Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
The UK government has introduced a new measure to deal with Omicron:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Stickman posted:

Her hometown, Wasilla, currently has a ~150% infection prevalence since the beginning of the pandemic (for detected infections) and still manages to consistently have the highest daily infection rates in the state.

Thoughts and prayers. 🙏🏼

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Your favorite prez got the booster and gets booed lol

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1472970896004505600?s=20

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Stickman posted:

Her hometown, Wasilla, currently has a ~150% infection prevalence since the beginning of the pandemic (for detected infections) and still manages to consistently have the highest daily infection rates in the state.

Her church is also an apocalypse cult that believes Alaska will be a sanctuary for the righteous in the end times which are any day now.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

FogHelmut posted:

I've had a dry cough through the weekend. What are the odds that I got it again? I'm double Pfizer and had a breakthrough case in October. Aren't I still eligible for false positives from the last one?
Unfortunately, it looks like Omicron is pretty good at reinfecting people who had other variants. It's certainly possible this is another infection, but I don't think anyone could give you exact odds on your risk of contracting it. I would put the odds of a false positive from your previous infection as pretty low, but there are reports of people testing positive for months, so who the gently caress knows.

prom candy posted:

It's December so there's lots of colds going around but also I don't think being double vaxxed and having a breakthrough saves you from having a mild infection later. Only way to know for (mostly) sure is a PCR.
Right, as long as the PCR can detect Omicron through SGTF. Otherwise you need sequencing.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Her church is also an apocalypse cult that believes Alaska will be a sanctuary for the righteous in the end times which are any day now.
I mean, depending on how Alaska is positioned for climate change, this might be a fun case of right but for the wrong reasons.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

prom candy posted:

The last couple years have been a great time to be a pessimist.
Yes!

quote:

I'm sure it'll get worse though.

That's the spirit!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Animal-Mother posted:

Yes!

That's the spirit!

Haha thank you for acknowledging my stupid joke

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

I, the de facto leader of the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party, am surprised that leopards are eating my face.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Zugzwang posted:

Right, as long as the PCR can detect Omicron through SGTF. Otherwise you need sequencing.

All currently available PCR tests can detect Omicron, it's just some can't differentiate between it and other variants.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

goddamnedtwisto posted:

All currently available PCR tests can detect Omicron, it's just some can't differentiate between it and other variants.
Right, but getting SGTF would be indicative of a new infection rather than a residual false positive from their October one that was almost surely Delta.

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Actually there are three PCR tests that cannot detect Omicron at all and the FDA has recommended be pulled.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices...elivery#omicron

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Reuters is saying apparently Omicron accounted for 73% of all infections tested last week in the US alone :stare:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/omicron-fueled-covid-wave-crashes-into-new-york-days-before-christmas-2021-12-20/

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Meanwhile I know people posting photos of themselves taking their kids to see santa at the mall, maskless, after waiting in a huge line of also-maskless people. :coronatoot:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Severedseven posted:

I'm about one year out from when I got covid (teaching). I can smell things but it's all different now. Onions, garlic and coffee all smell like literal poo poo. Hand soaps and artificial fruit candy now smell identical to burning motor oil. Cardboard boxes smell like vomit.
My covid was mild. I bring this smell thing up whenever people bring up how most cases are mild. Most people don't understand what food is like when your smell gets hosed up.

My mom is currently suffering this, and has been for over a year, but we're not certain she ever had covid, since she has other ongoing conditions as well. I showed her your post and it made her feel better, because she isn't alone.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Reuters is saying apparently Omicron accounted for 73% of all infections tested last week in the US alone :stare:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/omicron-fueled-covid-wave-crashes-into-new-york-days-before-christmas-2021-12-20/

In hindsight, Omicron Georg, who lives in a cave and has 100,000 cases of the Omicron variant, was an outlier and shouldn't be counted.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MollyNagle3/status/1473083674002444288

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Ihmemies posted:

Well there is nothing you can do to anti-vaxers/anti-maskers except to let nature sort them out. If science and education and instructions are no good, what you can do? Get police/national guard to forcefully grab the unvaccinated and force adminster vaccines for them, against their will? Once you get the jab it will be too late and even cutting off your arm doesn't stop the vaccine from spreading inside you.
Vaccine mandates dramatically increase the proportion vaccinated. This "they'll never get the shot" fatalism just isn't true, empirically, for the vast majority of the unvaccinated.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1473032130984873988?s=20
:waycool:

epic random user
Dec 9, 2021

by sebmojo
Sounds like a good time to GET BACK TO WORK AND RESTART STUDENT LOANS

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

ShadowHawk posted:

Vaccine mandates dramatically increase the proportion vaccinated. This "they'll never get the shot" fatalism just isn't true, empirically, for the vast majority of the unvaccinated.

Yeah my cousin was antivax but it turns out he's more anti being on unpaid leave

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Britain is small but it isn't *that* small. The vast majority of Omicron so far has been in London, where it has almost completely displaced Delta - as always the provinces are lagging behind the avant garde.

This is however worrying for a different reason, in that levels in London were lower than much of the rest of the country for quite a while - while it's not yet been quantified, it certainly *suggests* that a lot of Omicron cases are waltzing straight past the conditions (vaccination, prior infection, and waaaaaaay down the list the minimal NPIs in place) that had kept cases low in London previously.

("Low" is of course a relative term here)

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I-I-I don't know how I feel about my son having two covids a day

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

At this point in time, S gene dropout is going to be indicative of Omicron 99.999% of the time.

The other variants that displayed that behavior were overwhelmingly crowded out by Delta.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Britain is small but it isn't *that* small. The vast majority of Omicron so far has been in London, where it has almost completely displaced Delta - as always the provinces are lagging behind the avant garde.

This is however worrying for a different reason, in that levels in London were lower than much of the rest of the country for quite a while - while it's not yet been quantified, it certainly *suggests* that a lot of Omicron cases are waltzing straight past the conditions (vaccination, prior infection, and waaaaaaay down the list the minimal NPIs in place) that had kept cases low in London previously.

("Low" is of course a relative term here)

No. There is no requirement for displacement when cross strain immunity is negligible.

It was already dominant in most regions days ago and delta growth remains flat or slowly increasing..

https://mobile.twitter.com/theosanderson/status/1472242014276173836

This is also being seen in Denmark.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ProfPHansen/status/1473046773916651527

Trevor Bedford discussed the likelihood of this last week, and again today.

https://mobile.twitter.com/trvrb/status/1472971352604770305

Hold onto your balls as we head into syndemic 2022.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Reuters/status/1473084648397938689

Blitter fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 21, 2021

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
A few pages back someone mentioned offhand that double masking isn’t recommended anymore, can anyone give a good synopsis of why that is? Inner mask interfering with fit of the outer, or something else?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Just wear a better single mask since they're widely available these days

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

bradburypancakes posted:

A few pages back someone mentioned offhand that double masking isn’t recommended anymore, can anyone give a good synopsis of why that is? Inner mask interfering with fit of the outer, or something else?

If it's two paper/cloth masks or whatever, you are not gaining any filtration effectiveness, you will just be breathing around the edges of the masks instead.

If the inner mask is a proper N95, it is already offering you sufficient protection; if it has an exhalation valve, blocking or covering it will interfere with the mask's ability to remain sealed.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Every single day we get an article saying Omicron is less severe than Delta and then another one saying no it isn't. Is it just choose your own pandemic at this point?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

prom candy posted:

Every single day we get an article saying Omicron is less severe than Delta and then another one saying no it isn't. Is it just choose your own pandemic at this point?

I was at the urgent care today and I over heard the nurses talking about how they have seen such a large number of positive tests the past few days but most people aren’t even that sick just minor stuff. They all remarked how weird it was after everything they’d previously seen.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
It takes time for severe illness to show up. Covid is generally mild at first, and then you get to play a fun waiting game over a week or two before you find out whether you're going to get hit by a truck.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Hopefully people aren't going to an Urgent Care for serious stuff instead of going to the ER.

