Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

wouldn't he just glamour himself like the emperor and appear as a chill normal dude

edit: how you doing fellow normies, I've just been backpacking around the obscuras sector for 10,000 years can I interest you in worshiping the emperor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

lorgar coming back would be real awkward considering he's a daemon prince and all

If saints are the imperial version of demon princes he could turn into a saint or something, which would be fitting.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Inspector_666 posted:

30k Lorgar was kind of chill as far as Primarchs go, though, isn't he? I mean, he's one of the few who didn't let their home world stay a horrible feral/death world.

Him being "redeemed" is also probably the most viable and interesting, too.

yeah i kinda like lorgar. he is just a dude with a really lovely dads who is desperate for his faith in something bigger to be validated so he takes his overly loyal kids and his weird dickhead step dads and finds hell and since its real and gods totally wouldnt lie he bends the knee.

basically lorgar in a nutshell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du0buC_H0CQ

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

lorgar coming back would be real awkward considering he's a daemon prince and all

"The Emperor granted Blessed Sanguinius wings, He has granted Blessed Lorgar an Angelic countenance. Who are you to question Him?"

It's still really stupid and there's zero reason to redeem a Daemon Primarch when they've all spent the last 10k years being just The Worst. Except Alpharius, who has spent the last 10k years doing absolutely nothing of note; ffs the Sons of the Hydra may as well have never existed for how much they matter to the metaplot.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Also I'm reading Alpharius and if I had spent money on it I would be mad about how dumb it is.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I still want a dual release of Daemon Primarch Fulgrim and Loyalist Painting Fulgrim and have them both running around trying to kill each other.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

PupsOfWar posted:

Tired: is Die Hard a Christmas movie?

Wired: is The Carrion Throne a Christmas book?

The Carrion Throne is a Christmas book.

Lukas the Trickster is also a Christmas book.

MariusLecter posted:

I remember reading that the haemonculus wanted to fight their way into the throne room to get "just a sliver" of the emperor's delicious soul (10k years of dry aged ultimate suffering) before the Inquisition, Custodes and other forces killed them.

Like this meme.

The sequel has them talking to a member of the Ordo Xenos who theorizes that the Golden Throne and the mass suffering on Terra combined got the haemonculus high as gently caress. This is very important to me and I will not have it forgotten, because it is hilarious.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I do not understand any desire to redeem back a Demon Primarch, but especially Lorgar, whose entire Legion including him have been basic bitch dickheads in every content they’ve ever been in, ever.

Erebus is only notable in that he managed to spread the dickheadery to everyone else, otherwise he’s entirely on brand.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Relevant Tangent posted:

Also I'm reading Alpharius and if I had spent money on it I would be mad about how dumb it is.

What’s dumb about it?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

IshmaelZarkov posted:

I still want a dual release of Daemon Primarch Fulgrim and Loyalist Painting Fulgrim and have them both running around trying to kill each other.

gently caress yes, I didn't know how much I wanted this.

They've been laying groundwork for this for a while, but daemon primarch Fulgrim killing Lucius the Eternal could accomplish it without all the clone bodies or the soul painting. Just have some junk about how the primarch's soul overwhelming Lucius's transformation.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Atrocious Joe posted:

IGN recently asked Cavill what Warhammer character he wants to play, and he avoided giving a straight answer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN25UkWP1CM

Makes me wonder if there are some discussions going on. Who knows if anything will happen though. Has there been any news about the Eisenhorn show since the announcement in 2019?

If they're smart they have him engaged as both executive producer and lead on whatever project they end up doing. I wouldn't be surprised if that's where the discussion is right now; what story do they blow their load on. Having Cavill on as lead and producer basically gives them an A-lister for free starring in the project.

If it bombs they aren't out his salary and if it makes money both parties will make away like bandits.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Miguel Prado posted:

What’s dumb about it?

I liked the fight with the Slaugh. Alpharius does a piss poor job of what he thinks is his role especially during the Heresy. Too easily seduced by Horus's nonsense. It wasn't awful but considering how integral to the setting the Primarchs are setting the bar higher than mediocre seems fair.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So you're saying Alpharius comes across as a dupe whose bad at his job?

Just. As. Planned. :psyduck:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Relevant Tangent posted:

"The Emperor granted Blessed Sanguinius wings, He has granted Blessed Lorgar an Angelic countenance. Who are you to question Him?"

It's still really stupid and there's zero reason to redeem a Daemon Primarch when they've all spent the last 10k years being just The Worst. Except Alpharius, who has spent the last 10k years doing absolutely nothing of note; ffs the Sons of the Hydra may as well have never existed for how much they matter to the metaplot.

It's legitimately hilarious, in a good way, to me that all the alpha legion "just as planned" poo poo amounts to them loving around and accomplishing nothing of note for ages

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Deptfordx posted:

So you're saying Alpharius comes across as a dupe whose bad at his job?

