Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I can't speak for Ender 3 but I have a Prusa and had to put it together and I learned so much from that process that helped immensely the bunch of times I've had to pull it apart to fix things... Since it was my first printer If I'd inherited it or bought one fully built I'm not sure i'd be as confident pulling it to pieces, particularly as I'm not traditionally much of a DIY guy.

If its got a bunch of mods and you aren't familiar with it it might be more difficult to diagnose issues? Or it could be that everyone has those mods and easy to get help.

So just another thing to factor in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
My prusa mini is working overtime making little add-on gifts for people. Doing a run of dino clips and dragon clips,

Just need to zap them with the hot-air gun to remove the stringing now.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

E3D Revo preorders are up. https://e3d-online.com/collections/revo

A bit pricy. Expected to ship Q1 22.

I am really eager to try out the quick changing nozzles. I basically never change nozzles on my v6 right now because I hate dealing with it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

I am really eager to try out the quick changing nozzles. I basically never change nozzles on my v6 right now because I hate dealing with it.
Same. Only reason I print permanently with 0.4.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Spending the last 10 minutes of a print, staring at it, considering hot swapping the filament:

When the print was done:

Weight your filament before a 12 hour print imo.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

That's just called perfect planning

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Well, Prusa said not to expect my Mini to even ship until January, but I now have a stack of filament and spare parts in my living room and the printer itself is purportedly on a truck en route to my house

I should get the octoprint server set up, I wasn't expecting to need that yet!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Do you need the Octoprint server? I haven't used one for my Mini yet and haven't seen a reason to.

It's not like I have to actively monitor whatever I'm printing or anything. If the first layer sticks I go do something else until the expected print time is done.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Octopi is just one of those nice-to-have things, bonus points for another excuse to tinker. If you have a spare Pi laying around I say go for it.

I find it useful, personally. No more jockeying SD cards around, and no more scrolling though tiny menus to find the one file you want to print from file name alone. Bonus points for remote monitoring - I have a camera set up on mine, along with the VPN set up on my network I can take a peek whenever and wherever.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I understand the benefits and have a couple set up on my other printers, I just haven't bothered with actually *using* any of the features other than the remote file uploading to the Pi (and whenever I'm doing stuff with the Mini I'm usually physically walking from my house to my shop building anyway to swap build plates or whatever).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Serenade posted:

Spending the last 10 minutes of a print, staring at it, considering hot swapping the filament:

When the print was done:

Weight your filament before a 12 hour print imo.

Something touching the lead screw is giving me anxiety.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Ooooh yeah!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Enos Shenk posted:

Ooooh yeah!

:swoon:

And I got my shipping notice for the Phrozen DLP 8k printer!! :woop:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Enos Shenk posted:

Ooooh yeah!

:hellyeah:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I understand the benefits and have a couple set up on my other printers, I just haven't bothered with actually *using* any of the features other than the remote file uploading to the Pi (and whenever I'm doing stuff with the Mini I'm usually physically walking from my house to my shop building anyway to swap build plates or whatever).

webcams (especially if you sign up for Spaghetti Detective)
bed level visualization
remote upload
push notifications from Spaghetti Detective
flashing new firmware
timelapses if that's your thing

the level of convenience between my FDM printers and my SLA printers is immense.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I have my printer out in the garage and honestly it's a godsend, not having to go out there constantly to check if everything is working ok, or whether the print I just sent through actually started.

The MMU2S is a temperamental bitch though, do I probably need to check it more than the average user

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Isometric Bacon posted:

I have my printer out in the garage and honestly it's a godsend, not having to go out there constantly to check if everything is working ok, or whether the print I just sent through actually started.

The MMU2S is a temperamental bitch though, do I probably need to check it more than the average user

I'm tempted to set up a webcam next to my printer so I can peek at it without having to get up lol

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I'm liking fluiddPi vs octopi. I guess I would like spaghettis detective, but the pause alone has been awesome in changing filament on the fly.

The interface is cleaner, and z level changes are working. Agree with the above on dumping SD cards and printing from the network, and when i want to run a bunch of articulated slugs, its nice having the gcode reprint with a button press.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Isometric Bacon posted:

:smith::respek::smith: mmu bro

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

I think I finally got everything dialed in. It doesn't hurt the weather is bone dry, tho

Now to change things!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Doctor Zero posted:

:swoon:

And I got my shipping notice for the Phrozen DLP 8k printer!! :woop:

OMG. That looks amazing!

