Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Butternubs posted:

- the matrix was supposed to be cool, this was the opposite of cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
The matrix was never deep enough to warrant an edgy meta parody of itself. They're stylised action movie with cool choreography and some philosophical bs as filler.

This was just lame AND poorly executed for what it was.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If nothing else this movie proves you can have characters literally turn to the screen and say the subtext of the movie and people will still miss it.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Butternubs posted:

Movie was on par with Jupiter ascending.

I'll agree with this because Jupiter Ascending owned as well.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Butternubs posted:

The matrix was never deep enough to warrant an edgy meta parody of itself. They're stylised action movie with cool choreography and some philosophical bs as filler.

Hmm a specific type of film with very little depth doesn't warrant parody.

Yes that makes sense.

CPFortest fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 23, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Matrix one was a movie about fighting conformity and a repressive society. Then for 20 years it festered into being taken all wrong by the wrong people who turned it into an anthem to support hyper conservative ideas about women and a general super orthodox idea of what a badass cool man is.

This movie is looking at that guy and saying "no, you are garbage'. neo is a lovely old man. He is powerless without others. zion can't make strawberries without hanging out with the machines as friends. The ideology of the first movie was wrong. (but not pointless, because this neo can make it right after the first one laid the seeds down, even if it failed in it's own time)

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Just make the trench coat man fight the suit man, PLEASE!

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think it kinda got subsumed by coming off as random lame zombie attack but the swarm thing was one of the biggest parts of the movie. Theme wise. Like in the first movie the biggest threat was some sort of organized quasi-government G man coming to shoot you. In this the biggest enemy was the mob of normal people acting mindlessly.

Like, agents still exist, but the thing coming after you for breaking social norms isn't just the law anymore, it's your neighbor. (which was true before with agents taking over bodies, but is true x1000 now when it's just 'society' itself attacking en mass

Yeah this part seemed tailored for those who didn't get the metaphor of Agents taking over people's bodies in #1, even with the lines about "most of these people are not ready to be unplugged and are so dependent on this system they will fight to defend it" etc. It also seems laser-targeted to make edgelord dorks who like NPC memes mad which is extremely good

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That's why he had zero of his cool demeanor from matrix 2. Because he can change the matrix at will, he chooses to be a boring old man
Neo is now a wife guy/malewife, the perfect culmination of the hero's journey

Butternubs posted:

Neo *really* knows. Or sees the code, my point is, he's not just got a bullet shield, he can change the entire matrix at will.
If you watch the movie it tells you that Neo is not The One-level anymore, he's all hosed up from decades of existential horror/gaslighting/suicidal tendencies plus his botched awakening.
This movie really vindicates the notion that waking up/being The One was never about individual identity. Nu-Smith even says something along the lines of "anyone could've been you".

Butternubs posted:

Okay now you're just trolling, there is no movie that warranted a revisit more than The (devastatingly influential, absurdly coopted) Matrix

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Teeny tiny plot-related thought of little value: in the final fight the analyst certainly seems to be crawling towards his cat Déjà-vu. I wonder if the cat was some kind of reset command. After all, déjà-vu is apparently a symptom of a change in the Matrix code.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

VROOM VROOM posted:

Okay now you're just trolling, there is no movie that warranted a revisit more than The (devastatingly influential, absurdly coopted) Matrix

I don't think throwing a tantrum through the medium of film is the best way to do this.

A lot of people are saying the story is good so there's a high chance I'm just too dumb to "get it" but;

Objectively, nearly every other part of the movie was garbage: Choreography, editing, dialogue, sound, filmography, effects were all poorly executed.

The set/costume design was pretty good.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
My reading is that one of the big drives of the movie was basically justice for the kinda callous offing of Trinity in Revolutions.

But unfortunately this movie paints her as a complete blank, that doesn't demonstrate any of the vulnerability of 'Get up Trinity. Get. Up.' that balanced out her Badass Leather Action Hero persona. Then she becomes god or whatever? With no real character depth or motivation or ideology in the actual substance of the movie, just 'you the bad guys and we the good guys so get hosed lol'.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

Teeny tiny plot-related thought of little value: in the final fight the analyst certainly seems to be crawling towards his cat Déjà-vu. I wonder if the cat was some kind of reset command. After all, déjà-vu is apparently a symptom of a change in the Matrix code.
I kinda preferred to believe that he just really loved his cat.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Nuts and Gum posted:

Remember when they introduce a robot character side kick right out of transformers 2? What the gently caress lmao

Vitamin P posted:

There's a lot of choices made that people are going to unfairly kneejerk hate. Example would be that robot that looks like a metal Disney bird with big blue eyes, which seems dumb as hell until you realise it's Sati in the real world and then suddenly it rules. A program created without a purpose, not quite a human and not quite a machine but with humanity, yeah no poo poo she's going to create something beautiful to be her real world body

there it is

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That's why he had zero of his cool demeanor from matrix 2. Because he can change the matrix at will, he chooses to be a boring old man

The weird detail of the matrix presenting people as different to how they actually are is obviously red meat to the trans-matrix-reading crowd but it would have maybe been more interesting if Neo had been actually unattractive.

