Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Apparently the Paxlovid oral pill was approved by FDA, if it works and doesn't gently caress with your body too much it'd be a great thing to have in 2022 for at-home antivirals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

Apparently the Paxlovid oral pill was approved by FDA, if it works and doesn't gently caress with your body too much it'd be a great thing to have in 2022 for at-home antivirals.

Paxlovid my neg hole

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It seems amazingly good, except they just can't make enough soon enough. It will make a difference but just isn't enough.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Kaal posted:

I know that NIH began Phase 1 trials for their universal flu vaccine in June at their Bethesda headquarters, which may be related.

Great, we'll have a vaccine that'll make us noclip through the floor. :rolleyes:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

More evidence that Omicron is less dangerous than Delta: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/22/risk-of-hospital-stay-40-lower-with-omicron-than-delta-uk-data-suggests

And that's without an Omicron-specific treatment, so if this trend continues as we get more data then this is very good news.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Scarodactyl posted:

It seems amazingly good, except they just can't make enough soon enough. It will make a difference but just isn't enough.

I hope it's prioritized for vaccinated transplant patients and such but that's just a selfish concern.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
15% less likely to go to hospital is good but... that's not that big and everyone is going to get this in the space of a few weeks. Still hoping we can break that number out into prior exposure but no vax, prior exposure plus vax, fully vaxxed vs boosted, age groups, etc etc. Or we could just wait a month and see how it goes. I am definitely hunkering down for a couple of weeks, not super terrified of this as I'm fortunate to be well protected/not in a risk group but still.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Mozi posted:

15% less likely to go to hospital is good but... that's not that big and everyone is going to get this in the space of a few weeks. Still hoping we can break that number out into prior exposure but no vax, prior exposure plus vax, fully vaxxed vs boosted, age groups, etc etc. Or we could just wait a month and see how it goes. I am definitely hunkering down for a couple of weeks, not super terrified of this as I'm fortunate to be well protected/not in a risk group but still.

I think the 40-45% reduction in being hospitalized for a day or more is a bit more of a key statistic in terms of what the hospital load is going to look like.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Really wish we had vaccines for kids, that's just a gigantic sad asterisk to "oh well we have vaccines and now everyone is going to be exposed to Omicron."

The news is looking good for severity and lolawful for infectiousness, and with every day that passes "but it's early!" is less of a retort.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I think the 40-45% reduction in being hospitalized for a day or more is a bit more of a key statistic in terms of what the hospital load is going to look like.

True, good point.

Something I'm curious about is of all the people in the US (for example) who reject the existence of COVID, deny vaccines, etc etc - what percentage of that group through pure good luck has managed to avoid infection thus far? Because they certainly won't avoid Omicron; if it's a small percentage then there's a lot of prior immunity which should reduce severity, and if it's large then it could be more severe.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

We did the family Christmas shopping today to get a little bit ahead of when the unvaccinated, unmasked under 12s were likely to be everywhere. We got everything except ground almonds, for almond paste, royal icing, and decent smoked salmon. The good smoked salmon quest will continue tomorrow.
We gonna spatchcock the turkey so we get out for a decent walk on Christmas day

One hour for a 3kg bird is insanely fast. How we even gonna make the gravy, stuffing, bread sauce, cranberry sauce, roast potatoes, yorkie puds in that space of time I don't know

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm actually planning on getting a 2nd booster shot in January according to my doctor they want me to get it.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Mozi posted:

True, good point.

Something I'm curious about is of all the people in the US (for example) who reject the existence of COVID, deny vaccines, etc etc - what percentage of that group through pure good luck has managed to avoid infection thus far? Because they certainly won't avoid Omicron; if it's a small percentage then there's a lot of prior immunity which should reduce severity, and if it's large then it could be more severe.
Yeah, I’d love to see stats on how many people who’ve taken zero precautions somehow managed to avoid Delta. It will be much harder for them to get lucky against Omicron.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mozi posted:

True, good point.

I did some quick googling and I saw estimates that 1 in 3 Americans had gotten COVID by the end of 2020. Add 2021 onto that and I imagine a pretty sizeable chunk of the population has already had it.

Not that that necessarily matters because reinfection is a thing and many are still unvaccinated.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Mozi posted:

True, good point.

A huge percentage of cases are asymptomatic or only present like a cold though; most deniers could get exposed and infected without it rocking their belief system.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

Pookah posted:

We did the family Christmas shopping today to get a little bit ahead of when the unvaccinated, unmasked under 12s were likely to be everywhere. We got everything except ground almonds, for almond paste, royal icing, and decent smoked salmon. The good smoked salmon quest will continue tomorrow.

One hour for a 3kg bird is insanely fast. How we even gonna make the gravy, stuffing, bread sauce, cranberry sauce, roast potatoes, yorkie puds in that space of time I don't know

This post is so English it tried to exit the forums.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Pookah posted:

A 7 pound turkey? That's a medium chicken. Our Thanksgiving turkey was 18 pounds.:911: (8kg in your language).

Skyscraper Raccoon
Jun 12, 2018

Started from the bottom, now we here

DLC Inc posted:

Looking forward to the D&D post by a goon who'll take them whenever they feel the slightest bit of anxiety.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Pfizer solved hardons and Covid, gotta hand it to them

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I also did some quick calculations and saw that in just 45 doublings, 40 trillion people will be infected.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

This is very very very bad… :stare:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

coelomate posted:

Really wish we had vaccines for kids, that's just a gigantic sad asterisk to "oh well we have vaccines and now everyone is going to be exposed to Omicron."

The news is looking good for severity and lolawful for infectiousness, and with every day that passes "but it's early!" is less of a retort.

