Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Happy New Year goons! I'll be mounting my 85" QN90A shortly after the new year and want to get all the wires in place up front. I've been out of the game for a decade, what's the correct HDMI cables to get with the future in mind? Would the one linked below be the right to grab?

https://www.amazon.com/48Gbps-Snowk...aps%2C72&sr=8-3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

At that price I have to wonder if they're legit. Current spec is murky at best, it is in fact 2.1 48gbps you want but you have to be careful what you're buying, especially on counterfeitzon

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I bought these for my CX, and they have worked great for high refresh 4k.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S196T4Z?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-ypp-rep_ypp_rep_k0_1_6

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

codo27 posted:

At that price I have to wonder if they're legit. Current spec is murky at best, it is in fact 2.1 48gbps you want but you have to be careful what you're buying, especially on counterfeitzon

Got it, makes sense! As my set only has 1 2.1 port, should I be worried about the other 3 cables and just grab whatever for those?

Enos Cabell posted:

I bought these for my CX, and they have worked great for high refresh 4k.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S196T4Z?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-ypp-rep_ypp_rep_k0_1_6

Appreciate the recommendation, will go with these to avoid the above problem mentioned.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Enos Cabell posted:

That's also nice because you can leave the PS5 input on game mode.

Do the CX have a Game Mode setting? I thought that was just on the C1.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

Do the CX have a Game Mode setting? I thought that was just on the C1.

Yeah, the CX still has game mode in Picture settings. C1 adds something called Game Optimizer which does some other stuff too, but I'm not 100% on what all it does beyond the CX.

e: for reference, here are the recommended gaming settings for both the C1 and CX

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/ixhy39/lg_cx_gamingpc_monitor_recommended_settings/

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 30, 2021

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

TraderStav posted:

Happy New Year goons! I'll be mounting my 85" QN90A shortly after the new year and want to get all the wires in place up front. I've been out of the game for a decade, what's the correct HDMI cables to get with the future in mind? Would the one linked below be the right to grab?

https://www.amazon.com/48Gbps-Snowk...aps%2C72&sr=8-3

For a 10 foot run, I’d pony up a few more dollars for a ‘Certified Ultra High Speed’ cable. Linus Tech Tips did a video recently testing HDMI cables and found that pretty much any cable was fine for ~6 feet or less, but quality really fell off from 10 feet and up. Certified ones at least go through an authorized test center first.

https://youtu.be/XFbJD6RE4EY

Maybe like this?
Monoprice 8K Certified Braided Ultra High Speed HDMI 2.1 Cable - 10 Feet - Black | 48Gbps, Compatible with Sony PS5, Microsoft Xbox Series X & Series S https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08X6VZSH3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_88E1KV7FGAFKQ4H61VE8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Monoprice didn’t do so hot in the video but I don’t think he was testing any certified cables of theirs.

E: Kinda beaten but the video and cable info are still pertinent.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 30, 2021

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
My 2019 Vizio has started acting up. Some of the dimming zones will randomly go dim. It's like a rectangular splotch. It comes and goes, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it's dead. I'm looking at the LG C1. If I buy one now will I regret it? Do we know anything about next year's model? Are these things unknowable?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

TomR posted:

My 2019 Vizio has started acting up. Some of the dimming zones will randomly go dim. It's like a rectangular splotch. It comes and goes, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it's dead. I'm looking at the LG C1. If I buy one now will I regret it? Do we know anything about next year's model? Are these things unknowable?

They're announcing them literally next week, they've been leaking little bits out ahead of CES, that said anything they do announce probably won't be actually available until spring.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

qirex posted:

They're announcing them literally next week, they've been leaking little bits out ahead of CES, that said anything they do announce probably won't be actually available until spring.

Thank you. I may be able to ride out random blotchy TV for a few months.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cable Matter or Startech for any cable I buy all day long. We only used those two brands in the SSD test lab I worked in because they never gave us issues.

