Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

lol these chapters
The Four Warriors of Light Saved the World, but They Don’t Deserve Our Thanks
and
The Spiky-Haired Mercenary vs. the French Narrative Theorist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I’ve played all of the numbered final fantasies but never played tactics. What is the best way to play it?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

In the hyperbolic time chamber so you don't waste any more of your life on its interminable battles than strictly neccessary

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Emulate the psp version, or the original version if you really care about having a more punchy but sometimes wildly incorrect translation

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If you want the authentic experience of playing it back in 97, only use one save slot even though it has like 20 or more.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Gologle posted:

If you want the authentic experience of playing it back in 97, only use one save slot even though it has like 20 or more.

Ah yes, getting stuck at the Wiegraf battle with no way to leave and restarting the game from the beginning, the authentic FFT experience.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

gay_crimes posted:

I’ve played all of the numbered final fantasies but never played tactics. What is the best way to play it?

get to the halfway point then restart the game because ramza is too weak for the one on one boss lmao

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Ah yes, getting stuck at the Wiegraf battle with no way to leave and restarting the game from the beginning, the authentic FFT experience.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

get to the halfway point then restart the game because ramza is too weak for the one on one boss lmao

Best advice, don't be bad at games liked these two.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I was thinking best version and/or platform but this is all good too, thank you

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

im good at games...

gay_crimes posted:

I was thinking best version and/or platform but this is all good too, thank you

imo it depends. the PS1 version has some exploitable glitches and a bad but charming translation. the PSP version fixes most of the bugs and has a better translation but is missing some of its charm because of it imo.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Gaius Marius posted:

I was 11 when FFT came out, of course I was bad at games.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

NikkolasKing posted:

I think this is the much bigger problem with X-2. It just never once answers "what happens to people who die?" X firmly establishes they need to be Sent but there are no more Summoners in X-2 and we are never even given a single offhand line of dialogue about how there are now "professional Senders" to deal with this.

I guess the dead are just left as is and become dingos and blobs.

It's actually specifically people who die sudden or violent deaths and have unfinished business that need to he Sent. With Spira no longer having a living natural disaster presumably a lot less people will need to be Sent.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

FFT is pretty good on mobile. Some people in this thread really fuckin' hate the touch controls though. I think they work really well. As long as you're a normal person with clean hands and not a sausage fingered cheeto tip.

It's the War of the Lions translation, which is straight up better than the original. You miss out on about ten absolutely killer bad translation lines but gain a plot that's absolutely understandable with proper descriptions of abilities and things like that.

It's one of my favorite FF's so I'm biased. It came out when I was fifteen and I agree with the posts upthread; don't be like us, use multiple saves.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yeah FFT on the iPad is pretty good. There’s a few annoyances (since it’s an overhead view at an angle sometimes you have to rotate things around to figure out what square you’re tapping on) but I found the touch controls work well

I also got past the weirgraf/boss battle by running around the room boosting Ramza’s speed and battle
Power and then one shotting the boss(s) with 5 turns in a row or whatever

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I only play Tactics on a vintage PS1 so I can use my DexDrive to edit saves and put the Lucavi demons in my party

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tall Tale Teller posted:

You miss out on about ten absolutely killer bad translation lines but gain a plot that's absolutely understandable with proper descriptions of abilities and things like that.
This is a tradeoff that you must evaluate for yourself, they're really killer bad translation lines.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
"Don't blame us. Blame yourself or God" is still the best.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

It's actually specifically people who die sudden or violent deaths and have unfinished business that need to he Sent. With Spira no longer having a living natural disaster presumably a lot less people will need to be Sent.

When discussing why his mom is on the Farplane, Tidus is confused why since nobody Sent her and Yuna says it's only because "she accepted death while still alive." I don't think it's just violent or sudden deaths that cause this.

Also, evidently, there are still a ton of Fiends in FFX-2 so people arE still dying and needing to be Sent.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This is what you give up by not playing the original.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

When discussing why his mom is on the Farplane, Tidus is confused why since nobody Sent her and Yuna says it's only because "she accepted death while still alive." I don't think it's just violent or sudden deaths that cause this.

Also, evidently, there are still a ton of Fiends in FFX-2 so people arE still dying and needing to be Sent.

That... literally supports what they're saying though? Tidus' mom died peacefully and ended up in the Farplane without needing to be Sent.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Party Boat posted:

Jecht as Sin planned that he would take Auron and Tidus to Spira (we know this because Auron speaks to Jecht right before they're sucked up into Sin). According to the Ultimania Sin's "wreck everything" instinct kicked in when it found itself near a city, which is a little weird as it's supposed to protect Zanarkand. Maybe it got confused by Jecht exerting his control?

It destroyed the original Zanarkand as well. I believe the reason is simple Yevon lost control of Sin right after creating it, and so it went along with its original directive destroying cities.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cattail Prophet posted:

That... literally supports what they're saying though? Tidus' mom died peacefully and ended up in the Farplane without needing to be Sent.

Two things:
1. Tidus' mom "accepted death" because she hated living without Jecht. This was not some saintly "I am ready to go" thing, it was more like depressive Fantasy suicide, like Padme just dying because her heart was broken by Anakin.

