Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CuriousSymptoms posted:

If Rand turns to the Dark Side, all Min's visions are null and void.

All y'all are like a bunch of those grumpy squeaky rainforest frogs, all puffed up and yelling at the wind right now. I think they did a pretty good job with an adaptation in difficult circumstances. It was never going to be exactly the same as the books, and I will quite happily concede changes for rule of cool.

I can't imagine Min was meant to be thinking 'you know how all my visions come true? maybe the Pattern will unravel so nevermind.' I think it was just bad writing.

I think a perfect adaptation was clearly impossible, but I don't think this is the best possible adaptation. Amazon did the show dirty with an eight episode season (which I imagine even they regret now that it's such a huge hit for them), and imo the writers are probably changing more than they absolutely had to. And honestly even if it is the best adaptation we could get, that doesn't mean it has to be good--maybe everyone who said the books were unadaptable was just right. I don't think it's quite that dire, but I have a hard time saying it's very good right now.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tired: seeding the season with prophecies and ominous portentous foretellings about what will happen in the finale, and then having them come true in a way that you weren't expecting

Wired: seeding the season with prophecies and ominous portentous foretellings about what will happen in the finale, and then just going "lol. lmao"

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I don't feel super great about this show after this season, but I'll give it this, it's about 3000x better than the Foundation series.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Why did they act/talk like the yin-yang symbol on the floor (the first time we’ve seen the whole thing intact this whole season) was “the Eye”?

Why was LTT wearing a “dragon” pin that looked like a weird macaroni art Christmas ornament version of the Mortal Kombat logo instead of the AS symbol?

How have they made it this far without talking about the symbols and what they mean, even after showing and teasing them all season?

I thought that was the pin the ashaman "earn" in the black tower or whatever. But yea I didn't think that would have been a thing back then.

Could just meant as a fun little Easter egg for readers that ends up triggering them instead

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Sab669 posted:

I thought that was the pin the ashaman "earn" in the black tower or whatever. But yea I didn't think that would have been a thing back then.

Could just meant as a fun little Easter egg for readers that ends up triggering them instead

I mean the Dragon is literally LTT's personal symbol. He has a banner and everything. Why is a dragon shaped lapel decoration odd?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Probably LTT doesn't consider himself to be a common Aes Sedai but something more.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Why was LTT the Dragon Reborn as well? Shouldn't he just be the Dragon.

Also didn't Ishamial say "LTT and his 99 companions" during his temptation of Rand? Why the removal of one companion? What is the point of that?"

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Also didn't Ishamial say "LTT and his 99 companions" during his temptation of Rand? Why the removal of one companion? What is the point of that?"

Also why is Latra the Tamyrlin now? I assume these aren't characters we'll be seeing a whole lot, so making small changes like these just because, even if they ultimately don't matter much, shows a bigger disregard for the source material imo.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Possible Elaida news from an interview with Judkins about season 2

Rafe Judkins posted:

I think that there are two characters whose names both start with ‘El’ that I am very excited for audiences to meet in season 2 that they might have been wanting to see in season 1. And one of them we’ve already announced I think

https://decider.com/2021/12/24/the-wheel-of-time-season-2-on-amazon-prime-video-release-date-elayne-elaida-casting/

Elayne was announced at New York Comic Con. I suppose there's another "El" character in Elyas :shrug:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Why was LTT the Dragon Reborn as well? Shouldn't he just be the Dragon

Where is the beginning or end on a wheel? Why does anyone think LTT is the first dragon? Or is he merely the only one they have records of? Rand has Herid Fel conversations in Lord of Chaos dealing with this.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I’m betting on Elyas. They need someone to explain Perrin’s poo poo and Liandrin can do Elaida’s part.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Hexel posted:

Where is the beginning or end on a wheel? Why does anyone think LTT is the first dragon? Or is he merely the only one they have records of? Rand has Herid Fel conversations in Lord of Chaos dealing with this.