Except it *is* early. If you assume 7 days from positive test to hospital (which was roughly the delay for previous waves) then we're still working in the 10s or thousands of so infections in the UK 7 days ago, and with the conversion rate for Delta already fluctuating between 1 and 2% that's a *lot* of noise to extract a fairly small signal from. Unfortunately we won't have data from cases caught at the end of last week until this weekend, and apparently there's some sort of weird pagan ceremony happening on Saturday where an old lady's corpse is deep-faked into talking to the nation so nothing's going to get done.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I also did some quick calculations and saw that in just 45 doublings, 40 trillion people will be infected.

Sounds like we need to make more people

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
My sort-of-supervisor/work friend I've worked with every day for over 6 years at this point has had Covid twice, first time with pretty mild symptoms and the second time she's been in and out of the hospital before being admitted last week, pretty quickly put on a vent with kidney failure and bloodclots in the lungs. Just got a call today that they tried to take her off sedation to check on her and they think she's braindead now. Only a handful of people at work are acting differently at all. Like 2 people total out of I dunno 60 put on masks that they poke their noses out of. I just don't get it, I figured once it started hitting closer to home people would wake the gently caress up and take it seriously.

She was/is 37. No health problems to speak of. What a waste of someone's life, hope Joe Rogan and the rest of the brain pill pushers are happy with their 30 pieces of silver.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

coelomate posted:

Really wish we had vaccines for kids

Goons have lied to get shots before. "Hey, kiddo. You're 5 for the next 15 minutes."

Skyscraper Raccoon
Jun 12, 2018

Started from the bottom, now we here

A Stupid Baby posted:

My sort-of-supervisor/work friend I've worked with every day for over 6 years at this point has had Covid twice, first time with pretty mild symptoms and the second time she's been in and out of the hospital before being admitted last week, pretty quickly put on a vent with kidney failure and bloodclots in the lungs. Just got a call today that they tried to take her off sedation to check on her and they think she's braindead now.

Sounds like you're on a fast-track to a promotion, congratulations!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yesterday NSW Australia logged in 3,763 new cases which broke all the records (before omicron I think the highest daily case number in any Aust state was 2,264 down in Vic, NSW has been setting a new record almost every day this week) and freaked everyone out a bit. Today they reported 5,715 new cases and everyone is :stare:

A week ago they relaxed covid restrictions such as masks and QR check-ins and today they've backflipped and announced that check-ins are back: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-23/nsw-brings-back-qr-codes-explores-free-rat-against-covid-19/100721084

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 22, 2021

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Dr Crackl Ping retweeted the “1 vaccine for all Covid” news and it’s apparently confirmed to be in trials, looking good

Edit: adding link to tweet

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1473462641507119108?s=20

A Stupid Baby posted:

My sort-of-supervisor/work friend I've worked with every day for over 6 years at this point has had Covid twice, first time with pretty mild symptoms and the second time she's been in and out of the hospital before being admitted last week, pretty quickly put on a vent with kidney failure and bloodclots in the lungs. Just got a call today that they tried to take her off sedation to check on her and they think she's braindead now. Only a handful of people at work are acting differently at all. Like 2 people total out of I dunno 60 put on masks that they poke their noses out of. I just don't get it, I figured once it started hitting closer to home people would wake the gently caress up and take it seriously.

She was/is 37. No health problems to speak of. What a waste of someone's life, hope Joe Rogan and the rest of the brain pill pushers are happy with their 30 pieces of silver.

A senseless waste of life, I’m so sorry :smith:

I don’t think I could dislike Joe Rogan more, which is weird to say now, seeing as I listened to his podcast for entertainment for years

Wonder what else he brain poisoned me with
(He might have literally brain poisoned me, since I tried his ONNIT BRAND ALPHA BRAIN pills which increased my migraines a lot, gently caress em)

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 22, 2021

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Pfizer solved hardons and Covid, gotta hand it to them

I thought it was CERN that solved hardons

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

A Stupid Baby posted:

gently caress, that's awful. I'm sorry to hear it, I lost someone close to me like that when I was younger.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

A Stupid Baby posted:

My condolences.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

A Stupid Baby posted:

Awful. Sincere condolences.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020

A Stupid Baby posted:

Sincere condolences.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Pookah posted:

No joke check out iceland, they had some really great looking salmon

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

A Stupid Baby posted:

This poo poo sucks. Condolences.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

A Stupid Baby posted:

Just walked out of my job because no one will wear a mask.

We're a clinical testing lab.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

A Stupid Baby posted:

Sorry to hear :smith:

Redgrendel2001 posted:

A covid+ person could possibly contaminate test results if they’re breathing virus all over the prep area.

One of my company’s (medical devices) suppliers had to jettison whole lots of covid tests because their PCR primers were contaminated during manufacturing and their false positive rate shot up.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

I'm sorry about this, and about your workplace handling this in a lovely way. I hope you can find a way to stay safe. :(

Redgrendel2001 posted:

gently caress sakes. Glad you prioritized your health over that literally toxic environment.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 23, 2021

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I was about to say you should leave that job, if there's nothing else keeping you there. Sorry to hear that.

gently caress sakes. Glad you got out of that toxic environment.

I can't afford to not go back tomorrow. Still have 8 months on my lease. Strongly considering an email containing multiple uses of the words"negligence" and "liability".

edit: I'm going to move my cubicle to an empty section of the building and isolate myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I can't afford to not go back tomorrow. Still have 8 months on my lease. Strongly considering an email containing multiple uses of the words"negligence" and "liability".

edit: I'm going to move my cubicle to an empty section of the building and isolate myself.

If you're in the states, their reply will probably contain multiple uses of "lol" and "pack your poo poo".