Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

was the replacement mat cauthon announced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

yeah and he's apparently good at comedy, so we'll see. It was their 2nd choice for mat

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Yeah, it's Dónal Finn. No relation to the Ael or Eel, AFAIK.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Finished the 3rd season of the last kingdom and all I can say is we need more cast members of the last kingdom in WOT. Yes I know sihtric is going to be Masema but I need more. Uhtred, finan, king Alfred. Hild. Bring ‘em on.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

https://twitter.com/iamdanielmalik/status/1476645744681664512

While this isn't an official announcement:

1) He was a popular fancast
2) He has worked with the network before (on The Expanse)
3) He isn't a high payroll actor
4) He is free right now
5) If nothing else, this post expresses strong interest in the roll
6) Its unlikely they have someone else for the roll unless Taim makes a season 2 appearance, and the roll is unlikely to be cut or merged

Unless he has major conflicts with the show's crew this is basically as good as confirmed.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
That dude looks like a loving Taim alright. I'm in.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

What a smug looking rear end in a top hat.

He's perfect.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
My favorite part of Sword of Truth was that the final battle was a game of American Football… to the death! And the John Galt, author self insert character was the best football player ever. And the game lasted like 100+ pages and I skimmed the entire thing.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

th3t00t posted:

My favorite part of Sword of Truth was that the final battle was a game of American Football… to the death! And the John Galt, author self insert character was the best football player ever. And the game lasted like 100+ pages and I skimmed the entire thing.

Lol are you serious? A football game?

Everyone was always constantly getting kidnapped and being made to do weird poo poo.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

He was always the best at everything, reminded me of that Sanderson trash way of kings.

I read 2 of those, did they get any better?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

How are u posted:

That dude looks like a loving Taim alright. I'm in.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

th3t00t posted:

Yeah and their unbeatable super strategy was to form up in a line astern and act as a human battering ram.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

th3t00t posted:

Wait, I also stopped after magic statue brought peace to the world. Are you saying there was something Richard Rahl was not the best in the world at?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Pleads posted:

What a smug looking rear end in a top hat.

He's perfect.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Harton posted:

He was always the best at everything, reminded me of that Sanderson trash way of kings.

I'm not sure you read any of them if that's what you took from it.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Harton posted:

What character in Way of Kings is the best at everything?

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Main dude is a total Gary Stu.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Sanderson isn’t great, Mistborn was ok but definitely young adult level. I feel like Sanderson writes kids books for the most part.

HOT TAKE!

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Harton posted:

Main dude is a total Gary Stu.

How, though? He's hyper-competent at like one thing because he's unconsciously using magic, but he's also chronically depressed, suffering from PTSD/survivor's guilt, and his coping mechanisms for both regularly gently caress his life up.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

He’s just always doing the right thing and the most perfect moral person. At least from what I remember. Maybe I’ll read the whole thing over again when it’s actually finished but he was so loving boring as a character. I didn’t even read them that long ago and I can’t remember a single other character from either book.

I bounced off the whole thing pretty hard.

Sanderson is just too clean for me. Like a hospital room all white and sanitized.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Harton posted:

He’s just always doing the right thing and the most perfect moral person. At least from what I remember. Maybe I’ll read the whole thing over again when it’s actually finished but he was so loving boring as a character. I didn’t even read them that long ago and I can’t remember a single other character from either book.

Sanderson is just too clean for me. Like a hospital room all white and sanitized.

Yeah you must of really skimmed like 99% of it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Harton posted:

Uh, this really doesn't describe any of the characters in the books except for maybe a surface read of Dalinar? Because all the main characters do something horrible and immoral during book one or two and really gently caress up.

I get bouncing off Sanderson for a lot of reasons but this one seems sort of nonsensical unless it was boring you and you were skimming most of the book.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Maybe it was just so bad I can’t remember but I deffo read the first 2 books. I’m not sure why anyone would “skim” a book, that seems real dumb and bad.

What hosed up thing does kaladin do? I honestly don’t remember.

Why did zero characters leave an impression on me after 2 books?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Harton posted:

I mean, that doesn't make a character a Gary Stu or "the best at everything"...but that's beside the point since it doesn't describe any character in the series, including Kaladin.

I'm not saying Sanderson is the greatest writer and yeah his stuff can be too clean (in multiple ways), but that's just such a wild reading of that character.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Let's not spoil a different series in this thread. I still haven't gotten around to Stormlight Archive, but many of my friends sing its praises.

Here's a spoiler for Sword of Truth though: It suuuuucks. One of the only books I bought and just threw away once I realized how bad they were. I made the dumb decision to buy the first three books at once.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Devorum posted:

I mean, that doesn't make a character a Gary Stu or "the best at everything"...but that's beside the point since it doesn't describe any character in the series, including Kaladin.

I'm not saying Sanderson is the greatest writer and yeah his stuff can be too clean (in multiple ways), but that's just such a wild reading of that character.

Yeah maybe I just don’t remember the book but Sanderson is still pretty sterile. He finished WOT and I appreciate him for that but his only real engaging writing is when he’s describing weird magic fights in mistborn or Androl and his gates. And the gates thing didn’t really belong in wot but whatever it’s fine the books got finished.

What stood out to me the most in AMOL is when the epilogue hits and you can tell it’s just straight Jordan after reading a giant tome of Sanderson. It’s like a warm blanket or writing right at the end that reminds me of the rest of the series.

