Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I've been obsessed with mini/midi scale cars for a few weeks since getting the City Advent Calendar. Here are two sets of similar cars I've designed in the last few days based on the upcoming 2022 City sets:

The Christmas parade floats and Poinsettia Cart in the first shot are original things for an advent calendar idea. I'd probably drop the Poinsettia Cart in favor of another vehicle or parade float, it's the only minifig-scale thing there.

Those look amazing. I especially love the little parade float, the Formula 1 car, the cement truck and the tractor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I’m in a cabin on vacay. It’s been a minute since I bought a Lego set. Remind me:
Midnight Eastern? Or midnight pacific? (Boutique Hotel)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

More scale chat: it's funny to me that there's now two official "microfigures," the bigger ones that are two bricks tall and the ones based on a trophy mold that I've always considered "microfigure" but I guess are now called "nanofigures."

https://blog.minifigures.com/lego-microfigures-minifigures-nanofigures/

So does that mean that any set scaled for nanofigures is actually a nanoscale build and not "midi"? :v:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I've been obsessed with mini/midi scale cars for a few weeks since getting the City Advent Calendar. Here are two sets of similar cars I've designed in the last few days based on the upcoming 2022 City sets:

The Christmas parade floats and Poinsettia Cart in the first shot are original things for an advent calendar idea. I'd probably drop the Poinsettia Cart in favor of another vehicle or parade float, it's the only minifig-scale thing there.
These are fantastic! Huge fan of the locomotive, crane, and camper. I really liked the micro scale train set on the home alone tree and the way it was geared to spin around the tracks, really neat idea to bring these things to life. Would be really interesting to do a whole technics moving cityscape with these small vehicles. Eg gear driven planes taking off from the airport, train circling, vehicles driving around

Feenix posted:

I’m in a cabin on vacay. It’s been a minute since I bought a Lego set. Remind me:
Midnight Eastern? Or midnight pacific? (Boutique Hotel)

Midnight eastern if I recall correctly.

Great call, one of my favorite things to do on vacay is bring a large set to snap together while we chill out, it's so nice not having distractions and something fun to do in the room

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

xzzy posted:

More scale chat: it's funny to me that there's now two official "microfigures," the bigger ones that are two bricks tall and the ones based on a trophy mold that I've always considered "microfigure" but I guess are now called "nanofigures."

https://blog.minifigures.com/lego-microfigures-minifigures-nanofigures/

So does that mean that any set scaled for nanofigures is actually a nanoscale build and not "midi"? :v:
These are the kinds of great questions that leave me calling absolutely everything smaller-scale than minifig "microscale" as a catch-all.

In the LEGO Flickr sphere, it is fairly customary to do a retrospective collage at the end of a given year, so here's everything I built in 2021:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Those two houses are ace, the full moon in particular. Awesome.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I would buy the whole series. Lego grand canyon and all.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Did this architectural trend in Bolivia come up here yet?

https://imgur.com/gallery/JJuV8OL

I feel like these shapes, colors, and textures would translate incredibly well to Lego builds :swoon:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Munki posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/JJuV8OL

I feel like these shapes, colors, and textures would translate incredibly well to Lego builds :swoon:

poo poo, they already look like Lego builds

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Haha yeah that was my reaction too, they're almost Ninjago buildings already. Pretty awesome though

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Bad Munki posted:

The 2022 Wizard of Oz reboot is looking good...

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

finally, a grim fandango set to call my own

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Skios posted:

Those look amazing. I especially love the little parade float, the Formula 1 car, the cement truck and the tractor.

Here's some work in progress from messing around tonight, with anything that came to mind:

The '89 Batmobile doesn't really belong and isn't at the right scale, and I can't find a way to do its fins that I like.
This is another fin method I've tried that gets a better angle, but they're still not really right and it leaves an unsightly bar attachment on top of the car.

Prophet of Nixon fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Dec 31, 2021

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Should physical LEGO stores have the new modular tomorrow?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Yeah they'll have it. Couldn't hurt to call to make sure though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Should physical LEGO stores have the new modular tomorrow?

Yes, they should.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Are physical Lego stores open on NYD anywhere?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Futanari Damacy posted:

Are physical Lego stores open on NYD anywhere?