I ran these Cable Matters 10 footers through my wall. Nice and thick, color coded and zero issue in the year they've been there
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-3-Pack-48Gbps-Support/dp/B084RFQPSP

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I got a 5 pack of the 48gbps HDMI cables from Infinite Cables (that were recommended here in some gamer video or something) and they have been great. They arrived in NorCal from Toronto area within a few days as well.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 30, 2021

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks everyone, really appreciate it. Want to get everything squared away properly before hanging it up on my wall and not touching it for a long while.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
How does hooking multiple hdmi components to a tv and a sound bar generally work? Will I need to get a switcher if I hook it up via hdmi or do most people just hook it up through optical cable?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kithyen posted:

How does hooking multiple hdmi components to a tv and a sound bar generally work? Will I need to get a switcher if I hook it up via hdmi or do most people just hook it up through optical cable?

You hook up the soundbar to the HDMI port on your TV marked Audio Return Channel (ARC), then plug everything else into the television set's remaining inputs.

Depending on how reliable CEC is with your soundbar, when you turn on the TV the soundbar will turn on and switch to ARC if it isn't already on it.
After which, whatever input or app you select, the TV will send the audio data back through the HDMI ARC to your soundbar.
You may or may not need to adjust the audio delay, and some soundbars will include an HDMI input of their own to pass through to the TV.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
LG's research wing announced OLED EX, which uses deuterium to help the panel achieve 30% greater brightness.

But this will probably take a while to filter down so you should be good upgrading this year.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They said by the later half of 2022, their entire production will be EX panels.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Isn't this what is used for the current G1?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

serebralassazin posted:

Isn't this what is used for the current G1?

No, that's referred to as the Evo panel, which boosts brightness by 20% rather than 30%.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

LG's research wing announced OLED EX, which uses deuterium to help the panel achieve 30% greater brightness.

https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1476522501513617408
https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1476522835183116289

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rolling a d20 to detect marketing bullshit...

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

bull3964 posted:

They said by the later half of 2022, their entire production will be EX panels.

What was the point of spinning up a production line for the Evo panels then?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Space Racist posted:

What was the point of spinning up a production line for the Evo panels then?

There are rumors about Samsung buying 1.5 million panels.

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:
New Hisense showed up today (U6G, 65”, from Costco). Glad we got it delivered, the box is hilariously large. Now I’m trying to figure out if I need to move the mount down a few inches before we try putting it on the wall
:thunk:

Also it only came with these teeny little placeholder mounting screws, so I had to go pick up a mounting hardware kit from Best Buy. Almost bought an 8ft HDMI cable for $40 (30% off!) until I checked prices online.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

Mister Facetious posted:

You hook up the soundbar to the HDMI port on your TV marked Audio Return Channel (ARC), then plug everything else into the television set's remaining inputs.

Depending on how reliable CEC is with your soundbar, when you turn on the TV the soundbar will turn on and switch to ARC if it isn't already on it.
After which, whatever input or app you select, the TV will send the audio data back through the HDMI ARC to your soundbar.
You may or may not need to adjust the audio delay, and some soundbars will include an HDMI input of their own to pass through to the TV.

Thank you so much. That helps. Is there any downside to using optical as opposed to HDMI for the audio. From what I’ve read it can only do dts and Dolby digital but if you are using a sound bar does that matter?

Also any recommendations for a sound bar? Preferably below 500 dollars.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

qirex posted:

Is there a good source for news on this stuff? I'm thinking about getting a new TV since I'm still rocking a 2013 Samsung 3dtv. Sad that it's not even an option to get 3d on newer screens. A lot of stuff I've looked at can do 120hz which would be more than fast enough to use shutter glasses with if anyone still supported that.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Hdtvtest on YouTube covers major new developments and does great in depth reviews.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I was recently given a free 70 inch Sharp Aquos tv. It's an older model, 70LE745U. It's huge, it looks great to my peasant eyes, but it's got a problem.

It's actually not as bad as it looks in the pictures, but it's still pretty distracting. I'm guessing there's an LED in there that is dying or something. Does that seem right? Is this something that can be fixed affordably? If I'm willing to gently caress with solder, can I fix it myself?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Looks like led backlight strips for that TV go for about $90 on ebay, I'm not sure how many it actually has and if this would only require one strip to replace.

It should be relatively easy to pop the back cover off and see if the backlight is easily accessible or not and evaluate from there.

The fact that the blob is irregular gives me pause as to if it's a backlight issue or a panel issue, or a diffuser issue.

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:

Kithyen posted:

Thank you so much. That helps. Is there any downside to using optical as opposed to HDMI for the audio. From what I’ve read it can only do dts and Dolby digital but if you are using a sound bar does that matter?

