Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

yeh I know the old rule, I figured since they actually needed poo poo done they wouldn't pull the rug out from under me, but welp. there ya go. i was foolish.

and they have already started calling, lol

"Yeah, I'm happy to consult on that for you. My hourly rate is $fuckyou+50% and I have a ten hour minimum. Being a new business, I only accept upfront payment. I'm sure you understand."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

lmao the president came down and offered people a $3000 bonus to work the 24th, 25th and 26th full shifts

that's a no from me dog, especially since it'd be 1-9pm.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

lmao the president came down and offered people a $3000 bonus to work the 24th, 25th and 26th full shifts

that's a no from me dog, especially since it'd be 1-9pm.

What industry is this? What the hell would reasonably be open other than retail, which would never see a bonus like that?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Yeah I'd work Christmas for 3k bonus on top of Stat and poo poo.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Motronic posted:

What industry is this? What the hell would reasonably be open other than retail, which would never see a bonus like that?

manufacturing.

we got a last minute approval to ship 7 million bucks and they wanna stuff it in the quarter end

i would have done it if I had been given more than 2 days notice before loving christmas.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sounds like the bonus offer it too low.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Motronic posted:

Sounds like the bonus offer it too low.

I’ve known salaried people to volunteer for holiday shifts because they don’t want to spend time with their families. I’d be really surprised if there aren’t enough people who don’t celebrate christmas/people who hate their families/don’t have them and don’t want to be reminded, or people who want 3k that they wouldn’t fill that the gently caress up no problem.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I'd work for 3K on Christmas...

Mainly cause I'm already working on Christmas anyhow

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
my wife and i tend to celebrate holidays like a week after they actually happen to avoid crowds and price gouging so hell yeah I'd work for $3k on christmas

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

My mom used to work holidays because she's a nurse and got something like triple pay.

Edit: she probably still does.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It's weird seeing people talking about two week notice periods and jobs marching you out as soon as you give notice, where I work they've been trying to get everyone onto three month notice periods (due to constantly haemorrhaging staff).

Our business is split into two sections at my site, and as much as I moan about my job, the other side get it so much worse. They were giving out Xmas gifts yesterday (no significant bonuses), we got hampers, the other part got some chocolates... but as an extra, they all got a letter emphasising how the break structure works. They get 30 minutes unpaid and that's it, they must stop taking tea breaks, or if they really want one, it must be unpaid. Considering they work an extra 30 minutes each day compared to our side, I doubt that they would be wanting to stay an extra 20 minutes so they can go get a cup of coffee. Oh also they're stopping people eating or drinking anything other than water outside the canteen! (NB rule does not apply to the part of the building where the CEO and her cohorts work) In an uncharacteristic display of goodwill, they have confirmed that the time people spend walking from the production line to the canteen (2-3 minutes each way) does not count as their breaktime. A Christmas miracle for sure!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
30 minutes break and not counting time to get to the breakroom is about as close to the minimum legal requirements as you can get.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Last day at my current, soon to be old, job. Start the new, better, much higher paying one Monday.

I had one coworker ask me to be a reference. I expected it to be a while before it came up, if ever, but basically immediately had a place calling me for the reference. A bunch of others have asked for tips on interviewing as a dev in the current market and/or said "I'll likely be the next behind you!"

I think they are gonna be hemorrhaging technical staff. I peeked in the ticket queue for termination and onboarding, and there were more terminations than I cared to count and like 2 onboarding tickets. So it appears they already are elsewhere.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

goatface posted:

30 minutes break and not counting time to get to the breakroom is about as close to the minimum legal requirements as you can get.

Absolutely. My wife works a council job, and they routinely give her 6 hour shifts which means no legal requirement for taking a break. But I tell her, if they ever expect her to stay even one second more than 6 hours (i.e. she's not out the door on time every single 6-hour shift), then they legally have to have provided her with a 20 minute rest break earlier in the day. But she never pushes for it.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Marmaduke! posted:

It's weird seeing people talking about two week notice periods and jobs marching you out as soon as you give notice, where I work they've been trying to get everyone onto three month notice periods (due to constantly haemorrhaging staff).
Three month notice periods? Is there a contract involved where they agree to pay you for that length of time?

Because the instant you give your notice, they're searching for your replacement...and if they find a candidate in two weeks, I would not trust that they wouldn't let you go right after that and suddenly you're up a creek since you don't have an offer-in-hand to start at soon. I wouldn't be thrilled about giving that long of a notice even with a contract, but it's laughable to think people would do so without one.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

MagusofStars posted:

Three month notice periods? Is there a contract involved where they agree to pay you for that length of time?

Because the instant you give your notice, they're searching for your replacement...and if they find a candidate in two weeks, I would not trust that they wouldn't let you go right after that and suddenly you're up a creek since you don't have an offer-in-hand to start at soon. I wouldn't be thrilled about giving that long of a notice even with a contract, but it's laughable to think people would do so without one.

They’re spelling of hemorrhaging makes me think they’re British where as I understand it everything’s contract and you can get in trouble for just quitting or letting someone go on both sides

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I fear we may live in different realities. In mine (plague island), I work at the kind of place where they will maybe start thinking about putting up a job ad a few weeks after you've given your notice in. My (former) supervisor left early October and his replacement won't be starting til almost February. My supervisor's manager left shortly after he did and they've just re-advertised his job, we'll be lucky to have any leadership on site by March at this rate. On the other part of the business, their equivalent manager was last seen in about August (she disappeared after we had to call in paramedics when her team said they would no longer work overtime for free), then she officially left in October and they are getting nowhere with her replacement.

"Garden leave" is sometimes used to keep people off work when they have handed in their notice and probably should have been used with that last manager, as she started messaging me (and others) for some reports just before her departure was officially announced, no doubt so she could show off "her" amazing work for whatever new job she had lined up.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Even though it worked out for me in this case, since I was able to basically give 2 weeks notice and almost immediately start the new job, I'd much rather prefer a situation like the one in a lot of European countries where quitting and firing are both slow processes rather than the instant and surprising mess it is here.

It sucks on the employee's end because a "nice" employer will fire you and maybe give you a couple weeks pay along with paying out whatever they are legally required to from your PTO and such. An average to lovely employer will give you no warning, no severance pay, and will make you sue to try to get stuff like PTO paid out.

It sucks on the manager's end because you basically have to assume any direct report will jump ship at any time. This turns into a paranoia game any time someone you like starts having doctor's appointments every week. Sometimes this makes a bit of a feedback loop where a paranoid manager wants to grill the gently caress out of the reports about PTO requests, who then hate the job even more.

This all is great for the actual employer who can do stuff like look at one bad quarter and can 10% of their employees to show the investors they are saving money or whatever. Because of the flexibility in hiring, they can just hire the same number of employees a few months later to bullshit that they have some aggressive growth strategy or whatever.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 23, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

MagusofStars posted:

My second real job was a secondment from my first job. After a few months, my boss told me he was dissolving and I should ask to stay on. In the interview, I told them I was leaving in two years, which ended up being 3 years. This was in the mid-'00s and the industry was very casual and less professional, but I think they appreciated the honesty and really what company has their staffing sorted out two years ahead.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Escape From Noise posted:

My mom used to work holidays because she's a nurse and got something like triple pay.

I once worked at a place that had a really good holiday pay setup: if a week had a company holiday in it, then all full-time hourly employees got eight free hours of regular pay that week, so that nobody would have a great big hole in their paycheck. And if you were actually working on that day, then you would get double-time holiday pay for it... and that's on top of the eight free hours that everybody got; those didn't go away because you were working. So depending on how you look at it, holidays were either double or triple time, but either way, it was good enough that there was never any shortage of volunteers for holiday skeleton crew.

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
Worked at fast food for a while. Franchise president was a two-faced rear end in a top hat, so a lot of sneaky poo poo got pulled, including;

Telling one of the store managers that he'd give her the raise she requested and then gave her half of it without telling her. When she found out on payday and confronted him, he then told her all the reasons he couldn't give her the raise.
Not getting off the GM's rear end when she had to leave to another state to say goodbye to her sister and attend the funeral the week before Thanksgiving. She texted him that she needed time to process everything, and all he sent back was "So are you not coming back to work today?"

Both of them quit after that. Keep in mind, this is an oceanfront store, and the GM was one of the only managers who could handle the place in the summer. The store has no actual managers now, instead it's limping along with visiting managers opening it 3 hours later than normal, including a manager who just sits and chain smokes, who I saw wash his hands maybe twice, including after handling raw meat (which he had to be told by an employee to do multiple times) and grabs fries and nuggets with his bare hands.

I also never saw half of the safety alarms that should have been there - Temperature alarm for the dish sink, CO2 alarms for the CO2 canisters, etc. Half of the equipment was probably older than me, with the president just scheduling constant maintenance instead of just getting new equipment under the guise that it's cheaper. :v: Somehow I don't see the economics of having a repair man out two or three times a week being cheaper than just buying a new oven, meat cooler, freezer, etc. but what do I know? The only time we got new headsets was when the president's son had to run the store because we had no manager. Dude also just poured grease into the oven, so guess we know why that's breaking.

I am so loving glad I'm out of there. It was a sinking ship.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Escape From Noise posted:

I used to take some holidays for the extra pay since I'd get double time & it was always dead at work. Usually NYE since I'm not a big party person, then sometimes smaller ones like Labor/Memorial day since they were quiet too. Almost $100/hour is pretty drat nice for a short web browsing shift lol

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
My company just sent out a phishing email pretending to be a holiday eCard :rolleyes:

It says you've received an ecard from <CEO's first name, last initial> and tries to get you to click a link to 123-greeting-cards.com. If you mouse over any of the links they're all stuff like 'do.not.click.on.this.link.whatever.net/gianttrackinghash' but still, leave people alone for the loving holidays :argh:

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
So you clicked it, right?

