Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Malazan features a race of dinosaurs who Jurassic Parked themselves by resurrecting an even more powerful race of dinosaurs who then killed them all. Yeah it's up its own rear end, but it's also wonderfully silly at times.

You forgot to mention that the dinosaurs are also eusocial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Barreft posted:

I consider it "high" fantasy as in stoned out of your mind

The best kind :sun:

The unique thing about Malazan that I haven't come across in any other series yet is the ascendancy system, whereby; individuals can have extraordinary adventures and experiences and begin to manifest godlike powers.

Also- the warren magic system is good and cool and so are all the creepy, ancient civilizations and gods. Superb ambience.

Hexel fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 3, 2022

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mayor Dave posted:

Oh yeah, the gradual re-contextualisation of the K'Chain from "demonic undead monsters" to literal space-aliens with forcefields and nanobots to tragic fallen civilisation is really well done.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The Blight disappeared immediately, so I'd assume they just keeled over. Same with Trollocs I guess.

they had to fight some trollocs after the sealing

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

So I just re-read the bit of TSR where Egwain visits Tanchico in TAR and sees the dinosaur fossils and what people claim is a Mercedes logo. What doesn't make sense to me is Egwain claims the logo is older than the dinosaur fossils. How is that possible? For that matter, if the age of legends was the second age, when did dinosaurs happen? Do we get a mass extinction event in the 7th age which resets us to the Paleozoic, and the first age is everything from the Paleozoic to the modern world?

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
I thought it was an elephant skeleton, not a dinosaur fossil, that she saw.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

wasn't it a mastodon?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Another season 2 location. This is Sanaa Hamri the director of episode 201 (IMDB only has info for 201 so far) and possibly more in what looks to be Morocco.

Somebody in the comments calls her: The Moroccan boss doing boss things

A lot of animal wranglers listed for episode 201 too.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The relevant quotes:

quote:

The artist had taken pains to show the massive skeleton standing there as if the rest of the creature had that moment disappeared. It had four thick-boned legs, but otherwise resembled no animal Egwene had ever seen. For one thing, it had to stand at least two spans high, well over twice her height. The rounded skull, set low on the shoulders like a bull’s, looked big enough for a child to climb inside, and in the picture it seemed to have four eye sockets. The skeleton marked the room off from any other; there was no mistaking it for anything but itself. Whatever it was. If Eurian Romavni had known, he had not named it in these pages.
-snip-

Egwene stepped back with a gasp, one hand to her throat. This close, the skeleton seemed even larger than she had thought, the bones bleached dull and dry. She stood right in front of it, inside the rope. A white rope, as thick as her wrist and apparently silk. She had no doubt this was Tel’aran’rhiod. The detail was as fine as reality, even for things half-seen from the corner of her eye. That she could even be aware of the differences between this and an ordinary dream told her where she was. Besides, it felt . . . right.

-snip-
She took a closer look at the huge skull. She had grown up in a country village, and she knew what animal bones looked like. Not four eye sockets after all. Two seemed to be for tusks of some kind instead, on either side of where its nose had been. Some sort of monstrous boar, perhaps, though it looked like no pig skull she had ever seen. It had a feel of age, though; great age.

quote:

Egwene could see some of those. On one side of the room was the skeleton of something that looked a little like a bear, if a bear had two front teeth as long as her forearm, and opposite it on the other side were the bones of some slender, four-footed beast with a neck so long the skull was half as high as the ceiling. There were more, spaced down the chamber’s walls, just as fantastic. All of them felt old enough to make the Stone of Tear seem new-built. Ducking under the rope barrier, she walked down the chamber slowly, staring.

So there's three skeletons. A giant tusked beast with a rounded skull, head mounted like a bull. A bear with big fangs. A slender-legged beast with long neck.

The last one sounds like a giraffe. The one being discussed sounds like some relative of the elephant. The "bear with big fangs" is the one that I can't match to any non-prehistoric creature. It sounds like a Smilodon more than anything else (though that's more of a cat than a bear, the skeletons would look similar).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
How are they already in the Waste?

maybe flashbacks or flash-forwards?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Could be some world building or a cold open if they are indeed using Morocco for the Aiel waste. That is just a common assumption for now.

If I recall correctly, Morocco got on our radar from Rafe’s ama where he said he had to go to Morocco for a location scout.

Hexel fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 3, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Maybe after Rand walks out on Moiraine he goes and gets Wasted?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Another interesting addition to season 2 is Jessica Boone who is Guy Roberts (Uno) wife.

She was spotted in August of 2021 going around with the side of her head shaved so definitely a seanchan, possibly even Suroth.

https://www.wotseries.com/2021/12/26/season-two-cast-melissa-james-jessica-boone-more/

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Thinking about this a little bit more: maybe they want to bring more Aiel into the show quicker than the books and will show them deciding to and then leaving the Three-Fold Land to search for He Who Comes With the Dawn.

