Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Anyone else watching their body really change through Jiu Jitsu? Not to toot my own horn, but holy poo poo Ive gotten stronger just over the past 6 months. Im leaner, stronger and my endurance has been crazy lately.

I noticed this a lot right before the plague hit. I was in probably the best shape of my life.

It's been almost 2 years now since I could regularly do hugfighting and I've noticed just how hard it is to get good exercise in without the fun of rolling. It just feels like a chore to exercise at the moment.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

mazel tov!

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Drewjitsu posted:

That's a good colour shared by very handsome men of high caliber. :mummyface::hf::mummyface:

Purple belt best belt, congrats! If it makes you feel any better, I know a guy who spent 10 years at white.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Anyone else watching their body really change through Jiu Jitsu? Not to toot my own horn, but holy poo poo Ive gotten stronger just over the past 6 months. Im leaner, stronger and my endurance has been crazy lately. I cut out the poo poo from my diet and am basically only on protein (fish and chicken only), rice and veggies. Lots of fruit. Little to no sugar in my diet. Its made a huge improvement. My wife says my stomach looks like Mr Pilates :D

Doing BJJ all the time keeps me looking and feeling like I did back when I was weightlifting seriously and jogging on the rest days... but that routine felt like a serious grind, and BJJ is just so drat fun that it doesn't feel like a chore at all (ok, maybe drilling does a little bit).

But yeah, it's kind of wild how much of a difference it makes, especially among the 30+ crowd that my gym is full of. I don't go out much these days, so my brain has adjusted to the guys at my gym being average-looking, and then on the rare occasions when I *do* go out, I'm reminded of just how different the "out-of-shape" regulars look compared to the average guys their age.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Nestharken posted:

I know a guy who spent 10 years at white.

including injury and time i couldn't train due to work, this is me

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Grats!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

including injury and time i couldn't train due to work, this is me

I'm probably never going to get my black belt. I've been training since 2007.

:smith:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Drewjitsu posted:

I'm probably never going to get my black belt. I've been training since 2007.

:smith:

06 here. Worked a m-t travel job for a number of years and then moved to a new city. Then lost a year to COVID. Black belt is a big deal promotion so I don't think this new spot is going to be in much of a hurry just from the social perspective.

My best bet is a pity promotion from one of my buddies back home when they hit the time requirements for second or third or whatever degree let's people promote to black.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

06 here. Worked a m-t travel job for a number of years and then moved to a new city. Then lost a year to COVID. Black belt is a big deal promotion so I don't think this new spot is going to be in much of a hurry just from the social perspective.

My best bet is a pity promotion from one of my buddies back home when they hit the time requirements for second or third or whatever degree let's people promote to black.

Honestly, I thought about going back to my original gym just to see if I could a promotion, but I know that's not realistic.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
My before-covid gym promoted strictly on the old Gracie self defense stuff. Ive never had much enthusiasm for it. I'm in My 40s, haven't been anywhere near a fight since I was I college. I'm in it strictly for the fun and sport, any self defense benefits are secondary. My gym also only taught the self defense stuff during the beginner classes, which I don't usually attend, or private le$$sons. I came into the gym with a 5 year-old judo blackbelt and it still took them 2 years to reluctantly give me a blue belt. They gave me a few stripes and kept telling me to study the SD stuff. The stripes kept coming off in the wash and I stopped caring and after covid I've lost touch with the gym entirely so I too am an orphaned no-stripe blue belt going on 7 or 8 years now.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Drewjitsu posted:

Honestly, I thought about going back to my original gym just to see if I could a promotion, but I know that's not realistic.

Ya sometimes I think about reaching out too. I really like my old coach, similar vibes.

I've made my peace with it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

Ya sometimes I think about reaching out too. I really like my old coach, similar vibes.

I've made my peace with it.

For me, it's a 13 hour car ride, so it's very much off the table.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The AGF tournament in Biloxi MS just let a kid who looked to be about 13 and 120 lbs fight in the adult, GI, white belt, challenge bracket of up to 175.

My gym mate, who wrestled in HS and ended up winning every no GI, GI, and challenge match except for the very final match of the event, and who weighed in at a very lean and muscular 174.5, got assigned to fight him.

Look, my gym mate is not a mean dude, but that kid had absolutely no business in that bracket and my buddy choked him unconscious with an Ezekiel. I want to know what gym let that kid sign up for challenge because he absolutely should not have.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

ihop posted:

I came into the gym with a 5 year-old judo blackbelt and it still took them 2 years to reluctantly give me a blue belt. They gave me a few stripes and kept telling me to study the SD stuff.

