Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

VagueRant posted:

But I'm also very confused that John Wick got Fishbourne back and this didn't, when I really expected they were hiding something, so hey, maybe that's on my expectations.

This is because Morpheus died in some game and every piece of Matrix media was always canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Not to be a "you just didnt understand it heh" guy but I am noticing a trend in some of the negative reviews and some posts in this thread of people missing some really basic plot points which is something that I think has gotten worse as movies have had simultaneous streaming/theatrical releases. There is definitely forgettable stuff in this movie, me and a few others struggled to remember the names of Bug's crew. But stuff like "Why is he called Morpheus" is explicitly stated to you in the movie so if you don't understand it I think its an issue of just not paying attention :shrug:

If you wanna experience this happening in real time you can go and visit the wikipedia page for the movie because the plot summary has changed multiple times through out the day and every edit is like a completely different movie lol

Some stuff that stood out to me was one edit claimed Smith controlled the swarm, and another edit just said that Niobe was Old now and that the movie did not explain why lol

Ghosthotel fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 23, 2021

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Echoing others in this thread regarding that end credits music. It was like “Babby’s First RATM Cover Song” and went in the exact opposite direction of going hard.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

surf rock posted:

Is this a you-need-to-see-it-in-theaters kind of movie in terms of the visual effects and score, or is it fine at home?

I really appreciated having big booming subwoofers in my showing, but nothing too much more than that.

I was tempted to rewatch it tonight, especially to pick on some of the speech that got missed without subtitles, but I think I want to rewatch the original first. What a goddamn classic.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Nybble posted:

I was tempted to rewatch it tonight, especially to pick on some of the speech that got missed without subtitles, but I think I want to rewatch the original first. What a goddamn classic.

Yeah, I generally liked this but every time it cut to a shot from the original movie I just wanted to go watch it instead.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
No Fishburne because he died in matrix online? That's a hall of fame lovely creative decision if i ever saw one.

And even if he did die, why not just say neo made the morpheus bot look like morpheus?

Despera fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 23, 2021

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I mean, there are reasonable criticisms to make of this film on a number of levels, but as with the Star Wars sequels a lot of the criticism seems to focus on "they didn't make the movie I wanted them to make, and it pisses me off."

Enough people have already mentioned the comparatively crappy fight scene choreography, the more forgettable secondary characters, etc. and those are legitimate issues, but the new Morpheus thing is just a choice that many people don't like. Personally, I thought it was an interesting way to break away from the original in ways, and a subversion of the story from the original, so I liked it.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Ghosthotel posted:

Not to be a "you just didnt understand it heh" guy but I am noticing a trend in some of the negative reviews and some posts in this thread of people missing some really basic plot points which is something that I think has gotten worse as movies have had simultaneous streaming/theatrical releases. There is definitely forgettable stuff in this movie, me and a few others struggled to remember the names of Bug's crew. But stuff like "Why is he called Morpheus" is explicitly stated to you in the movie so if you don't understand it I think its an issue of just not paying attention :shrug:

I think some people just aren't media literate or they just have short attention spans in general. For this movie, I can see some confusion since some things aren't directly explained, and while there can be some inference, you could be mistaken. Like I talked to a friend and I was initially mistaken when I thought that neo and trinity were being kept close to each other in order to produce more electricity. But my friend said they weren't the ones making the extra power. They were just the "key" to the new matrix (which can extract more power from people) to be stable. That's true, the movie says exactly that they are the key to it. But then a later scene, someone says that the "anomalliam was only drawing current" from trinity which made the matrix unstable, so that's why I thought those two's power specifically was what the matrix needed. At least with streaming, I can immediately go back and listen closer to exactly what's being said, even if it's still pretty vague. And I also didn't quite understand at first why smith and merv wanted neo dead if smith wanted to be free from the analyst. Like, he said to have their lives back, neo's had to end and didn't get it. But in full context, I see now that this version of the matrix needed neo to be alive and without him, then it would have gotten rebooted to the 1.0 version from the original trilogy where they're both how we knew them. This wasn't clear until the idea of a matrix reset wasn't brought up until later in the movie, so I can see how other people might not have made that connection either.

