Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
the gangtag will link back to this thread
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up

Sure, tag me with the best actress in the show. I’m in full legends of the seeker, legion mode until proven otherwise. They have a lot of circles they turned into septagons that they thought needed to be turned into squares and it will be hilarious when they realize they need then circles again long plot wise, but maybe they’ll pull through. In particular looking forward to R and N and two statues dirtying up saidar and the echoing “I win again lews therin”. Man, they could justify thirty seasons that way if they wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah I was expecting a more pronounced epilogue , but the future that Aviendha saw has been averted according to the Wise Ones. I was disappointed we didn't get to see the meeting between Artur and Tuon, kind of curious as to what the hell that turned out to be.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Avi and Rand are gonna meet up at least one more time to bone. She isn't pregnant by the end of the series and Min sees her having Rand's kids, but strange (because his new body looks nothing like his old one).

I like to imagine Rand at least tells a few people he lived even if it never becomes common knowledge. But Aviendha's visions seem to imply he never even really tells his kids which seems like a real poo poo move

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I was expecting a more pronounced epilogue , but the future that Aviendha saw has been averted according to the Wise Ones. I was disappointed we didn't get to see the meeting between Artur and Tuon, kind of curious as to what the hell that turned out to be.

That was supposed to be a series of novels after, but unfortunately Jordan died and I don't think he had notes anyone could work off of. Probably for the best we didn't get more from someone else, but I did want to see what Mat and Min could do with Tuon.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Zore posted:

Avi and Rand are gonna meet up at least one more time to bone. She isn't pregnant by the end of the series and Min sees her having Rand's kids, but strange (because his new body looks nothing like his old one).

I like to imagine Rand at least tells a few people he lived even if it never becomes common knowledge. But Aviendha's visions seem to imply he never even really tells his kids which seems like a real poo poo move

He can bend the pattern without the one power. Making them his kids, genetically not just family wise, seems like something they could do.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Hollismason posted:

drat I still can't believe I read all 14 books , lol. So many books . So many pages. Now I have no idea what to read next! I'm open to suggestions!

now you get to start on the Wheel of Time's sequel: The Stormlight Archives

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up

Definitely a thread lurker but I’d like a tag :kiddo:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Shout out to Thom for stacking up bodies. Just hanging out composing a song while the whole world was possibly ending.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It’s funny to think that Thom was in the show for like two episodes and now is gone, for all non-readers know

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

jetz0r posted:

Every Dragon is also the Dragon Reborn as long as there's a memory of the Dragon left.

Yeah, that felt extremely wrong to me. It's not a surprise apocalyptic retaliation to punish desperate hubris if you knew it was going to happen, the it's a choice to start that apocalypse out of desperation.

I was expecting that whole cold open to transition to the book 1 prologue at some point, so just getting what we got was disappointing. I bet the book prologue is being saved for when we're shown that Ishmael isn't the dark one. Because it would give the game away to have the same actor teasing an insane LTT after we're seen him pretending to be the dark one. The show still has to pretend that he's the the personification of the TDO for a bit longer. We'll probably get some LTT flash backs, including the strike at shayol ghoul spread out over a few seasons before showing him and LTT together when we find out that he's just a forsaken working his plans to reunite the Dragon and TDO.

The show putting on these pretenses like this and the whole who is the dragon reborn "mystery" just tied it's hands and didn't make anything about it better just worse IMO, the books handled the ishamael/TDO stuff just fine and the show could've copied it over to TV format no problem I think.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Ishowmael owns, also if anyone's talented with photoshop would they mind having Rand shoot an arrow into him then he does his face melting thing to reveal B-Zane

Tia

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I felt like it was just to inform non-readers they're not very nice people. Tsunami-ing some random little girl is generally a dick move

I think this is the reason for a lot of the lore changes too, stuff like making everyone ta'veren and making ta'veren more common, calling LTT the Dragon Reborn too, it feels like it's taking shortcuts for a TV audience who aren't going to pick subtle worldbuilding.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Goofballs posted:

I suppose the obvious response is they're going to destroy any infrastructure that it hits such as the town of Falme, roads, whatever industry is connected and you probably want your ships in a port and not beached when the water goes back out. Another one of these things were they wanted the spectacle without thinking about the consequences.

There's also the consequences of the spectacle to consider. The Seanchan have a decent sized army, but it's still just an army - and I suspect that for budgetary reasons the weird animals will all be gone, so they won't even look that weird. Making them announce their arrival with "We can destroy entire cities" is a good counterbalance to that.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

All in all a kinda indecisive and disappointing season finale.

Hope it's like Breaking Bad's truncated first season and that it only gets better from here.

