Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

Real Mean Queen posted:

I thought endemicity was just where everyone used the word “endemic” as every element of speech for long enough that the virus got impressed by our vocabulary and agreed to become the common cold. That’s what everyone said, endem they celebrated, ically.

Are you suggesting... that the endemocrats are worthless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Angryhead posted:

Thanks thread, for convincing me to order a 3M 7500 respirator.
Let's see if I'm bold enough to actually wear it.

i love my 7500. i thought i would feel very awkward wearing it in public, but it’s a pretty imposing piece of equipment with the hard case filters in, so that’s not at all an issue. i wrap a surgical mask around the exhale port, mainly to ward off anyone hassling me and signal the purpose clearly. just tie the ear loops around the filters.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I saw someone with a blue doily strapped to her face yesterday. It's like why? No one is under a mandate, and no one cares if you don't wear a mask, you're not protesting anything.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The difference between COVID and the flu:

- I've never had the flu
- I will definitely get COVID if I stop isolating

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The difference between COVID and the flu:

- I've never had the flu
- I will definitely get COVID if I stop isolating

I have to take my cat to the vet, again, today, she probably has bladder stones :(

Feste
Apr 7, 2009

zone posted:

Wonder what copium people crying about using n95s instead of cloth and lovely blue masks will have to say now

“Can I got back two wearing cloth masks once the case numbers go down?”

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

I have to take my cat to the vet, again, today, she probably has bladder stones :(

That sucks. Happened to one of my cats and we were scared as hell. We switched him to a medical diet though and he hasn't had an episode since, though

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Well well well, met someone on Wednesday and they popped + today. Exciting times.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

That sucks. Happened to one of my cats and we were scared as hell. We switched him to a medical diet though and he hasn't had an episode since, though

Yeah, 11 years ago now, she had surgery to remove 9 of them from her bladder, and has been on prescription food since, with no incidents until now. She just got over a UTI, and nausea from the medicine, and is back at litter problems, so I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

Didn't help that after I noticed the symptoms last night, I had a dream her eyes were bleeding

Goobish
May 31, 2011

zone posted:

bad time to be anyone that isn't obscenely rich or can't afford to hit the bricks, really

For reals, I'm trying to encourage people to hit the bricks if they can at all afford it somehow. Most people cannot and that loving sucks. I don't have any savings anymore. But somehow have good credit still, so I am possibly looking at living on credit for a month so I can afford unpaid "family leave." Which basically only means they will hold my spot for me for awhile. Going to hold off on that gently caress it button until I see how much they're willing to work with me though. Last I heard there were only 10 people in the entire building lol, so they might be remote by Monday for all I even know. Doubtful, but sounds like they're maybe having a bad time.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
good morning. Covid morning

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Iron Crowned posted:

I should clarify, if I stop trusting my respirator and go back to 2019 behavior

absolutely 0% doubt everyone in the country will get it, every man woman and child, which you absolutely cannot say about the flu

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, 11 years ago now, she had surgery to remove 9 of them from her bladder, and has been on prescription food since, with no incidents until now. She just got over a UTI, and nausea from the medicine, and is back at litter problems, so I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

Didn't help that after I noticed the symptoms last night, I had a dream her eyes were bleeding

Ah that's a bummer, but at least you caught it super early from the sounds of it.
Hopefully they can resolve it quickly and your cat can spend many more happy years with you

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

gooby pls posted:

have a friend with a weird mask requirement. duckbill style masks with ear loops, anyone seen them?

/

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

There is likely only one way to think about endemicity of this virus and it was coined by thread saint Dr. Leonardi

Like probably the other common cold viruses, SARS-COV2 is just going to kill or maim all the susceptible people over the next 80 years and then it will be 2100 and it will be “like” a common cold because anyone whose genes say it would be worse will be dead or not have reproduced

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Salt Fish posted:

I wasn't supposed to tell anyone this but judakel and owl of cream cheese made a bet about who would be higher placed on the all time ignore-list high score by the end of the year and thats why the D&D thread looks like that. It's actually a very close competition:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/stats.php?statid=4&all=#jump

i'm on the top 100 buddy lists of SA?

:unsmith:

WrasslorMonkey posted:

I'm about to find out. I cannot get a good seal on the area around the bridge of my nose with the kf94's. I just think my beak is too pronounced. I have some n95's on the way (got them from the place the op recommends).

try the https://www.airpophealth.com/us/light-face-masks

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Petey posted:

/

it'll all be over soon gooby

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Ah that's a bummer, but at least you caught it super early from the sounds of it.
Hopefully they can resolve it quickly and your cat can spend many more happy years with you

This is going to be the 5th time I've been to the vet in the last month, and frankly I l'm tired of it.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Crazyweasel posted:

There is likely only one way to think about endemicity of this virus and it was coined by thread saint Dr. Leonardi

Like probably the other common cold viruses, SARS-COV2 is just going to kill or maim all the susceptible people over the next 80 years and then it will be 2100 and it will be “like” a common cold because anyone whose genes say it would be worse will be dead or not have reproduced

if you look at south africas excess deaths history, it makes you wonder if omicron looks so mild there because they've killed off most of their vulnerable populations already

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Man I wish I was stupid enough to think that not drinking cheap drinks at a bar or not sucking and loving at applebee's was cruel.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Entirely fair. Last night I just loaded up on nyquil and today I just finished up the remnants of a bag of tortilla chips.

Ground beef, lettuce, tomato, diced onions, sour cream, salsa verde, non-salsa homemade green sauce, tortilla. Pretty simple. Also some refried beans that gets mixed with bacon fat.

Where it shines is in two places. First is a green sauce that consists of boiling jalapenos, onions and garlic, adding oil and then blending it into a green sauce. It's really creamy and delicious. So that goes on everything.

Second is that I have around 25ish kinds of hot sauce to choose from. At the moment I'm rocking a reaper style hot sauce, but one of the milder version of it if that makes sense. It's definitely spicy but I'm not actively dying from it like people who ate that single tortilla chip out of a little coffin.

Some goon did a serious effortpost on hot sauces here in the covid thread when it devolved into food chat for a while a year or so back. I've always liked hot sauce but I got hooked on the stuff after their recommendations.

If you iced bathed everything after a short blanching period and added some crushed tomatillos from the can and some cilantro to your blending step, that would basically be my old restaurant’s salsa verde. We’d burn the poo poo out of our ingredients for the other salsas to add earthiness and complexity, but a really good verde is all about being clean and pure and hitting a short high note. Let me know if you ever want to gently caress around with other salsas or proteins, I’ve got you.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

zone posted:

Man I wish I was stupid enough to think that not drinking cheap drinks at a bar or not sucking and loving at applebee's was cruel.

It's like a cheesy slasher movie when someone decides to leave the group or the horny college couple wanders off for some discreet suck n gently caress.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I still have some left from a huge box of KN95s that I got over a year ago from one of the legit sites recommended here, but I also only go "out" like once a week so I can use them multiple times, once they don't feel tight I throw it out

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Verus posted:

the endemocrats are worthless

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Goty booster yesterday morning and now I feel like I'm fuckin dying, god drat I feel like loving poo poo, good thing I didn't catch the real thing I guess holy gently caress

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
https://twitter.com/theemfndolphin/status/1476722600176881666?t=QZ4btNVWfac7N2pt_gEPtg&s=19

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

jetz0r posted:

i tell people that i get my info from internet communists

I say "a bunch of depressed communists" lol

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
https://twitter.com/leahrochonmd/status/1476694300121452544?t=pm607vOChOE6tN0n-tc78Q&s=19

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Strep Vote posted:

I say "a bunch of depressed communists" lol

i'm not depressed. i read the climate thread and love life

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Reminder: this page has not updated since Nov 20 https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#rates-by-vaccine-status

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

if you're depressed you just need to get some achievable goals. i suggest playing fallout new vegas and think about what you want your stat spread to be in the nuclear wasteland

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Feste posted:

“Can I got back two wearing cloth masks once the case numbers go down?”

“Well old clothy hasn’t let me down yet, plus I’m double vaccinated as of April and the CDC said that means I’m immune. I only wear the mask to protect others from droplets, which is what masks are for. I can’t wait until I’m allowed to stop wearing old clothy again and I’ll pull old clothy down to say so to everyone I see. It is almost unbelievable what a good person I am”

-the small portion of the country that still wears masks

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

loling as I realize that the driver is the one out of compliance with CDC guidance

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

alarumklok posted:

if you're depressed you just need to get some achievable goals. i suggest playing fallout new vegas and think about what you want your stat spread to be in the nuclear wasteland

cant, too busy trying to figure out how to escape with all these bars of gold

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I can't think of a more personal, literal definition of "Hell on Earth" than Colorado right now.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

third friend's roommate has a sore throat. can't get tested, everywhere is booked solid

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Real Mean Queen posted:

Putting the respirator on will make an immediate case for wearing it. It will make all other masks seem foolish.

Wearing it out around others will feel very weird and probably bad at first. There will be comments. You will have to learn to tune those out, and think about this in the terms that apply to it. You will look odd, you will need to talk a little louder, but you’ll also have spent what a box or two of disposables costs in exchange for some gear that actually no-poo poo works. I think we’ve all caught some poo poo socially for making a smart choice at one point or another, this is just another one of those. I’m sure the first guy that wore shoes caught hell for it too. I once made fun of a friend for showing up with one of those backpacks that has the metal rack. The first people who masked up for covid looked a little silly. History vindicated all of those people, and it’ll vindicate you too.

Some tips:

if you want to look friendly, reeaaalllly telegraph it. Do a big wave hello and actually smile under the mask so they can see it in your eyes, be good about friendly chitchat, play it up a little. People are going to be a little freaked out at first, meet them in the middle if you’re planning on seeing them again.

If you have questions, look em up. These are extremely well documented pieces of industrial equipment that have been used for years across many industries, any question you have is likely to have been asked and answered and have a video about it. You can also always ask the thread.

You probably bought the boxy p100 filters if you’re reading this thread, the 7093s in the states or whatever the local equivalent is. Those kick rear end, they’re what I usually use, you’ve done nothing wrong there. They can be a little tricky to do a pressure check with, but you can do it by pinching the filters about 2/3s or 3/4s of the way back from your face. They’ll creak and compress a little and become impossible to breathe through and the mask should collapse on your face a bit. Once that’s working, you just cover your exhaust valve with your hand and exhale normally and make sure no air escapes, and you’re good to go. This takes a couple tries to get the feel of, but you’ll get it down to a couple of seconds before you know it.

If you went for the fancier filters that cover organic vapors, those will block most smells. Dumpster smells become optional. They’re also good for litter boxes, tear gas, some fires, and many other modern problems. They also block stuff like the smell of rain or snow, or flowers, or forest, so you can get to a safe spot where a nice smell is and pop that poo poo off to get a total olfactory assault. Playing around with different filters has given me a new appreciation and perspective for my sense of smell and how it works. Even the filters that only do particulates will be interesting. You can still smell a cigarette but it doesn’t smell exactly like a cigarette, for example.

It’ll be weird at first, but it’s worth getting over the hump for. At this point I’m about a year in and I’m fully socially acclimated to it. Sometimes a guy at the grocery store is clearly laughing at me, and I kind of laugh with him. It’s an absurd reflection of the realities of life in an absurd world. It’s funny that he’s seeing it, it’s funny that I’m doing it, it’s funny that this is what it’s come to. It is certainly an eccentric’s approach to a common problem, but it’s a harmless eccentricity that objectively does what it’s supposed to do, and most people are cool about it once they realize there’s a good-intentioned person under there.

Thanks a lot, I genuinely appreciated this post!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/drjulie_b/status/1476764533435756545?s=20