My local store will be open tomorrow. Most stores are in malls. If the mall is open, the store should be open. But there might be some malls that still close on NYD.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Waltzing Along posted:

My local store will be open tomorrow. Most stores are in malls. If the mall is open, the store should be open. But there might be some malls that still close on NYD.

Yeah, my local one will be closed. For a lot of things here they are only guaranteed two days off a year and they are Christmas Day and New Years Day.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I kicked my Lego addiction like a decade ago before I went away to college but after getting the Elf Club House set for Christmas I’m addicted again. I don’t have room to keep every set I build unboxed so does anyone have a good shelf suggestion for boxed Lego sets??

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah I called my local LEGO store and they said they're gonna have quite a few Boutique Hotels tomorrow. Think I'll try to go there when it opens and see if I can get one...

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Mini-Batmobile progress:

A little fragile but I think everything is legal. Not 100% on the clearance of the lower back fin areas.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Mini-Batmobile progress:

owns

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Thanks! I have ordered parts to test-build it... reasonably certain now that the fin area isn't going to completely work but I can test the rest and have some other bits to try stuff. It's 54 parts jammed into approximately a 4x9 stud area, so every tolerance is close or zero. Hopefully I can come back with some instructions in a week or so.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Got dat boutique hotel on order.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
A new year brings new sets, and new sets bring new pieces! Here are the two big standouts to me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
filth!

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

I want a 1x1 cheese wedge with a stud on the 2/3 side.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm throwing away all my legos brand building blocks because they have gone overboard with these pieces.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I want a 1x1 cheese wedge with a stud on the 2/3 side.

That'd be cool. My wish list pieces are still wedge tiles and a 1x1 grille slope.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Rather than all the different permutations of 1x2 brick, modified etc. they should use Ikea-style names for each individual piece

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Feenix posted:

Got dat boutique hotel on order.

:same:

But I got two ordered due to legos 20th century website that doesn't allow online cancellations because their shipping is too fast to allow someone to cancel an order immediately after not actually placing it but it going through anyway because whoever is running their website hasn't fixed it. Good job lego. Biggest toy company in the world can't run a proper webstore. Sigh.

Now I have to waste a bunch of time trying to get a duplicate order cancelled. Actually, not a true duplicate. An order that I didn't authorize or hit the complete button, whatever, that went through anyway.

In short, if you place an order, don't hit the paypal button because the order just goes through automatically without taking you to a confirmation page. Use the other button and then choose paypal as an option.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Mini-Batmobile progress:

A little fragile but I think everything is legal. Not 100% on the clearance of the lower back fin areas.

Honestly how the gently caress.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I’d order now but I’m sure my 1 year old would eat it instantly

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

sigher posted:

Honestly how the gently caress.

These are the important bits. Not sure if the pin holder in the front will have enough clutch in the weird spacebrick, but there are a few other ways to get that effect, I like the pin holder since it spans the entire gap and supports other pieces to its left and right. The rest you should be able to figure from the other pic. I think the pair of clips holding the fins are gonna have to go up one plate, but switching the roof tile to a plate makes it blend in, and adding a 1x1 plate to the underside of each fin will flush them back to the 4x4 round. Gonna order a "patch" set of parts tomorrow to prepare for that eventuality.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Not sure if the pin holder in the front will have enough clutch in the weird spacebrick

Had a quick play around with some of those that I had in arms reach and I think it should be okay? It's not the strongest connection ever but it can support more weight than that.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Had a quick play around with some of those that I had in arms reach and I think it should be okay? It's not the strongest connection ever but it can support more weight than that.

Thanks!

Instructions here:
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-96780/mattking4/advent-style-batmobile-89/#details

Prophet of Nixon fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 1, 2022

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

In short, if you place an order, don't hit the paypal button because the order just goes through automatically without taking you to a confirmation page. Use the other button and then choose paypal as an option.
Paypal seems broken on their website. I used a bunch of VIP coupons from black friday (i think) to get an additional discount. Lego website shows the discounted price, my Paypal payed for the full amount without the discount...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

We had christmas last night because my wife was out of town. Santa was good to me this year.