Also Bugs having her awakening from that moment of identitarian fluidity, and lets be real how many high-rise window cleaners are female, and her meta 'your story meant everything to me' moment Bugs is a transwoman not saying the actress is but the character absolutely is.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Butternubs posted:

I don't think throwing a tantrum through the medium of film is the best way to do this.

A lot of people are saying the story is good so there's a high chance I'm just too dumb to "get it" but;

Objectively, nearly every other part of the movie was garbage: Choreography, editing, dialogue, sound, filmography, effects were all poorly executed.

Lol, objectively.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think it kinda got subsumed by coming off as random lame zombie attack but the swarm thing was one of the biggest parts of the movie. Theme wise. Like in the first movie the biggest threat was some sort of organized quasi-government G man coming to shoot you. In this the biggest enemy was the mob of normal people acting mindlessly.

Like, agents still exist, but the thing coming after you for breaking social norms isn't just the law anymore, it's your neighbor. (which was true before with agents taking over bodies, but is true x1000 now when it's just 'society' itself attacking en mass

I could see the swarm not being as cool as agents, but here's my take on them (which agrees with yours I think):
In the algorithm driven social world, the swarm is essentially downvotes/review bombs. Pop-culture is dictated by the algorithm, and if you go against pop culture views/algorithm, the masses will come and downvote/dislike you out of existence. Neo and Trinity trying to make an original, heart-felt sequel is against the expectations so gets mass disliked. Or even the new crew with their crazy style and various sexuality are targeted by the swarm for mass dislikes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

I thought Deja Vu was connected to his bullet time ability TBH, since it's actually a matter of controlling time since he could also rewind Neo. If he'd gotten to it he could have just rewound the scene basically.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Is there any reason why Niobe was the only one who had aged for what looked like 40 years while everyone else aged about 20?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Rabelais D posted:

Is there any reason why Niobe was the only one who had aged for what looked like 40 years while everyone else aged about 20?

60 years have passed since Revolutions, and the machines literally rebuilt Neo and Trinity over time, keeping them young-ish.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rabelais D posted:

They said that closer to 60 years passed in the real world. Neo and Trinity were completely 100% for real dead and they spent time recreating and maintaining their bodies so they effectively aged slower.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rabelais D posted:

She aged in the real world. Trinity and Neo were purposely revived/kept in the matrix as the primary power sources so their aging was slowed. Sati aged but she’s also a program so she can probably play around with that same as the Merovingian and the other programs basically living throughout multiple matrix redivisions. I don’t recall anyone else from the original trilogy showing up. Roland (the other captain from the sequels) was referenced but that’s it, I think.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Late in the movie, I wondered how they were going to resolve Trinity already having a family in the Matrix, and got a bit of whiplash when the answer was just "Eh, gently caress those guys."

The "Swarm Mode" thing was, despite being explained, not explained well enough. It seemed like the Analyst was just doing a cheaper (both in-universe and film budget-wise) version of taking over living people in the Matrix, like the agents already do. Just making them into a swarm of human-grade zombies took less resources than converting them fully into an instance of a super-powered agent. Or maybe every "human" in the swarms were just programs all along? The movie was already telling us that programs are people too, so that difference shouldn't matter, according to the movie's own rules. Trinity starts to go back with her family and then... turns around and abandons her children for Neo without even a goodbye, which was pretty brutal. Note that I am fully willing to believe I missed something that made this clearer.

The part that confuses me most is that I agree with pretty much every criticism anyone has made... but somehow, I still enjoyed it. I genuinely can't tell if I thought the movie was "good", or if I thought it was "so bad it comes around to being good again," which is a weird distinction to not be able to make. Either way, I was entertained enough to keep watching.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 24, 2021

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Robot Hobo posted:

Late in the movie, I wondered how they were going to resolve Trinity already having a family in the Matrix, and got a bit of whiplash when the answer was just "Eh, gently caress those guys."

The "Swarm Mode" thing was, despite being explained, not explained well enough. It seemed like the Analyst was just doing a cheaper (both in-universe and film budget-wise) version of taking over living people in the Matrix, like the agents already do. Just making them into a swarm of human-grade zombies took less resources than converting them fully into an instance of a super-powered agent. Or maybe every "human" in the swarms were just programs all along? The movie was already telling us that programs are people too, so that difference shouldn't matter, according to the movie's own rules. Trinity starts to go back with her family and then... turns around and abandons her children for Neo without even a goodbye, which was pretty brutal. Note that I am fully willing to believe I missed something that made this clearer.

The part that confuses me most is that I agree with pretty much every criticism anyone has made... but somehow, I still enjoyed it. I genuinely can't tell if I thought the movie was "good", or if I thought it was "so bad it comes around to being good again."

I get the feeling there was some draft of this story where the Analyst's matrix had exactly two humans in it- Neo and Trinity and thusly swarm mode makes sense as it's just repurposing existing programs, and something changed, but obviously the action scenes couldn't change.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Butternubs posted:

I think if you're still working through the definition of "objectively" then yeah, you may want to start with Spies in Disguise before you try the Matrix movie, yeah.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Architect watching The Matrix Resurrections and getting mad that it says his matrix was bad: "Ergo, this work is objectively wrong in all facets of logic."

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I had fun watching Resurrections, more than I thought I would. It was fine but an unnecessary sequel. Loved the zombie/bot bombs stuff and the self-referential/meta aspect was the best part imo. Plus it's always good to see Keanu

The original Matrix is still very good, but I prefer Dark City (fun fact: some of the DC sets were used in The Matrix)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think if you're still working through the definition of "objectively" then yeah, you may want to start with Spies in Disguise before you try the Matrix movie, yeah.

:drat:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Panzeh posted:

I get the feeling there was some draft of this story where the Analyst's matrix had exactly two humans in it- Neo and Trinity and thusly swarm mode makes sense as it's just repurposing existing programs, and something changed, but obviously the action scenes couldn't change.
I definitely got the feeling there was less consideration for the normies living inside the Matrix and the explanation for any and all collateral damage was "it's OK to slaughter people in a mass shooting because they all happen to be soulless NPCs" which is, uh, an interesting stance for a movie supposedly reclaiming the red pill from sociopaths.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Introducing literal NPC human beings to the matrix doesn't do anything to help the idea that it's not ok to kill anyone who's not enlightened by waking up to the matrix.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Linguica posted:

I definitely got the feeling there was less consideration for the normies living inside the Matrix and the explanation for any and all collateral damage was "it's OK to slaughter people in a mass shooting because they all happen to be soulless NPCs" which is, uh, an interesting stance for a movie supposedly reclaiming the red pill from sociopaths.

Aren't the ones that swarm straight up bots? Like, there are a bunch of NPCs peppered in with the humans that are there (like the dude who dives out the window was a bot and the lady he was in bed with who screamed was a person). If anything that kinda fixes one of the complaints some people had about the originally trilogy casually killing off people the Agents take over.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I liked this one but suspect a LOT of people will disagree with me. It was a deeply personal work with layers upon layers of subtext that really tried to do something new and I respect that even if it was a bit awkward in places.

Linguica posted:

The idea seems to be that anybody in society still plugged into the matrix (read: normies still buying conservative propaganda) can be turned against you by the system in a whim. It’s less that the writers didn’t think about the consequences of this but are outright swaying that you should fight back anyways despite them being victims you are ultimately trying to free.

E: And they’re correct. :colbert:

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 24, 2021

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

LesterGroans posted:

Aren't the ones that swarm straight up bots? Like, there are a bunch of NPCs peppered in with the humans that are there (like the dude who dives out the window was a bot and the lady he was in bed with who screamed was a person). If anything that kinda fixes one of the complaints some people had about the originally trilogy casually killing off people the Agents take over.
The fact that a bunch of viewers, goons or otherwise, can’t definitively say one way or the other is a failing of the film.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The movie just doesn't have much interest in the average joe. It's mainly concerned about the plight of lana wachowski personally, only worth low 9 figures and sadly not having enough power (have to listen to notes from stupid warner people, ugh 🙄)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Its consistent with the other films. They never got into the morality of killing individuals used by the matrix. First one had them blasting police away. I guess everyone that got turned into a Smith (so everyone) got reverted back at least. So maybe there's some handwaving?