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Killswitch posted:

My boss told me our subscription to some security service includes automated fake phishing emails. He gets a report every month showing which employees click them, who watches the automated training videos, etc.

Of course I click all the phishing emails and none of the training videos.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Sometimes I just click the real spam emails just to try and gently caress my computer up.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

pumped up for school posted:

My boss told me our subscription to some security service includes automated fake phishing emails. He gets a report every month showing which employees click them, who watches the automated training videos, etc.

Of course I click all the phishing emails and none of the training videos.

They sent us out a fake phishing email a couple weeks ago that was set up to look like an official notice from the higher-ups about additional holiday time off/calendar changes. If you clicked on the link set up to look like a PDF pointing to our official site, or didn't follow the procedure (forwarding the email to IT in a specific way) then you got flagged for retraining.

So the incentive to doing everything like you're supposed to was missing out on 2-3 hours of paid on-the-clock training instead of normal duties lol

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Killswitch posted:

DID NOT :mad: I guess if making all your employees suspicious and distrustful of every message they get was the goal, then good job. Though now that I've typed that out, it does sound like a pretty good idea...

Every so often we get a 🎣 Phishing Report 🎣 that shows us how many fake emails we've clicked, as well as how many we've reported. This year it showed me at 2 clicks and 0 reports. One of those clicks was me being dumb so I'll cop to that, really don't remember the 2nd one. Someone in this or a similar thread said they started reporting every external email they got as Suspicious and HR got mad at them for spamming reports :hehe:

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Ah yes I recall when my boss got in the poo poo for clicking those and then told me it was my job to tell her if they were "safe"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Pyrtanis posted:

Ah yes I recall when my boss got in the poo poo for clicking those and then told me it was my job to tell her if they were "safe"

Definitely a good opportunity to scam a bunch of money under the guise of 'internal security assessment' if you get caught.

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

My company once hired a 3rd party firm to create some corporate fluff training for everyone. It was never mentioned in any formal communications, then one day everyone gets an extremely poorly written email with a link to an external domain for some training no one had ever heard about.

The security people had the audacity to scold us for reporting this instead of being happy there was so much compliance in what looked like an obvious phishing scam.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

gwarm01 posted:

My company once hired a 3rd party firm to create some corporate fluff training for everyone. It was never mentioned in any formal communications, then one day everyone gets an extremely poorly written email with a link to an external domain for some training no one had ever heard about.

The security people had the audacity to scold us for reporting this instead of being happy there was so much compliance in what looked like an obvious phishing scam.

Even the super duper official bullshit IT infosec company that kevin mitnick is the face for has shittily made, looks-like-a-scam letterheads and emails. My company is paying out the rear end for his stuff and it’s extremely lovely advice.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Whenever there is a new policy in place I don't want to do I report it as phishing then ignore it because if it was important theyd correct me.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Barudak posted:

Whenever there is a new policy in place I don't want to do I report it as phishing then ignore it because if it was important theyd correct me.

Me whenever I get an e-mail about test piloting something.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's the smallest things that are the most annoying.

We started to use ipads a while ago for a bunch of stuff and they have a bunch of annoying issues. The worst ones stems from whenever software updates come from Apple.

We're not allowed to accept it until IT makes sure all our poo poo is going to continue working. That's not the bad part on its own because it does make sense. The problem is that the update notification randomly pops up a dozen times a day when you're trying to do poo poo and it steals focus from your tasks and stops you from doing anything until you tell it to gently caress off.

And, of course, it takes forever for IT to give us the go-ahead to update. We're currently on week five of "Software Update!"

Every time we've complained and asked them to turn off the notifications we've been told that it has to be this way.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

gwarm01 posted:

This happened to us, and the sketchy third party site required us to input our work login and password. Like you, so many people reported it that the head of IT blasted an email telling us to quit reporting the reporting training website.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Outrail posted:

Definitely a good opportunity to scam a bunch of money under the guise of 'internal security assessment' if you get caught.

Phishing scams aren’t actually real, they’re all emails from IT departments

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Scientastic posted:

Phishing scams aren’t actually real, they’re all emails from IT departments

Unless you're the one running a real phish.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Outrail posted:

Unless you're the one running a real phish.

Happy to prove I’m not a phishing scam, all you have to do is click this link and I’ll also give you my secret bitcoin trading tips and my one weird trick to get a free hum-vee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Lol yeah to access my IT training you have to open an email that has my IT director's name but comes from an algorithmically generated email address and just says click here to complete your training