Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Getting back into looking at dogs, volunteered at a walk yesterday and got to meet a bunch of dogs in the local kennel. We're actually thinking about one of the half-greyhound puppies (9 months) they had - very cute and friendly, relatively calm, and seeming very trainable, already knowing several little tricks. If we go this route we're thinking they might actually make a good hiking dog.

(Phone was dead so only have the pictures from the kennel, but he is a very good pup)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Lhet posted:

Getting back into looking at dogs, volunteered at a walk yesterday and got to meet a bunch of dogs in the local kennel. We're actually thinking about one of the half-greyhound puppies (9 months) they had - very cute and friendly, relatively calm, and seeming very trainable, already knowing several little tricks. If we go this route we're thinking they might actually make a good hiking dog.

(Phone was dead so only have the pictures from the kennel, but he is a very good pup)

He(?) is a cutie!

Not sure how non-racers differ, but race greyhounds mature slower due to the environment they are raised in so they can still be pretty puppyish for a while.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
We are dog sitting this girl over the holidays. Her name is Lexi.

Here she is sleeping next to Jody:

And a photo of all three

We have only gotten Lexi and Jody mixed up a handful of times :)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lmfao

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

I bought my girlfriend that but on a t-shirt

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Teedo is Good at Bed

He is also Good at Sit

And Very Handsome

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

He is also Good at Sit

i love this goober :allears:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

i love this goober :allears:

:same:

He is very sweet and affectionate and Is Trying Really Hard but has many feelings

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Teedo ftw

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Katie & Lucy received Christmas cookies from the neighbors

Katie filed a formal complaint regarding unequal distribution of treats with regards to body mass. Lucy countersued, alleging forceful loss of native habitat by an invasive species (including, but not limited to, the coveted Bed By The Hot Air Vent). Both sides make compelling cases and it’s still being worked out in the courts…

david_a fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 25, 2021

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

david_a posted:

Katie & Lucy received Christmas cookies from the neighbors

Katie filed a formal complaint regarding unequal distribution of treats with regards to body mass. Lucy countersued, alleging forceful loss of native habitat by an invasive species (including, but not limited to, the coveted Bed By The Hot Air Vent). Both sides make compelling cases and it’s still being worked out in the courts…

Some greats dogs!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Seems like if everything goes to plan we'll have the dog in about 2 weeks. From your experience, what size bed should we get for her? I'm looking at beds on Amazon that look like they should be good for it to spread out on (~36x27 inches), and have some raised areas for the head to rest on. Also thinking that raised food / water bowls is better for a taller dog like a greyhound?

Ton of stuff to buy, collars, leashes, toys, coat etc. Exciting! What kind of leashes / collars do you all prefer?

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 25, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

who are you getting the greyhound from? they should have mentioned that you have to use a martingale one. yes raised bowl, yes 27x36 is fine

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MrOnBicycle posted:

Seems like if everything goes to plan we'll have the dog in about 2 weeks. From your experience, what size bed should we get for her? I'm looking at beds on Amazon that look like they should be good for it to spread out on (~36x27 inches), and have some raised areas for the head to rest on. Also thinking that raised food / water bowls is better for a taller dog like a greyhound?

Ton of stuff to buy, collars, leashes, toys, coat etc. Exciting! What kind of leashes / collars do you all prefer?

All beds are simultaneously too big and too small for a greyhound. They can curl into a tiny ball and spread out for acres. You probably want multiple beds for different spots in the home unless you want to surrender all your furniture to them.

Here is Katie somewhat spread out on her new bed:

It’s pretty big but I bet she’ll enjoy roaching on it in the summer. A pro tip is to cover it with a cheap duvet cover since that’s about 1000% easier to clean.

And here she is in micro-mode:

Greyhounds can be picky about beds though! Early on I got her a fancy memory foam mattress but she woke me up in the middle of the night to complain about it so I had to switch to her old bed.

I use raised bowls but it’s a little controversial whether it prevents or exacerbates bloat. Katie also has a slow feeder bowl though because otherwise she eats so fast she throws up.

Katie has this leash (the extra handle is nice). For collars make sure you get a Martingale because they can slide their heads out of normal collars. Some people like harnesses instead (Julius is the only brand I’ve seen people use).