It's a title he earned during the Age of Legends. Of course there were Dragons in previous turnings, but nobody should remember them, and it's just another idiotic change for the show because either they don't understand the series or assume people watching won't.

Edit: Maybe this explains why the season fell off? mistborn is Brandon Sanderson.

mistborn
72 points ·
5 days ago

I'm trying, but it's been a tough few weeks for finding time for that, and the further from them we get the less likely I am to comment.

In addition, I had a lot less influence over the latter episodes than I did over the early episodes.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 25, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Gully Foyle posted:

I mean the Dragon is literally LTT's personal symbol. He has a banner and everything. Why is a dragon shaped lapel decoration odd?

Fair point lol.

Does Rand wear a pin? If not that's why it struck me as odd. Seemed like a thing for TDR's followers to do, not for him himself

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 25, 2021

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Fair point lol.

Does Rand wear a pin? If not that's why it struck me as odd. Seemed like a thing for TDR's followers to do, not for him himself

Well Rand does have the dragon tattoos.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gully Foyle posted:

I guess, but one of the biggest and most iconic things about the EotW prologue was the Aes Sedai yin-yang pin he was wearing during the whole poo poo-going-down time. If they were going to make a big deal about his pin during the show's equivalent flashback scene that establishes the AoL, it's super weird to not use that symbol but something else, especially since that very symbol plays an important part in the rest of the episode and they explain it wrong

It's just baffling. Either I'm too stupid to understand what they're trying to pull off or

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sinteres posted:

Well Rand does have the dragon tattoos.

Tattoos are cool, lapel pins aren't :colbert:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Honestly I'm starting to doubt if they'll even have saidar and saidin as distinct things in the show, and think the little shorts might be unrelated to show canon/have different production timelines. Ishamael telling Rand how to channel didn't sound much like saidin.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Nitrousoxide posted:

Actually the removal of 14 companions, The Hundred Companions wasn't entirely accurate, which just makes it weirder that they did make that change, to include Lews Therin in the count of Companions, and make it a literally accurate count.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I cannot fathom thinking any of those details matter at all.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

silvergoose posted:

So why change them? Like I said in an earlier post, a lot of these are small changes that don't matter a whole lot, but it shows a fundamental lack of either care or understanding for the source material, which doesn't seem promising.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Sinteres posted:

So why change them? Like I said in an earlier post, a lot of these are small changes that don't matter a whole lot, but it shows a fundamental lack of either care or understanding for the source material, which doesn't seem promising.

Or they're doing it for specific reasons unknown to us. From interviews I've seen, the showrunner absolutely cares and understands the books.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

silvergoose posted:

I mean I don’t really care about the 100 companions. Just seems like a weird arbitrary change that makes the line more awkward. What sounds better, LTT and his 100 companions or LTT and his 99 companions. Just like how you will round up prices to the nearest dollar, you’d just round that up.

Only reason I could see for the change is them wanting the sa’angreal which was said to be able to let you channel 100 more of the one power to literally exactly equal the amount of the 100 companions. This still isn’t right though since it’s not like the average power of the 100 companions is equal to LTT/Rand. It’d obviously be less since LTT was the most powerful channeler.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Didn't seem awkward to me.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Sinteres posted:

Honestly I'm starting to doubt if they'll even have saidar and saidin as distinct things in the show, and think the little shorts might be unrelated to show canon/have different production timelines. Ishamael telling Rand how to channel didn't sound much like saidin.

They specifically used the word "saidin" in this episode. It was during the AoL so if you just ignored everything they said to read subtitles I guess I could understand. They used a bunch of worlds we knew from the show and books.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The way Ishamial described how to channel was more like Saidin however.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Neither of those sound awkward :shrug: And if you include LTT in the head count with his battle buddies then it's an even 100

Is 101 Dalmatians a weird movie title? Should it have been a flat 100? Weird thing to change I guess, yea, but an even weirder thing to get hung up on IMO. just like the changes to the Oath Rod and the Waygate not being in a Stedding; it matters not :shrug:

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Gully Foyle posted:

Take a close look at the pin he has in the show. The way it is made, it’s outline is the shape of the dragon’s fang symbol. That has to be 100% intentional on the part of the production designers.