Maybe even Aviendha :swoon:

Aviendha is one of those who ventured out of the Aiel Waste, across the Spine of the World and into the wetlands in search of the Car'a'carn. Along with Bain, Chiad, and Jolien.

The she runs into the supergirls and rescues them from brigands on their way to Tear.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Shageletic posted:

wasn't it a mastodon?

They found the fossilized remains of a metal band?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Dysgenesis posted:

They found the fossilized remains of a metal band?

Yes, Nynaeve throws it at Moghedien

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Mayor Dave posted:

They forgot to mention that some of those dinosaurs are zombie velociraptors with swords for arms.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

They're cutting books two and three, obvs. Unnecessary road adventure type stuff, they want to get to the Rand politicking bit because that's what the Wheel of Time is really about :thumbsup:

Hexel posted:

Thinking about this a little bit more: maybe they want to bring more Aiel into the show quicker than the books and will show them deciding to and then leaving the Three-Fold Land to search for He Who Comes With the Dawn.

Aviendha is one of those who ventured out of the Aiel Waste, across the Spine of the World and into the wetlands in search of the Car'a'carn. Along with Bain, Chiad, and Jolien.

The she runs into the supergirls and rescues them from brigands on their way to Tear.
Yeah I'm betting they're adding Avi/Ruarc etc. backstory. I mean, unlike in the books we haven't even been introduced to a live Aiel yet at this point (I don't think? Rand's mum only semi-counts cus she's adopted Aiel and is dead and all we saw was fighting and baby pushing anyway).

I googled Sanaa Hamri and her biggest thing (aside from a bunch of cool music videos) seems to be a musical show called Empire, anyone seen that? She also directed a few episodes of Shameless

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

El Grillo posted:

I googled Sanaa Hamri and her biggest thing (aside from a bunch of cool music videos) seems to be a musical show called Empire, anyone seen that? She also directed a few episodes of Shameless

Nice, so we're getting a musical episode in S2?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Dingleberry2 posted:

Nice, so we're getting a musical episode in S2?

The prologue

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yes a giant brassy intro full of color and dance called I WIN AGAIN LEWS THERIN

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hexel posted:

That's a possibility, but since the last we see of Rand he seems to be emerging from the Blight into the Waste, my guess is that while everyone else, save Moriaine and Lan, is doing The Great Hunt, Rand's getting a solo adventure reminiscent of his travels by himself in The Dragon Reborn. But since in the book we only get glimpses and aftermath of Rand's passage, the show is taking advantage of the relatively blank slate to give him more to do, just like they added the "Shielded Moiraine" thing to give Lan and Moiraine something to do in season two.

I'd wager that instead of him attacking the Stone at the same time as the Aiel and them deciding out of the blue to follow him afterwards, he'll make contact with a smaller number of Aiel in the Waste, probably just the Taardad, maybe just a single sept. He'll meet Aviendha, Rhuarc, and Amys, get "Aiel 101: An Introduction to Aieling", and do something to get them to follow him to Tear where they all raid the Stone together. Afterwards, once he's reunited with the rest of the cast we go straight into The Shadow Rising for season three.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 3, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Could an Aiel beat up a grolm

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Absolutely - arrows to the eyes seem to be the weakness, and Aiel are excellent archers. Plus they could probably spear it through the eye too.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

one aiel could, but 5 probably couldn't

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

jng2058 posted:

That's a possibility, but since the last we see of Rand he seems to be emerging from the Blight into the Waste, my guess is that while everyone else, save Moriaine and Lan, is doing The Great Hunt, Rand's getting a solo adventure reminiscent of his travels by himself in The Dragon Reborn. But since in the book we only get glimpses and aftermath of Rand's passage, the show is taking advantage of the relatively blank slate to give him more to do, just like they added the "Shielded Moiraine" thing to give Lan and Moiraine something to do in season two.

I'd wager that instead of him attacking the Stone at the same time as the Aiel and them deciding out of the blue to follow him afterwards, he'll make contact with a smaller number of Aiel in the Waste, probably just the Taardad, maybe just a single sept. He'll meet Aviendha, Rhuarc, and Amys, get "Aiel 101: An Introduction to Aieling", and do something to get them to follow him to Tear where they all raid the Stone together. Afterwards, once he's reunited with the rest of the cast we go straight into The Shadow Rising for season three.

Could clean up that "Enter the tower, leave the tower, repeat" double dip for the girls by having them get one of the dream ter'angreal somehow (or just an Egwene talent manifestation thing) during the Seanchan escape, they happen into Siuan's dream home, and get a "Don't come back you're Black Ajah hunters now" order.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Haha, holy poo poo, nice.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm pretty stoked for the comedic scene for their fight where they keep switching between showing the weaves the two are throwing at each other and a non-channeler's view as a servant enters the room to dust stuff and they're just standing there staring at each other sweating.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I just watched episodes 7 and 8 with my family today. Click on the links for part 1, part 2, and part 3.

Their final episode ranking was collectively 6 >= 5 >= 4 > 8 >= 7 > 1 > 3 >= 2. Episodes 7 and 8 felt like a let down after the middle 3, but were still better than the first 3. I explained there were COVID filming issues, and they seemed to accept that.

