Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
Secret Santa provisions procured, parcel to be posted promptly.

It's shockingly difficult to find a bedazzled butt plug in South Houston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REN
Feb 14, 2001

Hayden posted:

It's shockingly difficult to find a bedazzled butt plug in South Houston.

There easier to find in Austin...

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
I suppose I should have specified "new," not "lightly used." That's on me.

Doctor Medic
Apr 15, 2013

Going to space today!
Hoping to get my santee their present out early next week! I'm in infosec and the last few days have been ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Jesus Christ the Mac Baren HH Rustica is no loving joke. I had to put my pipe down ten minutes in. Tastes good if you like Virginias and burley!

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
Santa gift away!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

NewFatMike posted:

Jesus Christ the Mac Baren HH Rustica is no loving joke. I had to put my pipe down ten minutes in. Tastes good if you like Virginias and burley!

Yeah it's hardcore, and tastes good. But every time I smoke a burley mix I can't help but wonder why I'm not just buying Prince Albert and paying 1/10 the cost.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Santa gift in the mail today!

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Should finish up mine this weekend and get it shipped early next week

Doctor Medic
Apr 15, 2013

Going to space today!
Dear Santa,

You are a gentleperson, a scholar, a purveyor of only the finest things in life. I am going to enjoy *the hell* out of all of this.

Merry Wintertide, everyone!

edited to add: holy poo poo this jerky is amazing

Doctor Medic fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 17, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Doctor Medic posted:

Dear Santa,

You are a gentleperson, a scholar, a purveyor of only the finest things in life. I am going to enjoy *the hell* out of all of this.

Merry Wintertide, everyone!

edited to add: holy poo poo this jerky is amazing

Is the jerky the small jar that looks like the bottle of red flakes on every table at Pizza Hut since (at least) the ‘80s? I hope so…fresh jerky is better than factory-pressed chunks, and I like factory-pressed chunks! What is the meat and what spice or flavor is it? Share! Share!
:allears:

Doctor Medic
Apr 15, 2013

Going to space today!

DerekSmartymans posted:

Is the jerky the small jar that looks like the bottle of red flakes on every table at Pizza Hut since (at least) the ‘80s? I hope so…fresh jerky is better than factory-pressed chunks, and I like factory-pressed chunks! What is the meat and what spice or flavor is it? Share! Share!
:allears:

The little jar of red pepper flakes are apparently habs, chocolate ghosts, yelow fatalii, and red XVILL peppers! They smell amazing and taste incredible, I sprinkled some on olive oil and dipped some bread in. Real zip, great flavor!

The meat is homemade venison jerky from a deer that was extremely recently alive! It has no gamey flavour at all, and is a little bit sweet and just the right amount spicy, with an absolutely perfect texture. I actually do know who my santa was, and they've been exceptionally generous and kind.

<3 to everyone! To my Santee: You will be getting your present! I am just waiting on Fedex so I can ship it to you.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Doctor Medic posted:

The meat is homemade venison jerky from a deer that was extremely recently alive! It has no gamey flavour at all, and is a little bit sweet and just the right amount spicy, with an absolutely perfect texture.

Ah, ok. I got excited because one of my best friends on the school bus always shared the “tailings” of his dad’s deer jerky with me. No chunks or slabs, just spices and quality meat-shavings in a plastic sandwich bag. It was soooo good, but it looked just like the “flakes” in your picture! Nostalgia can bring memories from nowhere (1985-1990 came back as a full-sensory rush seeing that jar and “jerky” in the same sentence!
:corsair:).

Doctor Medic
Apr 15, 2013

Going to space today!
Santee, your gift is going out TODAY!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

My gift arrived! The other day, but I was busy and phone broke so THANK YOU MR WIGGLES!!

I had a bowl last night and this might be my favorite pipe tobacco yet - I just learned Presbyterian Mixture is a Balkan, so I’ve been barking up the wrong tree with English blends haha!

My gift should be going out today as well, apologies for the delay!

Doctor Medic
Apr 15, 2013

Going to space today!
Santee, your gift is ON THE WAY!

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Thank you mystery Santa!!