I’ve always wondered what would happen if you trained at a place that insisted on paying for gradings and stuff, and you just never attended them. I figure they would have to promote you eventually to save themselves the embarassment of having their purple belts consistently smashed by a white belt.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Got pretzled by a big hairy dude named 'koala' today. Forgot how much I enjoy this sport. Also my instructor got instructed to 'grab their foot in a threatening manner' while rolling before class by the boss. His words were 'give em something to think about while you un-gently caress yourself' but still, lol

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I’ve always wondered what would happen if you trained at a place that insisted on paying for gradings and stuff, and you just never attended them. I figure they would have to promote you eventually to save themselves the embarassment of having their purple belts consistently smashed by a white belt.

I figured they'd eventually just give me one, but it never happened. Right before covid hit the coach and assistant coach would tell me virtually every practice that I "need to get my purple real soon." This gym was getting pretty weird about promotions and TBH I wasn't looking forward to crossing that bridge at that school. They've always done the gauntlet for promotions, which I view as nothing more than hazing. When others would get promoted I'd just go wait in the locker room until the whippings were done. Furthermore, the assistant coach (who really runs the gym) started "testing" everybody's self defense as criteria for promotion. This meant demoing a few standing SD techniques, then putting the coach in your guard and he would start wailing on you, and you're supposed to "survive" long enough for him to be satisfied. Before I left this was escalating in an alarming manner, a friend of mine tested for a stripe on his blue belt and got a headbutt broken nose to go with it.

Really I was just not a good fit at this gym and should have left much sooner but it was very close to my house and they gave me an ok discount for teaching judo once a week.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ihop posted:

I figured they'd eventually just give me one, but it never happened. Right before covid hit the coach and assistant coach would tell me virtually every practice that I "need to get my purple real soon." This gym was getting pretty weird about promotions and TBH I wasn't looking forward to crossing that bridge at that school. They've always done the gauntlet for promotions, which I view as nothing more than hazing. When others would get promoted I'd just go wait in the locker room until the whippings were done. Furthermore, the assistant coach (who really runs the gym) started "testing" everybody's self defense as criteria for promotion. This meant demoing a few standing SD techniques, then putting the coach in your guard and he would start wailing on you, and you're supposed to "survive" long enough for him to be satisfied. Before I left this was escalating in an alarming manner, a friend of mine tested for a stripe on his blue belt and got a headbutt broken nose to go with it.

Really I was just not a good fit at this gym and should have left much sooner but it was very close to my house and they gave me an ok discount for teaching judo once a week.

:stonk:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ihop posted:

I started out reading this thinking "that isn't so bad" or "I've been to gyms that did that" but it just kept going downhill. That gym does not sound good at all.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I trained at a gym with a promotion fee and they would quietly waive it if you were a good student and couldn't afford it.

I'm not a huge fan on the concept but at least that version was tempered a bit with some empathy.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
The funniest to me was when the coaches either went to a Valente bros seminar, or changed affiliations I never found out except one Monday suddenly there's 7-5-3 code poo poo all over the gym, new rashguards and gi patches, and it's made clear that even though nobody has ever heard of this stuff it's suddenly very important to us and has always been.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Lol no wait I just remembered the best thing that happened there. Several of the brown belts were up for promotion, which meant most of them spent months practicing self defense kata. I know that adherence to the Gracie Diet (book sold at front desk) was also one of the requirements, and at least a few were doing that. They all arranged travel down to Miami for the weekend, paid I believe $1000 for the testing seminar. I don't know what all was involved in the testing, because of course it's supposed to be secret, but I do know it involved the type of "testing" I described above, except by seasoned blackbelts who they probably never met before, and who were more than happy to beat the poo poo out of them. They returned with a couple black eyes, the strongest competitor among them got a concussion, aaaand zero new blackbelts. The final gently caress-you-guys was that, according to the gym rumor mill, the only reason they weren't promoted was that the affiliate heads thought there were too many new blackbelts that year and needed to hold some back.

