Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Anybody ever put together a swing set?

I bought a set of brackets similar to these: https://www.amazon.com/BETOOLL-Brac...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

It's going to hold a porch type swing. Do any of you have any advice on how long the 4x4 legs should be and the 4x6 top beam should be?

Any general advice on hanging a swing of that type?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Generally speaking--very "rule of thumb" here--can you put, like, sizable planters on a townhouse rooftop? Or will they be too heavy?

We're talking about planters for, like, vegetable/herb garden, not like trees or anything.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

This isn't really a Fix It Fast post, I just wanna say this Aerodyne fan loving owns and it moves air like a boss and even on the middle settings it actually cools my room to the point that I have to bundle up in a comforter, which my old fan could never do. It's great. Now if only Apple Home could connect to it like it's supposed to...

Also how much rocking is too much for a ceiling fan? I don't THINK mine rocks enough to be a problem that needs fixing — it didn't seem to before I installed the light kit — but any time I see a fan rock I worry that it might fall off the ceiling regardless.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Did you replace the box like people suggested?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There should be a "balancing kit" in the box (easily glanced over/thrown away), usually a plastic clip, maybe some stick on weights. You put the clip on a blade, if the fan rocks less while that blade has a clip on it, apply a stick on weight to the blade where you had the clip. If it rocks more, move on to another blade. Repeat until rocking is minimized.

Or

Take down the blades, weigh the blades on a very sensitive scale and trim material until all the blades are within a tight tolerance of each other, whichever is the lightest from the start.

The "balancing kit" is faster.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Thanatosian posted:

Generally speaking--very "rule of thumb" here--can you put, like, sizable planters on a townhouse rooftop? Or will they be too heavy?

We're talking about planters for, like, vegetable/herb garden, not like trees or anything.

Dirt is really heavy. I would not recommend doing this without being quite confident that your roof can support it. It probably can't. At the very least, it can't while also maintaining a sufficient safety margin against other loads (like snow if applicable, new layers of the roof, workers walking around on it, etc).

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Take down the blades, weigh the blades on a very sensitive scale and trim material until all the blades are within a tight tolerance of each other, whichever is the lightest from the start.

actually.... where you remove material matters. It's not about absolute mass, it's about center of mass.

Similarly, where you place the balance kit weight matters. If you place the clip on the end of the blade, it'll make a bigger difference than if you place it closer to the center.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, I thought about that a bit ago. The shaving off weight was a method I was told about by an old timer, that realistically isn't a good option for lots of reasons. I've never done it, because it's dumb for a cheap fan, and anything really expensive will be balanced during manufacturing.

Here's a youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XayZbaLXmU

Honestly easier to convey how to do it with video than trying to describe it like box instructions.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Dirt is really heavy. I would not recommend doing this without being quite confident that your roof can support it. It probably can't. At the very least, it can't while also maintaining a sufficient safety margin against other loads (like snow if applicable, new layers of the roof, workers walking around on it, etc).

These would be rooftop porches, like designed to be used as patio space. Does that make a difference?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Thanatosian posted:

These would be rooftop porches, like designed to be used as patio space. Does that make a difference?

yeah that's a big difference. A space designed to hold people would also be able to bear some planters without issue. Herb and garden planters are fine to put on porches (rooftop or otherwise), just secure them so that they don't fall down on to people below if there's an accident. Sometimes HOA's have rules around porch gardens because of this.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Thanatosian posted:

It does make a significant difference. A small herb garden shouldn't be a problem. You can think about it in terms of your patio's max occupancy -- for every ~200 pounds of dirt, water, etc. you put on the patio, that's one less person you can safely have on there.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Suburban Dad posted:

Did you replace the box like people suggested?

Hey, this is the Fix it Fast thread, not the Fix it Right thread :colbert:

But yeah, most fans will wobble a little bit unless you balance them. The big question is the wobble confined to the hanging mass on the downrod? Or is the support bracket and (I presume original octagon) box wobbling too?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My wife decided she wanted an accent wall in our basement family room and painted it yesterday. After two coats, there are a fair number of uneven areas that after some research are due to not enough paint being on the roller and it being applied unevenly/too thin.

Would a couple more coats of evenly-applied paint take care of these? We tried to do a touch-up job last night and it still doesn't look great. Or will the spots need to be sanded and repainted?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Alright, people with larger wooded lots, what the hell do I do with all these leaves? Traditionally I've had either smaller, less leafy yards where you just raked everything to the curb and the city took it, or I just mulched them with the mower. The mower isn't mulching them thoroughly enough to keep up, and my new town only takes bagged leaves, which would be an impossible task.

I'm afraid just leaving them will turn the yard into a giant mud pit for my dogs, otherwise I'd just let nature run it's course. I really don't care about the aesthetics. I'm not a weird yard guy, I just want a functional yard.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There are leaf vacuum/blower combos out there that will have a bag you attach to the blowing end, and a giant nozzle you attach to the sucking side. Then you just dump the bag into a lined trash bin.

Can't use them when the leaves are wet or they'll gum it up, but the one I had years ago worked great.

Alternatively, lay your trash can down and rake into it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

There are leaf vacuum/blower combos out there that will have a bag you attach to the blowing end, and a giant nozzle you attach to the sucking side. Then you just dump the bag into a lined trash bin.

Can't use them when the leaves are wet or they'll gum it up, but the one I had years ago worked great.

Yeah, getting them gathered up isn't an issue, I don't even mind just raking them, but there's just way too many to dispose of. I'm trying not to exaggerate, but I'd guess I'd be filling at least a hundred compost bags.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Do you garden, and might you have a use for compost? You could start your own pile. Or use the tried and true method of pushing them onto someone else's lot so it can be their problem.

You might contact a local lawn service, they'll just bring a mower with a hopper attachment. When I did lawn service, we'd lay out tarps, dump the hopper on the tarps, fold/tie them up, toss them on the trailer and either dump them in the woods, or at a local dumpsite ran by the county, but usually the woods. It will obviously cost you, but it's your money or your back/time.

When I was a kid, we'd just burn them all, but this isn't the 80s.

Also leaves compact pretty drat good, you probably won't need half the bags you think you will, unless you already know from doing it before.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Yeah, I started bagging them today and stopped when I'd barely made a dent 10 bags in, compressing them as much as possible. That's 3 weeks after my last raking where I just made a gigantic pile all along the tree line at the back of my yard (the last 40 feet or so of my property is dense woods), mowing every week since.

For ecological reasons, I don't love the idea of burning them, but I'm currently looking into the legality of that option in my town.

My only hope long term is that some of this will be mitigated by getting a mower that mulches better. I'll be upgrading to a riding mower sometime next year from the Ryobi electric that I'm using now.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Have you sharpened the blade on the mower? Depending on how often you mow and how large your lawn is, that's something you might want to start doing once or twice a season. There are services that will do it for you, but they'll generally want you to bring them the blade only. Typically lawn equipment and small engine repair shops will do it.

Mulching with a dull blade gets you what it sounds like you already have.

Is there a county dump site open for leaf season?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Burning leaves isn't going to ruin the environment. It's mostly banned in urban areas because morons do it on a windy day and start a grassfire or burn on single lot and cause an asthma attack because the smoke goes into all the neighbors windows.

If you're on a large property and have a garden hose to wet the surrounding grass and burning leaves isn't prohibited just burn them.

If you are concerned about your neighbors just knock and let them know you are going to burn some leaves beforehand.

As long as the leaves are relatively dry they won't put out much smoke and will burn very fast.

There are even large trashcan style leaf burning pits you can buy if you are nervous about burning them uncontained.

Also plenty of guides online if you are nervous about safety and want to Google it.

Example
https://www.thisoldhouse.com/yards/21541802/all-about-burning-leaves

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Motronix has a large-volume mulcher he uses for leaves; I assume he'll show up soon and tell you.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If I had that many leaves I would be happy to give business to a local lawn care company. Thumbtack is great for finding such people. I bet it wouldn't even be that expensive.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
Look carefully at your garbage disposal services contract. I live in an urban area and they will pick up 10 extra big rear end bags of yard waste something like 5 times a year as part of the service I pay for. It just needs to be scheduled with them ahead the regular pickup day.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Totally new here to replacing doors.
I want to replace this door, but it has a measurement of 31.5 by 79 inches. Closest standard size I can find is 32 by 79. If I bought a wooden door, would it be reasonable to sand a few inches off both sides?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

zaepg posted:

I want to replace this door, but it has a measurement of 31.5 by 79 inches. Closest standard size I can find is 32 by 79. If I bought a wooden door, would it be reasonable to sand a few inches off both sides?

You can take some material off of the edge of the door, sure, though I'd really recommend a saw instead of sandpaper. Removing 1/2"x1"x79" of wood with sandpaper would be labor-intensive and generate a fuckton of fine wood dust.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there a tool thread? I want to get my dad a one-handed reciprocating saw for Christmas because all he has is a giant corded two-handed one but I’m not sure where to ask for advice.

TheBeardedCrazy
Nov 23, 2004
Beer Baron

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Any better option than rake and trash can if the leaves are wet? I've got limited free time and usually the leaves are still damp if it isn't raining

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there a tool thread? I want to get my dad a one-handed reciprocating saw for Christmas because all he has is a giant corded two-handed one but I’m not sure where to ask for advice.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3384038&pagenumber=379&perpage=40

Most are going to be two handed because you want to use some leverage etc when hacking through poo poo.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

TheBeardedCrazy posted:

Any better option than rake and trash can if the leaves are wet? I've got limited free time and usually the leaves are still damp if it isn't raining

Honestly, don't rake them up when they're wet (or pay a service to come do it, mine has some kind of attachment on their truck that sucks the leaves up). Raking leaves kind of sucks. They make good insulation for plants, though, and if by "wooded" you mean that it's basically a forest you really should just leave them there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You can take some material off of the edge of the door, sure, though I'd really recommend a saw instead of sandpaper. Removing 1/2"x1"x79" of wood with sandpaper would be labor-intensive and generate a fuckton of fine wood dust.

I could do it perfectly in five minutes with one of my hand planes, or OK with sawhorses, a guide, and a circular saw, or make a horrible mess with a belt sander, yeah. Doors are constructed specifically to be cut down a bit.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

zaepg posted:

That looks like it is a very standard factory door. See if you can measure one in the store or something. A 32" door may in fact measure the same as yours and this may be yet another a case of actual dimension differing from nominal dimension in the building trades.

It's also pretty usual to have to trim doors down a bit. A power or hand plane or circular saw is the best tool for this. Trying to sand it down is doing to take forever and also probably look bad unless you are really, really good with a belt sander.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

tater_salad posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3384038&pagenumber=379&perpage=40

Most are going to be two handed because you want to use some leverage etc when hacking through poo poo.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2788369

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 20, 2021

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Wallet posted:

Honestly, don't rake them up when they're wet (or pay a service to come do it, mine has some kind of attachment on their truck that sucks the leaves up). Raking leaves kind of sucks. They make good insulation for plants, though, and if by "wooded" you mean that it's basically a forest you really should just leave them there.

Yeah, unless they are so thick that they are going to smother your grass just leave them where they lie. If you need to move them off the grass, blow them into the trees rather than trying to bag them and curb them.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Agreed you should literally just huck them in the woods, it's what my parents do in a similar situation. You can drag them on a tarp. If it's dense woods, they don't blow out significantly.

e: you can also huck your Christmas tree in the woods

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

when the vent covers are attached to the soffit and the internal ductwork, what are they screwed into exactly? one of mine won't stay on tight, but I'm not sure if the screw itself has unthreaded, or if the issue is whatever it screws into.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
After spending my life in houses with forced air heating my new house has hot water radiators, so I'm not entirely familiar with all aspects of their operation. The basement has a baseboard heater that I'd like to have put out a bit more heat. The heater doesn't have any valves or controls on it, but it's on it's own loop with quarter-turn valves on both ends near the boiler:

The PO left them both half open and I'm not sure why. I assume that if I open them further I would get more circulation and thus more heat. Does that have the potential to increase pressure and risk problems, or since it's a closed loop would the valves only affect flow?

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
We are in the Pacific Northwest. Our home has a crawl space, and there is a crawl space fan that seems to circulate air from the outside through the crawl space. It's about to get mighty cold (-8 Celsius) and we will be out of town for the Christmas weekend. I am concerned with our pipes freezing while we are away.

I can't find any information on if crawlspace fans stop running once they hit a certain temperature, and if so, what that temperature is.

A couple questions. How likely is it that our pipes would freeze in the crawlspace? This house was built in 2019, and I'm not sure if it is all plastic pipes or what.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Woodsy Owl posted:

We are in the Pacific Northwest. Our home has a crawl space, and there is a crawl space fan that seems to circulate air from the outside through the crawl space. It's about to get mighty cold (-8 Celsius) and we will be out of town for the Christmas weekend. I am concerned with our pipes freezing while we are away.

I can't find any information on if crawlspace fans stop running once they hit a certain temperature, and if so, what that temperature is.

A couple questions. How likely is it that our pipes would freeze in the crawlspace? This house was built in 2019, and I'm not sure if it is all plastic pipes or what.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated

While you're out of town slow trickle the furthest faucet in the house from where water enters the house.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

TerminalSaint posted:

After spending my life in houses with forced air heating my new house has hot water radiators, so I'm not entirely familiar with all aspects of their operation. The basement has a baseboard heater that I'd like to have put out a bit more heat. The heater doesn't have any valves or controls on it, but it's on it's own loop with quarter-turn valves on both ends near the boiler:

The PO left them both half open and I'm not sure why. I assume that if I open them further I would get more circulation and thus more heat. Does that have the potential to increase pressure and risk problems, or since it's a closed loop would the valves only affect flow?

Are you sure your radiators don’t have bleeder valves at the ends of the runs to allow you to get any air out of the lines? That’s your typical seasonal maintenance move to make sure your baseboards are getting as hot as they should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

The Dave posted:

Are you sure your radiators don’t have bleeder valves at the ends of the runs to allow you to get any air out of the lines? That’s your typical seasonal maintenance move to make sure your baseboards are getting as hot as they should.

Yeah, the ends of the radiator are just elbows like so:

There is a spigot on the return line which I assume it there for bleeding: