Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Anora posted:

Is the most expensive HG still the full rear end GP03?

It’s a thousand yen more than the Neo Zeong so probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Anora posted:

Is the most expensive HG still the full rear end GP03?

It's that crazy metal RX-78 from a couple of years ago that was $2000 on p-Bandai.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Midjack posted:

It's that crazy metal RX-78 from a couple of years ago that was $2000 on p-Bandai.

Yeah, but if you count p-bandai you also count scalped p-bandai.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What about the Deep Striker?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

What about the Deep Striker?

It's an MG.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

And while we're talking about ludicrously oversized kits, check out this 1/72 Dendrobium.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Finished my MG RX-78-2 Ver 3.0 this morning. Took about a month to paint.

Repainting a little Zaku II G-Frame and then it's on to a custom MG Sazabi!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Philthy posted:

Finished my MG RX-78-2 Ver 3.0 this morning. Took about a month to paint.

Ah, I love the RX-78-2 Gununia. :v:

That paint job looks fantastic.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.goodsmile.info/en/product/12093/MODEROID+Fafner+Mark+Nicht.html

Quite looking forward to this

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anyone get some Christmas gunpla? My brother got me an unopened 2003 1/144 scale Freedom Gundam.

I should buy the Revive kit or the RG to make a comparison.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I got the hello kitty SD zaku, and non gunpla, Buster Tortoise Zoid. (My first one!)

Very excited to build it!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I got the MG of M'Quve's Gouf. I asked my sister to surprise me, and I am surprised.

Looks a fun, striking kit, though.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Not really a Gunpla per se, but I did get the Gallantmon Amplified kit. Great overall kit, but the cape is VERY finnicky and I just kinda left it after getting it somewhat nice looking.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I got the Strike Freedom Full-Burst Mode kit.

My three kids got stuff they were excited for:
Oldest got a Moderoid Strelizia Franxx. Middle son got HG Nightengale and RG Exia. Youngest got HG granddaddy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

koreban posted:

Youngest got HG granddaddy.

Well that hardly narrows it down.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arc Hammer posted:

Anyone get some Christmas gunpla? My brother got me an unopened 2003 1/144 scale Freedom Gundam.

I should buy the Revive kit or the RG to make a comparison.

I have that kit and the RG. And oh BOY is the 2003 HG pretty miserable, even by 2003 kit standards.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Arc Hammer posted:

Well that hardly narrows it down.

He’s 6, so this one. We already did the two entry grade granddaddy’s and he’s been real jealous of his brothers building he bigger kits.

He also recently started watching Build Divers, and he’d have gotten the Earthtree with Fake-v upgrades and the Nu-Zeong, but half of the poo poo didn’t ship from USAGundam, even though I put in the orders in October.

He’ll get those for his birthday or something.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

koreban posted:

He also recently started watching Build Divers, and he’d have gotten the Earthtree with Fake-v upgrades and the Nu-Zeong, but half of the poo poo didn’t ship from USAGundam, even though I put in the orders in October.

He’ll get those for his birthday or something.

I think the Build Divers Rerise stuff has been out of print for a while so it's likely backordered.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Balache404 posted:

Not really a Gunpla per se, but I did get the Gallantmon Amplified kit. Great overall kit, but the cape is VERY finnicky and I just kinda left it after getting it somewhat nice looking.

I'm jealous I keep eyeing those, wargreymon, and hem hawing over the price considering how cheap pokepla is
but they seem much more detailed

put together my first painted gunpla and first one since I was a young teen. I never watched ibo I just chose this because it was very cheap and I wanted something to gently caress up on. next up hg heavyarms

with some bonus idiot who was glad my table was finally clear after a month of that kit hanging out

speaking of I'm going to plug gundampros for mr hobby acrylics they are in stock and ship reasonably quickly instead of waiting around half a month for it to clear customs from taiwan.

as for the kit it was interesting. I don't remember polycaps being there in like 04 and the airbrushing is also something I'm just getting used to (please don't look too closely at the chest plate) but I had a big dumb grin the entire time I was finally able to put it together.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

For my Christmas gun(ish)pla I got Bandai's VF-25 Messiah (Ozma). I wish the rest of the Macross F series weren't so far out of print because I'd like to put together a little shelf squadron.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I got the HG Getter Arc. Also a Diaclone, but that's not a model kit.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I got my first ever Gunpla, an RG Gundam Exia. Haven’t seen the series it’s from, but it's cool!

