Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

GD_American posted:

I don't understand why the random frames of the first movies were so prevalent. They weren't even presented as flashbacks the characters were having at that time. Some of them had no connection to the story occurring on screen. It wasn't much higher than Fight Club-level "lol we just put a frame in of Brad Pitt standing there" choices.

It got bad enough I started to seriously wonder if it was to pad runtime.

The movie leans super hard into the deja vu sensation as a thematic component; certain scenes are filmed similarly to ones from the first films but not quite the same and the inserted clips can be used as frames of reference. The "recreated" opener inside the modal simulation sets the stage of what's going on, really. AI Morpheus is basically a parody of "soft reboots" in general and has fun with the idea. Can you give an example of which scenes had no connection? I thought there was always some relevance to the inserted clips from previous films, but maybe I missed a couple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

aBagorn posted:

i'm sorry but matrix 1 is about "trans rights, gently caress you" more than anything else and by that metric it owns

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

badjohny posted:

Hopefully this is a launch of a new trilogy.

Lana Wachowski says she has no interest in further Matrix movies.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Timby posted:

Lana Wachowski says she has no interest in further Matrix movies.

to me it seems like its setting up hard for sequels. i dont think stuff like none of the crew dying or agent smith getting introduced when he barely does anything, or merovingian going "this isnt the last uve seen of me" would be there if this was meant as a one and done.

sounds like either some marketing trick or like som1 else is gonna do the sequels

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Matrix Resurrections is pretty clear about how it loathes the idea of these sort of "re-quels" and it's hilarious.

[edit] The more I think about this movie, the more I like it. The action isn't nearly as good by comparison to the other films, but the idea of it is cool. Also I love Jessica Henwick now.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I think Jessica Henwick, Keanu Reeves, and the Doog were the best parts of the film. Everyone else was just... there? I also thought the fight choreo/editing wasn't great. Hugo Weaving absence was felt and Millennial Smith rubbed me the wrong way but overall enjoyed it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I actually really enjoyed this movie a lot. The action was good I thought. Acting was good. It had definitely a Matrix vibe. I also really liked the ending Making Trinity become like Neo was really good

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Fucker posted:

to me it seems like its setting up hard for sequels. i dont think stuff like none of the crew dying or agent smith getting introduced when he barely does anything, or merovingian going "this isnt the last uve seen of me" would be there if this was meant as a one and done.

sounds like either some marketing trick or like som1 else is gonna do the sequels

The Merv scene is funny as hell because he's literally dressed in garbage and has his garbage crew of purged exiles fight the heroes in what is essentially a low-rent combination of scenes from the Chateau set piece from Reloaded and the Morpheus capture/Neo vs Smith duel from the first film. It very much speaks to the idea of "reboots/requels are trash" imo, and that's awesome lmao.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Robbie Amell woulda been a better casting for the type of Smith they wanted. He’s got villain chops.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

hiddenriverninja posted:

I think Jessica Henwick, Keanu Reeves, and the Doog were the best parts of the film. Everyone else was just... there? I also thought the fight choreo/editing wasn't great. Hugo Weaving absence was felt and Millennial Smith rubbed me the wrong way but overall enjoyed it.

Bugs and Doogie were easily my favorite characters. But yeah, Bugs' crew was a big 'ol :geno: Seems like all the the charm written into Bugs' character instead lol. Faux-Morpheus was neat for a bit, then fell off hard. Was also hoping they'd explore the relationship with the machine crew members more. Once they got introduced and had their 1 or 2 scenes, that was basically it for them lol.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Bugs was amazing and honestly I think she’s going to end up as iconic as Trinity and Neo.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

teagone posted:

Bugs and Doogie were easily my favorite characters. But yeah, Bugs' crew was a big 'ol :geno: Seems like all the the charm written into Bugs' character instead lol. Faux-Morpheus was neat for a bit, then fell off hard. Was also hoping they'd explore the relationship with the machine crew members more. Once they got introduced and had their 1 or 2 scenes, that was basically it for them lol.

I felt the same while watching but in the end it's not that different from the original matrix, it's not like people remember who's Apoc.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I think we'll be seeing a lot of hot takes in the coming weeks about just how contemptuous it is of the concept of a Matrix 4 at all and how much weird stuff in the movie is that way "on purpose" as some sort of statement. Personally I found the climactic action scene extremely bizarre as the good guys basically commit an enormous mass shooting against the sheeple with the thin excuse that "they're all bots" and provoke a sort of horrific The-Happening-meets-9/11 counter-event that seems almost intentionally tasteless. This in what is otherwise a very sentimental movie!

Linguica fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 22, 2021

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

outside of Bugs I found this to be overall pretty underwhelming, especially when it came to the action/fights that the OG movie/trilogy are known for

There is a scene though about Facts, Fiction, and Feelings that I really liked, an obvious reference to today's right wing ecosystems, disinformation, and conspiracy theories.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Linguica posted:

I think we'll be seeing a lot of hot takes in the coming weeks about just how contemptuous it is of the concept of a Matrix 4 at all and how much weird stuff in the movie is that way "on purpose" as some sort of statement. Personally I found the climactic action scene extremely bizarre as the good guys basically commit an enormous mass shooting against the sheeple with the thin excuse that "they're all bots" and provoke a sort of horrific The-Happening-meets-9/11 counter-event that seems almost intentionally tasteless. This in what is otherwise a very sentimental movie!

matrix 1 had neo and trinity get into an airport lobby and just shoot every security guard in it up. they justify it beforehand w/ something like "their all tools of the system, sacrifices must be made so they break free". idg why the logic wouldnt be the exact same here, especially when their now just straight up robot zombies

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I actually quite enjoyed the movie and while watching I felt that it was too short for me. There's too many things being set up and it ended up too quickly. I agree that even though the movie criticized the nostalgia reboot thing we have going on these days it does feel like it's setting up a next movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

lunar detritus posted:

I felt the same while watching but in the end it's not that different from the original matrix, it's not like people remember who's Apoc.

I think the difference with Morpheus' crew in the OG films is that aside from Tank, who was a pretty fleshed out supporting character, the others had at least one distinct/memorable scenes, e.g., Switch's "not like this", Mouse's woman in the red dress/being the first death, and Cypher's whole deal. I guess Dozer didn't do much; he made future-moonshine. Apoc is the exception I guess.

None of Bugs' crew really do anything memorable. I like the one guy crushing on Neo/being a "Neologist" though.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

GD_American posted:

I have a real fear that genuine criticism of how bad this movie was (and it was bad, it was really bad) is going to get wrapped up in shitheart incel whining about the politics of it, a la the female Ghostbusters reboot. I already saw eyerolling from the use of the word "triggered" in the trailer, and now that I've seen them movie there's plenty of things in there for the assholes to make rant videos about from behind the wheels of their pickup trucks.

Oh you already know its gonnna happen. One of the main characters in this movie is even a "blue haired feminist!"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gresh posted:

outside of Bugs I found this to be overall pretty underwhelming, especially when it came to the action/fights that the OG movie/trilogy are known for

There is a scene though about Facts, Fiction, and Feelings that I really liked, an obvious reference to today's right wing ecosystems, disinformation, and conspiracy theories.

Yeah, that Doogie scene was so good. The Analyst is a great character.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Really liked this. The 1st Matrix is still my favorite of the franchise but I'd easily put this above Reloaded and Revolutions, both of which I still think are pretty good for what they are.

The movie definitely does not let up on it's ideas about reboots/sequels and they are wildly on the nose but im okay with that because:

Some spoiler stuff I liked/disliked off the top of my head:

AI Morpheus goofing around with "being" Morpheus was a fun way to play the character without it feeling like they were trying to replicate Fishburne's performance from the trilogy. I was afraid they'd try something like that but the character is Morpheus in name only and having him be self-aware about it was cool.

I liked the lore with the machine civil war / io but it sort've felt like a bit too much and too little at the same time. It was cool to see how humans have progressed in the 60 years since revolutions but I would've liked to see more of how the Program/Machine/Human society was integrated. Like did all humans just except this integration with with 0 problems, were there conflicts about it. This part definitely feels like it suffers a lot from not having Laurence Fishburne reprise his role because his perspective on everything that's transpired since the 3rd movie would've been the one I really would've liked to hear. As it is in the movie right now the friendly machines just felt like CGI buddies with no real character behind them aside from from AI Morpheus and Sati, who themselves already feel kinda thin characterization wise. Makes me wonder if a bunch was cut and there was a longer movie here.

The action was good to decent for me. For the first third of the movie a part of me was feeling like it was never really hitting the highs of the action of the first movie but I think the constant reinforcement of letting go of nostalgia actually helped me to realize halfway through that I would probably have a better time if I just went along for the ride, and I did! I will say though the literal suicide bomb swarm tactic was pretty inspired and elicited a "Holy poo poo" from me when it started happening.

Some of the dialogue occasionally got a little too close to "Well THAT just happened" whedonisms for me, but thankfully I dont think it ever steered too far into that direction. I think I'm also just sensitive to capeshit quips because it feels like it's infected pretty much every big blockbuster that comes out these days.

Neo + Trinity flying together was Cute and I would love to see more of the universe especially since they seemed to deliberately leave some loose threads hanging (Agent Smith being a big one) for possible sequels. I'd also be fine with this being the last movie, it was a lot of fun to revisit this world for a chunk of my day.

The end credits cover of the RATM song sucked imo lol

All matrix movies are good imo

Ghosthotel fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 22, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

About the only good part was the montage of Neo going about his days. Everything else just fell absolutely flat and I was totally checked out in the last quarter of the movie. I could barely understand Bugs in the first part too - just mumbled and spoken so fast. I should have put on subtitles. I didn't care about anything going on and just... I was let down.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Linguica posted:

Something I didn't quite get, are the bots possessed humans or programs among the population? The Analyst mentions that he's saturated the population and I guess that'd imply the latter?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

It was ok, better than it probably has any right to be. My only real criticisms of it is occasional Whedonesque quipping dialogue and a lack of iconic imagery like the Architect scene or “guns, lots of guns.”

The first 20 minutes really don’t leave a very good impression, especially with the in-Matrix foolishness.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

teagone posted:

Yeah, that Doogie scene was so good. The Analyst is a great character.

the movie should've been more about that thematically instead of being a borderline parody about Hollywood

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

i'm not wrong :colbert:

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Love that they filmed it in San Francisco. I was able to see them bring in the helicopters on Market Street in real life (right before lockdown!) and to me it's amazing that they went through the trouble of doing so many physical set pieces with real equipment. I think that gives a bit of credence to the idea that this was also a reaction to what has happened over the last 20 years in Silicon Valley and SF. It looks nice and pretty but there's a sickness in the city that isn't confronted (which is especially ironic with the SF mayor getting a cameo and praising the movie...)

Decent movie overall, it's so so tough to follow The Matrix in general, but I think this was a worthy entry and added some fun lore to the series.

quote:

a lack of iconic imagery like the Architect scene.

I almost wish NPH could have not been such a joker, and instead it was a bit more serious? Because some of the scenes like the bullet time monologue would have been great.

Nybble fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 22, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

lunar detritus posted:

Something I didn't quite get, are the bots possessed humans or programs among the population? The Analyst mentions that he's saturated the population and I guess that'd imply the latter?