For the new one, the bots or swarm are just anonymous downvoters. But even if they are programs (bots as we know them), then in universe this isnt much different than killing a human or machine since they are all equivalent. See IO.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The movie claims that peppered among the civilian population now are utterly convincing "bots", which are computer simulations pretending to be human until the moment they try to kill you, and because of this it's OK to kill them, and every civilian the good guys murder happen to be one of these soulless NPCs so they aren't actually killing real people. Very convenient for everyone involved!

Linguica fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 24, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
A tremendous number of the non-main character people in the movie are cops so gently caress em. And the bots jumping and splatting into code blobs make it clear they aren't really human. Trinity's Matrix family is likely also bots because otherwise they would have reacted to walking into a room with a billion cops in it (even if they're white).

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Robot Hobo posted:

I think there clearly was sci-fi mind control happening in swarm mode. Their eyes glow and whatever.

But I think the thing with original matrix is everyone basically lived their small unhappy lives, crushed in a bleak but okay existance it took someone special like neo to start to see something was wrong. Begin to see behind the curtain and say "something is wrong with the world"

In the new matrix I think a big concept is it's not like that anymore. It's a world everyone constantly sees something is wrong with the world. In fact, they hit new levels of efficacy by having everyone stressed and discontent at all times.

Like now, it's a world everyone knows is not right, and everyone could change it. If a robot worked with a human they could make a strawberry. But no one ever would. neo is kept just far enough from trinity. Everyone is kept exactly connected to each other just enough through zucker gently caress face book and wiki piss and poo poo but never quite fully. And a major theme is no one will ever take the step to connect, they all want whats on the other side but could never leave the safety of what they have to take it.

I think clearly swam mode is some sci-fi bezerker mode where they aren't under their own control, but I also think it's "what they want". It is people giving their life to protect the system that they hate, but is one they would never want seen destroyed.

I'm going to be a loser dork and quote some dumb speech about cereal from welcome to nightvale:

quote:

Once, there was a farmer who lived at the edge of a forest, and she worked her fields. She would look at the forest with longing, because it seemed to her that her life was built only of routines and chores, and that these were the walls that boxed her in. And that by monopolizing her days, these routines were killing her. They were killing her in the sense that they were taking her entire life away from her, and she felt that if she ever got the nerve, one Kellogg’s day evening, she would run into the forest. Maybe it would be scary in there, probably dangerous. She would be less comfortable than she was on the farm, but she would also be truly herself. It was all waiting for her in the forest. She never ran into it. Later, she died while working one of her fields. This story doesn’t matter.

Like they are all the farmer yearning to finally get together and make strawberries with each other instead of yelling on twitter. I think swarm mode is less like an agent and more like... if someone attacked the farmer's house in that story, she would probably fight with all her strength to protect it, even if she got hurt or died doing so, fighting for a life she resented and hated even as she knew the way out.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Maybe Lana Wachowski should have started with a blog post before trying to make a movie.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Shiroc posted:

A tremendous number of the non-main character people in the movie are cops so gently caress em. And the bots jumping and splatting into code blobs make it clear they aren't really human. Trinity's Matrix family is likely also bots because otherwise they would have reacted to walking into a room with a billion cops in it (even if they're white).

They showed a bunch of people reacting in horror as these bots threw themselves out of windows and the like, which should heavily imply they're Matrixed humans who swarm mode doesn't affect.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I really enjoyed this movie. I thought the first part where they played with Neo's mind games was pretty well done. The latter half was just a tad weaker but I really appreciated that there was love for the characters and they gave a happy ending. I also enjoyed Lana spelling it out for everyone why she made this one and how it got meta. I do admit seeing people launch themselves out the window like bombs was a serious horror and yet hilarious at the same time. My only wish was I could get Laurence Fishbourne and Hugo Weaving as cameos at least. I loved the concept of what they did with Morpheus and I did like the actor, felt he was charismatic.

This was a good movie. They introduced a touch of new elements, hit some original nostalgia notes, and I just got a warm fuzzy out of everything I experienced between Neo and Trinity.

The actor that played Morpheus was really charismatic, I'd love to see him in other movies and be able to showcase it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Pirate Jet posted:

They showed a bunch of people reacting in horror as these bots threw themselves out of windows and the like, which should heavily imply they're Matrixed humans who swarm mode doesn't affect.
So it's merely that hundreds or thousands of bluepills were in love with / married to evil computer programs, and then these undercover terrorist programs violently committed mass suicide attacks in a coordinated 9/11 style catastrophe to try and kill Neo and Trinity, and this is better somehow (?!?)

Linguica fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 24, 2021