Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Alopex posted:

There is and it is titled "Talk Derby to Me"

Hot drat, please tell me it's at least entertainingly bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I think everyone can guess how it goes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Might as well do a Rollerball AU. Or Motorball from Alita. Or the game from Justice's New Lands music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxu248aD6PY

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Merry belated Christmas. Watched Encanto last night and i think a red-headed Luisa is my new headcannon for Gideon :kimchi:

Edit: https://starconfessor.tumblr.com/post/670720102731218944/oh-gently caress

Oh gently caress :stare:

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 27, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

Might as well do a Rollerball AU. Or Motorball from Alita. Or the game from Justice's New Lands music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxu248aD6PY

Well, there's always... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL9mlqbG5CU

Yes. I am an awful person who deserves to be punished.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Re-read Gideon and it was still great. Re-reading Harrow and I'm loving it mroe this time around. First time I read too fast, especially ther Canaan parts since I thought I knew the twist (and I kinda did but kinda didn't) and didn't really appreciate them.

Everyone posted:

Well, there's always... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL9mlqbG5CU

Yes. I am an awful person who deserves to be punished.

Then so am I cause I laughed out loud.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
It's now 2022. Countdown to Nona time

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

It's now 2022. Countdown to Nona time

I need more Gideon or Gideon-lke content to last until I get my pre-ordered copy.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

I need more Gideon or Gideon-lke content to last until I get my pre-ordered copy.

The Ninth House is set in and around the modern 21st century Yale campus. The kicker is that the various secret societies (Skull and Bones, etc.) can do actual magic. Alex Sterns, after displaying a rare magical gift, has been recruited by the groups that attempts to police the societies to make sure they don't get too crazy.

I know I'm not really selling it well, but I love the Alex Sterns character, who isn't even a little bit of a "Mary Sue snowflake" or whatever.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Everyone posted:

The Ninth House is set in and around the modern 21st century Yale campus. The kicker is that the various secret societies (Skull and Bones, etc.) can do actual magic. Alex Sterns, after displaying a rare magical gift, has been recruited by the groups that attempts to police the societies to make sure they don't get too crazy.

I know I'm not really selling it well, but I love the Alex Sterns character, who isn't even a little bit of a "Mary Sue snowflake" or whatever.

Lol I just ordered a copy cause why not.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

Lol I just ordered a copy cause why not.

Try not to burn through it too quickly. It's another one kind of like Muir's series which will make you go "God-loving-Dammit when will the next in the series drop?!" But yeah, The Ninth House is some gooood book heroin.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Huh it's on unlimited? I might check that out too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Everyone posted:

Try not to burn through it too quickly. It's another one kind of like Muir's series which will make you go "God-loving-Dammit when will the next in the series drop?!" But yeah, The Ninth House is some gooood book heroin.

My copy arrived, didn't realize I'd ordered the hardback. Hope it's good!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

My copy arrived, didn't realize I'd ordered the hardback. Hope it's good!

I've started to re-read mine and it holds up.

I will give you a bit of warning that this isn't "Harriot Potter in College." There's some pretty dark stuff in there, but it's not played for titillation.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The book is good enough that I read 140 pages in one day.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

The book is good enough that I read 140 pages in one day.

You might want to pace yourself a little. There's at best a hope that Bardugo might release a sequel in 2022, but it's not a very large hope.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Everyone posted:

You might want to pace yourself a little. There's at best a hope that Bardugo might release a sequel in 2022, but it's not a very large hope.

Heh, same as it ever was.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
i can't read because i'm so tired

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 6, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I know this isn't really the thread for it, but I'd love it if you guys reading The Ninth House would post your impressions/comments about in spoiler space. I've been wanting other people to geek out with over this book for a while now.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Everyone posted:

I know this isn't really the thread for it, but I'd love it if you guys reading The Ninth House would post your impressions/comments about in spoiler space. I've been wanting other people to geek out with over this book for a while now.

Spoiler space?

Finished the book already. It's really good! Didn't get into my brain the way Gideon did, but few things ever did lol.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

Spoiler space?

Finished the book already. It's really good! Didn't get into my brain the way Gideon did, but few things ever did lol.

The thing that stuck with me was how streetwise Galaxy was and how much getting that "wisdom" cost her. Like when she was clearly in pain but refuses to let Dawes get the detective to help her up the stairs because she wants to keep him in her psychological debt.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Yeah, Alex has had a hard life. She's a pretty great main character.

