Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

InternetJunky posted:

I guess it's worth asking -- any chance your new FEP still has a protective film on one side of it?

I really hope not but it's possible. Gonna try a few more things but I'm just gonna replace the fep again.

Should I be aiming for a certain Hz of tightness?

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

A new FEP usually has a protective layer to take off both sides.

Ask me how I know.

And you should be able to flick it and get a 'twang' sound.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

:nws:

In awe of the size of this lad. Absolute unit.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I tried printing the friendly slug but I guess my printer needs some more tuning, his middle portion is fused together. Still cute though.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Toebone posted:

I tried printing the friendly slug but I guess my printer needs some more tuning, his middle portion is fused together. Still cute though.

My first one did that, I got most but not all of the joints to break free but I really had to crank on it. When I started making them bigger, they were much easier to separate.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I was assembling my lack enclosure and dropped one of the top cabinet halves, shattering both corner parts where they meet the legs :smith:

I have them gluing, but I suspect it will be easier to reprint them, since it took out the peg on the rear crossbar too (20hrs :unsmigghh:).

Ah well, it will be quicker the second time right?

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Me last night: hooray, at 8am tomorrow after 36 hours of printing I’ll have a big slug of my own! It’s looking good!

8AM this morning: lol

Merry Christmas 3D printing thread!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I printed some figures for my wife for Christmas and she loved ‘em. Whew.

I promised to paint them though. :shobon:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Doctor Zero posted:

I promised to paint them though. :shobon:

You now have an xmas present for her for 2033.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
So how many active participants (all 10 of us) actually have Vorons? I've got 3, with 2 more in the pipeline.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

You now have an xmas present for her for 2033.

I have unpainted minis older than my nephews.

They are in their 30s. :negative:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

insta posted:

So how many active participants (all 10 of us) actually have Vorons? I've got 3, with 2 more in the pipeline.

Finally enough time over Christmas that I'm finishing the wiring on my 0.1

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

insta posted:

I only have a 2.4, having joined the Voron community this year.

I'm still tossing up between a 0.1 and a Switchwire as another machine, but I suspect the 0 will win out. There are serious considerations such as what pattern am I going to etch into the extrusion.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I am interested in building a Voron since I am somewhat knowledgeable about electronics and have had a couple of cheap printers in the past. My problem is that I have no practical use for another printer and it’d probably sit in my basement collecting dust after I print spool of filament worth of stuff off of thingiverse.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Has anyone here installed one of those ender extender kits? I'm thinking of getting one for big printing, but they're almost as expensive as another ender 3 so I'm wondering if anyone has first hand experience and knows what the potential downsides are.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

insta posted:

I started mine because of you guys. And the fact I got pif parts so early

Tuesday the rest of my parts arrive for my 2.4(300mm!) And I could probably see myself doing a v0 later. But after I print all the upgrades I want for the 2.4

I think I just need to order a heater pad, a printing surface , panels and a cable chain.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Hekk posted:

I am interested in building a Voron since I am somewhat knowledgeable about electronics and have had a couple of cheap printers in the past. My problem is that I have no practical use for another printer and it’d probably sit in my basement collecting dust after I print spool of filament worth of stuff off of thingiverse.

I find projects for myself. I have the parts and technical know how now to

Build a rpi controlled servo for tilt/ pan to use a camera for the coral tpu ai to find my cat on top of the counter, track it, spin two rollers up to speed, and push a nerf dart into the path the tpu is extra, but it's real time vs 8fps

I'm not telling my family I am going to also train it on their faces, So I can randomly select them from time to time.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

insta posted:

I have one that mostly just prints upgrade parts. :haw:

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Trip report: playing with speeds on the CHT nozzle. Slicer said a big Eevee would take 9 hrs, printer says 7.5. we'll see tomorrow who was right.

I did a couple tiny benchmarks, but can't see a difference with the tweaks, I guess it's live and learn

Lack enclosure is finished, but I still don't have a way to feed the filament yet, so just keeping the top popped.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

insta posted:

Got 1, got on 95%. Maybe I finish the V0 this week. The Legacy is a workhorse.

As it's a thing I keep repeating, voron is a collection of best practices, and if you start treating ~all printers~ with the same philosophy, other printers work pretty loving well too. EG, my ender works so well.. I don't wanna retire it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

insta posted:

I have enough printers (for now) and don't want the headache of building my own (for now).

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

I just recently finished a voron 0.1 fork called 'TinyM', suggested by insta and it rips and is so nice to use compared to my ender and prusa mini.

I did also bodge it to suit a bunch of parts I already had, end of roll filaments, etc, so its not even 100% true to the fork so didn't bother with the serial request.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Isometric Bacon posted:

I can't speak for Ender 3 but I have a Prusa and had to put it together and I learned so much from that process that helped immensely the bunch of times I've had to pull it apart to fix things... Since it was my first printer If I'd inherited it or bought one fully built I'm not sure i'd be as confident pulling it to pieces, particularly as I'm not traditionally much of a DIY guy.

If its got a bunch of mods and you aren't familiar with it it might be more difficult to diagnose issues? Or it could be that everyone has those mods and easy to get help.

So just another thing to factor in.

Cool Dad posted:

That seems like a good deal for all of that, with the exception that you won't be able to return it if it doesn't work or you don't like fiddling with your printer. If you're excited to tinker a lot and you're willing to take the risk, it's an excellent deal.

I do not know why it includes a tub of grease, maybe that's just a thing you do in Australia

Paradoxish posted:

The price is okay, especially with the raspberry pi included. If you're buying this from someone in person, I'd inspect the machine very carefully. A well-built/maintained Ender 3 should be really reliable and pretty plug and play, but you don't want someone's mess that they've hacked together unless you're okay with tearing it down and rebuilding. For that much money, you should really be getting something that's ready to go since you can easily buy and fully upgrade an Ender 3v2 for much less than $360.

Thanks for the advice, goons. I offered him $400 keeping in mind the hassle of setting it up vs getting a new one with warranty, which he was happy to accept, so going to pick it up tomorrow morning. Are there any immediately obvious physical red flags I should look out for when I go to pick it up? TBH I'm not going to go over it with a fine-tooth comb, but if there's anything obvious I could spot at a glance I might bail.

I am a big tinkerer (spent this morning re-gluing and patching the bellows in an 80 year old field camera) so that aspect doesn't really bother me... though I'd by lying if I said I wasn't hoping for some hassle-free prints in the next week or two. It should be able to quickly pay for itself once I'm able to print a lensboard adapter and some plate holders for my new camera, and there are a lot of other things I've been keen to try out for some time.

Had a question about setup: is moving the printer around between prints asking for grief? Debating on a couple different corners of the flat to store it, depending on whether it needs to be set in place or if I can move it out when needed.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Had a question about setup: is moving the printer around between prints asking for grief? Debating on a couple different corners of the flat to store it, depending on whether it needs to be set in place or if I can move it out when needed.

if it's a good printer.... it's fine. I've literally picked up my ender by the top rail and carried it about while printing. Prusas are a bit more sensitive.

You'll be fine. Just don't drop it.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
CHT setting modifications seem to have worked on PLA? I'm totally shooting in the dark here. I basically made sure the MVS was set to 15 mm3/s and started making all the speeds much faster without changing any of the other 0.2 presets. all the base speeds went to 160 mm/s. external speed at 70% of that(112). bridging & gap fill to 80

I don't see any worse artifacts in the final print vs the default prusa settings. There's a bulge where it transitions from 31 mm/s to 16.7, but thats probably something that is related to heat from the faster stages dissipating too slow on that layer.

The large eevee came out perfect.

I'll have to try PETG next and see how fast I can go on that.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

insta posted:

I've decided to go ahead and build one, but I just don't have space to work on it. I'll be rearranging the workshop over the holidays, and then I'll start.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Vaporware posted:

CHT setting modifications seem to have worked on PLA? I'm totally shooting in the dark here. I basically made sure the MVS was set to 15 mm3/s and started making all the speeds much faster without changing any of the other 0.2 presets. all the base speeds went to 160 mm/s. external speed at 70% of that(112). bridging & gap fill to 80

That's a drat nice outcome for a bedslinger, and the print was pretty decent too.

A friend bought a size range, just to see how the 1.8mm nozzle went with 1.75 filament.

I did swap my Voron back to a 0.4mm last night to reprint the afterburner fan shroud, as I just couldn't get the R and O insides to stick and I got sick of playing with it. Also swapped the Dragon over with a spare. For some reason I was getting jams mid heatbreak. Not clogs, just a piece of broken filament that wouldn't move until removed the nozzle, no matter which nozzle.

I have come to appreciate the one hand changes on the Dragon and how easily the Afterburner comes apart.

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009

insta posted:

I have a single Voron (2.4 350) here, just waiting for me to clear space for it to live at home.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Picked up the printer this morning :toot: It seems to be something the guy spent a fair bit of time and care on, there are some nice touches like a couple of printed drawers for holding allen keys, spanners, nozzles, etc. I *think* I've got it back together (just the spool holder and display were disconnected) but haven't tried powering it on yet.

It came with a Creality auto bed levelling sensor that doesn't look to have been installed yet; as a beginner would I better off leaving this alone, or is it likely to save me some headache starting out?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Deviant posted:

A new FEP usually has a protective layer to take off both sides.

Ask me how I know.

And you should be able to flick it and get a 'twang' sound.

Welp, it wasn't the fep. Replaced it and still having issues

I'm thinking my Saturn's hsd a bad UV lamp or the screen is shot or something. Other machine's been working swimmingly.

Might try switching to a resin I like using a little bit more and see if that does the trick

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 27, 2021

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Picked up the printer this morning :toot: It seems to be something the guy spent a fair bit of time and care on, there are some nice touches like a couple of printed drawers for holding allen keys, spanners, nozzles, etc. I *think* I've got it back together (just the spool holder and display were disconnected) but haven't tried powering it on yet.

It came with a Creality auto bed levelling sensor that doesn't look to have been installed yet; as a beginner would I better off leaving this alone, or is it likely to save me some headache starting out?

I would try to get it set up without it first. Watch some bed leveling videos on YouTube, try to get a decent first layer going the old fashioned way. Once you've got a handle on that, then if you want to add the bed level sensor so you can do visualizations and stuff. I think it's better to understand how things work without it before you mess with it, though. I'd it has an after market motherboard it might be weird to connect a Creality sensor too, as well.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Dang, I was planning on getting into the world of 3D printers and pick up a Prusa Mini if I can swing it on my next bonus but then I learned there's a new Ender 3 model out, the S1 which looks like is targeting the same pricing. It's nice to see more affordable and complete out of box experiences but man does it make decisions more difficult for me now.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

insta posted:

I wound up selling my Prusa mk3s and building a 350mm v2.4 (not from a formbot kit) to go with my v0.something (which was a v0.0 formbot kit with a few upgrades to bring it mostly up to v0.1 spec, but still with a mains bed, along with a bunch of other replacement parts to get rid of all the mediocre stuff that formbot included).

The 0.1 is due for some maintenance though, going to replace all the formbot bearings and upgrade to the 0.1 spec motors since right now it's slower than the 2.4 when printing if I don't want it to lose steps.

Good printers, but they're only as good as the time and parts you put into them... cut corners and you'll wind up with a lot of the same problems enders have with their problems.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Hello 3d printing thread, I received a Phrozen Sonic Mini 4k for Christmas and being technologically inept it looks like I'm doing something wrong in the very first step. I'm trying to calibrate the z-axis using a sheet of paper, but no matter how much I press down on the build plate and tighten the screws, the paper keeps moving. Phrozen's blog suggest using the vat itself if the paper method keeps failing; has anyone tried this?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Dang, I was planning on getting into the world of 3D printers and pick up a Prusa Mini if I can swing it on my next bonus but then I learned there's a new Ender 3 model out, the S1 which looks like is targeting the same pricing. It's nice to see more affordable and complete out of box experiences but man does it make decisions more difficult for me now.

The day Creality releases a 3d printer that does not require mods out of the box to make for a decent end-user experience will be the day I stop laughing whenever someone says they sell good machines.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The day Creality releases a 3d printer that does not require mods out of the box to make for a decent end-user experience will be the day I stop laughing whenever someone says they sell good machines.

fr. if your budget is into prusa money, that's a no brainer

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why does Creality not simply clone the MK3S exactly? It would be a lovely move, but all the parts are up in their site for free download, and surely they could do it for much less than 750 dollars since they aren't spending any money on R&D. That would sure shut up all us Prusa people.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Licensing and having to give credit to someone outside the company.

Also you can't build and sell MK3S's and sell them for profit with the licensing, I think.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
But you can change it enough that it's not covered by the patent. Because shady companies do that all the time

I say this as someone who has no idea what the prussa patent covers

On another note, a neighbor wanted to get into printing and went with the ender 6/cr 10. I'm not intimately familiar with what is in it, but it seems like it has a lot of upgrade features that will bite him in the foot later. No idea what board is in it, but the touch screen prevents jyers, and I dunno about the auto leveling, etc

May the odds forever be in his favor. At least he offered good beer to help him set it up and get it working

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The person in charge of 3D printers at my Maker space would buy Prusa printers, but knockoff parts from AliExpress for maintenance. Regardless of the quality of parts, any kind of replacement would have a printer down for months as we waited for the slow boat to deliver instead of buying from Prusa.

Extremely huge brain on that one.