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I’m a fan of harnesses because I think long leashes are a great way to train recall and help them get over freezes, and long leashes + collars are an obvious recipe for disaster

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Seconding harnesses, not just for hounds but especially for hounds

We use a martingale but that's because our old harness doesn't fit Teedo

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

keep in mind that if your dog ever pees on the bed, you basically will need to replace it as urine will soak through most materials. that's why I splurged on a really nice one for Abby at the end of her life that had a tarp liner

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
We let the dogs sleep in the bed and we've started using waterproof mattress covers. The new ones have been surprisingly nice, they have a texture like cloth but worked great the last time Teedo had a seizure

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh, poor Teedo! :(

Also, I hope all your hounds have been spoilt for Christmas, this year! :D

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Thanks for the input! The dog comes from a rescue, and we will be picking her up as soon as she arrives with papers etc. I had no idea those collars were named Martingale. I was looking at those types of collars already, but more out of a "not a choker" kind of way. I decided to buy one sight unseen just in case the collar the dog comes with isn't one as I don't want to risk her slipping out of it and for some reason (maybe because these types of dogs are pretty rare in Sweden) Martingale collars aren't that readily available here.
I also got one of the beds that looked nice and didn't cost much just in case she hates it. I think I'll get some cheap basics and see what works and doesn't work before buying the expensive long term stuff.

So hopefully if all goes well this beauty will be here soon. :)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Oh my god what a gorgeous princess :swoon:

Yeah you need a martingale collar or a harness because their heads are the same size as their necks or smaller, and they'll slip out of normal collars.

As for beds, anything soft and fluffy or padded is likely to be claimed if you're not careful . They've got lots of bones close to the surface of their thin skin and so need lots of extra padding to be comfortable

Also they're hella dramatic

https://youtu.be/Peu_yVrb8HQ

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MrOnBicycle posted:

Thanks for the input! The dog comes from a rescue, and we will be picking her up as soon as she arrives with papers etc. I had no idea those collars were named Martingale. I was looking at those types of collars already, but more out of a "not a choker" kind of way. I decided to buy one sight unseen just in case the collar the dog comes with isn't one as I don't want to risk her slipping out of it and for some reason (maybe because these types of dogs are pretty rare in Sweden) Martingale collars aren't that readily available here.
I also got one of the beds that looked nice and didn't cost much just in case she hates it. I think I'll get some cheap basics and see what works and doesn't work before buying the expensive long term stuff.

So hopefully if all goes well this beauty will be here soon. :)

I’m originally from Sweden and yeah I’ve heard of one couple owning greyhounds there but I never saw one. For everyone else’s benefit, greyhounds are rare enough in Sweden that the breed name isn’t even translated from English which makes it a bit awkward to say (a literal translation would be gråhund). Is the dog originally from the UK?

If you haven’t read any greyhound specific books I would get one ASAP. They have some quirks compared to other breeds especially when it comes to medical stuff; you may have to educate your vet. Is your dog an ex-racer? That also comes with some behavioral stuff you should know about…

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

DarkHorse posted:

Oh my god what a gorgeous princess :swoon:

Yeah you need a martingale collar or a harness because their heads are the same size as their necks or smaller, and they'll slip out of normal collars.

As for beds, anything soft and fluffy or padded is likely to be claimed if you're not careful . They've got lots of bones close to the surface of their thin skin and so need lots of extra padding to be comfortable

Also they're hella dramatic

https://youtu.be/Peu_yVrb8HQ

david_a posted:

I’m originally from Sweden and yeah I’ve heard of one couple owning greyhounds there but I never saw one. For everyone else’s benefit, greyhounds are rare enough in Sweden that the breed name isn’t even translated from English which makes it a bit awkward to say (a literal translation would be gråhund). Is the dog originally from the UK?

If you haven’t read any greyhound specific books I would get one ASAP. They have some quirks compared to other breeds especially when it comes to medical stuff; you may have to educate your vet. Is your dog an ex-racer? That also comes with some behavioral stuff you should know about…

Yeah she's lovely. They sent us a video as well of one of the rescue people (I guess) petting her and she seems very timid and calm, but with a hint of silliness thrown in. Teedo is lovely and we absolutely love the Greyhound silliness.

It's mainly been my wife handling the communication as it's a co-worker of hers that does the dog rescue thing part time. They rescue dogs from all over Sweden, but also from Romania and other places in Europe. This dog is from Romania and is not an ex race dog but if I understand it correctly the family that owned the dog wanted it for hunting but found that it didn't have the prey drive they wanted and was too timid. The rescue does all the health checkups and the dog will be insured through them until we decide on final adoption. At the start we will be "hosts" and just take care of the dog and see how it works out. But I have a feeling it'll be super hard to resist her when she gets here, but it's also nice to have options. All the rescue wants is that the dogs go to good homes. :)

VVVV: Yeah it's nice and I also like not getting a puppy. I mean not only is it much, much, much cheaper but also nice to help a dog. I keep looking at the photos of her all day, so I'm preparing for a foster-fail! Perfect time for this as well as I've taken a few months off work as I'm finally with 8 years of getting my medical license. Need the break, and this lovely dog is perfect. :3:

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 26, 2021

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Fostering is the ideal way to get introduced to a dog you might want to eventually adopt! Doing it without having intended to is even called "foster-fail" here :3:

The thing that been consistent for me is it takes about three days for them to get over moving in, three weeks to settle into life in your new home, and three months for their true personality to come out. Teedo was absolutely shy and timid at first (comparatively...) but he's a total diva now

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I sits

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Double posting to share this:

Woke up like this.

