Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

The actual most formative music document to me is VH1’s 100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock.
This, but it's the music video segments in Beavis and Butthead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

Pretty sure that and a MuchMusic show called "Loud" were my intro to more extreme types of metal

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Nordick posted:

Spirit Adrift are pretty good. If nothing else, the riff in "Astral Levitation" makes me wanna wrestle a dump truck.

I'll try to dig up more recs when I get home.

God drat right they are.

They did such a neat trick, starting out as kinda epic doom or whatever you wanna call it with vocals that were just serviceable. They’ve turned into some of the best trad twin guitar poo poo out there, and the vocals have become a legit part of the package instead of something you just kinda deal with because of the good band.

Love those fuckin’ guys.

This got me thinking of Sumerlands cause someone mentioned them and now I think I’m losing my mind because it looks like they’ve only got one release? I could have sworn there was another.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 21, 2021

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I'm 37, this matters in a second.

My first "heavy" band was probably metallica, but the one that blew my mind was Pantera. Hearing Vulgar Display of Power at my friends house when i was 10 in 1994 was a life changing moment. hearing Mouth for War, and just the groove in there that Metallica did not have, just absolutely got my full attention.

However sadly the times conspired against me, and as I started to pick up more Pantera, Slayer, and other metal stuff, a little known band from Bakersfield started to get popular, and I was like 12-13 years old and really hated my dad for making me mow the lawn on saturday mornings. I was at the exact target age to utterly love nu-metal, and I gleefully ate up decent stuff like Korn, Drowning Pool and Stereomud, to middling stuff like Soil, Factory 81, and Papa Roach, to utter garbage like Skrape, Adema, and Nonpoint. And then I think it was seeing Pantera as they were touring with Slayer and Morbid Angel (plus Skrape and Static X) on the Extreme Steel Tour that saw me turn hard back into "real metal" and start getting into death and black metal, and then now I'm here mostly listening to folk and power metal cause I'm old and silly songs about wizards or the Romans in Gaul makes me happy.

Slipknot owned though, and still mostly does. And yeah, they are probably the biggest gateway band to heavy music for a lot of people.

this is where i first saw Korn lol

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

this is where i first saw Korn lol

My very first Korn exposure was on their very first US tour opening for Danzig on his 4p tour (in '94?) and I didn't even get to see them play. My friends and I arrived late to the show. Well after Korn had already played. I think Marilyn Manson was actually playing and we hung out with the several members of Korn at the bar. One of my friends asked how they landed on the name for their band and the canned response was a member of the bandwalked in on a friend "tossing someone's salad" and they were "spitting out corn kernels". lol

True story.

Edit: PG Content

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 21, 2021

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mike Judge has extremely good taste in music

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

FistLips posted:

That said: looking for suggestions for trad/heavy/"conan" metal. I've been listening to a lot of trad lately, but am looking for more. I really like the early Manowar albums, think pre-Fighting the world. And I've been listening A LOT to Eternal Champion, Sumerlands, Dexter Ward, Ironflame, Warlord, Visigoth, Megaton Sword and that style of metal. Anybody have any suggestions? Not talking european style power metal like Gamma Ray/Helloween, but more the American type. Also, I tried getting into Cirith Ungol, I just couldn't get used to the vocals.

Legionnaire (heads up: iffy vocals, but not Cirith Ungol iffy), Cauldron Born, Blazon Rite, Gatekeeper, Possessed Steel, Herzel (heads up: French)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I actually had the opposite experience in metal. As a teen I didn't listen to any metal except for Rob Zombie until I discovered Mayhem, and being a pissed off rebellious teen thought it was the coolest thing ever. Then got wicked into black metal, then death metal, then doom, then more classic stuff like Sabbath. Nowadays my most listened to metal genre is early heavy metal and glam metal like Van Halen and Motley Crue, been that way for a while now, though I still listen to all metal subgenres (except power metal, I could never get into it for some reason)

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

FistLips posted:

That said: looking for suggestions for trad/heavy/"conan" metal. I've been listening to a lot of trad lately, but am looking for more. I really like the early Manowar albums, think pre-Fighting the world. And I've been listening A LOT to Eternal Champion, Sumerlands, Dexter Ward, Ironflame, Warlord, Visigoth, Megaton Sword and that style of metal. Anybody have any suggestions? Not talking european style power metal like Gamma Ray/Helloween, but more the American type. Also, I tried getting into Cirith Ungol, I just couldn't get used to the vocals.

Alright, here's a big ole dump of roughly this kind of stuff that's positively caught my attention in recent years.

Risen Prophecy Really really like the vocal delivery on this. Dude has some *conviction*.
Hypnos Might be a bit iffy whether to file these guys under metal or rock, but their first two albums are some of the best retro poo poo I know.
Stormburner
The Wizar'd
Ancient Empire
Lucifer's Fall
Züül
Glacier
Tanith
Sanhedrin

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

what are some bands/albums similar to borknagar's album quintessence. i don't really like anything else in the borknagar discography

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Metallica were my gateway. I was obsessed with Pink Floyd, then on a road-trip, a cousin lent me his discman ('cos my WALKMAN went flat) and it had a Metallica mix CD he had burned.

Blew my tiny brain. Just sat there the whole time thinking you can't DO this to music!

Been obsessed with Metallica ever since. gently caress you St. Anger wasn't that bad and LuLu was a Lou Reed album not a Metallica album...

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Some other good, catchy 'trad' bands are Haunt, Cauldron, Satan, White Wizzard, and maybe Paladin.

My intro to metal was 1981 when I shoplifted a cassette of Iron Maiden's s/t from a Co-op when I was nine. I thought the cover looked cool.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

FistLips posted:

Argus
Twisted Tower Dire
Magister Templi
Virgin Steele
Grand Magus
Skullview
DoomSword
The Gates of Slumber

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

Thread posted:

Bunch of cool stuff

Thanks guys! Lots added to my playlists. Some I’ve heard before, many I haven’t!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

FistLips posted:

I have two older brothers, so I was fed Helloween, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath/Ozzy, DIO and so forth growing up in the late 80s/early 90s. Then my brother started listening to Gorefest and Cannibal Corpse and I followed. In our small town in Norway there was a record store that had WAY more metal than a small record store in the countryside should reasonably be expected to have, and I got into Satyricon, Isengard, Darkthrone, Mayhem, Vintersorg and so forth via that store and have just kind of kept listening to metal all my life.

i'd assume you already know old staple USPM bands like Manilla Road, Brocas Helm, Jag Panzer, etc etc but listen to them if you haven't. for lesser known or more recent bands try Overlorde Tales of Medusa, Slauter Xstroyes, Dark Quarterer(they're Italian but will still appeal because they rule), Demon Bitch, Vultures Vengeance, Iron Cross(from Florida, not to be confused with a bunch of less cool bands with the same name), Reflection(very sick greek band i just discovered the other day) and i'll throw in an off the wall suggestion of weirdo japanese demo only band Brave Bomber at the end because why not.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m gonna fuckin bust from this load of uspm/trad/whatever band recs

It’s such a great sound and I should probably branch out more from Manilla Road/Cirith Ungol/Slough Feg lol

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m gonna fuckin bust from this load of uspm/trad/whatever band recs

It’s such a great sound and I should probably branch out more from Manilla Road/Cirith Ungol/Slough Feg lol

Hell yeah, my "to check out" music backlog just increased with like 10-15 albums from the last few posts alone. And list season is just starting, so I guess I'll be listening to exclusively new (to me) music for the next few weeks. Fine by me!

Edit: Holy poo poo, Blazon Rite's lyrics are stupid, even for the genre, so loving awsome :D

FistLips fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 22, 2021

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Nordick posted:

Alright, here's a big ole dump of roughly this kind of stuff that's positively caught my attention in recent years.

Hypnos Might be a bit iffy whether to file these guys under metal or rock, but their first two albums are some of the best retro poo poo I know.

this first album is great, and has my favorite genre in music, /Hypnos/2014 - Hypnos/02 - Hypnos - Hypnos.mp3

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Deathlove posted:

this first album is great, and has my favorite genre in music, /Hypnos/2014 - Hypnos/02 - Hypnos - Hypnos.mp3

I have not been able to get through all the recommendations yet, but I agree, Hypnos was great. Hypnos and Argus I think are my favorites from what I've had time to listen to so far.

Also, if you enjoy that "genre", how about Knife - Knife - K.N.I.F.E. ?

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
This is pretty loving cool Masters Hammer vocals? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J2MleAu5NY

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Dark Quarterer are awesome.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Just a couple for the trad pile:

https://youtu.be/XwR5s74NhqU

https://youtu.be/vPEvYCghR9U

Also, so it’s not glazed over, don’t sleep on Demon Bitch goons. I have no idea what I just heard, but it’s definitely something.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

FistLips posted:

Also, if you enjoy that "genre", how about Knife - Knife - K.N.I.F.E. ?

Personally I feel like the songtitle being a faux acronym kinda ruins it.

However, this reminded me of something else cool I came across earlier this year:

"Wanton Attack" from Wanton Attack by Wanton Attack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIfKHUXpQek

EDIT: And further on the trad metal topic, I forgot to mention Greyhawk, which I realised just now when I discovered they have a new single out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PkbX-Z5h9U

Nordick fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 22, 2021

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

"Skeleton", the first track on the album "Skeleton" by the band Skeleton is clearly the superior choice.

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Nordick posted:

Hypnos did indeed kick rear end, and makes me think you might like Graveyard, if you haven't heard them?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Cynicus posted:

"Skeleton", the first track on the album "Skeleton" by the band Skeleton is clearly the superior choice.

:agreed:

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
My parents got me the mighty morphin power rangers soundtrack on cassette when i was probably 4 or 5 and i homestly think that planted some kind of dormant metal seed in my impressionable young brain for later in life. I ended up listening to a ton of rap and pop music up until i was probably 17. I ended up making friends with one of the goth kids in my class, hung out with his friends quite a bit and they were big into system of a down, bodom, Metallica, linkin park, etc. I liked those bands quite a bit but the real breakthrough was when one of the super hot goth girls in the group gave me a burned copy of blackwater park and whoracle, thats when the true metal fan came out.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

FistLips posted:

Hypnos did indeed kick rear end, and makes me think you might like Graveyard, if you haven't heard them?

Oh yeah, I'm very much familiar with Graveyard. I fell super hard for this whole retro revival thing years ago, and they were one of my favourite bands for a while, around Hisingen Blues and Lights Out. I've somewhat cooled off on them since, but I still appreciate them and still have a few assorted songs in rotation on my phone.

Dr. Capco posted:

thats when the true metal fan came out.
I guess I've heard worse euphemisms for it

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Nordick posted:

Oh yeah, I'm very much familiar with Graveyard. I fell super hard for this whole retro revival thing years ago, and they were one of my favourite bands for a while, around Hisingen Blues and Lights Out. I've somewhat cooled off on them since, but I still appreciate them and still have a few assorted songs in rotation on my phone.

I guess I've heard worse euphemisms for it

Man, Peace was such a tremendous return to form for Graveyard after a couple rough ones. We almost lost them, there for a sec.

Anyway, if for some reason you haven’t heard it, def give it a go, because it’s much closer to their older output. More gritty and dirty, instead of that polished sound they went for in the middle there. Though that material wasn’t all bad, it just didn’t suit them as much, I think.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah, I've heard Peace and agree with your post fully, Innocence and Decadence sounded pretty limp. The only reason I haven't listened to Peace that much is that it came out when I was already past the height of my Graveyard fan phase. It's still a good album, it just has a lot more stiff competition.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
In the trad vein
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYgGu8u0eWE

BurningBeard posted:

God drat right they are.

They did such a neat trick, starting out as kinda epic doom or whatever you wanna call it with vocals that were just serviceable. They’ve turned into some of the best trad twin guitar poo poo out there, and the vocals have become a legit part of the package instead of something you just kinda deal with because of the good band.

Angel & Abyss is one of my fav songs of the last decade.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=salFbcV4oUg

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Owns.

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

yeah that Spirit Adrift is pretty rad ngl.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Dr. Capco posted:

My parents got me the mighty morphin power rangers soundtrack on cassette when i was probably 4 or 5 and i homestly think that planted some kind of dormant metal seed in my impressionable young brain for later in life.

I'd read somewhere that for test episodes before the show got picked up, they used Judas Priest's "Electric Eye" in place of the theme, and you can definitely hear a bit of it in the opening echoed into the theme.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Bit late on the gateway talk but I like to tell mine. Got into metal early 90's through Machinehead's debut and Metallica's selftitled album but was rather familiar with heavy 70's stuff like Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and Led Zep because that's what my dad listened (in my early years, my parents where practically still teenagers. I grew up at my grandparents house simply cause my mother was still living with them). I am 45 years old and still listen to metal and rap like a dork.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
A much, much earlier incarnation of this very thread was helpful to me as I started to explore metal. (I also met my husband here, kinda, so there's that too :love:)

I circled around metal as a teenager but never quite got to the good stuff. I liked Metallica, then later SOAD and Rammstein and Korn and Pantera; I thought I'd maybe like metal, so tried out the two most quintessentially "metal" bands I could think of - Slayer and Iron Maiden - and just bounced straight off them. I thought that because I didn't (and don't!) like either it meant that all of metal was a closed book, but it turns out I just don't really like thrash or warbly IM-style vocals/bombast.

I started listening to Last.fm in around 2005 at a temp job, and that led me to Opeth and Bodom and In Flames. Once I adjusted to the vocals, I never looked back. This thread helped me expand from there.

I also found my favourite band, Moonsorrow, ITT: someone posted a track by them (Unohduksen lapsi) and asked for help identifying it, as it wasn't properly tagged; I listened to the opening notes and immediately fell in love. So, thanks, unnamed poster of years past!

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

but it turns out I just don't really like thrash or warbly IM-style vocals/bombast.

:catstare:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

I also found my favourite band, Moonsorrow, ITT

I feel like you should also check out Havukruunu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUsU9ZH-GR4

(Everyone should, tbh)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh, FFS :(

https://dancollen.medium.com/electric-wizard-releases-music-on-label-known-for-nazi-themed-metal-caa8b35b88c2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

God dammit.