In a way, I feel like this a more honest Harry Potter. The british school system Rowlings idolized was built to turn kids into sociopaths for the Empire, especially the kind of posh institutions that served as inspirations for Hogwarts. Meanwhile this book realizes Yale is a place steeped in evil, with none of the societies really looking good at the end of the book. I appreciated the joke about Skulls and Bones having Geronimo's skull.

Ultimately, the least believable thing in the book isn't the magic but the existence of a good cop.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, Alex has had a hard life. She's a pretty great main character.

In a way, I feel like this a more honest Harry Potter. The british school system Rowlings idolized was built to turn kids into sociopaths for the Empire, especially the kind of posh institutions that served as inspirations for Hogwarts. Meanwhile this book realizes Yale is a place steeped in evil, with none of the societies really looking good at the end of the book. I appreciated the joke about Skulls and Bones having Geronimo's skull.

Ultimately, the least believable thing in the book isn't the magic but the existence of a good cop.

Well it is an urban fantasy, after all. I like that Galaxy is a fairly good person, but not a nice person. Like the way she made rapist fratboy literally eat poo poo. And of course "...but you'll still look like a brother-loving hillbilly."

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I just finished Gideon, and I really liked it. That said, everyone saying Harrow is so different makes me a little concerned, or at least, considering taking a break and reading something else for a bit. If Gideon is a Agatha Christie style Murder Mystery what would Harrow be described as? What's the initial hurdle to go through?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I just finished Gideon, and I really liked it. That said, everyone saying Harrow is so different makes me a little concerned, or at least, considering taking a break and reading something else for a bit. If Gideon is a Agatha Christie style Murder Mystery what would Harrow be described as? What's the initial hurdle to go through?

It's a psychological thriller where the primary "mystery" is figuring out what the heck is going on with the protagonist.

More specifically, it's written in second-person to Harrowhark as she deals with the truth of a Lyctor's duties and reflects on what happened at Canaan House, except that her flashbacks are, as the reader knows, completely wrong about basic facts.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Rand Brittain posted:

It's a psychological thriller where the primary "mystery" is figuring out what the heck is going on with the protagonist.

More specifically, it's written in second-person to Harrowhark as she deals with the truth of a Lyctor's duties and reflects on what happened at Canaan House, except that her flashbacks are, as the reader knows, completely wrong about basic facts.

Thanks, good to know. That doesn't sound like something that would be too hard for me to deal with, and knowing it ahead of time will adjust me before starting.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Honestly diving into Harrow while Gideon is still fresh is probably a good idea. I had forgotten a lot from Gideon when I read Harrow and it sucked. Planning to re-read them when a new book drops.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I'd suggest diving in immediately too. Figuring what's what in Harrow is one of the best experiences had while reading, period. The second-person narrator is a little jarring to begin with, but it all works out beautifully in the end.

Also happy to report: I gifted Gideon to my partner for Christmas, worrying that she might not like it as much as I did. But she's positively devoured Gideon and bought and read Harrow for herself all within the span of barely a week. :3

I have now someone to share the painful wait for Nona with.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

If you've survived Homestuck (like Muir did), second-person narration won't phaze you.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

If you've survived Homestuck (like Muir did), second-person narration won't phaze you.

Plus in Harrow, it's a setup that has an amazing payoff.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
You can always just skim over the sections recapping Harrow's adventures with her cavalier in the first book. They're worth reading though, they're from her POV, which is refreshing.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

90s Cringe Rock posted:

You can always just skim over the sections recapping Harrow's adventures with her cavalier in the first book. They're worth reading though, they're from her POV, which is refreshing.

Especially since they actually aren't Harrow's adventures from the first book but a different story using some of the same characters

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

This seriously makes me wonder if you did just that and maybe missed the point? Because absolutely do not do this.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Some of them will become relevant, apparently.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If I skip key plot cues the brain staples won't come loose.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Lmao

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh my god please tell me that Harrow is not written mostly or entirely in second person.

I had no idea how much that triggered me until I read the first page and recoiled in horror.

Past me was an idiot. Harrow was one hell of a book.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Give us Nona soon.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ConfusedUs posted:

gently caress, on that page was noted that Alecto wasn't coming out until 2022

NONA WHEN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

ConfusedUs posted:

I largely despise second-person perspective narration, have just walked clean away from books over it, and yet Harrow was definitely worth it.