Related: I wasn’t in the thread when the episode came out, but did we discuss that in the episode where Nynaeve kills the trolloc in the pool, the blood that rises to the surface forms the shape of the dragons fang? Just noticed it on rewatch. I’m guessing that shape has been in the background in a few other instances in the show.

Here is a stupid pic of it I found showing the outline.

tylertfb fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 25, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My favorite thing about those x-ray character bios is how most of them (including LTT) say “Talent: Channeling”

Lol I’m gonna go to college and major in “doing homework”

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

tylertfb posted:

Take a close look at the pin he has in the show. The way it is made, it’s outline is the shape of the dragon’s fang symbol. That has to be 100% intentional on the part of the production designers.

Related: I wasn’t in the thread when the episode came out, but did we discuss that in the episode where Nynaeve kills the trolloc in the pool, the blood that rises to the surface forms the shape of the dragons fang? Just noticed it on rewatch. I’m guessing that shape has been in the background in a few other instances in the show.

Here is a stupid pic of it I found showing the outline.

When Lan finds all the corpses in Ep1 they're arranged in a Fang, and yea Nynaeve in the pool, and Suian's flash back. And it was on the floor in the eye. I think that's all of its appearances.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
99 is one less character than 100, this is important for tweets. I honestly think that is the reason they changed it.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Sab669 posted:

When Lan finds all the corpses in Ep1 they're arranged in a Fang, and yea Nynaeve in the pool, and Suian's flash back. And it was on the floor in the eye. I think that's all of its appearances.

The floor in the Eye has the full yinyang I think

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Skyl3lazer posted:

The floor in the Eye has the full yinyang I think

Yes it does, and Rand refers to the symbol as "the Eye" which is :psyduck:

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Nitrousoxide posted:

The way Ishamial described how to channel was more like Saidin however.

Sounded like the flame and the void to me, at least at the beginning.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

I think 7 was a lot worse than 8. The whole Dragon reveal was really awful and not earned at all.

There's no way they could have made Rand do enough evil and terrible things to earn being the dragon in one season.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
the gangtag will link back to this thread
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up

Woot.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Finally getting around to watching. Maybe I'm crazy but I absolutely do not remember in the books anyone predicting that sealing the dark one would taint saidin prior to creating the seals. Also in his time I thought LTT was the dragon, not the dragon reborn

Intruder fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 25, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea that wasn't how I remembered the EOTW prelude at all.

I just started the audio book for it since the show started and for some reason it didn't include the prelude :(

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Yea that wasn't how I remembered the EOTW prelude at all.

I just started the audio book for it since the show started and for some reason it didn't include the prelude :(

It’s not. EotW started with Ishy taunting LTT over family bodies after the sealing. Cold Open I think comes from supplemental material not even in the books.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Intruder posted:

Finally getting around to watching. Maybe I'm crazy but I absolutely do not remember in the books anyone predicting that sealing the dark one would taint saidin prior to creating the seals. Also in his time I thought LTT was the dragon, not the dragon reborn

I feel like that's a product of them overthinking/overcorrecting some of the gender stuff from the books. Like there were two sides of the argument before, 'LTT's plan was absolutely necessary and might have succeeded without the backlash if those drat women hadn't been so stubborn' vs 'those crazy men went off half cocked with a reckless plan and saidar would have been tainted too if the women had gone,' and the showrunners basically just had Latra :smug: by predicting what would happen, while also making her rather than LTT Tamyrlin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Intruder posted:

Finally getting around to watching. Maybe I'm crazy but I absolutely do not remember in the books anyone predicting that sealing the dark one would taint saidin prior to creating the seals.

They just said that they wanted to build a cage around the bore, until a safe method of actually sealing the bore was found. I don't think they ever go into why exactly they think that LTT's method was unsafe.