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!
East Bay Tobacco Shop Reviews, Part I

Whelan's Smoke Shop, Berkeley, CA

Summary: It's a head shop that sells some premium tobacco stuff, mostly a rip-off, but it's there in Berkeley if you are rich and desperate. However, their tinned tobacco does have some age (1 to 2 years) on it because it doesn't move too fast.

Whelan's is kind of a Telegraph Avenue institution at this point; it has outlasted pretty much every store on the same block, and many many others between UC Berkeley and Oakland. It's in a prime location: directly across the street from campus, surrounded by tens of thousands of Berkeley students and staff. Of course, being on Telegraph, it is also a head shop. They also happen to be one of the few brick and mortar places in the East Bay to buy pipe tobacco and cigars (not counting BevMo or liquor stores). The store is a crowded arrangement of display cases filled with Zippos, glass pipes, bongs, ashtrays, vaporizers, and other smoking paraphernalia of all types.

The pipe tobacco and tobacco pipes are displayed behind the counter just inside the entrance. They have a small assortment of Peterson and Mac Baren tins, some big jars of bulk tobaccos, and some pouches of stuff like Borkum Riff and Captain Black. They have a selection of briar and meerschaum pipes, but I don't think I've ever spotted one in the case from a known maker. They also have about a wall's worth of cigars. Despite the presence of "premium" tobacco, they are definitely paying most of their rent selling glass, and vape stuff, and lighters. (I almost wonder if they own the building somehow, now that I'm thinking about it, because the rent for that location must be insane.)

Over the years I have purchased a few tins of pipe tobacco there, a couple of beater no-name briars, and a couple of ashtrays. I don't go there very often, despite the stellar location, because the prices are astronomical. However, sometimes you can get them to haggle, so I'll go in from time to time and see if I can find any semblance of a reasonable price. Usually the answer to that question is no, and I walk.

The older fellow, who I think is the owner (he's been around for at least the last 15 years), seems somewhat helpful and knowledgeable, but he's definitely more concerned with making a sale than satisfying customers, in my opinion. That goes for pretty much everyone in the shop. The younger folks on the sales team will stare blankly when you ask them about things like pipe cleaners, so they are fairly useless unless you want to buy a vape. I wouldn't recommend going to Whelan's without already knowing what you want and a reasonable price to pay.

The last item I bought there was a Comoy's pipe ashtray
https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/ashtrays/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=235606
which is out of stock on smokingpipes.com to this very day. I saw it tucked in amongst an assortment of ashtrays with spikes for cleaning glass MJ pipe bowls, and recognized it immediately. I managed to talk them down to about $35 from $40. I figured it's gonna cost at least $25 + S&H online, so that seemed reasonable.

Today it dawned on me that they couldn't be moving pipe tobacco tins very quickly, and there might be some age on those tins that would make their price worthwhile. I popped in and first asked what they were asking for the 50g tins of the Peterson stuff. The price was $30 per tin. I asked if that was the cash price and the owner indicated that, today, this would be a firm price. I asked to look at the tins (so I could check the date code on the back) and found that, of the two tins I looked at, both were from 2020 and in good condition (seal seemed fine, no corrosion). So, there is some age to be found, but it's gonna cost you. I decided not to pick any up just yet. If I decide later that $30 for almost two years of age on a tin is an appropriate amount to pay, I can always go back.

I don't really recommend visiting Whelan's at all. I wouldn't ever go there myself but for its location. It's not even the best head shop on Telegraph. But, if you are in the East Bay, and want to find some tins with a little age, and you have the money, it might be worth checking out. I wish I knew much of anything about cigars so I could review that portion of the shop, but I don't, so I won't.

Howard The Dork fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 21, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I have shipped my Santee’s gift today as well! I hope you enjoy it and don’t throw away the Kraft paper roll, there’s a cigar in there :v:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

My gift arrived! The other day, but I was busy and phone broke so THANK YOU MR WIGGLES!!

I had a bowl last night and this might be my favorite pipe tobacco yet - I just learned Presbyterian Mixture is a Balkan, so I’ve been barking up the wrong tree with English blends haha!

My gift should be going out today as well, apologies for the delay!

Well Merry Christmas! Balkans are a long and adventurous path which to tread, but you will be well rewarded by your journey.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I’ve had another bowl today and am likely to go for another before bed, that Rainier Levant is an excellent blend. Thank you so much!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Dramatika posted:

Thank you mystery Santa!!

I mentioned it on the Discord, but this was from me! That's the hygrometer I mentioned upthread. I also picked up a second one for myself, I really like it.

Howard The Dork posted:

Whelan's review.

Yo sup Bay Area goon! Back when I used to smoke hookah Whelan's was also just so so, although one of their house blends did provide the best single bowl I ever smoked. Maybe I should pop in and see what their cigar spread is like.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!

Kenning posted:

Yo sup Bay Area goon!

Wut up!

Kenning posted:

Maybe I should pop in and see what their cigar spread is like.

It could be fun and interesting, but I can't, in good conscience, encourage you to go even a little bit out of your way to visit Whelan's. They *might* do better with cigars, some folks on Yelp seem to think they are OK.

I'm planning on revisiting Schmidt's for the first time in about a decade, and eventually I might pop into the Piedmont Tobacconist. I've been pretty exclusively getting stuff online since I reignited my pipe passion over the pandemic after a years long hiatus.

It's a bummer that Grant's in San Francisco closed. That place was top notch.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Been smoking more pipe tobacco lately than cigars to give my palate a little rest. Had some Seattle Evening this morning, Mac Baren HH Rustica for lunch, and some more Rainier Levant now.

A Tatuaje Havana VI Lonsdale is on the menu after dinner tonight, and I’m looking forward to it.

Somewhat more recently, I picked up a My Father Garcia y Garcia Toro Deluxe for my first smoke of the new year, and that thing looks incredible. Really thrilled about that upcoming trip report!

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Package is in the mail, might even get to my santee by Christmas

Doctor Medic
Apr 15, 2013

Going to space today!
Santee, your gift IS IN YOUR TOWN!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I got my gift! It probably came in on Christmas Eve, but I was out of town, so I received it on Boxing Day instead. I'll post pics first thing tomorrow!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Santee, your present lives with the post office now

Hopefully it makes it to you, it just says "In Transit, Arriving Late" which tracks since it was supposed to be delivered last week :v:

Doctor Medic
Apr 15, 2013

Going to space today!
Santee, YOUR PRESENT IS DELIVERED! At least I sure hope so!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Well I'm not sure who my Santa is, as there was no note or anything, but whoever they are they're very cool! Thanks, Santa!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

🎵 when your gift has a guy / with his hands round his thighs/ that’s from Mori🎵

@Doctor Medic

Doctor Medic
Apr 15, 2013

Going to space today!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Well I'm not sure who my Santa is, as there was no note or anything, but whoever they are they're very cool! Thanks, Santa!

Yep, that was me! Merry late-Candlenights! <3

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Wiggles has now been inducted into the society of the Goatstand.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I am dilated with honor!

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

NewFatMike posted:

Santee, your present lives with the post office now

Hopefully it makes it to you, it just says "In Transit, Arriving Late" which tracks since it was supposed to be delivered last week :v:

It finally showed up! Holiday deliveries plus a decent amount of snow slowed them down.

This is awesome! Thank you for the great gift NFM!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

YAY YAY YAY!! I hope you enjoy it!

If you like the Malört, you’re in great company. If you don’t, you’re still in great company 😹

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
Met up with some old friends last night for the first time in way too long. We had dinner, and while the kids played we smoked some RyJ Cedero No. 2.

Both the smokes and the company were excellent.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

NewFatMike posted:

YAY YAY YAY!! I hope you enjoy it!

If you like the Malört, you’re in great company. If you don’t, you’re still in great company 😹

I didn't see any markings on the cigar, do you know what it is or was it just a random grab bag stick?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Maksimus54 posted:

I didn't see any markings on the cigar, do you know what it is or was it just a random grab bag stick?

That’s a custom rolled Cuban, should be a Johnny-O 1966.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Oh snap! It had that cubano smell to it but that's so neat.

Kenning any update on your gift?