I kind of memory-holed that because it didn't directly affect me and I was having a kid at the time so I had other poo poo on my mind, but that was when I decided that they could give me a purple belt if they wanted, but I wasn't sticking around long enough for brown and definitely not black. That was around the summer time before covid, and I believe the owner dropped the affiliation after that, but man, I don't think I could even continue coaching if I took a student to what SHOULD be one of the greatest moments of their grappling life and instead let them pay a stranger to assault them. I definitely don't know how I'd look those students in the eyes after that. gently caress what a failure as a coach, great now I'm all angry and have nobody to strangle.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Fuckin yiiiiikes

That's way closer to some Art Of Self Defense poo poo than anything should be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td0oBCWO_I4

(Good movie tho)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I found out that kid that the AGF let sign up for the adult challenger bracket weighed one hundred and six pounds. His gym and the tournament never should have signed off on that.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

ihop posted:

Lol no wait I just remembered the best thing that happened there. Several of the brown belts were up for promotion, which meant most of them spent months practicing self defense kata. I know that adherence to the Gracie Diet (book sold at front desk) was also one of the requirements, and at least a few were doing that. They all arranged travel down to Miami for the weekend, paid I believe $1000 for the testing seminar. I don't know what all was involved in the testing, because of course it's supposed to be secret, but I do know it involved the type of "testing" I described above, except by seasoned blackbelts who they probably never met before, and who were more than happy to beat the poo poo out of them. They returned with a couple black eyes, the strongest competitor among them got a concussion, aaaand zero new blackbelts. The final gently caress-you-guys was that, according to the gym rumor mill, the only reason they weren't promoted was that the affiliate heads thought there were too many new blackbelts that year and needed to hold some back.

I kind of memory-holed that because it didn't directly affect me and I was having a kid at the time so I had other poo poo on my mind, but that was when I decided that they could give me a purple belt if they wanted, but I wasn't sticking around long enough for brown and definitely not black. That was around the summer time before covid, and I believe the owner dropped the affiliation after that, but man, I don't think I could even continue coaching if I took a student to what SHOULD be one of the greatest moments of their grappling life and instead let them pay a stranger to assault them. I definitely don't know how I'd look those students in the eyes after that. gently caress what a failure as a coach, great now I'm all angry and have nobody to strangle.

Yikesaroo

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

My instructors story of getting his black belt is that it is a bad memory because he was teaching a class as a brown belt and was on schedule to teach (I quote) “a perfect class” and the guy he got the black belt from barged in and interrupted his flow to give him his black belt and he’s still mad about it as he becomes eligible for his fourth degree on the thing.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

butros posted:

My instructors story of getting his black belt is that it is a bad memory because he was teaching a class as a brown belt and was on schedule to teach (I quote) “a perfect class” and the guy he got the black belt from barged in and interrupted his flow to give him his black belt and he’s still mad about it as he becomes eligible for his fourth degree on the thing.

I didn't know you trained with danaher too?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Ha not Danaher but Renzo lineage.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
I guess I feel lucky after reading the horror stories here and on /r/bjj about promotions. We have promotions once a quarter, on a scheduled date known about a month out. There's no belt fee. You either get promoted or you don't. We get in a few rounds, maybe have a full open mat afterwards. Overall real chill environment. If you can't make the promotion day and were due to be promoted, the head coach will make sure you're promoted next time you're in class. It's a lot of fun - usually folks from our sister schools show up to get in a few rounds or say congrats. I dig it.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

musclecoder posted:

I guess I feel lucky after reading the horror stories here and on /r/bjj about promotions. We have promotions once a quarter, on a scheduled date known about a month out. There's no belt fee. You either get promoted or you don't. We get in a few rounds, maybe have a full open mat afterwards. Overall real chill environment. If you can't make the promotion day and were due to be promoted, the head coach will make sure you're promoted next time you're in class. It's a lot of fun - usually folks from our sister schools show up to get in a few rounds or say congrats. I dig it.

This is how it works at my judo dojo as well. The sensei is very stingy with promotions though so no one is allowed to take a promotion exam without completing the high end of the recommended time for that belt.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
My school just did promototions last week Thursday and Saturday (2 locations).
Normal class, and after the head professor of the school says a few words, calls someone up, awards the strips or belts, bow/hug/give thanks and that's it. If you get promoted to the next belt typically you give a little speech to the class. Bigger the belt promotion the longer it is (One of our black belts maybe 4 years ago talked for a solid 30 minutes)

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Where I train they seem to do a review maybe every 5 months, possibly quarterly though. Folks from the three schools all pile into one gym and the guy that heads up the affiliation is present. Upper white belts lead "warm ups" which is line drills and not the stuff purple belts allegedly skip. Upper blue belts demonstrate an escape, I think. Then it gets fuzzy for me from there. Purple belts maybe demonstrate submissions and brown belts some kind of defense to sweep to sub? I forget. Then everyone flow rolls in cycles while being observed as a group by all the coaches and some black belts.

Best I can tell, whether or not you get promoted is dependent on 3 things: your usual coach's recommendation (this holds the most weight it seems), if you knew some subset of the demonstrations mentioned, and then how you performed when flow rolling.

I think black belt promotion is a different ceremony but their promotion is related to these events somehow.

We don't pay for the review or belt.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
My old BJJ gym had tests for each belt (without fees), but the test was pretty much just a formality--you wouldn't be invited to test if you weren't ready, and if you were close but rough on a few spots, the instructors would spend the "test preparation" sessions helping you sharpen those up. The funny thing there was that the white -> blue curriculum was basically the same as the Gracie Academy one (that is, solid fundamental BJJ with a self-defense focus), but the later belt tests got more into old-school Japanese Jiu-Jitsu stuff, to the point where I could have theoretically passed the purple belt test on my first day from having done aikido for a few years way back when.

My current gym doesn't do belt tests, but it is much more competition-focused, so we'll do some kind of in-house tournament and/or challenge matches on promotion days. It's not mandatory, but pretty much everyone who's not currently injured will participate, and it's always a lot of fun.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Also when you get your new belt you get thrown by everyone.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

We used to do gauntlet but now we do gauntlet.... Of hugs! :glomp:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Also when you get your new belt you get thrown by everyone.

We do that but it's very friendly; most people "throw" you with a gentle leg reap if you're not a 20's something man obviously enthusiastic about eating 20 hip tosses.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Jack B Nimble posted:

We do that but it's very friendly; most people "throw" you with a gentle leg reap if you're not a 20's something man obviously enthusiastic about eating 20 hip tosses.

Oh most definitely. You might get one good controlled slam from your smiling main randori partner.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

CommonShore posted:

We used to do gauntlet but now we do gauntlet.... Of hugs! :glomp:

I like this one

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

ihop posted:

Ok, im going to go ahead and play devils advocate here. I've trained at 2 gyms now and done a little cross training at a few different friends gyms. I've noticed a difference in the way some gyms approach this concept of self defense using jiu jitsu:

1. A gym that kind of welcomes everyone, teaches jiu jitsu, but mainly "sport jiu jitsu". Yes, technically it could be used in a self defense application, but they are not really throwing punches and using jiu jitsu to defend from punches. They are training for the setting of a jiu jitsu competition, and what would happen in that setting.

2. A gym that teaches self defense and while they may dabble in the sport side of things, the setting is "use this to defend yourself from an attack". They will take a look at things like: What happens if some shoves/pushes you, grabs you with two hands by the shirt, headlocks you, etc. What are the jiu jitsu concepts you use to defend yourself? Helio Gracie types of defense. I train in the Behring family line now and my professor is big on this. Hes even mentioned getting out the gloves to practice the defense of some of the concepts that he has taught while people are trying to attack. I know my professor and I know he wont let people get hurt and if they dont want to participate or are uncomfortable with it, thats cool. But hes also like, if you want to get out the gloves and test this stuff out, lets do it.

The main point of doing Jiu Jitsu is to learn how to defend yourself from attack. That should include punches as well. But most people dont even know these concepts because they really arent taught it. Its more: "hey check out this cool armbar transition".

The escalation has me concerned though. Just like a bad roll where people can escalate things, throwing punches is way worse. People have jobs to go to and brains to take care of. That coach should have known what the line was and enforced it. Also its horrible for retention.

Nestharken posted:

BJJ is just so drat fun that it doesn't feel like a chore at all (ok, maybe drilling does a little bit).

This is exactly the way I feel.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Idk if the main point of grappling is to defend from an attack. For me the main point of grappling is grappling. It's its own reward.

And consider how bad day 1 white belts are - do you really think you need extra training to double leg and chone a rando?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

CommonShore posted:

Idk if the main point of grappling is to defend from an attack. For me the main point of grappling is grappling. It's its own reward.

And consider how bad day 1 white belts are - do you really think you need extra training to double leg and chone a rando?

I think your point about grappling being it’s own reward is very true. Though I kinda agree about the main purpose of jiu jitsu being self defence. I guess the main purpose of jiu jitsu is different things to different people though. Personally I train because it’s fun and enjoy training both self defence and competition specific techniques.

To me Jiu jitsu as a whole could stand to be more honest about what self defence is and what an individual school might actually offer. Like to me someone who trains the Gracie Jiu Jitsu fundamentals is learning stuff that is good self defence but someone who is training purely for competition is also learning a lot of self defence applicable stuff. Maybe in a less direct way but now I’m not entirely sure what my thoughts are and I might have to write them down at some point to have them make sense.

In conclusion, jiu jitsu / grappling is fun and good.