Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Any other recent / new books in this vein that people would suggest? I just read this thinking it was a series but it's not a series yet and now I'm in the mood for more.

Sébastien De Castell's stuff (Greatcoats and Spellslinger) has the same sense of whimsy. Greatcoats has some issues but the characters are deeper.

R/Fantasy favorite Kings of the Wyld also has the same sense of fun to it as well.

I'll keep thinking on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How does it handle the footnotes

BananaNutkins posted:

I think they're appended to the end. I can't think of a better way to do it in pure audio.

This is how I read my first few Discworld books (read the book and then the footnotes all at once, afterwards) until I figured out that the footnotes in ebooks are direct links to the footnote in question. On one hand, half the footnotes are just a quick punchline, which would be fine to just throw in parentheses in-line with the story; on the other, sometimes you see a three paragraph footnote on dwarven history, and I think it’s ok to move those kind of things to the end. In the general sense, I guess it depends on how the author intended them to be read.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Been reading Behold! Humanity as a series and it's pretty neat. I enjoy the bright and somewhat upbeat future idea instead of the normal dystopian all is bleak and sad future idea.

It's got some pretty goddamn weird subcultures in there though like kawaii 40k marines, etc.

i read this too lol. i love the kawaii Marines because the hilarious part is while there are people out there using SUDS to roleplay 40k, the various Idiots are latent psychics from the glassing of Terra who have permanent psychotic rage both from mat-trans overuse and being alive and hearing the death scream at the time permanently overwriting their consciousness lol. there was a real Terran imperium and a real digital omnissiah, so these insane old warriors kind of confuse it with 40k lol

some of that is from the side stories that aren't published in the main volumes (yet) so I spoilered but it's whatever. anyway, I really love that stupid setting. It has every trope you can think of lovingly crafted into something that doesn't feel like a joke.

the universe is a dark forest, but humanity has been glassed and genocided (sometimes by themselves) so many times that they've collectively decided the only solution is to be such a burning bright beacon that nobody like that can hide. I love it lol.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.amazon.com/Friday-Black-Nana-Kwame-Adjei-Brenyah/dp/1328911241

If we are talking literary science-fiction, I would like to recommend Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah's debut collection, "Friday Black". While not all of it is outright science fiction, most of the stories take place in near-future dystopias (or far-futures ones), and the rest arguably count as slipstream / magical realism. The final story, "Through the flash", is a dark take on Groundhog Day, about a town who has been stuck for thousands of years in a loop of the final day before they get nuked and how people try to find meaning in such an existence. I love time-loop stories, and this is by far one of the best examples of the genre I've read. Highly recommended.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

Another Dirty Dish posted:

This is how I read my first few Discworld books (read the book and then the footnotes all at once, afterwards) until I figured out that the footnotes in ebooks are direct links to the footnote in question. On one hand, half the footnotes are just a quick punchline, which would be fine to just throw in parentheses in-line with the story; on the other, sometimes you see a three paragraph footnote on dwarven history, and I think it’s ok to move those kind of things to the end. In the general sense, I guess it depends on how the author intended them to be read.

A lot of Pratchett's footnotes, especially in the earlier books, are punchlines that are only really punchlines in the real world, rather than in the Discworld universe. I'd guess that's why those ones were footnotes instead of being in-line with the text.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Most of Pratchett's footnotes are context sensitive and meant to be read right after the mark. I don't think they're ever not on the same page as the mark in the pocketbooks, for good reason. I would want an audiobook narrator to go "... Footnote! Blablabla" in a slightly different intonation.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Now I'm wondering how the Thursday Next audiobooks, which I assume exist, handle the use of footnotes as a means of in-universe communication.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

thotsky posted:

Most of Pratchett's footnotes are context sensitive and meant to be read right after the mark. I don't think they're ever not on the same page as the mark in the pocketbooks, for good reason. I would want an audiobook narrator to go "... Footnote! Blablabla" in a slightly different intonation.