Still probably going to get around to audiobooks of storm light archive when it’s all wrapped up cause what the gently caress else is there to read am I right? After this show I’m debating going through Wot for a 4th time.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

MegaZeroX posted:

https://twitter.com/iamdanielmalik/status/1476645744681664512

While this isn't an official announcement:

1) He was a popular fancast
2) He has worked with the network before (on The Expanse)
3) He isn't a high payroll actor
4) He is free right now
5) If nothing else, this post expresses strong interest in the roll
6) Its unlikely they have someone else for the roll unless Taim makes a season 2 appearance, and the roll is unlikely to be cut or merged

Unless he has major conflicts with the show's crew this is basically as good as confirmed.

I think they'll cut that scene

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Rythian posted:

Let's not spoil a different series in this thread. I still haven't gotten around to Stormlight Archive, but many of my friends sing its praises.

Here's a spoiler for Sword of Truth though: It suuuuucks. One of the only books I bought and just threw away once I realized how bad they were. I made the dumb decision to buy the first three books at once.

I trudged through the 4th book. The series killed my "If I Start a Series, I Finish It" attitude.

Book 1: The best one? Faint praise, for sure. Starts off fine but goes off the rails around the time the BDSM Jedi show up and Richard flip-kicks a teenage girl's jaw off (this is portrayed as a moral act).

Book 2: Oops All Totally-Not-Whitecloaks

Book 3: Richard hunts for the Stone of Tears & gets captured by the Sisters of the Light, a sect of magic-user women who hunt and capture men who can use magic. They keep him for a while, then he discovers a Secret Evil Sect-Within-The-Sect who call themselves the Sisters of The Dark. I wish I was making this Wheel of Time copypasta up, but I am not. I don't remember how this dumpster fire ends.

Book 4: Richard's secret half-brother shows up and suddenly BDSM Jedi (they now work for Richard) start getting murdered mysteriously. Secret Brother is also a doctor and forensics expert and checks pulses by fingering women because that's totally normal. The Secret Brother is obviously the Jack the Ripper expy, but it takes everyone the entire book to figure it out. Other stuff happens, I don't remember what though. It took me six weeks to finish this book because it was such a slog.

Book 5+: ??? And an Evil Chicken. I think Richard murders a few hundred workers because they discuss organizing at one point (this is portrayed as a moral act).

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Lol

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

th3t00t posted:

And his strategy was amazingly bad. Like, however bad you're thinking of, it's almost certainly worse.

If I remember correctly, it was "Everybody stands in a straight line and puts their hands on the shoulders of the man in front of them, and they run forward like a giant battering ram, because nobody can stop that much momentum".

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Khizan posted:

And his strategy was amazingly bad. Like, however bad you're thinking of, it's almost certainly worse.

If I remember correctly, it was "Everybody stands in a straight line and puts their hands on the shoulders of the man in front of them, and they run forward like a giant battering ram, because nobody can stop that much momentum".

Lol like that doesn’t even make sense physically, wouldn’t you be kicking each other’s legs like crazy?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Harton posted:

Lol like that doesn’t even make sense physically, wouldn’t you be kicking each other’s legs like crazy?

Not if you run in step. Haven't you ever gotten right behind someone, like within their stride, to gently caress with one of your friends?

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Harton posted:

Maybe it was just so bad I can’t remember but I deffo read the first 2 books. I’m not sure why anyone would “skim” a book, that seems real dumb and bad.

What hosed up thing does kaladin do? I honestly don’t remember.

Why did zero characters leave an impression on me after 2 books?

In the second book he betrays his ideals, causing his best friend to die, and then he spends like half the book marinating in the depression of that. He then almost helps a murder happen, again a fundamental betrayal of his core ideal of "protect people."

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Ponsonby Britt posted:

In the second book he betrays his ideals, causing his best friend to die, and then he spends like half the book marinating in the depression of that. He then almost helps a murder happen, again a fundamental betrayal of his core ideal of "protect people."

Stormlight Archive is mostly about deeply flawed people and how they became that way due to trauma. It's got it's issues, but yeah it doesn't sound like they're the books for that poster.

socialsecurity posted:

Screw those other recommendations, dive into Sanderson straight away, I suggest starting with "Emperor's Soul" it's real short, self contained and gives you a good idea of what he's about.

As someone who does like Sanderson's style, but understands why other people don't...

I can say with all seriousness that story is his best work and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 31, 2021

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Ponsonby Britt posted:

drat I don’t remember any of that, maybe I only read the first one.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Making sweeping judgements about a book series having half remembered parts of it, and getting most of those half memories wrong, is very *very* on-brand for this thread, and I mean that without rancor.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I also just finished my reread, and doing New Spring after the main series makes it incredibly sad to read about Alanna's optimism and ambitions :smith:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I like this trend of Expanse actors auditioning for The Wheel of Time on twitter :toot:

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Dingleberry2 posted:

Wait, I also stopped after magic statue brought peace to the world. Are you saying there was something Richard Rahl was not the best in the world at?
No. Richard Rahl was the undisputed goat. Like half Michael Jordan, half Wayne Gretzky, half Joe Montana(gently caress that cheater Tom Brady). (yes this is a man-bear-pig reference)

Did Terry G even try to justify why people were willing to sacrifice themselves in the football game for Richard's benefit? Like the entire point of Objectivism is to be as selfish as possible right? There's no collective good for them to sacrifice themselves for, only their own personal benefit.

My eyes glazed over and I skimmed so many pages of those books towards the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

3/4 of the way done with "The Shadow Rising"

Gotta say, I'm enjoying the Perrin and Faile shenanigans in the Two Rivers more than the A plot with Rand and Matt.
The C plot with the girls looking for the black Ajah is easily the least interesting part of this book.