Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

Drunk Canuck posted:

https://covid19.ontariohealth.ca/booking-home

They opened up bookings earlier than expected!

Looks like there aren't many slots available yet (and it's a given the Christmas week is probably low staff) though last times they staggered in bookings. It's a lot easier to get in to reschedule so may as well snag what you can regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Drunk Canuck posted:

Thanks, I booked appointments for myself and my sisters for Feb 1 (first available date). My parents are both over 70 so I already booked boosters for them.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

B33rChiller posted:

My social worker/therapist seemed to legitimately think BYOB was good for me when I discovered it, and shared that with her. "It's a message board just about being chill, and people are nice to each other." She seemed a little confused at first, but agreed I could use more chill.

If the overall goal was needing more chill, I get it but this seems a bit like going to a AA meeting that's located inside a bar.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I wholly reject the theory that the experiences of police are about "experiencing humanity at their worst" and it causes them to become bitter cynical assholes. I'm not buying it.

Maybe, maybe, that could be true if you're a cop on The Wire. You really going to tell me that the Ottawa PD are having the same experiences as Baltimore? And yet they're still huge pieces of poo poo. The vast majority of police are driving patrol cars around and showing up to take statements after the fact at a convenience store theft or hassling homeless people. This honestly sounds like someone has bought into the copaganda whole-heartedly about them being on the "front lines" and "protecting" us against the hordes of evil.

Cops are garbage across North America, there are examples from the tiniest town to the biggest metropolis. Try to find a new theory.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
Summer 2020 in Hamilton when we had the big tent city, there was a morning I was working there (maybe around 9 am), when a squad car drove up the street blaring music (Beatles I think) so loud that the cops partner who was riding shotgun has to cover her ears.

Dipshit cop was so focused on harassing homeless people he was willing to hurt his partners ears to do it.

Edit: this isn’t really a relevant story but this discussion reminded me of it

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Drunk Canuck posted:

Maybe it's because of where I am but I basically can't get in at all. The Ontario portal just redirects me to the York Region portal and vice versa, and every pharmacy I've checked just says nothing is available and will put me on a waitlist.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Fidelitious posted:

I wholly reject the theory that the experiences of police are about "experiencing humanity at their worst" and it causes them to become bitter cynical assholes. I'm not buying it.

Maybe, maybe, that could be true if you're a cop on The Wire. You really going to tell me that the Ottawa PD are having the same experiences as Baltimore? And yet they're still huge pieces of poo poo. The vast majority of police are driving patrol cars around and showing up to take statements after the fact at a convenience store theft or hassling homeless people. This honestly sounds like someone has bought into the copaganda whole-heartedly about them being on the "front lines" and "protecting" us against the hordes of evil.

Hey I've got to disagree with this part, most police interactions with the police are domestic disputes (ie men abusing women and children) and dealing with people in distress due to drugs and mental illness. It's a lovely, lovely job that they aren't properly equipped for because they're society's muscle and aren't taught or selected for empathy.

Fidelitious posted:

Cops are garbage across North America, there are examples from the tiniest town to the biggest metropolis.

Not disagreeing with this part.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Another Bill posted:

Hey I've got to disagree with this part, most police interactions with the police are domestic disputes (ie men abusing women and children) and dealing with people in distress due to drugs and mental illness. It's a lovely, lovely job that they aren't properly equipped for because they're society's muscle and aren't taught or selected for empathy.

Not disagreeing with this part.

Not disagreeing with the second part either, but yeah as the guy taking the emergency calls in the first place it's pretty naive to think that this poo poo isn't going down; most of my calls on nights are domestics, suicides, and other mental health crises. Again it's not an excuse for lovely behaviour (see former post re: social workers, paramedics, firefighters, etc) but this stuff is extremely prevalent. You'd be surprised.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

As someone with a friend who's a cop, he's told me some harrowing poo poo. Especially here in Winnipeg. It doesn't excuse the pieces of poo poo out there but tons of domestic abuse, kids screaming as their parents beat the poo poo out of each other, people out of their minds on drugs, and other poo poo will gently caress you up without the proper support.

Poodlebear
Aug 24, 2006

but if y'all put
feathers on a dog
that don't make it
no chicken
The Wire, in its wisdom, taught us that there are good and bad cops, just as there are good and bad criminals. It’s hard for me to imagine that’s a controversial take now, but here we are.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Vintersorg posted:

As someone with a friend who's a cop, he's told me some harrowing poo poo. Especially here in Winnipeg. It doesn't excuse the pieces of poo poo out there but tons of domestic abuse, kids screaming as their parents beat the poo poo out of each other, people out of their minds on drugs, and other poo poo will gently caress you up without the proper support.

One of my friends is a cop and we're in a low crime area - the overwhelming amount of cases he deals with is either fent related overdoses and alcohol fueled domestic violence.

The worst things he's seen is the bad parenting cases though (outside of the train suicides of course)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 10, 2022

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Fidelitious posted:

Cops are garbage across North America, there are examples from the tiniest town to the biggest metropolis. Try to find a new theory.