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Ran out of the copper on the last one (the kids broke) so I had to switch. Caught it just as the last bit was entering the extruder. If i had more i would have liked just the top layers blue but these look really cool in complementary silk pla colors

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Is there a dummies guide to what to play with when you want to print faster/start messing with slicer settings?

Obviously you need a bigger nozzle to really lay down plastic faster. But if you want to test how fast you can go with a filament and printer combo, whats the best calibration routine? I'm fine with watching some youtube or reading a blog if this is a dumb question, but I don't know who has good info?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

It's alive! Initial calibration went really smoothly, now I have it printing out a calicat for dimensional accuracy checks before I start printing actual parts for things.

After that my first project is going to be printing out the rest of my daughter's cuttlefish, then probably swap to PETG and print out some upgrades for the printer itself.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Do you need the Octoprint server? I haven't used one for my Mini yet and haven't seen a reason to.

It's not like I have to actively monitor whatever I'm printing or anything. If the first layer sticks I go do something else until the expected print time is done.

I mean, I don't need it, but as others have pointed out it's just more convenient to be able to slice a thing on my laptop and click "go" rather than physically moving around data like it's 1992. And it's also nice to be able to check on the print remotely, although that will need some additional hardware because the USB webcam I was using for that previously has been scavenged for telecommuting in plague year.

And I already had a spare Rpi2 lying around, I just hadn't gotten around to reinstalling octopi on it.

Enos Shenk posted:

Ooooh yeah!

Hooooooly poo poo

I need one of these in my life

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Vaporware posted:

Is there a dummies guide to what to play with when you want to print faster/start messing with slicer settings?

Obviously you need a bigger nozzle to really lay down plastic faster. But if you want to test how fast you can go with a filament and printer combo, whats the best calibration routine? I'm fine with watching some youtube or reading a blog if this is a dumb question, but I don't know who has good info?

Look up klipper, it's really the only way to go besides just cranking up print speeds and extrusion rate on your printer.

You can get away without it, but you can use something like super slicer to crank up acceleration, but klipper can use methods to stop the ringing and other artifacts you pick up besides that you can play with travel speeds, which will speed up an overall print time, then move to infill speed, etc. Basically up the speed on things nobody will see

Stock hotend put out laughably small plastic, barely keeping up with stock speeds on a . 4 nozzle. You are correct that simply going to . 6 if your hotend can push it will do a lot for you

Be careful, there is a fine line between printing faster and quality, or having the printer print for x hours, or the printer being offline for x hours because you flew too close to the sun and broke something going fast

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I'm tempted to set up a webcam next to my printer so I can peek at it without having to get up lol

do it! I have a security cam I can pan and zoom in my workshop and I can see if stuff is failing / done / on fire. It's great!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

anyone have a link to a good model for a drill bit organization tray system? All of the ones I can find on thingiverse are badly designed messes with thick walls

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Roundboy posted:

Be careful, there is a fine line between printing faster and quality

Got it. I will start reading more. The downside of getting a it-just-works prusa is that it works well enough out of the box, so I don't know much outside the walled garden of built in settings, so far.

Oh and I was gifted a CHT 0.4 nozzle for Christmas, but I'm scared to put it on without knowing how to use it. Even reading up on changing nozzles makes me nervous, lol.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Vaporware posted:

Oh and I was gifted a CHT 0.4 nozzle for Christmas, but I'm scared to put it on without knowing how to use it. Even reading up on changing nozzles makes me nervous, lol.
I want one, but I preordered a Revo. So I sure hope Bondtech eventually figures out how to make one as a Revo nozzle.

--edit:
That said, ramping up speeds only does so much, if you're at low accelerations. I recently started to increase speeds, bumping perimeters by 33% and infill by 50% resulted in around 9-10% time savings, and I'm at 4500mm/s² (half of that on small features, a Klipper thing).

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 24, 2021

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Vaporware posted:

Got it. I will start reading more. The downside of getting a it-just-works prusa is that it works well enough out of the box, so I don't know much outside the walled garden of built in settings, so far.

Its fine once you understand where it goes sideways. A gap between the top of the nozzle and the PTFE tube will eventually cause problems. Also heating /expansion is why you dont cold tighten it, but do it warmed up.

using prussiaslicer you should have the option to increase the specific speeds for various operations.. From different sources you can try in order :

Setting the travel speed to an absurd number, and the printer will go as fast as allowed in firmware. you want the nozzle to go from a to b when its not extruding as fast as possible

Set infill speed up. So long as your extruder isnt skipping, and material is adhering to the previous layer. it doesnt have to look pretty.

Z speed up. You can hop up to the next layer quickly, same as travel settings. Play with it because this is kinda like a retraction setting.

Outer wall / parameter is the visual aspect. this is most sensitive to speed tuning. Almost equal with top/bottom layer speed.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

so Im dealing with a really annoying issue at the moment. I have 2 elegoo saturn printers running the same blend of resin.

the 1st printer seems to work great, but the second is having issues where the supports arent generating or are generating but not connecting to the model.

Is it possible the 2 machines have different exposure settings etc? not exactly sure whats going on here, and Im starting to wondering if the new fep material I bought is maybe the culprit.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

w00tmonger posted:

so Im dealing with a really annoying issue at the moment. I have 2 elegoo saturn printers running the same blend of resin.

the 1st printer seems to work great, but the second is having issues where the supports arent generating or are generating but not connecting to the model.

Is it possible the 2 machines have different exposure settings etc? not exactly sure whats going on here, and Im starting to wondering if the new fep material I bought is maybe the culprit.

One problem that stumped me completely was a loose FEP, where models in the middle just wouldn't print other than base layers and a few supports. Are you getting anything printing on that printer?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

InternetJunky posted:

One problem that stumped me completely was a loose FEP, where models in the middle just wouldn't print other than base layers and a few supports. Are you getting anything printing on that printer?

currently not really and I just swapped the fep. properly tightened etc as far as I can tell. maybe I did somehting wrong though as that does make sense. rerunning exposure tests to confirm

I have some new elegoo nfeps coming in middle of next week but some maniacs made big orders I was going to try and crank out before then...

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Vaporware posted:

Nothing really changes about how you use the printer, although I found I had to lower my print temperatures, to even values that seem nuts.

eSun ABSmax at 215 degrees! A Microswiss setup I also print ABS on routinely needs 235-240 degrees with the same filament. The resulting parts are strong, neat as gently caress, and there is very little ooze even with the 0.6mm nozzle. Whatever is going on internally it's transferring heat into the filament that much more efficiently.

Only downside I've seen so far is that the nozzle can get some material build up over time, but my fingernail removes it when cool.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
That's pretty wild to print ABS that low. Makes me want to try that too! Unfortunately my ABS is glow, so I need to wait for a hardened nozzle to show up, or go get one without a fill.

only another hour left on my lack enclosure until I can swap out for the CHT.

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009
As soon as there's a Revo - compatible tungsten carbide nozzle I'll probably make the switch. (based on some of the reviews it sounds like that's in the works.) I use too many abrasive filaments on a regular basis to justify a system that doesn't have a high-wear nozzle but I imagine by the time they do exist there will be a solidly-refined bunch of Voron mounting setups from which to choose.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

w00tmonger posted:

currently not really and I just swapped the fep. properly tightened etc as far as I can tell. maybe I did somehting wrong though as that does make sense. rerunning exposure tests to confirm

I have some new elegoo nfeps coming in middle of next week but some maniacs made big orders I was going to try and crank out before then...

Same models with different results?

I was going to suggest looking at firmware revisions but Occam’s razor and all - probably be the FEPs. My Phrozen Mini 4k started giving me grief which it never has before. I was stumped until I realized it started after I changed the FEP so I probably did something wrong. Going to change it this weekend to see if that’s it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Wanderless posted:

As soon as there's a Revo - compatible tungsten carbide nozzle I'll probably make the switch. (based on some of the reviews it sounds like that's in the works.) I use too many abrasive filaments on a regular basis to justify a system that doesn't have a high-wear nozzle but I imagine by the time they do exist there will be a solidly-refined bunch of Voron mounting setups from which to choose.
E3D has a successor to Nozzle X coming up, called "Obxidian", of which there'll also be a Revo version.

Also, there's a beta version of the new Stealthburner print head for the larger Vorons out. It includes a mount for the Revo micro.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

w00tmonger posted:

I guess it's worth asking -- any chance your new FEP still has a protective film on one side of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Printed off a calibration cat to do some dimensional accuracy checks and now I can't find my calipers :negative:

It looks pretty close based on eyeballing it with a ruler but when the part is 5-10mm wide it's hard to assess by eye