Despera posted:

No Fishburne because he died in matrix online? That's a hall of fame lovely creative decision if i ever saw one.

People are just guessing. Ultimately, fishburne being in the movie didn't mesh with the time jump or the robotic resurrection, he's not famous enough to be necessary, and he's not in physical shape to be doing any action anyway.

Lister fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 23, 2021

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

I definitely re-winded a minute or two back once or twice because I felt like I had missed something. I normally don't need subtitles but I think this movie benefits from it because sometimes they can say a bunch of poo poo really quickly at you.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I loved this and I thought it was a perfect epilogue for the main trilogy. A metatextual love story that dives into full sentiment. I don't want any more Matrix because its done now.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I admit that the whole operation on Trinitt and jacking her into Bugs? completely flew over my head but it was also one of the few really good action shots of the movie so I let it slide. :v:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
After 22 years of watching and analyzing the originals, I think it can be difficult for people to sort of remember how weird and nonsensical the originals all seemed at first too. The spiritual successor to The Matrix cannot be a movie that makes sense on the first viewing. Arguably it should be a bit more of a movie that makes you say "hey that was weird but it loving rocked, I'm about to go watch it again" and it didn't hit that mark for everyone (though, for my part, it did for me).

I think, and I am aware of the irony, the impulse to jump right on the Internet and discuss every little bit of a film is not great for one's enjoyment in general. Honestly, I'm open to other views, but I can't help but think the people saying "oh my god that was a complete waste of time and the worst film ever" are just a little bit... unhinged.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

MJeff posted:

I admit that the whole operation on Trinitt and jacking her into Bugs? completely flew over my head but it was also one of the few really good action shots of the movie so I let it slide. :v:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe the reason was They mention how they're going to get Trinity out without her taking the red pill because there would presumably not be time for her to go through that whole process and I think having bugs "sync" up with her was basically a way to have her brain be able to handle the shock of waking up

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Lister posted:

People are just guessing. Ultimately, fishburne being in the movie didn't mesh with the time jump or the robotic resurrection, he's not famous enough to be necessary, and he's not in physical shape to be doing any action anyway.

Matrix films need his gravitas badly.

And yes having bad fight scenes in an action movie is KINDA a big deal.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ghosthotel posted:

I definitely re-winded a minute or two back once or twice because I felt like I had missed something. I normally don't need subtitles but I think this movie benefits from it because sometimes they can say a bunch of poo poo really quickly at you.

Same. But I would say the same about the first one. The first time you watch it, you don't have any idea what's going on for the first 20 minutes and there's a bunch of unfamiliar terms and crap being thrown at you. I think it's not necessarily a point against the film that it replicated that same sense of "wait what the gently caress is going on here, what are they talking about?"

I felt the same about the FF7 Remake: confusion and ambiguity is such a big part of my memory of playing the first FF7, and of watching the Matrix for the first time, that it wouldn't seem right to have a successor that simply "makes sense."

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

That's a good point and something I actually experienced recently. My girlfriend had just never gotten around to seeing the first movie and when we saw it we had to pause a few times for me to explain some stuff to her I thought was obvious, but it would of course be obvious to me because I've definitely seen the matrix like 10+ times since it came out lol

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

teagone posted:

Yes, cast Jessica Henwick in more things now please. Thank you. Preferably where she also kicks lots of rear end. I am now imaging if she beat out Daisy Ridley and got to be the lead of the sequel trilogy instead. Having an Asian-coded protagonist in Star Wars would've been so loving cool.