Hey if you are gonna quote me, use the whole thing

'same for any first responder, seeing people having the worst day of their lives, at their lowest, or most vulnerable, or worst'

Don't just cut it down to appear like I'm calling the people who police interact with 'humanity at their worst' like some thin blue line bullshit

Slotducks posted:

The worst things he's seen is the bad parenting cases though (outside of the train suicides of course)

My brother is a paramedic and has some horrible stories about train suicides, along the lines of 'and you'll never guess where we found his lungs!'

I think he said his worst calls are bad traffic accidents involving children

I don't know how he does it

Alctel fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 20, 2021

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Poodlebear posted:

The Wire, in its wisdom, taught us that there are good and bad cops, just as there are good and bad criminals. It’s hard for me to imagine that’s a controversial take now, but here we are.
Yeah and every good cop will do anything to prevent the bad cops from being held accountable.

I was in downtown Toronto working on an office move the weekend of the G20 back in 2010 and was loving kettled, detained and harassed by what seemed like the entire police force and you know what? Every one of those motherfuckers on the street wore a covering over their name tags. They put one of my coworkers in a loving *dog cage* and never bothered making up a charge to press, letting him out after about 8 hours which was later part of a class action law suit.

So yeah get hosed LOL.

Poodlebear
Aug 24, 2006

but if y'all put
feathers on a dog
that don't make it
no chicken
lmao you’re right gently caress da police guh guh guh G UNIT

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Isn't the wire about how the system breaks you down and makes you a lovely cop/person even if you start out with the best of intentions? (I'm pretty sure poodle is winding you up)

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Poodlebear posted:

lmao. not sure what's dumber, that you take your understanding of the real world from a 20 year old show or that you somehow came to this conclusion from watching that show. unless im being whooshed here and thats :thejoke:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
The Wire would've been better if it showed that the some of the cops, lawyers, journalists and politicians were using cocaine recreationally too.

Poodlebear
Aug 24, 2006

but if y'all put
feathers on a dog
that don't make it
no chicken
My theories are also informed by other more contemporary sources such as true detective, mare of easttown and bon cop bad cop

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Ahh you took it too far, nobody will believe anything you say is informed.

Was fun while it lasted.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
The forums equivalent of "uh it was just a prank", good.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Drunk Canuck posted:

Great news for everyone who'd planned to do it on time: Yall get to go gently caress yourselves!

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The Wire is copaganda. It brings up very good points about how society is hosed systemically but it's still copaganda.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The Shield was more entertaining anyway

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm curious as to which cop on the Wire was meant to be a positive example because the only one I can think of is maaaaybe Lester and I'm pretty sure he still participated in shady poo poo in the later seasons. The rest were all psychos or enablers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
McNulty

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Fine, psychos and/or enablers.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Bunny was a good cop and lost his job for it.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

drat, QC going full lockdown.

https://twitter.com/richardcitynews/status/1472994795324911616?s=21

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
laissons les anglophones mourir dans les rues, quand ils utiliseront leurs derniers souffles pour crier au secours sur les toits nous les regarderons de haut et dirons "Non"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Don't feed the narrative that still being able to shop at a mall, get a haircut, and then go sit down to eat at a restaurant is "full lockdown"

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Powershift posted:

Don't feed the narrative that still being able to shop at a mall, get a haircut, and then go sit down to eat at a restaurant is "full lockdown"

a) there’s like 5 people left on this website you can say whatever you want with 0 social consequence, b) you’re right I misread and thought restaurants were closed too, very weird to close bars but not restaurants imo.

Poodlebear
Aug 24, 2006

but if y'all put
feathers on a dog
that don't make it
no chicken

Pleads posted:

Ahh you took it too far, nobody will believe anything you say is informed.

Was fun while it lasted.

Almost had you guys believing cops were human beings lol smh can’t believe you fell for that obvious copaganda

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Starks posted:

a) there’s like 5 people left on this website you can say whatever you want with 0 social consequence, b) you’re right I misread and thought restaurants were closed too, very weird to close bars but not restaurants imo.

Kinda makes sense, bars can be extremely close contact and any semblance of contact tracing is impossible. At least with restaurants you have mostly single households or at least close contacts sitting at the same table (yes, yes it's airborne but distance still makes some difference)

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
The 5PM to 10PM window seems pretty bizarre to me.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

That's when COVID has its dinner break so restauarants are all good.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Starks posted:

very weird to close bars but not restaurants imo.

The theory behind that is that many bars barely have seating and encourage co-mingling with other patrons as opposed to a restaurant that can seat people down at a shielded booth and reasonably expect that the people sitting there may get up to use the washroom once but otherwise mostly stay put.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

InfiniteZero posted:

The theory behind that is that many bars barely have seating and encourage co-mingling with other patrons as opposed to a restaurant that can seat people down at a shielded booth and reasonably expect that the people sitting there may get up to use the washroom once but otherwise mostly stay put.

That's a wonderful theory except for the part where COVID is airborne and omicron is particular contagious.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

https://twitter.com/karlhess/status/1472645774664249344

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

PT6A posted:

That's a wonderful theory except for the part where COVID is airborne and omicron is particular contagious.

Yeah, I'm not condoning the theory, it's just the answer/rationalization that people who make public health orders use.