Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Motronic posted:

So that's what those things are called. So drat jealous. Post gloriously organized pics please.

They're beat up but I got a really really good deal on them and some accessories. However I still have to buy the 4-drawer racks for the drawers and each rack is $125. :negative:

I'll definitely post some pictures once I get things put together, because I have to to justify it. It's gonna be slick as gently caress though. My local hardware store uses these for all their small hardware and they're soooooooo nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

SpartanIvy posted:

They're beat up but I got a really really good deal on them and some accessories. However I still have to buy the 4-drawer racks for the drawers and each rack is $125. :negative:

I'll definitely post some pictures once I get things put together, because I have to to justify it. It's gonna be slick as gently caress though. My local hardware store uses these for all their small hardware and they're soooooooo nice.

I bought a few from Zoro with coupons years ago, might be worth checking them out.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I'm just gonna buy a bunch of 3 drawer packout boxes instead because I stay faithful to my red overlords.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

sharkytm posted:

I bought a few from Zoro with coupons years ago, might be worth checking them out.

I actually bought the racks from Zoro! Lowest price I could find but I didn't have a coupon. Do I need to sign up for coupons? The free coupon site codes didn't work.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I got a 15 percent off coupon in the mail today. Pm me.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Anyone ever tried converting a radial arm saw into a disc sander? Some poo poo rear end thrift store has one for $20 and I need a new project. Whaddya you tools think?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
It seems incredibly dangerous to me but I also want to see it tried.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Literally A Person posted:

Anyone ever tried converting a radial arm saw into a disc sander? Some poo poo rear end thrift store has one for $20 and I need a new project. Whaddya you tools think?

Assuming you're serious (I hope not) watch this first. Not exactly the same but table saws have alot of the same constraints.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jNFKI2LtdZI

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

SpartanIvy posted:

It seems incredibly dangerous to me but I also want to see it tried.

This was exactly my thinking. I mean I look at it and think to myself "looks like a partially exposed spinning plate to me :shrug:"

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 29, 2021

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

This was exactly my thinking. I mean I look at it and think to myself "looks like a partially exposed spinning plate to me :shrug:"

Take a look at: https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-10-table-saw-sanding-disc-mounting-plate

If the RA saw you're eyeing has the same size arbor it might work out of the box. A blade diameter difference might get funky but that'll depend on the saws shroud and table.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The big difference is that with a table saw the table is fairly close the the center of the blade and the blade is spinning towards the table so most of the force is pushing the workpiece down into the table. With a radial arm saw the table is very far from the center of the blade, and the force would be pushing the work straight back. Maybe it could be sort of safe if you used the fence as the table, but that doesn’t give you much room to maneuver? I would also guess the arbor on a radial arm saw spins much faster than a disk sander does and you might wind up burning the wood/sandpaper. Sanders can bite you, and bite you very badly. I sanded through the majority of two of my fingernails in about half a second on a big disk sander.

I would say not worth it and probably not able to be done safely. Trying to make radial arm saws do anything besides crosscut is when they hurt people. Keep your eye out for one of the ubiquitous delta combo disk/belt sanders. Smaller footprint, safer, doing what it was designed to do.

E: if you have a lathe, faceplate on the outboard side with PSA sandpaper and a shop built table works pretty well for a DIY disc sander and takes up basically no additional shop space.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I've used one with a grinder wheel and a buffer wheel, but that's not really in the same neighborhood. Maybe the dumbest thing I put on mine was a cutoff wheel because sparks and sawdust. The rotation is way loving faster than most disc sanders, no? I mean, you can turn the head 90° and put a fence behind it, sink the sander wheel into the table.....idk, just spitballin fingats here....

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I have decided to pass. I'll wait until a purpose built machine pops up used. Back to the junk stores for a new project...

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

What's the best tool you got in 2021?

My vote is the Bosch 18v Hackzall.

Probably not a recommendation for Bosch in particular. I imagine any cordless Hackzall/Handheld reciprocating saw gives pretty much the same functionality. But it's like having a lightsaber. I have a milwaukee corded Sawzall and I haven't pulled it out of the box since I got the little cordless one. Highly recommend this if you ever cut things.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sous Videodrome posted:

What's the best tool you got in 2021?

I know I'm super late to the part on these, but I finally got a battery angle grinder and it's awesome:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Thinking my favorite tool of 2021 was probably my Knipex wire strippers/electrical pliers. They're just so much better than every other Klien or whatever other brand I've used.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
2021 was filled with sick-rear end tools but having a loving drill press now is top rail number one as gently caress.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Two tools I bought this year that I use all the time now

M12 Rover flood light

Puts out a good amount of light and lasts a while, even on the highest setting. Has a magnet and doesn't roll away either. Also has a USB charger.

M12 Fuel Wet/Dry vac

Heard a lot of reviews saying this didn't have enough power but glad I did. It's great for small, quick jobs around the house. I replaced a bunch of outlets and switches and swapped out some bath fans and it's perfect for sucking up fine drywall dust and insulation, stuff you don't want in the house vac and too small a job to pull out the Rigid shop vac.

I even used it to suck out a blockage from my A/C drain line which would have been a major pain in the rear end to get the 12 gal. shop vac into the attic.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 31, 2021

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Are we bragging about cool tools? I got me a Husqvarna 535iFR. It's awesome. Comes with a built-in "stay the gently caress away from me" sign. And TWO kinds of metal blades for getting things out of my way. It also comes with a string trimmer attachment but I already have one of those. The best part is that it's got a built in fan that draws air over the battery as you use it which keeps it cool enough that you can recharge it right after use. I literally don't have to stop using it until I get tired. I wish I'd owned it 15 years ago.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Technically it belongs to my boss, but this is the dopest tool I got this year.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Motronic posted:

I know I'm super late to the part on these, but I finally got a battery angle grinder and it's awesome:

Hell yeah, was going to post the same. Not having a cord on the grinder is a revelation (and I'm never doing enough grinding to run a battery down), plus the paddle switch was failing on my old one anyways so it was a justified purchase :colbert:.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

ROJO posted:

Hell yeah, was going to post the same. Not having a cord on the grinder is a revelation (and I'm never doing enough grinding to run a battery down), plus the paddle switch was failing on my old one anyways so it was a justified purchase :colbert:.

I have this one and used the absolute poo poo out of it when I did the exterior stone on my house. Just a beast that won't stop.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
The milwaukee m12 fuel impact driver: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-FUEL-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-1-4-in-Hex-Impact-Driver-Tool-Only-2553-20/303205819

Cheapish, can blow 1" holes through old dimensional 2x lumber without too much hassle, is small and light for when you're crawling around in tight areas. Big fan.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

FCKGW posted:

M12 Fuel Wet/Dry vac

drat this would be top of my list if it wasn't for the 87 dB levels. I primarily need a portable vacuum for car detailing (nothing I hate more than dragging chords and poo poo around outside).

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I got a portal Ridgid vacuum that would have normally topped the list (it's awesome)...

But this year I also got

Having a garage workshop means I open the door and blow everything out. It's my favorite stupid thing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I got a portal Ridgid vacuum that would have normally topped the list (it's awesome)...

But this year I also got

Having a garage workshop means I open the door and blow everything out. It's my favorite stupid thing.

Big same. I got this one:

I wish I had gotten this thing the day we moved into our house. Cleaning up the garage, deck, steps, etc all far far faster and it's pretty quiet to boot. I also got the electric mower that uses the same batteries and it's been great but this one is the one that really stands out in saving a lot of time and effort.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That Works posted:

I wish I had gotten this thing the day we moved into our house. Cleaning up the garage, deck, steps, etc all far far faster and it's pretty quiet to boot. I also got the electric mower that uses the same batteries and it's been great but this one is the one that really stands out in saving a lot of time and effort.

the 18 inch chainsaw that uses the same ones has been good to me so far too

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CommonShore posted:

the 18 inch chainsaw that uses the same ones has been good to me so far too

Good to know!

Other than the mower (and now the blower) I'm on team yellow so had their smallest electric chainsaw. Nice for tree trimming work after storms and needing to take it up a ladder etc.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

That Works posted:

I have the 18v whisper that is one step down from that one and it rules. I also got a chainsaw with I think a 14" bar and they both definitely exceeded my expectations

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
The holes in the holey galahad mean you can see your work through the angle grinder. They cut soo nice. I'm so happy to be past disposable flap discs

The kutzall burr sets I got are pretty hot poo poo too. I wouldn't use these or the above without a paddle switch so you can let go if it goes south and it shuts off. I love the slick cases bits come in

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 31, 2021

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Since we bought the house this year, we stocked up on a few things. I got a fiskars pole saw/pruner and it's excellent. Also got a fiskars lopper because our yard has a lot of trees. Also excellent.

Probably my best tool purchases this year

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I'd rate either the 50L 2.5hp compressor I got, or the airless paint sprayer or my oscillating head cutter (like the one shown previously) as one of my best purchases for the year.

Cutter had done some serious plaster work this year, paint sprayer got the bulk of the garage walls and ceiling painted (it's rendered brick for 3 walls and fibre cement for the outer walls on the laundry and the last wall) and the compressor has been attached to a handheld sandblasting gun and has been getting a good workout on the bathroom doors which are slatted

Also the best free tool I got this year was a mig welder (also the fronius Tig I purchased for work but I didn't pay for that)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Lowes has one of the nice Delta table saws on clearance for half off. Usually $680, on clearance for $340

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DELTA-Contractor-Saws-10-in-Carbide-Tipped-Blade-15-Amp-Table-Saw/1001385562

It’s in-store only so you’ll need to go in and check. One of the 4 local stores in my area had inventory.

Someone on Slickdeals found a workaround to get this price to apply to all stores.

1) Start with your local store on the website. Add the item to cart at full price.
2) Once in the cart, click the "change store" link and use zip code 35476
3) Price will be discounted but pickup is unavailable.
4) Click the "Need it today? Check other stores for availability." near the bottom and set as your local store for pickup.
5) You can now pick it up at the lower price but at your local store

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Order placed, let's see if it works!

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Doesn’t work for me. Just shows unavailable at any store.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I have zero space and zero money. Get away, foul temptress.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Order placed, let's see if it works!

Same, I'm going to drive up and get mine later this afternoon.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
I couldn't let that deal sit out there. Even though I don't really want or need a table saw that's flippable pricing.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Dangit! I don't need a table saw but I've always lusted for one. My local store has 3 of them in stock. Ugh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have a $365 charge on my credit card and a table saw in my car

Staff said they'd done four of them for pickup today but couldn't figure out why they were so popular.