It's the latter from what I remember. They're just deployable programs inside the matrix, like sleeper cells. The analyst made a stink bout how cumbersome agents are/were.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is this a sequel to Matrix Revolutions or does it retcon the existing sequels? I don't remember much from those other than they were bad

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Is this a sequel to Matrix Revolutions or does it retcon the existing sequels? I don't remember much from those other than they were bad

they were indeed very bad. unfortunately, this is a direct sequel to all the movies and best enjoyed after u wade through that poo poo.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

It's a sequel. They directly explain things picking up from the 3rd movie.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
They follow directly from the end of them. I think the second two are worthy of a re-watch back to back. It's basically one movie.

But you can figure out what happened based on the conversations had. One line summary of what's definitely needed to know: Neo sacrifices himself to make peace between machines and humans, Trinity also dies in the process. Matrix still runs, but folks are given a choice to leave if they want.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gresh posted:

the movie should've been more about that thematically instead of being a borderline parody about Hollywood

Sure, but making fun of Hollywood culture and its systemic bullshit is cool too. Also, from what I remember reading about this film's development several years ago, Warner Bros. was going to make Matrix 4 with or without the Wachowskis involvement. There was an article or interview released where Keanu said he wouldn't do another Matrix film unless the Wachowskis were writing/directing. That this real-life drama became a meta-textual element in Resurrections' narrative is funny as hell. Lana getting in her "gently caress yous" to both studio and social politics is awesome.

[edit] Did a quick google search. Articles for reference:

https://www.mic.com/articles/171181/keanu-reeves-likely-won-t-return-to-the-matrix-here-s-why-that-s-a-good-thing

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/matrix-reboot-works-at-warner-bros-986292/

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

One thing that bugs me, is that if this movie is all about making Trinity more than Neo's girlfriend, why not make her the protagonist? She spent so much time as the object of desire (and then the maiden in distress) that her awakening moment felt extremely cheap and unearned. And the entire movie was still about Neo's feelings, and Neo's journey, and Neo's learning how things worked.

As self-aware as this movie tried to be, you think they'd have at least packed in a snarky line about "still gotta sell the franchise around the white guy". (And man, did that self-awareness grow tiresome at points.)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I thought this was pretty underwhelming. Whatever they were going for with the meta commentary in the first half just fell flat for me.

Jessica Henwick rules though. I wish we knew more about her character though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yes, cast Jessica Henwick in more things now please. Thank you. Preferably where she also kicks lots of rear end. I am now imaging if she beat out Daisy Ridley and got to be the lead of the sequel trilogy instead. Having an Asian-coded protagonist in Star Wars would've been so loving cool.

:sigh:

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

The train scene was cool and I liked the choreography two of bugs crew had where they did like team assist moves with each other to shoot up bad guys but it is definitely a problem that I cannot remember their names and I saw the movie like an hour ago lol

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The only names I can remember are Seq, Lexy, and Shepherd, but I don't think Shepherd was part of her crew? Or was he. Lmao. I don't remember the Neo-ologist's name.

[edit] I remember the name of one of the machine crew members was like Sabaybay. Unsure how to spell it.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 22, 2021

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

teagone posted:

Yes, cast Jessica Henwick in more things now please. Thank you. Preferably where she also kicks lots of rear end. I am now imaging if she beat out Daisy Ridley and got to be the lead of the sequel trilogy instead. Having an Asian-coded protagonist in Star Wars would've been so loving cool.

She's in Knives Out 2.

I agree with everyone that she definitely made the most of her screen time, out of the entire cast. NPH did excellent as well, from the restrained reasonable bits to the somewhat campier scenery chewing ones.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

teagone posted:

Nah, I wouldn't wish that plague on any actor. I hope she can get casted in actual good movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

We first meet Shepherd in IO and he joins up with the crew for the last part of the movie.

Also forgot to mention this but I really liked the idea of the operators being able to project themselves in the matrix for the crew to see and it felt like a good fix to what we had before which was just occasionally cutting to an operator looking at green code and reacting to something off screen.