A Light Grift
Aug 1, 2011
After watching the s1 finale (pretty lovely battle, cool channeling, liking the adaptation so far) my buddy and I were talking about whether giant projected Rand happened in book 1 or 2. Neither of us could remember or be bothered to look it up but I did convince him to make me this:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Btw kinda weird Ishmael dresses like an Iranian Prime Minister

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
In book 1 I think he used the eye to wipe out the trolloc army and burn ishamael to a crisp, he did have a view of the thing then as if he was big as a mountain but he was not seen as in over falme.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Btw kinda weird Ishmael dresses like an Iranian Prime Minister

https://twitter.com/maiden_of_spear/status/1474809889868292099

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Everybody talking like the Falme sky battle as though it happened in book 1 is giving me “Star Trek II, the one with the whales” vibes

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Zore posted:

Min's vision is almost certainly about the fact that Avi's children always touch the source.

You're still right though. In Avi's vision of the future it's mentioned that her son, Alarch, has dark hair like his father. And the royal family of Andor and the Aiel are definitely not known for their dark hair.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
he appears at tarwin's gap, but not projected

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Zore posted:

I always assumed Rand knocked her up during their last bone session, just before the last battle.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Rand in the sky (with diamonds) was at Falme in book 2, at Tarwin's Gap he's just randomly there and blows up the trollocs before going on to ishamael

Having the ladies blow up the army instead I think is a better choice than Rand doing everything

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

except instead of got seasons it's wot episodes

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

th3t00t posted:

I always assumed Rand knocked her up during their last bone session, just before the last battle.

This thread discusses all of Rand's kids

https://www.tarvalon.net/index.php?threads/aviendhas-children-spoilers.6969/

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

I think one of the reasons that they didnt have Rand teleport to the Gap is that it might be confusing to viewers why he then doesn't start teleporting until like whatever season book 4/5 falls into. In the books we are in Rands head so we know he is not doing these things consciously. Harder to convey that in a show.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

ChubbyChecker posted:

except instead of got seasons it's wot episodes

I'm gonna give them a pass once because of the difficulties with the production of 7 & 8. There's a fairly clear drop-off in quality and script coherence between the first 6 and 7 & 8.

We know covid was a huge factor because this whole season was shot before there was any vaccine, in the midst of travel restrictions, lockdowns and quarantines and the production was shut down twice. Add to that whatever happened to Barney before block 4 of episodes 7 & 8 which caused a flurry of rewrites and reshoots. Of this time period Sanderson says: "things were happening with Barney, his role was needing to be reduced, and that required major rewrites and they were in crisis mode." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kgOCap4AcE&t=589s

We know things like the blight were supposed to be shot on location in the Canary Islands but they couldn't travel there because of covid so they built a small set with the 4 legged-spider tree looking thing and multiplied it with CGI. Daniel Greene had a comment in his episode 8 video about quality and said something like: just push the release back for 6 months if that's what it takes to get the quality up to par. Yeah that doesn't work in tv and movies when you have crews contracted for specified time periods and actors as well committed to certain chunks of their time who themselves have other commitments.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The blight being filmed on Lanzarote or something would have been such a better choice than the wierd dead forest we got, that's a shame.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Gully Foyle posted:

I think one of the reasons that they didnt have Rand teleport to the Gap is that it might be confusing to viewers why he then doesn't start teleporting until like whatever season book 4/5 falls into. In the books we are in Rands head so we know he is not doing these things consciously. Harder to convey that in a show.

No chance of them doing falme in the sky then either.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Few rules:

I want a tag! I wasn't on the forums for Christmas it's the first I've read of this please don't forget me!

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 26, 2021

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Season 1 difficulties aside, the future looks bright for The Wheel of Time TV series.

Forbes posted:

Sometimes you might run into a situation where a show is right on the edge of justifying its budget, but instead of getting increased funding, they are told to make do with less for a second season. This never goes well, and the chief example I’m thinking of here was the clearly scaled back season 2 of Altered Carbon, which was miles worse than the first on Netflix. But here, Wheel of Time is following the Game of Thrones trajectory, where success translates into bigger and bigger budgets, as they’ve proven what they can do with their current amount.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2021/12/24/amazon-confirms-the-wheel-of-time-season-2-has-a-bigger-budget/amp/

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Hexel posted:

Season 1 difficulties aside, the future looks bright for The Wheel of Time TV series.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2021/12/24/amazon-confirms-the-wheel-of-time-season-2-has-a-bigger-budget/amp/

Awesome. The first half of this season was really solid and good. I do truly hope that the finale was a product of covid and that they get the resources and breathing room to do better.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Hexel posted:

The best part of the Altered Carbon adaptation is where they removed to thrice-per-page references yo the MC's "surging manhood".

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

DarkHorse posted:

Rand in the sky (with diamonds) was at Falme in book 2, at Tarwin's Gap he's just randomly there and blows up the trollocs before going on to ishamael

Having the ladies blow up the army instead I think is a better choice than Rand doing everything
I would've preferred they do it as per the book, because I would have liked them to keep the mechanics of the world intact. But in the context of them kind of brushing over or massively altering stuff like the power works anyway, having the women do it was good. The thing I still really don't get is why change the actual scene from how it was in the books. The scene in the books with Rand is much cooler, and would have avoided the near-total idiocy of their very bad battle scenes. Hell, if you make Tarwin's gap like it is in the books, not a big wall but just a valley some distance away from Fal Dara, then you can have a scene where Amalisa is left behind to defend the city but she discovers that there are these two girls there (N & E) who are somehow absurdly strong in the one power, so holy poo poo we might just have a chance to save Agelmar and the army from annihilation at the Gap.. if we can get there in time. Queue a race against time scene where they race to the Gap only to find the army nearly decimated and facing impossible odds (like in the book). Have a scene where the women charge through the army of men and stand in front of them to destroy the trolloc army. Etc.

I guess the only thing they'd have had to change previously in the series to make this work, is make it clear that women channelers can sense how powerful each other are? I'm not sure whether show has explicitly ruled that out at some point. I don't know why they'd want to change that rule anyway.
Edit: or hell, you could actually do the same thing but preserve both the show's weird reticence about whether women can sense how powerful other women are, AND better preserve the book's Power mechanics, by having a scene where Amalisa says to the other women look, I never made it past Accepted but I saw Aes Sedai linking once and think I know how to do it, so let's give this a try now before the trollocs get here... then she links and surely at that point, even in the show's universe, she would sense how powerful N & E are.

Gully Foyle posted:

I have to disagree on that one. The women in the series have already been doing channeling with no training as has Rand. You can explain extremely easily that these things can be done accidentally or by instinct. Hell Moiraine already explained that to Rand in the actual episode.
Also in the books isn't there stuff that's done by channelers and afterwards they're like 'uh I don't know how I did that'? Not sure but I feel like that's a thing that happened explicitly at some point, could be making this up though.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 26, 2021

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gully Foyle posted:

Future: "Why don't you just teleport again like at Tarwin's Gap?"
"I can't, I don't know how I did it then."
"Oh ok."

I started out excited, but I am beginning to have serious misgivings about this show. One could argue the entire premise of the entire story is "Men and women channel different types of magic, and the male half is tainted and causes madness, and that's why male channelers are hunted." They've all but done away with that for reasons, but not really. Now male channelers are hunted for madness, but everyone still claims a woman can be the Dragon Reborn, feared because males go mad.

I hope they can fix this poo poo in season 2.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

A funny thing I've noticed is a lot of times when I've been searching for the "book lore" answer to things that happen in the show, I come up with debate threads from Dragonmount hashing out very similar issues from the books. Like there are a whole bunch of threads from avid book readers about what the "dragon" vs "the dragon reborn" vs "the champion of the light" is, whether it's a specific soul, whether they're always men, whether they can be separate people, what happens if the dragon falls to the shadow, whether there are dragons in other ages. This is unclear enough in the source material that they fall back to quotes from RJ at book signings and stuff. From this perspective it seems very reasonable to me that the showrunners just simplifed this into the champion of the light in every age being called "the dragon reborn".

The main difference I've noticed is that when people encounter one of the "rough edges" of the lore in the books, they assume RJ created a consistent universe and then work backwards to what the possible explanations could be, whereas the show gets the CINEMASINS treatment.

Which is fair play, no one is required to give the show the benefit of the doubt, but after getting over the initial hump of how much the show diverges in terms of plot, I've found it way more fun to consider "huh, why did they make that change" or "interesting, how does this square with the lore" rather than always having the knives sharpened.

This post partially inspired by getting another text from my book-reader buddy with a bullet-pointed list of gripes lol. Thankfully a few other friends and family are enjoying the show and I've been able to have discussions about the lore and stuff with them.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

GORDON posted:

[Snip] Now male channelers are hunted for madness, but everyone still claims a woman can be the Dragon Reborn, feared because males go mad.
The DR isn't feared because males go mad. Yes it's expected that the DR would be able to channel so in the books the madness is implicitly tied up with ordinary folks' fear of the DR, but the bigger reasons for fearing him are far less specific; he is thought to be actually evil (in Thom's first scene he says he'll tell the story of how LTT went and tried to free the Dark One from his prison so he would be loosed upon the world), his coming is a herald of the literal apocalypse, specifically continent wide wars etc.

The power thing is really ancillary and is certainly not an explicit part of the prophecies.

I agree with the rest of your post though :3: Show is a mess

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't think anyone was actually confused about the difference between Dragon and Dragon Reborn until now.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

GORDON posted:

Future: "Why don't you just teleport again like at Tarwin's Gap?"
"I can't, I don't know how I did it then."
"Oh ok."

I started out excited, but I am beginning to have serious misgivings about this show. One could argue the entire premise of the entire story is "Men and women channel different types of magic, and the male half is tainted and causes madness, and that's why male channelers are hunted." They've all but done away with that for reasons, but not really. Now male channelers are hunted for madness, but everyone still claims a woman can be the Dragon Reborn, feared because males go mad.

I hope they can fix this poo poo in season 2.

The Dragon Reborn is feared because his coming heralds an age-ending, perhaps world-ending, apocalypse. The madness is just icing on the cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The madness is part of why he's considered to be personally part of the threat instead of just the harbinger. Like yeah most people will reluctantly concede that he's necessary to fight the Dark One, but they're almost as afraid of what he might do because Lews Therin went mad and broke the world.