Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

i dont even know what im lookin at here twitter video compression fuckin sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
reading this thread and google survey asked me ten minutes later if i've researched renting a car lol

no google i want to kill the cars not use them more

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

i dont even know what im lookin at here twitter video compression fuckin sucks
someone going down a protected bike lane the wrong way on a one way street.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Wolfy posted:

someone going down a protected bike lane the wrong way on a one way street.
And, importantly, having fallen into the ditch on the right side and possibly causing real damage to their vehicle.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://www.startribune.com/all-electric-f-150-lightning-so-popular-that-ford-cuts-off-buyers/600130130/

quote:

"Wait until they drive it," Farley said. "Zero to 60 like a 911 [Porsche]. It's just an incredible product."

wow awesome, and it will weigh over three tons

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cool, mine still accelerates at a normal speed, so have fun behind me

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

reading hitchhiker's guide again

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Cool, mine still accelerates at a normal speed, so have fun behind me

Don';t worry, they'll speed right behind you and hit you with the brights

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Minera posted:

reading hitchhiker's guide again

The British are not particularly fond of cars, it's possibly their sole redeeming feature

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The British are not particularly fond of cars, it's possibly their sole redeeming feature

to be fair, as was pointed out earlier, cities designed for humans with cars is probably a unique hell worse than cities for cars with humans in them

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/diegbro/status/1474460075762884608

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

that mall had a huge sculpture in the shape of the lower 48 made out of car wreckage too. it was great. also there was a portico for pedestrians running the whole length of the storefronts that had some cool kinetic sculptures which has also been all removed to make more room for car

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

There was something vaguely similar in central CT not too far from where I grew up. It was apparently demolished in the early 00s as part of the "make sure there's nothing interesting in CT act"

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/4491

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

There really does seem to have been some kind of concerted effort to make sure there's nothing interesting in Connecticut.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Cup Runneth Over posted:

There really does seem to have been some kind of concerted effort to make sure there's nothing interesting in Connecticut.

CT is what happens when you let generic suburban car culture 100% completely conquer a northeast state. there's nothing there and the people who live there don't care as long as they can drive to dunkin donuts and then drive back home

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/pareene/status/1475235380823736328

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

gently caress i wish i could unread that, holy poo poo

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/mnolangray/status/1475192235973136384

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

NYC is actually trying to turn a lot of streets into pedestrian only area's. Not enough of course, but hey progress!
Unrelated to cars being poo poo, but advertising needs to be extremely restricted compared to what it is today.

e: That photo is also extremely misleading, the road in the picture on the left is still there! They did close a stretch of broadway but 7th ave is still open to cars, and that pics on the left is showing 7th ave.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 18:04 on Dec 27, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol I saw a silverado, but it wasn't just a regular one for pussies, it was a TRAIL BOSS

it literally says trail boss by the taillights

lmao how embarrassing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

actionjackson posted:

lol I saw a silverado, but it wasn't just a regular one for pussies, it was a TRAIL BOSS

it literally says trail boss by the taillights

lmao how embarrassing

how did the tires get that muddy without the body getting dirty?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

special trail boss mud repelling paint

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 21:23 on Dec 27, 2021

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

e: That photo is also extremely misleading, the road in the picture on the left is still there! They did close a stretch of broadway but 7th ave is still open to cars, and that pics on the left is showing 7th ave.

The picture in the right shows cars on 7th Ave.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://i.imgur.com/zMbvFQK.mp4

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/bisexable/status/1475481252153147401

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
america bad. cars bad. also ppl do know that you're not always intended to make that move all in one swoop, right?? that's what the middle lane is for. and also that's getting out on the wrong entrance, you want to get out on the exit on the right.

but if traffic is real bad i'd just go right and flip a U-ey at the next light/intersection (legal or not). it'd probably be a lot faster

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

*glances left and floors accelerator until awd suv is upside down in ditch across 100ft of asphalt*

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

*glances left and floors accelerator until awd suv is upside down in ditch across 100ft of asphalt*
"They told me this was an all-terrain vehicle," I complain incoherently at the firefighters trying to pry me from my $64k hunk of crumpled steel.

Related:
https://twitter.com/QAGreenways/status/1475261398691180546
https://twitter.com/QAGreenways/status/1475283622353522688
Someone needs to give me a good mashup video of the ads vs. reality, where the former is all epic drifting and snow flying in slow motion against intense music and the latter is the pathetic reality of idiots unable to handle their metal murder machines.

The War on Cars had a decent episode a while back on the toxicity of car advertisements. Extreme emphasis on "freedom" and aggression, in stark contrast to the everyday reality of sitting frustrated and anxious in traffic.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

love driving home on the interstate, stuck behind two semis, and have a giant lifted Silverado with brights on 2 feet from my bumper.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

zegermans posted:

love driving home on the interstate, stuck behind two semis, and have a giant lifted Silverado with brights on 2 feet from my bumper.
tinted windows are cool + good plus they make baby bombers uncomfortable

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Xaris posted:

they actually suck rear end and make it impossible to tell if you can see me or if you’re going to blindly make a right through the crosswalk

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

90% of the bigass trucks and 100% of the luxury cars here have the darkest tints possible, boomers love that poo poo now the people on the street can’t even see them in their rolling castles

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

zegermans posted:

Solution is to just take the foot off the accelerator and place bets on whether the tailgater rages out before you roll to a stop. Just get their license plate number, first, if you're lucky enough to live in a state where front-mounted plates are required.

Xaris posted:

Tinted windows on a car should be treated like someone entering a bank with a ski mask and a shotgun. They scream "if I murder someone with my vehicle and flee, I want an extra degree of deniability that it wasn't me behind the wheel."

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Xaris posted:

tinted windows are bad and lovely and so are cars and gently caress you

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

i was picking something up the other day and drove on a main street in a pretty dense part of the city. i'm going at or very slightly below the speed limit the entire time, and eventually the driver of a huge pickup truck behind me starts flashing his brights and then honking at me. a few blocks later he guns it through the parking lane to get ahead and then runs a red light right in front of me.

i caught up to him a few blocks later; there was too much traffic to pull that poo poo again and all of his theatrics basically just put him ten feet ahead of where he would have been otherwise. no real point to this story other than that cars bring out the absolute worst in people, and there's nothing to be done other than destroying them all and casting them into the abyss

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

The War on Cars had a decent episode a while back on the toxicity of car advertisements. Extreme emphasis on "freedom" and aggression, in stark contrast to the everyday reality of sitting frustrated and anxious in traffic.
That reminds me of some posts about carjackings i saw on reddit:

That's me. If my car happens to get stolen in the next week I won't have rent. Things are just things, but I have to defend this thing to sustain my livelihood. It's at the front of my mind every night, I carry self defense, & I leave myself room to maneuver every time I stop.

I'm flirting with homelessness & if I lose my car, I'm hosed. I'm of the situation where I'll absolutely get shot over my car & I hate it.

After I wrote that, I actually looked up that a carjacking is covered by comprehensive insurance, so maybe I'm not in such a strife. However I'd imagine a lot aren't so fortunate to afford comprehensive for their car

Wow such freedom, mind body spirit

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

That guy isn't going to get shot over his car

Why do Americans believe they live in GTA Online

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

need an assault rifle to protect my children from 20-30 essential workers cars that drive by at any time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

i was picking something up the other day and drove on a main street in a pretty dense part of the city. i'm going at or very slightly below the speed limit the entire time, and eventually the driver of a huge pickup truck behind me starts flashing his brights and then honking at me. a few blocks later he guns it through the parking lane to get ahead and then runs a red light right in front of me.

i caught up to him a few blocks later; there was too much traffic to pull that poo poo again and all of his theatrics basically just put him ten feet ahead of where he would have been otherwise. no real point to this story other than that cars bring out the absolute worst in people, and there's nothing to be done other than destroying them all and casting them into the abyss

Reminds me of driving in Belgium. 2-lane motorway - I'm going 120 (the speed limit) in the right lane, someone else is overtaking me at around 130 in the left lane (normal). Some guy finds this too slow, undertakes us both on the hard shoulder at 140+.