I told my sister I was considering the hobby when she asked for gift ideas and sent a picture of the RX-78-2 from Target, and mentioned that they require some tools. I wasn’t actually looking for that specific model, just a beginner one. She consulted a friend of hers and got me the Exia and a little tool kit.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 26, 2021

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

I think the Build Divers Rerise stuff has been out of print for a while so it's likely backordered.

Unfortunately it was Barbataurus that screwed me. The BD:RR stuff was in stock. USAGundam wouldn’t split my order or cancel Barbataurus and just ship me the stuff they had on hand.

I chalk it up to holidays and they were probably busy and not wanting to special snowflake an order with everything else going on, it’s just been super frustrating dealing with them.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Dr Christmas posted:

I got my first ever Gunpla, an RG Gundam Exia. Haven’t seen the series it’s from, but it's cool!

I told my sister I was considering the hobby when she asked for gift ideas and sent a picture of the RX-78-2 from Target, and mentioned that they require some tools. I wasn’t actually looking for that specific model, just a beginner one. She consulted a friend of hers and got me the Exia and a little tool kit.

Exia is the first RG I made (got into this pretty recently myself), and it was a really fun build.

For Christmas I got the RG Eva Unit 0, and I'm really excited to put it together!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Got the MG Barbatos from santa. Decided I'm going to get a resin upgrade kit for it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Finally got around to finishing my Aoshima 1/43 Patlabor!

It's... mostly a decent kit. It's got some interesting gimmicks in the engineering as it's feature-complete in terms of stuff you see in the shows (you can raise the cockpit or open the chest at the front, both the leg pods open, and you can mount arm extensions, as I've done for drawing the revolver or the ammo pack in the left leg), but it's a real mixed bag in the functionality. The panels on the chest WILL pop off if you try to play with them, and the Noa Izumi figurine is free-floating inside so it can bounce around a bit. The leg pod mechanism is also weird, because it reads like it's supposed to move mechanically but you need to disassemble it a little and the complex gimmick inside's kinda wasted as a result. Go in knowing what singular pose you want it to have as you build it would be my advice.

Overall I'd recommend it if you want a Patlabor kit. There's also a two-pack of the Command Cars that I've still to knock out, so it's a nice matching-scale set you can set up, and as I understand it they're 1/43 scale as that's THE diorama car scale if you want to get fancy with a diorama or whatever.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
I got the MG Freedom 2.0, MG Kyrios, MG Exia, and RG Eva Unit 01. In hindsight, I should have asked for more shelving.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I've spent most of my evening in a painting/top coat rabbit hole and my god, people have a lot of different ways of going about this.

So my situation is that my partner got me a HG Destroy Mode Banshee Norn. The "gold" plastic (the V fin, the collar armor, and two of the back psychoframes which have large sickers) look like cheese and I wish to just use gold paint over them. I do have the X-12 gold leaf Tamiya paint in the small bottle, and also the Tamiya gold TS-21 spray can. I also picked up the Tamiya Semi-Gloss and clear spray cans for top coating. I am perfectly fine with every other bit of the Banshee besides the gold plastic.

If I wanted to paint those parts, would I use primer, then hand paint or use the spray can, then top coat it, then panel line, and then top coat it again? I have been getting a lot of varying answers about top coating before and after panel lining given all of the Tamiya spray can stuff is purportedly lacquer, the Tamiya accent panel line paint is enamel, and the X-12 is acrylic, and the gundam markers are "???"

Any assistance or clarification from anyone more versed on the top coat/paint situation would be greatly appreciated

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Built another boy!

I mistakenly picked this up thinking it was the Revive version, imagine my surprise when it turned out I was wrong. Seems Bandai are reprinting old kits with the blue logo on the box. It's... not great, and the posability is barely one step above paralysed. The hand doesn't even hold the rifle firmly, it flops about between the fingers! It worked well as a practice run for my nub cleanup technique at least.

Next up is the Jupitive and RX-78 Beyond Global.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

MechaX posted:

I've spent most of my evening in a painting/top coat rabbit hole and my god, people have a lot of different ways of going about this.

So my situation is that my partner got me a HG Destroy Mode Banshee Norn. The "gold" plastic (the V fin, the collar armor, and two of the back psychoframes which have large sickers) look like cheese and I wish to just use gold paint over them. I do have the X-12 gold leaf Tamiya paint in the small bottle, and also the Tamiya gold TS-21 spray can. I also picked up the Tamiya Semi-Gloss and clear spray cans for top coating. I am perfectly fine with every other bit of the Banshee besides the gold plastic.

