Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

whiskey patrol posted:

Xmas and NYE fully on since those are a once in a lifetime chance to make memories.

Not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I'mmmmm

Staying hooommmmmme

For Christmas

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Just had a coworker check in to make sure I'm not "fixating" on the pandemic again. Lol that's cool, I'm off work and they're already trying to make sure Goobish is silenced before getting back. Must be I made them look bad by donating just as many N95s (and better imo) masks to the Drop In Center they loving own yesterday. You know, that they weren't even going to supply until crazy Goobish started acting up again. gently caress em so much.

Serf
May 5, 2011

unfortunately i don't have a choice about spending christmas with my family and i'm not quite at the point where i seal myself in my room with duct tape and subsist on mres and use a chemical toilet for weeks

yet

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Serf posted:

unfortunately i don't have a choice about spending christmas with my family and i'm not quite at the point where i seal myself in my room with duct tape and subsist on mres and use a chemical toilet for weeks

yet

yeah, my family will not be dissuaded but my mother in law just slipped on ice and fractured her leg and my mom can't travel because a winter storm is going to shut down the siskiyou pass so we might make it through this after all

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Goobish posted:

Just had a coworker check in to make sure I'm not "fixating" on the pandemic again. Lol that's cool, I'm off work and they're already trying to make sure Goobish is silenced before getting back. Must be I made them look bad by donating just as many N95s (and better imo) masks to the Drop In Center they loving own yesterday. You know, that they weren't even going to supply until crazy Goobish started acting up again. gently caress em so much.

wtf. are they gonna send a wellness check to your house because you are trying to protect yourself from a deadly pandemic

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/J_Hancock/status/1473667416844644352

pretty interesting read about the nuts and bolts of how so many people are seemingly dying of very regular things that are definitely not the novel coronavirus

goddamn america owns and is definitely not a failed state posted:

William Clark, the East Baton Rouge Parish coroner and the president of the Louisiana State Coroners Association, said he has three requirements in order to put COVID-19 on a death certificate: The patient must have shown symptoms of respiratory illness, tested positive for the coronavirus and died of the respiratory illness.

Many families, he said, simply didn’t want their loved ones to be pronounced dead from the coronavirus.

“In 2020, getting COVID, or dying from COVID, or being a family member that had COVID, was a scarlet letter,” he said. “It was shunned.”

Limited testing in 2020 could account for some uncounted COVID-19 deaths, Clark said. And many people were hesitant to get tested.

“I can recall a guy who had COVID symptoms; his X-ray looked like COVID because I saw it. And the guy says, ‘You’re not sticking a swab in my nose,’ and he died a few days later. That guy had COVID, but I didn’t call it COVID,” Clark said. “He was not given a postmortem test. After he died, I think he still has a right to those wishes.”

Clark is wrong, according to the CDC, which tells coroners they can attribute a death to COVID-19 even without a positive test, as long as they use their “best clinical judgment.”

The coroner defended his reasoning, saying CDC guidelines are “just that – guidelines. They are not laws.” He said many families want COVID-19 listed on death certificates for financial reasons. “The number of phone calls we receive weekly in an attempt to defraud the government is astounding,” he said.

Statewide, 4,644 of the spike in deaths during the pandemic were not attributed to COVID-19, according to the CDC.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol this is my parents especially my dad. they are in their mid 70s, my dad is definitely a bit past life expectancy, and while they canceled their yearly January trip to Hawaii last year, not this time! because "I don't have many years left, I want to do the things I enjoy before I die" lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

My mother is sick and since no tests are available anywhere, in order to determine if it's covid my father and sister are going to meet up at a place that's an hour drive for both of them so she can give him a test set she has to determine if they should call off all Christmas plans.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

actionjackson posted:

lol this is my parents especially my dad. they are in their mid 70s, my dad is definitely a bit past life expectancy, and while they canceled their yearly January trip to Hawaii last year, not this time! because "I don't have many years left, I want to do the things I enjoy before I die" lol

Ask him what the things he enjoys is and lmao when none of the things he lists is "spend time with family"

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Jon Irenicus posted:

wtf. are they gonna send a wellness check to your house because you are trying to protect yourself from a deadly pandemic

Well you see, just have to radically accept mass death, suffering, collapsing hospitals, and that there is absolutely no way to help anyone. None.

Then you do some meditation and deep breathing exercises.

Until your lungs are cheesed I guess.

For your mental health.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lansdowne posted:

https://twitter.com/J_Hancock/status/1473667416844644352

pretty interesting read about the nuts and bolts of how so many people are seemingly dying of very regular things that are definitely not the novel coronavirus
Oh wow who knew that the government would pay you if a family member died of Covid.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

lol I am continually enjoying the viruses ability (and all its human co conspirators) to just claw away what little joy it can. Ramping up right before Xmas :rubby:

I have a tight bubble going but there are still a couple loose threads re: work. Unfortunately I have an immune compromised brother and my parents are quickly losing their independence and it means a lot to them to get together since it has been a long time and the outlook for everyone isn’t great. They are the loose threads so it’s tough to play the moral high ground and also, I’d really like to see them before Omega probably lands em in the hospital in 8 months!!!