2. And so I took Tidus' and Yuna's exchange to mean that everybody needs the Sending unless they have very specific circumstances like "I'm ready to die."

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 22, 2021

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I got a good feeling! The people of Ivalice had l i t t l e m o n e y. Blame yourself or god.

Fister Roboto posted:

There, you have heard the good lines from the original translation and can now play the one that doesn't mistranslate 'breath' as 'bracelet'.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Fister Roboto posted:

I played this game at age 11-12 and just nodded along. I look back at this incomprehensible poo poo and wonder why these things didn’t stick out more.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Maybe we figured we were stupid and didn’t understand how good it was.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fister Roboto posted:

https://youtube.com/shorts/5XVeI2Dfr9o?feature=share

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Oof, I sure do miss auto saves after FF7 closed because an error ocurred and I'm all the way back at Wutai after having gotten to the Temple of the Ancients.

Hellioning posted:

I got a good feeling! The people of Ivalice had l i t t l e m o n e y. Blame yourself or god.

There, you have heard the good lines from the original translation and can now play the one that doesn't mistranslate 'breath' as 'bracelet'.

You forgot

Surrender or die in obscurity! I guess we must fight. Eaaagggghh!!

There, now that's all the good lines from the original translation.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Yeah the PSP version is 100% superior... or would be if it didn't have really lovely slowdown and bad fps in battle.

Luckily, that's what fan-patches for emulated versions is for!

Last time I played, I used this Quality of Life patch and quite enjoyed it.

Rythian fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 22, 2021

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they just put up free seraphic earrings dlc on intergrade was this a preoder bonus or something

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oof, I sure do miss auto saves after FF7 closed because an error ocurred and I'm all the way back at Wutai after having gotten to the Temple of the Ancients.

You forgot

Surrender or die in obscurity! I guess we must fight. Eaaagggghh!!

There, now that's all the good lines from the original translation.

Animals have no god!

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Hellioning posted:

Not gonna lie I do sometimes miss some of the cool sounding nonsense that came out of bad translations like Fire Bracelet and Merton and Climhazzard

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Y-Burn

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

The only thing I missed from vanilla FFT is the random spell and ability shouts.

I always liked hearing my monk say something before aurablasting some poor mook across the map.

Also the shout for the Cyclops summon calls him "Clops". 10/10

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tall Tale Teller posted:

The only thing I missed from vanilla FFT is the random spell and ability shouts.

I always liked hearing my monk say something before aurablasting some poor mook across the map.

Also the shout for the Cyclops summon calls him "Clops". 10/10

Aw they took those out? They were awesome. I own the PSP version but haven’t played it. Some day…

Edit: the original had slowdown when you cast summons or spells with big effects, you could hear the disc drive in the PSX groan whenever you cast them.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Edit: the original had slowdown when you cast summons or spells with big effects, you could hear the disc drive in the PSX groan whenever you cast them.
The difference is that the PSX slowdown is because it's too strong for PSX, the PSP slowdown is completely removable with patches.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Game too strong for the PSP battery.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

At least FF14 has a nod to the extended spell quotes in the Ivalice raids, Orbonne in particular. They're even voice acted. Non-exhaustive examples:

I call out to the skies and tremble as the brilliance of a thousand bolts blinds mine enemies and tears their flesh asunder.
Misfortune hangs heavy on a head once held high. Such is poor cover for when the heavens fall.
Even the strongest of shields cannot defend the weakest of wills. A moment's hesitation beckons a lifetime of pain!
Seven shadows cast, seven fates foretold. Yet at the end of the broken path lies death, and death alone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pretty soft girl posted:

Not gonna lie I do sometimes miss some of the cool sounding nonsense that came out of bad translations like Fire Bracelet and Merton and Climhazzard

Crimehazard

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Gologle posted:

It cannot be stated strongly enough that whenever you play FFT you should use at least 3 save slots. I always use 5. I'm not joking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I’m currently playing The Lion War mod on my N2DSXL. It’s a mod of the original psx version that adds some content from the War of the Lions version (psp and mobile) but retains the original translation. I actually like both translations for different reasons, nostalgia for the original and it’s iconic lines, and the rewrite is more dramatic for better or worse.

Here’s a link to The Lion War https://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=12767.0

-Adds unique events from WotL and changed their translation to match the original versions style
-Adds a few new events from the mod scene but there aren’t too many and they don’t spoil the feel of the original game
-the now unplayable Rendevous multiplayer mission content from WotL is added and changed to single player missions, as well as a handful of custom missions by the modders. The treasure wheel from completing these missions was added as well.
-4/5 of the sound novels that were never translated to English officially have been translated and added as prizes from the prepositions, giving a cool way to get lore never seen in the original releases.

For me, one of the biggest reasons to play this version is that the sound quality is much better on the original psx version vs the WotL version. And the random battle shouts the characters would do when using abilities sometimes are of course present since it’s the original psx version.

If you do play war of the lions, make sure you get the mod that fixes the battle animation slowdown as it makes the already long battles unbearable.

Switched.on fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 22, 2021