Honestly, pretty much every book I've read that had footnotes gets completely hosed if you move the footnotes to the end of the book, or even the end of the chapter -- they're meant to be read in context, and without that context you either can't make sense of the footnote, or lose important information about the text the footnote is attached to. The only exception is books where the footnotes are used as citations -- those are usually placed at the end of the chapter or the end of the book, but I've read a few nonfiction works where they were at the bottom of the page instead.

Pratchett is an easy example because he was one of the few popular contemporary fiction authors to actually use them extensively, but this is also the case with the footnotes in Cuppy, Brust, Fforde, Adams, Vance, and probably lots of others I'm forgetting -- move the footnotes out of their original context and you diminish the original text and render the footnotes largely nonsensical. This is also the case, in my experience, in works in translation where the footnotes are used to provide translator's notes; if it's important enough to the clarity of the text to be worth a footnote, it should be read in parallel with the text it annotates, not hundreds of pages later after you've finished the book.

Putting footnotes at the end of the file in ebooks is an awkward concession to the limitations of the format, but any reasonably modern e-reader should be able to display them inline (either properly at the bottom of the page, or as a popup when you tap the footnote marker, depending on both the reader and the file format), which is how they're meant to be read; and with EPUB3 footnote annotations you can even place them adjacent to the main body of the text in the underlying file, which the reader doesn't care about but makes editing them a lot easier.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Been reading Behold! Humanity as a series and it's pretty neat. I enjoy the bright and somewhat upbeat future idea instead of the normal dystopian all is bleak and sad future idea.

It's got some pretty goddamn weird subcultures in there though like kawaii 40k marines, etc.

This sounds like a fun chill-out read, but has it been published anywhere that isn't Amazon?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
/r/hfy

I have no idea what editing has gone into the amazon version.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

SimonChris posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Friday-Black-Nana-Kwame-Adjei-Brenyah/dp/1328911241

If we are talking literary science-fiction, I would like to recommend Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah's debut collection, "Friday Black". While not all of it is outright science fiction, most of the stories take place in near-future dystopias (or far-futures ones), and the rest arguably count as slipstream / magical realism. The final story, "Through the flash", is a dark take on Groundhog Day, about a town who has been stuck for thousands of years in a loop of the final day before they get nuked and how people try to find meaning in such an existence. I love time-loop stories, and this is by far one of the best examples of the genre I've read. Highly recommended.

Seconding this recommendation. The titular dystopic Black Friday story in particular was pretty drat funny. His satire is sharp

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 29, 2021

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Stuporstar posted:

Seconding this recommendation. The titular dystopic Black Friday story in particular was pretty drat funny. His satire is sharp

added to my wishlist, thanks again thread!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Teddybear posted:

Gonna steal this for a similar question — how do Pratchett audiobooks handle footnotes?

They're typically narrated immediately after the sentence or paragraph in which the footnote appears. The exact timing seems to vary depending on when it would flow best - which is to say, least intrusively. In practice, it works so well that they're almost invisible in most cases. The one exception I've seen to this was in Blackstone Audio's production of Thief of Time, which had a different narrator doing the footnotes in a way that made it clear that these were wry observations on the story and setting by an outside observer, and that worked surprisingly well.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If we’re doing humanity power fantasy, Alan Dean Foster’s A Call to Arms series is still a nice light read.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Welsper posted:

If we’re doing humanity power fantasy, Alan Dean Foster’s A Call to Arms series is still a nice light read.

I always enjoyed that one. In Star Trek terms humans are basically Klingons.. I think John Ringo did a series later on similar themes but well, no.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Does anyone have subscriptions to ongoing short story zines like Clarkesworld, Lightspeed, Analog etc? Any recommendations as to the most consistent /best? I want to start reading more short stories again. I used to just pick up “best of” collections but it occurred to me something shorter and more frequent/regular would be nice.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Blamestorm posted:

Does anyone have subscriptions to ongoing short story zines like Clarkesworld, Lightspeed, Analog etc? Any recommendations as to the most consistent /best? I want to start reading more short stories again. I used to just pick up “best of” collections but it occurred to me something shorter and more frequent/regular would be nice.

Most of the good ones are completely free. Clarkesworld for instance, you just go to the website every month.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
My subscriptions have lapsed but you've already named the ones I consider best: Lightspeed and Clarkesworld. When I read those I'm consistently happy with at least 50% of the stories in each issue.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Mythaxis is free to read online. They bought two of my stories recently ("Plague Rooster" and "The Third Martian Dick Temple") so naturally I think they're the very best semi-pro magazine on the market.

https://mythaxis.github.io/issue-25/plague-rooster.html

Daily Science Fiction is also free. They also bought the Dick Temple at full price.

https://dailysciencefiction.com/science-fiction/other-worlds-sf/sheila-marie-borideux/the-third-martian-dick-temple

Flash Fiction Online is a place to read free SWFA paid-rate flash fiction in multiple genres. I have piece with them called "Together We Will Burn Forever".

https://www.flashfictiononline.com/article/together-we-will-burn-forever/

Little Blue Marble is a Canadian SF magazine with a climate change theme that is also completely free to read online. They published a story of mine called "Arkushanangarushashutu."

https://littlebluemarble.ca/2019/04/05/arkushanangarushashutu/

MartingaleJack fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 30, 2021

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

ulmont posted:

I always enjoyed that one. In Star Trek terms humans are basically Klingons.. I think John Ringo did a series later on similar themes but well, no.

Oh, John Ringo, YES! :sickos:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

navyjack posted:

Oh, John Ringo, YES! :sickos:

In fairness the Posleen War first few books have much less bullshit than the rest of his oeuvre.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ulmont posted:

In fairness the Posleen War first few books have much less bullshit than the rest of his oeuvre.

Wasn't Eric S. Raymond involved in those as well? Probably why.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Kesper North posted:

Wasn't Eric S. Raymond involved in those as well? Probably why.

Dunno - not as a credited author certainly - but, uhh, I wouldn’t expect involving ESR to improve most things,

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo I haven’t thought about ESR in forever.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ulmont posted:

Dunno - not as a credited author certainly - but, uhh, I wouldn’t expect involving ESR to improve most things,

I don't remember him being much of one for graphic sex scenes, but I found his entirely ouvre so tedious that I barely remember. The only reason I did read it was because of loving free Baen ebooks in the early 2000s.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Are you sure you're not thinking of someone else? Eric S. Raymond is a wormy little computer guy who hasn't written any science fiction as far as I know, certainly not for Baen.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Blamestorm posted:

Beneath Ceaseless Skies is good if you like secondary-world fantasy.

Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet if you want to read something weird and literary but still within the broad sphere of speculative fiction.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe OP meant Eric Flint?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

withak posted:

Maybe OP meant Eric Flint?

Oh yes! That's the guy.

My bad.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Finished the Revelation Space series today with Absolution Gap and was disappointed that it falls back to the 5/10 or charitable 6/10 that Revelation Space was, rather than the middle books Chasm City and Redemption Ark which I really liked. Reynolds has always been in need of a more ruthless editor (who in SFF isn't) but this one reeeeally dragged and easily could have been half the size. As a conclusion to the whole series it was also a bit wtf:

Everything builds up to a deus ex machina in which we find out in literally the last 10 pages or so that some other alien race has been watching humans and will help protect them from the Inhibitors. The end. ("In the end, the children were rescued by... oh, let's say... Moe.") If I hadn't already read a bunch of his short stories in the same universe, especially Galactic North which already takes you into the future and shows you the greenfly (and was apparently published before the trilogy), I would have been very confused and very irritated. I still think it's a failing of the books because your big main trilogy should be able to stand on its own.

I did kind of like the fact that the second book really builds up the Inhibitor threat and you assume this one will be all apocalyptic confrontation, but of course it's all galactic light-speed travel time so what actually happens is that people in the outlying systems have vaguely heard about something nasty taking out civilisation closer to the core of human space in the last 50-100 years, which will presumably affect them eventually, but hey, that's way off in the future so it's not their problem here and now. Impossible not to read that and think of climate change now. But yeah, overall, that was a weird and disappointing end to an otherwise good trilogy and good fictional universe that I enjoyed the other books/stories in.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

ulmont posted:

That's basically the premise of Andre Norton's Star Soldiers, though the ending of that gets into some slightly uncomfortable rhetorical spaces.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Kesper North posted:

Oh yes! That's the guy.

My bad.

I don't think Ringo has ever collabed with Flint, except possibly in the most technical possible sense that both have contributed short stories to Honorverse anthologies. Ringo did collab with Weber on the Prince Roger series, which I confess is still an occasional guilty pleasure of mine.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Anshu posted:

I don't think Ringo has ever collabed with Flint, except possibly in the most technical possible sense that both have contributed short stories to Honorverse anthologies. Ringo did collab with Weber on the Prince Roger series, which I confess is still an occasional guilty pleasure of mine.

The space prince riding a dinosaur does xenephon is fun.

The Ringoesque his mother the queen has been mind hosed and is a sex and political puppet for her evil ex husband and his cronies bit is gross and entirely ruins the fun dumb vibe for me

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Gnoman posted:

That's basically the premise of Andre Norton's Star Soldiers, though the ending of that gets into some slightly uncomfortable rhetorical spaces.

Star Soldiers looks to be free on US kindle, if anyone else is interested.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Anshu posted:

He also collaborated with Tom Kratman on this loving thing.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

He also collaborated with Tom Kratman on this loving thing.

I was trying to ignore that, thanks.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
I'm reading Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell at the moment and I felt absolutely tricked after the first hundred pages for it being painfully slow and absolutely nothing like Piranesi.

I'm about 800 pages in now and firm of the belief that it's excellent for entirely different reasons. And I don't care two hoots for Regency-era gentlemen and haven't read any of the books being lampooned. I can see me recommending it to a lot of people.

Also, for being 1,200 pages long, it doesn't feel at all like a drag once everything starts to pick up. Sure, it's taking longer to read than a normal book, but I've read books half the length that have felt much longer (because they're terrible and I hate leaving books unfinished, so - death march).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I have a real soft spot for 500-1000 page books that are standalones. Like they really did it. Went out and wrote a whole epic without turning it into a trilogy. Ride or die.

Off the top of my head this includes:

Cyteen (the best)
Ash by Mary Gentle
Johnathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Orange Priory Tree or something, it's that huge dragon book I need to read
Basically everything by Guy Gavriel Kay (I should read any of this tbh)

e: Peter Hamilton gets a dishonorable mention for writing long books that are incredibly boring to me

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

e: Peter Hamilton gets a dishonorable mention for writing long books that are incredibly boring to me

I was just writing up a post about Pandora’s Star being one of the longest feeling books I’ve ever read, and this is from someone who’s read the Malazan series.

I tried Judas Unchained and just couldn’t make it more than 100 pages or so

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also for being a mega creep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kestral posted:

They're typically narrated immediately after the sentence or paragraph in which the footnote appears. The exact timing seems to vary depending on when it would flow best - which is to say, least intrusively. In practice, it works so well that they're almost invisible in most cases. The one exception I've seen to this was in Blackstone Audio's production of Thief of Time, which had a different narrator doing the footnotes in a way that made it clear that these were wry observations on the story and setting by an outside observer, and that worked surprisingly well.

All the Discworld novels are about to get new audiobooks with Seriously Pro Narrators to celebrate the 50th anniversary of The Carpet People. Hogfather is already out, narrated by Sian Clifford; the Witches novels read by Indira Varma are next up, along with Small Gods read by Andy Serkis. In all cases the footnotes will be read by Bill Nighy and Death will be voiced by Peter Serafinowicz.