Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Skeezy posted:

So far it’s more of the same but feels a bit better to play. I’m just hoping this one fills the easy breezy feel that I want from an RPG even if the story isn’t.

Edit: One thing I can say is that with the way the first game ended, I don’t really see why they needed to make a sequel really. It is what it is but to me XIII had a pretty definitive ending imo.

it was a hard time for square-enix. the FFXIII sequels were basically an attempt to recoup some losses from earlier development troubles, putting reused assets to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Every so often I look at World Of Final Fantasy in my steam library and wish I liked it more.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I admit for me that doesn't hit as hard because it's kind of a blatant clone of Tellah vs Golbez.

Idk about blatant, they at least took the time for them to feel different, Tellah dies because he does the thing he was told not to do because he hated Golbez so much, and Galuf dies face tanking like 20x his max HP in damage loving up an evil tree that was going to kill his friends/granddaughter because he was a bro.

Also FF4 just kinda does deaths poorly in general, that game really needed an editor to make half the “deaths” just “hey I need to go back to my home planet”.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Every so often I look at World Of Final Fantasy in my steam library and wish I liked it more.

Nothing wrong with not liking it

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

Nothing wrong with not liking it

Of course, but I wish I did! It has alot of parts I find endearing but the actual stacking mechanics I felt were really not great. Felt like once you got a half decent combo there wasn't much reason to actually change anything out. which then, what's the point?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I like the dumb puns (well, really I love-the puns except for-the one) but a monster collection/nostalgia game that throws iconic FF monsters at you but they’re all level 1 and there’s no dynamic EXP gain mechanic like Pokémon is a bit of a drag.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

NikkolasKing posted:

There was no way it was going to happen given the response to XII but XIII really could have used Gambits. There is absolutely strategy in XIII but it's akin to the strategy in Persona 3 - you gotta strategize around the AI instead of just fuckin' doing things yourselves like you should be able to.

:psyduck:

The AI for ff13 was good. It prioritized actions extremely well and would almost always did the most optimal actions for their respective job. It's much more predictable than persona 3 and you basically are doing things yourself.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I wish it got a sequel that improved on the battle system a bit.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 27, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

the FFXIII sequels were basically an attempt to recoup some losses from earlier development troubles, putting reused assets to work
well, sort of. that was also a factor, but also ff13 was very popular. people make fun of 'lightning returns final fantasy 13' as a name but its called that cause people were mad lightning wasnt in 13-2 enough, the people love lightning. so its a combination of cheap asset reuse and cashing in on a popular ip.

for reference 13-2 sold 3.6 million and probably didn't cost much at all to make. it was basically free money. to compare it to another spinoff/sequel type game around the same time, crisis core sold half a million less with the even more beloved ff7 ip, and while being a psp game it wasnt exactly a massive undertaking that pushed technology to its limits they still had to make all new assets for it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Did they change how some of the roles work in XIII-2? I don’t remember COM/COM paradigms having characters targeting different enemies. Looks like that’s how it works in 2 now?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:psyduck:

The AI for ff13 was good. It prioritized actions extremely well and would almost always do the most optimal action for their respective job.

That wasn't my point. AI means you have no strategy of your own, you build a strategy around what you can't control.

If people wanted to whine about how FFXII 'played itself" because of commands you assigned, what is FFXIII where two of your three party members are actually beyond your control forever. It would absolutely be more interesting if you could assign what your characters do.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Did they change how some of the roles work in XIII-2? I don’t remember COM/COM paradigms having characters targeting different enemies. Looks like that’s how it works in 2 now?

Thats how it worked in 13 as well, if you have multiple foes the coms will split up. Its why one com is all you need for most encounters with triple coms for bosses

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

That wasn't my point. AI means you have no strategy of your own, you build a strategy around what you can't control.

If people wanted to whine about how FFXII 'played itself" because of commands you assigned, what is FFXIII where two of your three party members are actually beyond your control forever. It would absolutely be more interesting if you could assign what your characters do.

The AIs literally function differently depending on what paradigm you have set. That is half the point.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Barudak posted:

Thats how it worked in 13 as well, if you have multiple foes the coms will split up. Its why one com is all you need for most encounters with triple coms for bosses

Huh, okay. Guess I just never paid much attention to it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

NikkolasKing posted:

But the AI actions are predictable and basically optimized. If something is weak to fire, you will use fire based stuff on it if you are a com / rav. If you are a sentinel, you will taunt. If you are a buffer / debuffer you will do those first before attacking.

People poo poo on ff12 because once you set up the gambits you really don't have to do anything besides move the characters around. No other input is needed. Paradigm shifting is basically changing gambits.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

If people wanted to whine about how FFXII 'played itself" because of commands you assigned, what is FFXIII where two of your three party members are actually beyond your control forever.

But... but the strategy of 13 is the team setup. Issuing your own commands is a fools errand in 99% of cases, but telling them to issue commands early is useful the entire game. Its a game of managing combat. XII gambits help you automate the part 13 already automates and then.... has nothing else to do. You're done, push the stick towards enemies

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

But the AI actions are predictable and basically optimized. If something is weak to fire, you will use fire based stuff on it if you are a com / rav. If you are a sentinel, you will taunt. If you are a buffer / debuffer you will do those first before attacking.

People poo poo on ff12 because once you set up the gambits you really don't have to do anything besides move the characters around. No other input is needed.

Yeah, the key problem with FF12 (especially the original license board) is that it has almost nothing in the way of unique or interesting skills. Even the Job Board mostly serves to try to limit what you can do in an attempt to force diversity among the characters. 90% of the techniques are "Use a physical attack with (x) condition that is almost inherently worse than just autoattacking" Green Magick is probably the most interesting set of abilities in the game and even then Oil makes Fire basically the only worthwhile magic in the game as long as it isn't resisted.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

You are telling them what to do, through the paradigm/job assignments.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, the key problem with FF12 (especially the original license board) is that it has almost nothing in the way of unique or interesting skills. Even the Job Board mostly serves to try to limit what you can do in an attempt to force diversity among the characters. 90% of the techniques are "Use a physical attack with (x) condition that is almost inherently worse than just autoattacking" Green Magick is probably the most interesting set of abilities in the game and even then Oil makes Fire basically the only worthwhile magic in the game as long as it isn't resisted.

I can't believe they redid ff12 twice but still kept all the technicks as completely worthless(except shades of black which is broken good). At least magic has it's niche.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I 100%'d it and I liked it a lot but I can understand anyone who didn't like it. And as was pointed out, once you have a decent stack there's really no reason to ever change it, so you find all these cool monsters that you end up never using because they're just not as good as what you already have.

Pokemon avoided that problem by having wild monsters at higher levels than one, and also by differentiating between Pokemon with abilities and movesets, as well as typing. WoFF, not so much.

e:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I can't believe they redid ff12 twice but still kept all the technicks as completely worthless(except shades of black which is broken good). At least magic has it's niche.

Telekinesis is like the only good physical Technick, it's a loving shame that Technicks are just absolute garbage compared to straight up hitting dudes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kay Kessler posted:

For XV I'd go with the Leviathan fight. Even though it's just a setpiece that's almost impossible to lose, the entire presentation in that whole scene was top-notch. Doesn't hurt that Apocalypsis Aquarius is a loving amazing track.

The song before it is just as awesome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ayRMRDbSJM

I love the duality: the first boss theme is for Leviathan, emphasizing her power, and the second song is for Noctis, emphasizing his power.

It really is the last great moment with proper build in FFXV which is another reason why it's so great.

Twelve by Pies posted:

FF7's script has a lot of translation problems but they absolutely nail the date scene with Cloud and Aerith.

Just absolutely fantastic stuff. I also finally looked up what the Tifa/Yuffie/Barret dates are like, since I'm never going to get them. Part of me always wants to, but you have to be a huge rear end in a top hat to Aerith to get a date with anyone else and I just don't have it in me. That said, the exchange at the end of the Tifa date is really good stuff too.

The Yuffie date is just kind of interesting with Yuffie kissing Cloud on the cheek out of nowhere and Cloud not reacting to it, and rightfully so, even ignoring the age thing, there's also the "You stole all our materia and told us we were idiots to trust you like two days ago." I'm honestly surprised Yuffie wasn't like "There's only room for one traitor in this party!" when they confronted Cait Sith.

The Barret date is just weird. The Event Square being skipped is pretty funny, but the entire conversation on the gondola is just...weird, with Barret apparently thinking Cloud wants to date his four year old daughter? Then he shoots at the fireworks.

A fact nobody seems to ever consider is that Cloud is basically still sixteen. He's spent the last five years as a test subject in a tube which reduced him to a drooling mess. I don't recall the exact timeline but I'm pretty sure he and Zack only escaped and he was found by Tifa a few montsh at mos beore FFVII.

He's not exactly the same kid who went to Nibelheim but he has in no way lived 21 years. This is not about dating Yuffie or anything, it's just a fa very pertinent fact nobody ever really thinks about.

In a related note, Cloud revealing himself after stabbing Sephiroth, and then overpowering Sephiroth after being impaled, is a serious contender for best moment inFFVII. The music is really well directed in the scene, too.

For XIII-2's best moment, Caius finally making his move, and then everything in Noel's memory of 700 AF is the peak of XIII-2's more legitimate, emotional storytelling.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ai control in RPGs is generally fine. Especially in a game with such a limited action set as P3 FES. Ninety percent of the time the ai is going to make the same decision as the player, but now you don't have to select three characters worth of redundant options.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

NikkolasKing posted:

For XIII-2's best moment

it's either Time Cop or shouting at Hope to not build a stupid computer hundreds of years ago, not close

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

A fact nobody seems to ever consider is that Cloud is basically still sixteen. He's spent the last five years as a test subject in a tube which reduced him to a drooling mess. I don't recall the exact timeline but I'm pretty sure he and Zack only escaped and he was found by Tifa a few montsh at mos beore FFVII.

He's not exactly the same kid who went to Nibelheim but he has in no way lived 21 years. This is not about dating Yuffie or anything, it's just a fa very pertinent fact nobody ever really thinks about.
i mean hes lacking life experiences but this isnt how age works. as you age your brain physically grows, which is a large factor in people becoming more mature over time. obviously not the only factor, and cloud lacking five years of life experiences in his late teens does explain a lot of his personality, but he's still a 21 year old man with the emotional and mental capacity of a 21 year old.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

oh hell yeah. let's get into it, FF thread

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Good, great, or best Final Fantasy character design?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

That's why FF7R rules. Thank you FF13 and 15 for helping make the battle system in 7R

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Endorph posted:

i mean hes lacking life experiences but this isnt how age works. as you age your brain physically grows, which is a large factor in people becoming more mature over time. obviously not the only factor, and cloud lacking five years of life experiences in his late teens does explain a lot of his personality, but he's still a 21 year old man with the emotional and mental capacity of a 21 year old.

I would question the mental capacity of Cloud "I can't seriously think about my past at all without losing my poo poo" Strife. It's actually a very interesting philosophical question: what makes you You? A lot of people would say it's their memoreiss so does that mean a person with amnesia is a different person entirely than who they used to be? Going back to FFVII and Xenogears parallels Fei is only 3-yeards old in Xenogears because his personality was just created 3 years ago. Cloud as we see him early on was just made a few months ago.

In any event, I would sooner trust a normal functioning teenager's mental abilities over whatever Cloud was for the first half of FFVII. He's in no way a functioning adult.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 27, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Why the gently caress does every anime convo end up talking about age, hmmmm

Anyway can we talk about FF13 again plz

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Skeezy posted:

In 13-1 different paradigms would have different targetting priorities. COMs and SABs would try to attack different targets from each other, while RAVs would attack the same target. It's kind of annoying since COMs are also the big damage role that you would otherwise want to switch to when you stagger something but it's workable. 13-2 has the same thing by default but also has the option of setting paradigms as either Wide (to attack multiple enemies) or Cross (to attack one enemy) with any roles. It gives you a lot more flexibility.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

Good, great, or best Final Fantasy character design?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

clouds real messed up but honestly he just gave me big 2cool4school/mentally ill young adult (later on) vibes when i was playing 7, didn't really think he was secretly a teen

now fei i think that guys got some Issues

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Barreft posted:

Why the gently caress does every anime convo end up talking about age, hmmmm

Anyway can we talk about FF13 again plz

People discussing whether a 21 year old has the full life experience of a 21 year old in a game about how memory is fragile and traumatic is perfectly valid

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I just find Cloud's situation fascinating and wish this aspect of FFVII was analyzed more. He's probably my favorite FF main character just for how different he is.

Similarly underdiscussed is how every single person around Cloud bungled helping the clearly mentally disturbed man. Some people get weird about it and say Tifa was using him for her own needs when it's clear she's just as confused as he is and is also a victim in her own right. Sure she absolutely should have pulled him aside for a long talk but I don't think there was any manipulation here.

No, the real person who doesn't get enough poo poo is Barret. After the Temple of the Ancients, his encouraging Cloud to simply continue on was the worst, most illogical advice of all time. Cloud had this giant, gaping mental wound and nobody really helped him with it. They just laft him easy prey for Sephiroth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I just find Cloud's situation fascinating and wish this aspect of FFVII was analyzed more. He's probably my favorite FF main character just for how different he is.

Similarly underdiscussed is how every single person around Cloud bungled helping the clearly mentally disturbed man. Some people get weird about it and say Tifa was using him for her own needs when it's clear she's just as confused as he is and is also a victim in her own right. Sure she absolutely should have pulled him aside for a long talk but I don't think there was any manipulation here.

No, the real person who doesn't get enough poo poo is Barret. After the Temple of the Ancients, his encouraging Cloud to simply continue on was the worst, most illogical advice of all time. Cloud had this giant, gaping mental wound and nobody really helped him with it. They just laft him easy prey for Sephiroth.

Barrett had literally zero idea what was happening and telling Cloud to go home wouldn't help considering Cloud had no home

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Last Celebration posted:

Idk about blatant, they at least took the time for them to feel different, Tellah dies because he does the thing he was told not to do because he hated Golbez so much, and Galuf dies face tanking like 20x his max HP in damage loving up an evil tree that was going to kill his friends/granddaughter because he was a bro.

Also FF4 just kinda does deaths poorly in general, that game really needed an editor to make half the “deaths” just “hey I need to go back to my home planet”.
Aeris dying was cool enough but in historical context of FF3, 4, and 5, and poo poo Legend of Dragoon contemporaneously, Aeris dying was some galaxy brain poo poo.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Mr. Locke posted:

It's kinda got the same problem status effects do in RPGs where they're of varying worth- in a lot of games random fights are too easy to be worth scanning, and often when you run across something where scan might be useful, like a boss, it doesn't work at all. It's less apparent in FF, which has been pretty consistent on making scan-type spells or abilities useful, but a lot of other games run afoul of this.

That's fair. I guess maybe as I get older (and play games less and less) I start caring less about going through things fast, which is why these days I'm fine with taking my time and scanning/learning about enemies. This reminds me of when I played NMH3 this year alongside another friend of mine and we had some different takes on bosses because I'd spend a while trying to learn how the bosses worked before trying to really beat them, where my friend was just rushing things along and ended up missing big chunks of how certain things worked.

The persona comparison is good too. It's been many years since I played P4 but I remember how annoying it was on bosses/big enemies specifically to fill out the scanned info, even though I already knew they'd be weak to whatever thing. All in all, more rpgs should buff their scan spells I guess.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Cloud "I can't seriously think about my past at all without losing my poo poo" Strife
yes, like i said, he has the mental capacity of a 21 year old man

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
Gilgamesh saving the day in FF5 gives me shivers everytime, even though the story is silly and campy as hell.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cloud's doing pretty alright for being 21 tbh.

E: Like Vincent's twice his age and he sleeps in a coffin. Cloud's doing ok.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Gaius Marius posted:

Crossing the bridge in FFI was cool as hell.

Stranger of Paradise agrees