Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

The C plot with the girls looking for the black Ajah is easily the least interesting part of this book.

"How dare they treat us like we're not competent to hunt the women who've already caught us once!"

Walks around the bad neighborhoods of Crime City in expensive silks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I believe this is our first image of the wonder girls together, lifted from the daughter-heirs instagram today :toot:

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Hexel posted:

I believe this is our first image of the wonder girls together, lifted from the daughter-heirs instagram today :toot:

Are they filming walking around the Rahad already?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I've seen this theory discussed elsewhere but didn't give it much credence but on a rewatch it appears that Ishi is tethered to the seal.

theres a definite animation to these dark cords that are binding him to the seal, which pretty much confirms the deception and the broken seal releasing the forsaken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omf4uLnsgCM&t=199s

Hexel fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 31, 2021

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Why the forsaken got freed was kinda a "eh, stuff happens close to the last battle" So having Rand explicitly free the Forsaken (or moreso linked than in the books at least) would be nice.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Hexel posted:

I've seen this theory discussed elsewhere but didn't give it much credence but on a rewatch it appears that Ishi is tethered to the seal.

theres a definite animation to these dark cords that are binding him to the seal, which pretty much confirms the deception and the broken seal releasing the forsaken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omf4uLnsgCM&t=199s

Well that is a super cool touch.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

More easter eggs in the show, check this out: a snakes & foxes game

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

In the books, isn't Snakes and Foxes a children's game that can only be beaten if someone cheats?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

In the books, isn't Snakes and Foxes a children's game that can only be beaten if someone cheats?

I just remember the bits about it being an ancient metaphor of how to deal with the Aelfinn and Eelfinn :shrug:

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

So, if anyone is interested in seeing show watchers go back and read the book, Nerdy Nightly is doing that now.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nitrousoxide posted:

I assumed it was possible to win, but with astronomically long odds to the point where it's practically impossible.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yes, and you're supposed to start the game with some phrase that also tells you how to beat the snake or fox people. Light to blind, iron to bind or something.

Stones was the elegant, chess equivalent.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Olver definitely won once, just before Mat went into the tower. Pretty sure it was ta’veren luck interfering but still!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I never understood why Olver was able to sound the horn, was that because Mat died by being hanged?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I never understood why Olver was able to sound the horn, was that because Mat died by being hanged?

Killed by Rahvin. Rand then undid it with balefire, but it still broke the link.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Killed by Rahvin. Rand then undid it with balefire, but it still broke the link.

Ah okay I just figured it was when he was hanged.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

cailleask posted:

Olver definitely won once, just before Mat went into the tower. Pretty sure it was ta’veren luck interfering but still!

Yeah, I figured it was something like you get two movement dice, the chasers get four. Possible in theory to win, but only if all of your rolls the entire game are the highest, and all of theirs are the lowest.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Dingleberry2 posted:

Yes, and you're supposed to start the game with some phrase that also tells you how to beat the snake or fox people. Light to blind, iron to bind or something.

Stones was the elegant, chess equivalent.

Stones is a Go equivalent.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Devorum posted:

Stones is a Go equivalent.

Which is too bad because that game is lame as hell. I just substitute chess in my head-cannon.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

How are u posted:

Which is too bad because that game is lame as hell.

:dogbutton:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

How are u posted:

Which is too bad because that game is lame as hell. I just substitute chess in my head-cannon.

Honestly, maybe don't voice opinions this bad.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Besides, there's a specific chess analogue, that thing with the fisher king Moridin was playing with himself.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

How are u posted:

I love chess and prefer it to Go but stones is definitely superior as strategy games go.

Chess might become a "solved" game, Go is absolutely nowhere near being solved.

The only way they got computers to play it was with deep-learning AI watching grandmasters play. When they ran it against those grand masters it started doing crazy poo poo they couldn't explain. Their best explanation was that it calculated it was far enough ahead to just start putting pieces in random places

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

MegaZeroX posted:

So, if anyone is interested in seeing show watchers go back and read the book, Nerdy Nightly is doing that now.

This was better than I expected. Laughing at Nerdy getting locked out of the building in the middle of the podcast. Narg Smart.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Yeah and their unbeatable super strategy was to form up in a line astern and act as a human battering ram.

I think something in that general ballpark actually used to be a thing and they ultimately banned it because too many people were dying.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Nitrousoxide posted:

Real life hunt games like fox and geese work that way too. The balance differs depending on the exact game but it's always lopsided so that the same side always wins with reasonably skilled play.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Like super queen! Single queen that can also move like a knight vs an entire loadout, I could never trap the dang monarch.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

His Divine Shadow posted:

I think they'll cut that scene

Doubt it, in the ama last month Rafe explicitly said that dumai wells is the scene he's looking forward to shooting the most.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Sorry to inform you that the Dumai Wells is now that small natural spring they stop at in the waste for a night where Rand and Mat are attacked by Trollics.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Hexel posted:

More easter eggs in the show, check this out: a snakes & foxes game

This is probably where all the money went. Making all this stuff that won't pay of for a long time so it won't pop up out of nowhere.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Finally into Gathering Storm, and the best compliment I can give Sanderson is I’m having a hard time distinguishing which is his writing and which is Jordan’s.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Nitrousoxide posted:

Sorry to inform you that the Dumai Wells is now that small natural spring they stop at in the waste for a night where Rand and Mat are attacked by Trollics.

Also downgraded to one. It’s just Dumai’s Well now.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm loving Gawyn managing a triple kill own goal.

And also how much disdain Silviana has for him

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 1, 2022

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Natural 20 posted:

I'm loving Gawyn managing a triple kill own goal.

And also how much disdain Sylviana has for him

Everyone should have maximum disdain for Gawyn

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Gawyn is just the worst.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hollismason posted:

Gawyn is just the worst.

The absolute worst. Lifetime worst.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Working my way through TGS. Man it’s amazing how much better this has gotten since the rescue Faile/Andor succession plots ended. Holy crap did those plots draaaaaag.

Sure the white tower plot is still going but that one is also way more compelling, in large part because Egwene kicks so much rear end in it. (Just finished chapter 16. “In The White Tower”).

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 1, 2022

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Happy new year thread that got me my second gang tag. Going to start my reread of New Spring tonight. The only WoT book I've read just once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Gang tag hell yes. Thanks!