Vax + 1wk/2wk boosters, Rapids no less than 1 hr before, HVAC fan on and I got a HEPA purifier that can run 5 exchanges/hr in the living room. Let ‘er rip.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

mystes posted:

Oh wow who knew that the government would pay you if a family member died of Covid.

Joe Biden is going to infect and kill a bunch of people with COVID as part of a Democrat scam to give away money to their voters. If you are a hard working America and don't want to support Democrat welfare queens; get vaccinated, wear a mask, social distance, and demand a lockdown.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Ask him what the things he enjoys is and lmao when none of the things he lists is "spend time with family"

well we are in MN, so I can certainly see the appeal of spending three weeks in Hawaii in January, in all fairness

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Jon Irenicus posted:

Biden's USA: we are sending maskless unvaccinated cops to do welfare checks on the neurotic shut ins trying to avoid COVID

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1473669701729411072?s=20

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Their argument for continuing communal lunches at the Drop In was that "those people are out and about not wearing masks anyway." (For reference a Drop In is a social center for anyone with a mental illness, many come from AFC homes and other communal settings). I understand a free lunch is a big deal, but our community is not lacking in food right now (other items but not food), so seemed a very sane thing to suggest that we close down the free lunches for now.

Nope, gunna just call those people 'tarded anyway and instead of helping educate anyone on masking and safety we're gunna let the virus cull the tarded.

I'm never working in mental health again whenever the hell I decide to leave. I'm just loving stubborn as gently caress and am not leaving for awhile yet unless they fire my rear end lol.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

how hard is it to build a bed? beds are very simple

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

If we're prepared, why do we need to build beds?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I am calling on Japan to send their surplus of cardboard beds that you can't gently caress on

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I have deployed the US Army Corps of Engineers to every Ikea so we can meet the futon needs of Americans

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Business Gorillas posted:

If we're prepared, why do we need to build beds?

cause you didn’t get enough boosters

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

actionjackson posted:

ya same dad

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Penisaurus Sex posted:

from what i saw when i worked in one as a bit was like some of them you have to call a tech from the company to service, think brand was called stryker

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
My sister-in-law's parents are basically on the "I'm old and if I get it and die oh well" train, which I honestly respect.

But mostly because "gently caress it" to them entails seeing their grandchildren regularly in their home in rural Virginia and not "suck and gently caress on a cruise to Hawaii."

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Penisaurus Sex posted:

they lost the allen wrench

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
people are starving and dying of starvation as we speak so I've directed my farmers to begin planting corn and cabbage and broccoli now to combat this

mystes
May 31, 2006

Reminder that china built new covid hospitals in like two weeks at the beginning of the pandemic

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Biden kept saying "we don't know anything" and also "we are prepared," so both those things are totally believable.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
we're commandeering every mattress king in america

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

moist turtleneck posted:

I am calling on Japan to send their surplus of cardboard beds that you can't gently caress on

this was my first thought lol

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Penisaurus Sex posted:

the bottleneck is we've had the beds on order from ikea for 12 months now and they still haven't shipped

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
https://twitter.com/dwmcload/status/1473395120900911109?t=32F0aVxY07aFCIJz3r1ZgQ&s=19

Easily the worst 9/11 anybody working at the airline has ever experienced

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mystes posted:

Reminder that china built new covid hospitals in like two weeks at the beginning of the pandemic

Yeah and now they've got all these useless hospitals cluttering up the landscape

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I will enjoy the burning of all the extra hospitals we built in April cause the wave ended

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I'm sorry to hear though and I hope you make a quick and full recovery.
On the bright side, I suppose now is a great time to start a healthy diet eating healthy food you might not normally because of taste.

This post was a while back but, I had a bout of 2 weeks of not being able to taste when I had bad pneumonia a few years ago.

I thought this would be well-trod ground by now but... Not being able to taste does not enable you to eat whatever you want, unbothered. It makes everything you eat an extremely loving unpleasant experience. I can't really do justice to describing it but it has nothing to do with lacking flavor and more the fact that it's just not at all what you expect putting something in your mouth and chewing it to be like. Everything is gross.

I can't even imagine what the people whose experience is, instead of no taste, everything has some vile flavor on top of it. Must be loving horrible.

Not being able to taste is a lot worse than you expect if it's never happened to you. None of it is really related to the fact that things don't "taste good". For instance, everything tasting like minute rice would be far preferable to the reality which is just a blank where taste should be.

Maybe it would be like if your vision was suddenly transformed into seeing everything in wireframe instead of your expectation of seeing everything in black and white.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

nexous posted:

I will enjoy the burning of all the extra hospitals we built in April cause the wave ended

unused inventory must be destroyed and unnecessary employees fired

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

https://twitter.com/dwmcload/status/1473395120900911109?t=32F0aVxY07aFCIJz3r1ZgQ&s=19

Easily the worst 9/11 anybody working at the airline has ever experienced

why double mask when you can double neck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I'm really glad I never got covid it sounds terrible!