Also any recommendations for a sound bar? Preferably below 500 dollars.

Also wondering about this. I think our sound bar sounded fine with optical on our old TV, but I have a spare HDMI cable for it if that would make much difference. We mostly watch stuff after our kid is in bed, so we can’t really crank it anyways.

I got a Samsung sound bar with a wireless subwoofer for $250 CAD on sale and it’s pretty good. The sub really helps fill in the soundstage

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Heya.. We got an LG C1 and LG SP11RA sound bar in a boxing day thing. Was a really nice upgrade after nearly 15 years of the same TV.

What I like is that the LG Magic Remote controls practically everything - the xbox, the playstation, the apple tv, the sound bar volume.. I don't need a receiver or a Logitech Harmony remote to do everything.

But there's one thing I can't figure out.. The tv only has four inputs, and one of them is taken by the sound bar. So okay the Nintendo Switch plugs into one of the sound bar's HDMI ports instead of the tv.

The problem is, when I switch to HDMI 2, the TV knows that's the sound bar, but it doesn't actually display any video until I walk over to the sound bar itself and press the input button on it. Only then does the HDMI video from the sound bar appear on the TV.

How on earth do I do that using only the Magic Remote? I really don't want to put batteries into the receiver's remote just for that one tiny thing :(

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah I haven't figured that one out either, though to be honest I never actually checked the literature for the remote that came with my tvs. :effort:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Does the sound bar have optical? I'd use that over HDMI and free up the extra input on the tv.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah I haven't figured that one out either, though to be honest I never actually checked the literature for the remote that came with my tvs. :effort:

The manuals are pretty sparse, unfortunately :(

Enos Cabell posted:

Does the sound bar have optical? I'd use that over HDMI and free up the extra input on the tv.

It does, but my understanding is that optical won’t support all the modern audio formats

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Snackmar posted:

It does, but my understanding is that optical won’t support all the modern audio formats

Are soundbars good enough these days that you'd be able to tell the difference?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

prom candy posted:

Are soundbars good enough these days that you'd be able to tell the difference?

Oh I guess i was assuming that it would mean i’d hear nothing, at all, rather than a slightly degraded experience.. like if the movie i i’m watching has only a dts-hd 7.1 track i thought it would be blank over optical. (also sound bar does feel like a bit of a misnomer because this unit does have external subwoofer and rear speakers but i take your point)

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Snackmar posted:

Oh I guess i was assuming that it would mean i’d hear nothing, at all, rather than a slightly degraded experience.. like if the movie i i’m watching has only a dts-hd 7.1 track i thought it would be blank over optical. (also sound bar does feel like a bit of a misnomer because this unit does have external subwoofer and rear speakers but i take your point)

DTS-HD always contains a lossy DTS track as well, I think the same goes for Dolby, so you should be good

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Yes, both DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD use the core DTS/DD lossy encoding (which can be transported over S/PDIF optical or coax) as a base and include an additional bitstream with the rest of the information that the lossy encoder discarded (which cannot be transported over S/PDIF) so it can degrade gracefully for older systems which only support the core codecs.

That said, you may need to configure your media player and/or TV to only output the core codec bitstream when playing back a newer lossless encoding. My TV's firmware is not smart enough to do this, nor was the base firmware of my Shield TV box, but Kodi will do it well if you configure the audio passthrough settings to only allow plain DTS and DD.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
It’s worth saying that Dolby Digital AC-3 is *really* lossy (I think it’s 448 Kbps for a full 5.1 audio stream), so it’s a not insignificant degradation in sound quality if you go optical-only compared to getting lossless formats like PCM or Dolby TrueHD. It may also affect surround output for your other devices, e.g. I think the Switch only does PCM 5.1 surround sound which would be forced into 2.0 if you go optical only.

That said the big difference to check for is if your sound bar is using eARC or just regular ARC. If it’s the latter, then optical isn’t a huge difference in bandwidth anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Space Racist posted:

That said the big difference to check for is if your sound bar is using eARC or just regular ARC. If it’s the latter, then optical isn’t a huge difference in bandwidth anyway.

ARC/eARC only applies to HDMI transport, not S/PDIF optical/coax.