Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I like to believe that his current strength comes from taking all the anxiety he feels when both on stage as well as the realization that he's a failed comedian and just burns that all at once like when Yuji used his fear as fuel vs Chose. Would also explain this man's constant optimism and positive attitude, he just literally cannot feel anything bad at the moment. We probably haven't seen his cursed technique yet but he'll use it now that Mr. Organ McExplosion is going to get serious. Then again, he pulled that paper fan out of nowhere so maybe that's a part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

yum posted:

This guys cursed technique has to be related to bombing as a comedian. Maybe he can absorb and stockpile the negative emotions of others as cursed energy from all his jokes falling flat. He's a cringe sponge lol

He almost certainly has Ratio like Nanami. As he made a 7:3 reference when he first showed up, and his current outfit based on the sketch Centerman who believes 50:50 is not always fair 70:30 is more fair.

The fan is likely going to be his weapon for ratio, like how Nanami used a covered blade.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Brought To You By posted:

I like to believe that his current strength comes from taking all the anxiety he feels when both on stage as well as the realization that he's a failed comedian and just burns that all at once like when Yuji used his fear as fuel vs Chose. Would also explain this man's constant optimism and positive attitude, he just literally cannot feel anything bad at the moment. We probably haven't seen his cursed technique yet but he'll use it now that Mr. Organ McExplosion is going to get serious. Then again, he pulled that paper fan out of nowhere so maybe that's a part of it.

Yeah, his attitude is really different from his gloomy demeanour in the introduction. But that could also be cause he's been forced to participate in the magic deathmatch battle royale for the past weeks.

MonsterEnvy posted:

He almost certainly has Ratio like Nanami. As he made a 7:3 reference when he first showed up, and his current outfit based on the sketch Centerman who believes 50:50 is not always fair 70:30 is more fair.

The fan is likely going to be his weapon for ratio, like how Nanami used a covered blade.

This seems to be the most obvious conclusion but... it doesn't really make sense for him to have Nanami's technique? Unless he's related to Nanami from the Japanese side and ratio is an inherited bloodline technique. For Gege to recycle it seems a little odd though unless it's going to be used to explain a bit more about how cursed techniques are created or passed down. The 7:3 reference could just be about Centerman or he could have some slight variant ratio technique, not necessarily an exact copy of Nanami's.

There's also speculation that the bomb guy is a past sorcerer cause of Reggie asking him if he knew who comedian guy was and the implication of how powerful bomb dude is when he gets serious. Plus he knows reverse curse manipulation which is supposed to be a super high level ability requiring a lot of knowledge and experience, not something you'd expect a modern sorcerer to figure out in such a short time period.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

yum posted:

Unless he's related to Nanami from the Japanese side and ratio is an inherited bloodline technique.

He's probably a relative of Nanami.

yum posted:

There's also speculation that the bomb guy is a past sorcerer cause of Reggie asking him if he knew who comedian guy was and the implication of how powerful bomb dude is when he gets serious. Plus he knows reverse curse manipulation which is supposed to be a super high level ability requiring a lot of knowledge and experience, not something you'd expect a modern sorcerer to figure out in such a short time period.

Iori being a past sorcerer makes sense. I would not exact someone who is new to the curse stuff to be so quickly willing to rip his eyes and teeth out, even if they know a way to quickly heal the damage. Which as you mentioned is a skill that's also rare. His version is also quite advanced as even Maki was left with scars after she was healed with Reverse Curse Technique. (Though it's possible that's because of the time that passed between her being burned and getting brought to Shoko.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 21, 2021

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I probably wasn’t reading carefully enough at the start of this arc but are the new curse users just randos that had their powers unlocked (a la arrows from jojo) or were they granted the curse techniques held by previous and now dead curse users? Or are some of these folks actually dead curse users being reincarnated?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

JahRoo posted:

I probably wasn’t reading carefully enough at the start of this arc but are the new curse users just randos that had their powers unlocked (a la arrows from jojo) or were they granted the curse techniques held by previous and now dead curse users? Or are some of these folks actually dead curse users being reincarnated?

Yes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

JahRoo posted:

Some are normal people with latent powers getting forcibly turned into sorcerers, some are ancient sorcerers turned into cursed items possessing people like Sukuna

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
There are also probably some people who were normal sorcerers who just entered the Culling Game like Yuji's gang.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/352/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-170?2021-12-27

This chapter rules

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
The HxH vibes on this just keep getting stronger and I'm all here for it.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

So glad I got into this. It continues to be exciting and interesting week over week.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
It was at that moment he knew he hosed up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I really like how Reggie's Curse Technique works.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Reggie is incredibly good
All of the newly introduced sorcerors are very good.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

It was given a nice wrinkle compared to it's first impression of just converting the contents of the recept back to a physical object. Being able to use it more abstractly like the spa card, and making objects minor shikigami make it much more versatile.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

MonsterEnvy posted:

I loved that his strong attack was having trucks try to run Megumi over . Knowing about Gege's influences , I can't help but remember the times it happened in YYH or HxH.

Maybe I just like when people try to run each other over in fights.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
God that receipt/contract technique is so fun.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

that receipt poo poo is the moment we've hit full Stand Power-level flexibility with cursed techniques, i'm fully torqued

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So the reason Megumi's domain expansion is so hard to pull off is because like Sukuna he can just make real space his domain instead of the bubble first? Glad for the cleaner raws because I didn't catch the fact that the gymnasium is still visible in the background.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Links
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-170/chapter/23714?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1011903

I wonder if the contracts/receipts have to be legit or if Reggie is just covered in a bunch of bogus poo poo he printed off himself.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Electric Phantasm posted:

Links
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-170/chapter/23714?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1011903

I wonder if the contracts/receipts have to be legit or if Reggie is just covered in a bunch of bogus poo poo he printed off himself.

I feel like it's better if he has to dumpster dive for receipts.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

So the reason Megumi's domain expansion is so hard to pull off is because like Sukuna he can just make real space his domain instead of the bubble first? Glad for the cleaner raws because I didn't catch the fact that the gymnasium is still visible in the background.

It’s because he’s inexperienced with it. Making a custom size is hard so he just set it to the dimensions of the gym

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sukuna does not even need to make a closed off space. Megumi has been unable to make a closed off space properly and so needed the gym to assist in creating his domain.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 3, 2022

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah a domain is tardis like in that the inside can be any size you wish, so long as you can pull it off. He cant visualize that so he needs the gym as a crutch.
Sukuna's domain has a tradeoff where he forgoes the barrier in exchange for massive real-world range.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah a domain is tardis like in that the inside can be any size you wish, so long as you can pull it off. He cant visualize that so he needs the gym as a crutch.
Sukuna's domain has a tradeoff where he forgoes the barrier in exchange for massive real-world range.

Sukuna's trade off is not that he forgoes a barrier in exchange for range. It's that he offers an escape route in exchange for range. The lack of a Barrier is something unique to him it seems.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
My point here is that we don't really know how other people have made their domains, but it was said that Sukuna making his domain in the real world was like painting on air. Megumi has done this twice even if he's using an enclosed space as a crutch and this current domain looks far more complete in that it has completely filled the space with darkness and this vertebrae appeared in the background. This isn't a simple domain that doesn't have any real properties to it and my assumption was that sorcerers need to master barrier techniques first before they can realize their DE.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

My point here is that we don't really know how other people have made their domains, but it was said that Sukuna making his domain in the real world was like painting on air. Megumi has done this twice even if he's using an enclosed space as a crutch and this current domain looks far more complete in that it has completely filled the space with darkness and this vertebrae appeared in the background. This isn't a simple domain that doesn't have any real properties to it and my assumption was that sorcerers need to master barrier techniques first before they can realize their DE.