If I wanted to paint those parts, would I use primer, then hand paint or use the spray can, then top coat it, then panel line, and then top coat it again? I have been getting a lot of varying answers about top coating before and after panel lining given all of the Tamiya spray can stuff is purportedly lacquer, the Tamiya accent panel line paint is enamel, and the X-12 is acrylic, and the gundam markers are "???"

Any assistance or clarification from anyone more versed on the top coat/paint situation would be greatly appreciated

If it were me I would just prime, use the gold spray, panel line, and and shoot it with top coat (with plenty of dry time between each step), but you're correct in that different paints can sometimes react in funny ways.

In the end the best answer is always to just do some testing. Get some plastic spoons, scribe some lines in them, and try different methods out to see what happens/what you like.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

MechaX posted:

Id always go for a top coat if you've painted and want to panel line.

General rule of paints is go hottest to coldest (that is strength of solvents)

Lacquer -> Enamel -> Acrylic hottest to coldest. ( You can put anything on top of anything as long as you are careful and go slow and build up coats.)

If you topcoat with the clear/matt Tamiya rattle can, that's going to cure super hard and using an enamel thinner to tidy up any panel lining won't eat into it, protecting your paint. (Of course dousing a part is gonna give you a bad time, but light sweeps of a cotton bud will be fine).

Best way to try if you have any left over parts, practice on them first before moving to the actual model.

Also, you will make mistakes, but you will learn from them. Just have fun doing it.

BattleRobit
Jun 14, 2013

MechaX posted:

Recently repainted my old HG Banshee Norn in Final Battle Ver. colors and used Tamiya spray cans for basically everything.

Not a great looking paint job, admittedly, but it came out half-decent
For the gold parts, I did; Primer(Tamiya) > Paint(TS-21) > Final Topcoat(TS-21 Semi Gloss)
Felt the the gold parts didn't need panel lining (also no decals used in those parts) so I just skipped the gloss topcoat.

Like the previous posts, Its a good idea to test all the paints on some scrap parts so you'd have an idea of what the finished paint job might look like.
Don't be like me, didn't do any test sprays so that Banshee ended with like 3 layers of topcoat
(Didn't like the semi gloss topcoat on the armor parts, so I went in with another layer of gloss topcoat, it made the metallic decals pop out more)

BattleRobit fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Dec 28, 2021

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

Bloody Pom posted:

Built another boy!

I mistakenly picked this up thinking it was the Revive version, imagine my surprise when it turned out I was wrong. Seems Bandai are reprinting old kits with the blue logo on the box. It's... not great, and the posability is barely one step above paralysed. The hand doesn't even hold the rifle firmly, it flops about between the fingers! It worked well as a practice run for my nub cleanup technique at least.

Next up is the Jupitive and RX-78 Beyond Global.

I think the old kits have some charm, as long as you're not paying more than about 10 bux.

(sound of 1/100 Char's Zaku falling over in the distance, its shield and antenna snapping off, sirens, screaming)

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

My wife picked me up the RG Nu as a surprise addition to Christmas, which I already had unfortunately.

But when I went to exchange it from the shop she bought it at, a retro videogame store that inexplicably stocks a little bit of Gunpla from time to time, I got a neat surprise. I knew they had the HG Xi and figured I'd grab that as a cool big boi, but they had a new in box MG Tallgeese III behind the counter at only a slight markup.

So hey, that's a cool gift after all.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Bloody Pom posted:

Built another boy!

I mistakenly picked this up thinking it was the Revive version, imagine my surprise when it turned out I was wrong. Seems Bandai are reprinting old kits with the blue logo on the box.

Yeah, everything gunpla should have the blue logo now unless it's old stock. Red Bandai and blue Bandai (Spirits) are technically separate companies now.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Christmas robot: https://imgur.com/a/nZgmviW

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Drove a couple hours today to the nearest place and they were cleaned out. Found a HG Sinanju and decided to try out some star wars and transformer kits. I finished the Mando one and it was kinda strange it came with enough extra pieces you could almost build another figure. The stickers were awful, they wanted you to put a tiny silver wrap around every grenade and said screw that after the first couple kept coming off.

Got the wife the magicarp, she loves doing the pokemon ones.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

In emergency situations, this can also be used as a blunt instrument. Thing is from 2003 and is stiff as a board.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

In emergency situations, this can also be used as a blunt instrument. Thing is from 2003 and is stiff as a board.

I tried to build that one years ago before a better 1/144 was available and gave up halfway through. Good job seeing it through!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My brother meant well. He knew I liked building gunpla and got it for me as a Christmas gift.