Who am I kidding. This is USA, of course they are. Can't afford that ER copay or the insane out of pocket for the uninsured

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Woodsy Owl posted:

Hopefully people aren't going to an Urgent Care for serious stuff instead of going to the ER.

Who am I kidding. This is USA, of course they are. Can't afford that ER copay or the insane out of pocket for the uninsured

Most people I know go to the ER because they don't realize UC is a cheaper option (and more suited to mild issues or whatever u would normally see a PCP for but they're uninsured and don't have one....)

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

prom candy posted:

Study updated today with analysis of 11K omicron positive cases in London. This is not a speculative piece based of anecdotes or wishful thinking. It's a prestigious and well regarded institution, looking at a large sampleand saying:

"Imperial College of London posted:

(..) limited changes in severity compared with Delta.

(..). We found a significant increased risk of an Omicron case compared to Delta for those with vaccine status AZ 2+weeks post-dose 2 (PD2) , Pfizer 2+w PD2, AZ 2+w post-dose 3 (PD3) and PF 2+w PD3 vaccine states with hazard ratios of 1.86 (95%CI: 1.67-2.08), 2.68 (95%CI: 2.54-2.83), 4.32 (95%CI: 3.84-4.85) and 4.07 (95%CI: 3.66-4.51), respectively, where PD3 states are categorised by the dose 1/2 vaccine used. Depending on the Delta VE estimates used (10), these estimates translate into Omicron VE estimates of between 0% and 20% PD2 and between 55% and 80% PD3 against Omicron, consistent with other estimates (11). Similar estimates were obtained using genotype data, albeit with greater uncertainty.

(..) Omicron was associated with a 5.41 (95% CI: 4.87-6.00) fold higher risk of reinfection compared with Delta. This suggests relatively low remaining levels of immunity from prior infection.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Dec 21, 2021

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

There is 0 reason to double mask now, you can go to homedepot, buy a pack of 3m aura's or an elastomeric and be good to go

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Blitter posted:

Study updated today with analysis of 11K omicron positive cases in London. This is not a speculative piece based of anecdotes or wishful thinking. It's a prestigious and well regarded institution, looking at a large sampleand saying:

What data are they basing their 'limited change in severity' assertion on?

I don't think there's any doubt about the increased vaccine escape/reinfection risk but I haven't seen much either way indicating a change in severity beyond a lot of anecdotes.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

if you were serious about Covid you'd go double respirator :smug:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blitter posted:

No. There is no requirement for displacement when cross strain immunity is negligible.

It was already dominant in most regions days ago and delta growth remains flat or slowly increasing..

It's so drat fast. Delta was in the US as early as February but still took until June to become more prevalent than alpha: https://nextstrain.org/ncov/gisaid/north-america

Omicron pulled off the same trick in less than three weeks:
https://twitter.com/alexmeshkin/status/1472974374747602951

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

A funny observation I just had: they should just let Netflix take control of the COVID pandemic,
given they never let anything run past three
seasons.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

prom candy posted:

I read an article on CNN this morning that said case rates are surging in New York City but hospitalizations aren't. I kind of wonder if NYC (and Israel too) are going to be the real litmus tests for how Omicron actually affects people. NYC has a very high vaccination rate so I would think most cases would be breakthrough cases? But if the hospital numbers aren't really increasing then that might be a good indicator that omicron produces less severe illness.

And I don't know what the numbers are like in Israel right now but if I remember correctly I believe they also have a very high vax rate plus almost everyone that is vaxed has been boosted for a while now. So that might another test study to see what omicron does to a highly boosted population.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Wizard Master posted:

A funny observation I just had: they should just let Netflix take control of the COVID pandemic,
given they never let anything run past three
seasons.

Wizard Master's at it again~!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Everyone with Omicron will feel fine for a month and then drop dead. Mildly.