Not quite. Megumi is creating barriers using actual spaces as a crutch. As he's not capable of properly creating the enclosed barrier himself

Sukuna simply requires no barrier.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Not quite. Megumi is creating barriers using actual spaces as a crutch. As he's not capable of properly creating the enclosed barrier himself

Sukuna simply requires no barrier.
The room itself isn't a barrier as in a jujutsu technique which is what other domains require. Therefore the only thing different between Megumi and Sukuna is that Megumi still thinks he needs a crutch at all when he's already doing what nobody else can seemingly really do.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The room itself isn't a barrier as in a jujutsu technique which is what other domains require. Therefore the only thing different between Megumi and Sukuna is that Megumi still thinks he needs a crutch at all when he's already doing what nobody else can seemingly really do.

No he's fitting the barrier to the room. As he can't put a fake space over a real one of a different size. So he's using the gym space for the barrier and not making a separate space.

If he was doing what Sukuna was doing there would be no change other then traits of his domain showing up.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it's hard for Megumi to conceptualize it so he's scaffolding the technique for himself by just fitting it into the room he's in. it's cool

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Now that the chapter is officially out I reiterate that this is maybe some of the strongest stuff fight wise that JJK has had, and its great to see Gege finding new heights this far into the run. Introducing very solid new characters AND some fantastic quirky fighting techniques, golden!

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Megumi is a simple boy and likes simple terrains

I won't discount that this might LEAD to a barrier-less ultradomain eventually though I'd have to refresh myself on his particular rules to determine what advantage that'd confer

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

No he's fitting the barrier to the room. As he can't put a fake space over a real one of a different size. So he's using the gym space for the barrier and not making a separate space.

If he was doing what Sukuna was doing there would be no change other then traits of his domain showing up.

That's not how I'm interpreting his words or events. According to him, Chimera Garden is about the same size as the gymnasium he's inside and it's hard for him to make artificial space inside real space when the sizes don't match. On top of that if he were making a barrier then I would not expect to see the actual gym in the background since he'd be in a different space like literally every single other domain expansion in the series. This isn't the first time he's manifested an incomplete domain without his own barrier. He did that the first time already so the precedent for him doing what Sukuna has done is already established. Maybe you can argue that because he was trapped in a curses barrier the rules were different, but if that were the case why didn't his domain contest with the barrier of the whack-a-mole curse/special grade curse like it did with Dagon's?

He needed the gym because he can't properly conceptualize his domain without some kind of containing area, but if he was using a barrier I would not expect to see anything but darkness as was the case with the scanlation.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm sure we'll have our answer in 2 weeks.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Maybe you can argue that because he was trapped in a curses barrier the rules were different, but if that were the case why didn't his domain contest with the barrier of the whack-a-mole curse/special grade curse like it did with Dagon's?

Cause that was just an innate domain with no Cursed Technique in it. So Megumi's would have instantly overpowered it.

Anyway I am pretty certain he is using a barrier and using the gym to properly set the boundaries. If it was like Sukuna I am pretty sure that would be mentioned.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it would be useless at that size if it didn't have a boundary. a domain the size of a gym that someone can simply walk out of isn't really much of a threat. also, megumi just said straight out that he was using boundaries despite the difficulty.

sukuna's domain is an exception in a lot of ways, but it's not necessarily better.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jerkface posted:

Now that the chapter is officially out I reiterate that this is maybe some of the strongest stuff fight wise that JJK has had, and its great to see Gege finding new heights this far into the run. Introducing very solid new characters AND some fantastic quirky fighting techniques, golden!

Most mangaka who try to make fights complex like this fail (see: Bleach), so it's nice to see one that actually has the writing chops for it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think Megumi is using a Domain Expansion at the end of the chapter.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Most mangaka who try to make fights complex like this fail (see: Bleach), so it's nice to see one that actually has the writing chops for it.

I think taking moving away from the one shot kill Domain expansions and the Disaster level curses made it a lot better. The playing field feels far more even right now for every group and lets creativity shine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Asuron posted:

I think taking moving away from the one shot kill Domain expansions and the Disaster level curses made it a lot better. The playing field feels far more even right now for every group and lets creativity shine.

I like there's an in-universe explanation for doing it. The more gimmicky domains got power crept out of existence and the people with weirder powers getting ignored in favor of people with more straightforward powers and it makes sense considering who's in charge of the Jujutsu world. Now the current chaos is allowing them all to come back and flourish.