:sigh:

Bringing this post up from way back because I just remembered that Jessica Henwick is in TFA as an X-wing pilot :sigh:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

MJeff posted:

I didn’t understand a god drat bit of this sequence.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Blue Raider posted:

The whole thing with Sati felt weirdly rushed and out of place, including her "I have to go now, my planet needs me" sendoff.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lister posted:

He was in pretty good shape for MacGruber. Not like a stunt double wouldn't be handling 99% of the workload anyways.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I really liked the film. It's half the film of the first one but I enjoyed it a ton nonetheless. A lot of good criticisms here. The fight choreography seemed fine but the way it was shot and edited made it hard to keep track of and it did feel like they had to edit around things they couldn't film due to Covid. But I think the story and script were pretty top-notch. It's definitely uneven with the first 2/3rds being stronger than the final act but I thought the final scene was amazing and if this is the last Matrix film made, then it's a good one to end on.

I appreciated that Trinity had to die in order to get her flight and other powers, much like Neo had to in the first film. Fun little detail there that I didn't pick up on until I thought about the film after watching it.

The jabs at Warner were really nice too, being a fan of Snyder's DC films (if the tags didn't give that away). The executives there are a bunch of chumps who make bad decisions.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
Absolutely wonderful movie and people not liking it just makes me love it even more.

wiki piss and poo poo

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Shiroc posted:

I loved this and I thought it was a perfect epilogue for the main trilogy. A metatextual love story that dives into full sentiment. I don't want any more Matrix because its done now.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I remember when I was watching it, wondering who made the decision to make the swarm bots that dive-bombed out of the skyscraper windows splat with code effects. My first thought was that the studio just didn’t want that much explicit gore even in an r-rated movie. But after reading some of the earlier discussion in this thread I think it’s pretty clear that they are not humans at all, possessed or otherwise, but just literal zombie bots. I mean, I guess that should’ve been obvious since they were actually called bots out loud in the movie, but I’ve got the 20-year history telling me that people in the matrix are really real people in pods.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

MJeff posted:

Blue Raider posted:

They had to transfer Trinity from using the plugin to the Analyst-created pods to their plugin, so they could move her before the sentinels found out and swarmed in. They ran a bypass to Bugs, whose mind is sufficiently similar to Trinity, to run Trinity's matrix body long enough for the swap to happen.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I have to say, this is absolutely my favorite of the Matrix movies. My favorite thing about the series is the actual Matrix itself, the conflict of finding ways to express yourself and expand your consciousness while surrounded by systems of control and oppression. By Revolutions, the series had drifted away from that, and even the original movie didn't focus too much on Neo's life pre-pill. It's why previously The Animatrix was my favorite of the series.

What I appreciate about Resurrections is how long it spends detailing exactly how degrading life in the Matrix is. It's certainly the case that none of the programs are as portentous or sinister as their predecessors, but that's to the movie's credit. Diegetically, it's a new Matrix, at least two major updates removed from the one we saw last time. It makes sense that the new crew is going to have a different approach. Thematically, the point is that the forces of oppression - of capitalist exploitation, transphobia, sexism, etc. - don't need to suppress people through violence or authoritarian control, but also through triviality. Neo and Trinity are brought under heel by constantly rendering their dreams cheap, smirking at them all the while.

This is where the meta-stuff hits hardest: the Pill imagery has been cheapened through twenty years of hijacking by some of the worst people alive. Every sneering "red pilled" joke used to demean others is an insult to the Wachowskis' work. The point was never that the people who take the red pill are more special than everyone else, it was that it was a right denied to all. If Trinity could have had  the One's powers it suggests anyone could have.

One thing I will say is that the action scenes were good, but not great, which was a disappointment. The final chase was the best of them, but it doesn't compare to any of the series' incredible chases. For me, though, the appeal of the series was always more in its visual inventiveness beyond the action scenes, and Resurrections delivers on that front. My jaw dropped at the the shot for shot remix of The Matrix's opening, at nu-Smith's awakening, and Bugs and Trinity's mind meld. None of the action set-pieces paid off that well, but those moments are, to me, as memorable as anything from the original series.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

pospysyl posted:

One thing I will say is that the action scenes were good, but not great, which was a disappointment. The final chase was the best of them, but it doesn't compare to any of the series' incredible chases. For me, though, the appeal of the series was always more in its visual inventiveness beyond the action scenes, and Resurrections delivers on that front. My jaw dropped at the the shot for shot remix of The Matrix's opening, at nu-Smith's awakening, and Bugs and Trinity's mind meld. None of the action set-pieces paid off that well, but those moments are, to me, as memorable as anything from the original series.