Just. As. Planned. :psyduck:

That guy's tombstone has "Just as planned" inscribed deeply upon it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Considering that’s the crux of the Alpha Legion hubris storyline, seems fine? Their core conceit is they think they’re the puppet master but in the grand scheme they’re just more pawns of the Chaos Gods. Delusion of the self is the worst kind.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Shockeh posted:

Considering that’s the crux of the Alpha Legion hubris storyline, seems fine? Their core conceit is they think they’re the puppet master but in the grand scheme they’re just more pawns of the Chaos Gods. Delusion of the self is the worst kind.

It's great! It works perfectly for their themes IMO

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Kaal posted:

That guy's tombstone has "Just as planned" inscribed deeply upon it.

Well, one of his tombstones.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Im almost out of black library books that I want to read and I don’t like it.

Horusian wars good?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Miguel Prado posted:

Im almost out of black library books that I want to read and I don’t like it.

Horusian wars good?

Yes, I like it a lot.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

D-Pad posted:

Yes, I like it a lot.

seconded

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm absolutely loving The Unremembered Empire; it feels like a real climax point of the series, as opposed to a lot of the books that just feel like they're spinning their wheels.

However, not a single book in this drat series has made me care about John Grammaticus or any of the perpetuals. Every scene with John just grinds my interest to a halt.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I'm absolutely loving The Unremembered Empire; it feels like a real climax point of the series, as opposed to a lot of the books that just feel like they're spinning their wheels.

However, not a single book in this drat series has made me care about John Grammaticus or any of the perpetuals. Every scene with John just grinds my interest to a halt.

Nah, there's at least one perpetual I'm pretty sure you care about and look forward to scenes with them in it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

It’s comic book garbage iyam. It really does not belong

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Telsa Cola posted:

Nah, there's at least one perpetual I'm pretty sure you care about and look forward to scenes with them in it.

Huh, obviously the Emperor is a perpetual, but there's another character I didn't realize until I googled it just now. That sort of explains another plot point of Unremembered Empire.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
How long is the Siege of Terra chronologically?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

FPyat posted:

How long is the Siege of Terra chronologically?

About 5 minutes

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

notaspy posted:

About 5 minutes

It's a pretty insane time frame from the first warp translations sent in by Perturabo to get obliterated by Sol system defenses meat grinder to create a foothold and the palace being under siege with the Emperor contemplating absolute defeat until Horus let's down the Vengeful Spirits shields.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/693916479120212009/926250549236625458/The_Emperor.mp4

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Lorgar seems the least likely Traitor Primarch to be redeemed. Guy went whole hog on Chaos worship harder then any Primarch.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Just fighting their way into Earth orbit takes the traitors weeks, and that's with a custom one-shot warp gate built into a comet letting them outflank the loyal fleet. They have to pull out all the stops because this is the most heavily fortified system in the Galaxy that has had months to prepare.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Grammaticus worked in Legion and nowhere else. Oll works as part of the Ollanius Pius legend but not really in conjunction with John. The whole Perpetual concept just seems needless, but I don’t hate it as much as some people do.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I understand why everybody hates it but I actually really like the perpetual plot.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Lorgar seems the least likely Traitor Primarch to be redeemed. Guy went whole hog on Chaos worship harder then any Primarch.

He did, but he went whole hog due to chaos filling his godly needs better, something which could have changed now after the rift and 10000 years of fanatic faith transforming the emperor into a warp diety. Also the thing where he invented the current imperial faith and this future fits his old vision like a glove.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
The archetype of Lorgar being the prodigal son who is brought back into the fold makes some decent thematic sense, but as he's written the character is totally irredeemable, fundamentally untrustworthy, and absolutely should be put down. He'd need to perform a pretty potent miracle for readers to take his redemption arc seriously, like being responsible for healing the Emperor.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kaal posted:

The archetype of Lorgar being the prodigal son who is brought back into the fold makes some decent thematic sense, but as he's written the character is totally irredeemable, fundamentally untrustworthy, and absolutely should be put down. He'd need to perform a pretty potent miracle for readers to take his redemption arc seriously, like being responsible for healing the Emperor.

This is true of all the demon primarchs outher than Fulgrim, and he only gets an out because of that whole demon possession thing.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

D-Pad posted:

I understand why everybody hates it but I actually really like the perpetual plot.

Yea I like it too, its an obvious extension of the emperor existing + the original sensei background stuff so its fun IMO. Plus they seem to be getting rid of most of em, though if any pop up in the new timeline I'll be like woah sick!!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Am I dumb or isn't the "Miracle" of St Celestine that she's a perpetual?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

IIRC Saints are more of a spontaneous psychic event while perpetuals are just weirdos

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

moths posted:

Nope! Read her book. Her resurrections are not guaranteed. Every time she dies she wakes up in the warp with no memories and has to fight her way across a warp hellscape slowly gathering her memories and strength/powers and only being able to resurrect if she succeeds.

It's actually an incredibly lovely existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Khizan posted:

This is true of all the demon primarchs outher than Fulgrim, and he only gets an out because of that whole demon possession thing.

Did they not retcon this recently? Like Fulgrim is really himself, he was able to trick the demon and switch places with it in the painting. That book with the weird buttplug plot. So even Fulgrim is totally irredeemable too