Had an incident on the morning walk. There's a nearby school field that we pass every morning that is partially fenced. Some neighbors like to let their dogs run off leash there. Well this morning they rushed at the fence while we were passing and Watson lost his poo poo, barking and snarling. He tried biting me too for restraining him. Luckily he only got my pants but I was pissed. Also pissed at the neighbors, it's not a dog park and one of their dogs could easily just run around the fence. The bro didn't even look up from his phone at all the commotion.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Aw :( Irresponsible dog owners are a menace :argh:. Several of the dogs in my adoption group have gotten jumped by neighborhood dogs.

Meanwhile, Katie is enjoying the winter break at my parents:

She gets to run around in the goat pasture every day which is super fun and the unseasonably warm weather is just fine by her.

I think on Saturday Katie overdid it a little bit; she ran twice and we also took a long walk. On Sunday she decided after a mile that walking wasn’t fun anymore and progress was glacial, so my mom had to come pick us up :effort: (there was like two miles left on this route, and to get this far we had to go past a nasty blind curve with no shoulder, which I wasn’t eager to redo with Katie acting like this)

Lucy is wondering what the hold up is; she wants to goooooo…..

Also hats off to anybody that regularly walks two dogs. Maybe it would be better if they were similar heights or they behaved the same, but they sure don’t. Lucy pulls like a mule and Katie likes to stop and ponder over things

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Had an appointment scheduled yesterday, but got absolutely snowed in :(
Hoping maybe Wednesday, but we live on a hill and it might still be quite bad.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

NomNomNom posted:

Double posting to share this:

Woke up like this.

Had an incident on the morning walk. There's a nearby school field that we pass every morning that is partially fenced. Some neighbors like to let their dogs run off leash there. Well this morning they rushed at the fence while we were passing and Watson lost his poo poo, barking and snarling. He tried biting me too for restraining him. Luckily he only got my pants but I was pissed. Also pissed at the neighbors, it's not a dog park and one of their dogs could easily just run around the fence. The bro didn't even look up from his phone at all the commotion.

Ugh this sucks, sorry that happened. Hazel is still pretty shaken by the time she got attacked last year by a dog that jumped over its fence. To be fair I’m even still a bit more on edge around barking dogs than I used to be as a result.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

GREAT NEWS!!! God drat I did not want to put her through the hookworm treatments again

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Yay Bailey. I'm so glad hookworm isn't a concern here, it sounds like a massive pain to treat.

In other news, Boudicca's strategy of stopping by crashing into things has finally backfired. About a week ago her one ear started swelling and felt like a water balloon. Went to the vet and turns out she gave herself a hematoma, or as I prefer to call it, proto cauliflower ear.

They had to operate to drain the blood, which is always so scary in an older dog. The good news is that she came home safe and sound.

The bad news

for a week. And daily vet visits to clean out the wound. They can't stitch it together, so it needs to heal naturally. She also has 50 billion stents in the ear, so I wince every time she shakes her head.

They also checked for more sarcomas, and currently she's clear. So yay, old girl is going to stick with us for a long, long time.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yeah greyhounds are probably the most violent shakers I’ve ever seen (I’m sure the long legs flying everywhere help sell it) . I love how they’re so long that you can see the shaking move front-to-back on their bodies.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
We gave up on using cones and just use the muzzle, ours always seemed more comfortable with it

Obviously not an option with an ear injury but it's been handy for foot and abdominal wounds

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Our go-to is always an old XXXL T-shirt for abdominal stuff. In general, neither of the girls is very "licky", so there are a lot of wounds where we can get away with supervision during the day and protection at night.

Boudicca's adjusted to the cone surprisingly well. The first day was terrible because she was still drunk on anesthetic and trying to jump on couches, but she's gotten confident enough to move around as normal. I can't imagine it's comfortable, but she's coping because she's a tank of a dog.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sorry to hear about Boudicca, glad she is doing okay now. how old is she?

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

She's between uh, nine and 12. They don't have her birthdate and the previous owner only had an estimate. We've put her on the lower end of the spectrum due to her high energy and generally how she moves and stuff. That said, she definitely has on old lady face and no teeth, so who knows?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
This is the closest these two have come to snuggling with each other

Lucy’s extra goofy because she’s smart enough to realize that all the packing means I’m leaving today. My mom was sitting on the bed petting them and they didn’t immediately disengage when she got up (Katie usually growls to let Lucy know she doesn’t want her sleeping by her).

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

david_a posted:

This is the closest these two have come to snuggling with each other

Aww, such good pups! :3:

Also, I have a question... would this be classed as a bed fail by Tazo (alongside Opal showing us what a bed success looks like), or would this be classed as two bed successes, by technicality? 🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

there’s a crusader kings board game?