The action scenes felt kind of perfunctory - it's a Matrix movie so you have to have bullet time and kung fu, but there's not a ton of focus on them and none of the scenes seem designed to pop

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Hand Knit posted:

One of the plot ideas in this movie is it was never really “the one” and it always took two to work.

And, well, this is a movie with only one Wachowski.

lol how has nobody else clapped for this fantastic point?

By all accounts Lana went full Clint Eastwood in making this, so it's not surprising the action sequences are sloppy and disjointed. That's the kind of poo poo that attention to detail tightens up, and is generally not in the wheelhouse of someone shooting three takes then going to lunch.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Golden Bee posted:

Three. If you’re going to do an after credits joke, “it’s not funny on purpose“ is a weird take. It was clearly written to be funny. The producers had a song 20 years ago about how the play is over, go home, get out.

The movie has very explicit commentary, no subtext reading required. poo poo is on the surface. It could not be more clear why there's an after credit scene that takes the piss. If you don't find it funny, or get it but think it's dumb, then whatever. That's fine. But who cares, it's just a stupid stinger lol.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
1. Maybe the other Wachowski was the one good at action scenes? The movie did tell us in the brain storming scene for the Matrix 4 video game that no one has topped the idea of the bullet trails of the original matrix, and that’s true of real world cinema. The movie also mocked the guys on the video game team saying it needs more guns and action. It couldn’t be more obvious that this criticism was aimed at the audience unless they broke the 4th wall and had the actors turn and wink into the camera.

2. Everything about or involving Niobe was terrible.

I liked it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I liked Niobe because she was the best secondary primary character in the original movies. She works well as a person who the audience knows had faith in Neo, fit to explain how things changed and it would make sense why she would be conflicted in getting involved again because she knows how hard they fought to get to the new, better if imperfect status quo. A new character would read as a villain for being in Neo's way and someone like original Morpheus would be too hard to believe he wouldn't jump right back in.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ghosthotel posted:

If you wanna experience this happening in real time you can go and visit the wikipedia page for the movie because the plot summary has changed multiple times through out the day and every edit is like a completely different movie lol

Some stuff that stood out to me was one edit claimed Smith controlled the swarm, and another edit just said that Niobe was Old now and that the movie did not explain why lol

Wow that second thing in the spoiler there, what the hell how could anyone miss the explanation the movie is very blunt and to the point about that. What on earth. Incredible.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Resurrections was a lot better than I thought. I enjoyed it a lot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought the movie was stronger in the first half when it was being super weird and once they explained everything and started doing action scenes it just kind of lost its charm.

Also wasn't a fan of Grof-Smith. He was too "normal" and didn't have any of Weaving-Smith's gravitas.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I'm not understanding why people are going into this expecting some dumb action movie and not a commentary on something with verbose writing. I'm not watching this for dumb action scenes. I swear online criticism and conversation has gone down the toilet.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

this movie took way too long to do whatever it was it wanted to do. it's like they padded it out just so they could make a sequel. gently caress outta here with this poo poo.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
All the scenes in the diner/bar felt like TV show footage. Also the outdoor night scenes in the third act.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There's definitely an expectation with a Matrix movie that it's gonna be the highest level of action and special effects, because the original trilogy had some groundbreaking stuff in it. So while I did like some things in this movie in terms of the plot and the characters, it was a big letdown in the action department. Even just the basic kung fu fights were a major step back from what we got in the earlier films.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 23, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I kinda think that if Lana could have gotten away with it, this movie would have had almost no action scenes at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol at bringing frenchy back for no reason. That was so dumb.

This would have been better as a proper heist movie