My mother and brother are both excited about watching season 2, but my stepdad is definitely the least into it and I assume he wouldn't continue watching if it wasn't for everyone else.

Their opinions about the characters haven't really changed much, with their favorites still being their favorites, beyond Nynaeve replacing Moiraine as my mom's favorite again (she keeps flopping).

My mother highlighted that she really doesn't like Perrin as she dislikes "his stupid faces" and how he has gotten "literally 0 character development." Generally they weren't impressed that Perrin didn't do wolf things in the finale.

My collective take on what the "average" tier list of the main 7 from them would be from them would be:

Nynaeve > Moiraine > Egwene > Lan > Rand > Perrin > Mat

I asked about predictions and got the following:

Next season we are going to see Rand start going mad, and the 3 beautiful women thing is going to be a twilight zone thing where he hallucinates them but really its a bunch of ugly people.

The white flame clearly means that one of them is going to be an Aes Sedai ("from those white smoke wisps"), while the gold ring is a marriage one, either Egwene with Rand or Nynaeve with Lan.

They believe there will be a big plot line about what Moiraine being stilled and how it affects her. This will involve her downfall from Siuan somehow. My brother thinks Siuan is power hungry and will discard her since Moiraine will no longer be powerful.

Other random things:

My brother successfully noticed Nynaeve pulling her hair is something she does when she is nervous/anxious.

On the other hand, he also confused Latra with Liandrin and was confused on why she was there 3000 years ago.

They confusedly thought Padan Fain was Matt even into episode 8, since the dark scenes were all hard to see on the TV and somewhat missed the Padan Fain scenes in episode 7.

On a similar note, they weren't happy with how dark things in episodes 7 and 8 were because it was hard to see.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Mat and Perrin are both so far from their book characterizations that they might as well be different people

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Somebody uploaded the pilot script for episode 101 and it's really different. It has Gitara Moroso and the Egwene paint pool scene and everything

This must have been before 11,000 notes from amazon execs

http://tvwriting.co.uk/tv_scripts/2021/Drama/Wheel_of_Time_1x01_-_Leavetaking.pdf

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Bezos you coward give me LAMB MURDERER NYNAEVE

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Hexel posted:

Somebody uploaded the pilot script for episode 101 and it's really different. It has Gitara Moroso and the Egwene paint pool scene and everything

This must have been before 11,000 notes from amazon execs

http://tvwriting.co.uk/tv_scripts/2021/Drama/Wheel_of_Time_1x01_-_Leavetaking.pdf

Interesting that they have Tam talking about finding baby Rand in that script.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Finished NEW SPRING after waiting forever. Fine I guess but Lan continues to have basically poofed into the universe as the automatically Most Stoic Badass Ever. His plot was really just him pinballing around until it was time for Moiraine to do the thing with the thing.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Mayor Dave posted:

Mat and Perrin are both so far from their book characterizations that they might as well be different people

Mat barely has any characterization in the books until he is healed, and most of that time is dagger Mat. Show Mat is in the same place. They still gave him the "willing to run into the fire to save people" trait (see episode 1), which is the most important piece of his character. Yeah, his parents are different, but he feels right to me. We will see with the new actor and what they do with him.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

AlternateAccount posted:

Finished NEW SPRING after waiting forever. Fine I guess but Lan continues to have basically poofed into the universe as the automatically Most Stoic Badass Ever. His plot was really just him pinballing around until it was time for Moiraine to do the thing with the thing.

So now that you've finished, curious how you rate every book?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Barreft posted:

So now that you've finished, curious how you rate every book?

Oh geez I haven’t done a proper reread in forever and haven’t read ANY of them since AMoL came out. Heavy nostalgia and bad memory is certainly at work.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

AlternateAccount posted:

Oh geez I haven’t done a proper reread in forever and haven’t read ANY of them since AMoL came out. Heavy nostalgia and bad memory is certainly at work.

Oh I didn't know the others were that long ago, sorry lol

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Having finished MoL I have to say I was really impressed with what Sanderson pulled off. Made me way more interested to read his other stuff. I’ve heard him be criticized for being poor at writing dialog but I didn’t feel that way at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Gully Foyle posted:

Mat barely has any characterization in the books until he is healed, and most of that time is dagger Mat. Show Mat is in the same place. They still gave him the "willing to run into the fire to save people" trait (see episode 1), which is the most important piece of his character. Yeah, his parents are different, but he feels right to me. We will see with the new actor and what they do with him.
Mat's a funloving prankster. Really feeling the levity he brings with his abusive drunkard parents, and his corpse looting. It's a shame they focused on the dagger killing him over it turning him into a paranoid wreck.

Speaking of Mat, I'm reading The Great Hunt, and he mentions being on a massive winning streak. I thought that didn't happen until he got healed, but I probably didn't notice it until Mat's POV made it a very explicit character trait :sweatdrop: