Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Prophet of Nixon posted:

More messing around with the Battinson design... I'm not sure I like this car. I've been looking at side profiles of it, and the front bumper is off the ground, the area behind the front wheels almost drags the ground, and the rear bumper/fin area is up the in the air. Lots of subtle curves to the body that are hard to replicate (on the two official Lego ones, I feel the smaller one pulled off some of the side/rear shaping well while taking great liberties with the front, but the big technic one didn't even try).

Probably not final, gonna go do some real work for a bit and let it stew in the back of my head.

You're at the point where you gotta decide whether to go for absolute adherence to the source material, like having the bodywork dip behind the front fenders here, or stylized caricature, which is my personal inclination. I'd keep the rear end of this newest version and the front end of your first pass. Trying to shape the front bodywork over the fenders is a monstrous task, and the original version with the double cheese slopes articulates "muscle car" and the general shape of the hood better anyway, even if this one is technically closer to the real deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Now all you need to just cover the heck out of it with rivet stickers and you'd have it down to a T.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Carbohydrates posted:

You're at the point where you gotta decide whether to go for absolute adherence to the source material, like having the bodywork dip behind the front fenders here, or stylized caricature, which is my personal inclination. I'd keep the rear end of this newest version and the front end of your first pass. Trying to shape the front bodywork over the fenders is a monstrous task, and the original version with the double cheese slopes articulates "muscle car" and the general shape of the hood better anyway, even if this one is technically closer to the real deal.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

So I've kept the new back, but in the interests of stability redesigned the engine to mount on a bracket instead of a 1x1 side stud brick, which made it longer, so I had to remove one skate from the engine block to not have it hang out. I also removed the vestigial tail lights since they made no sense anymore. I brought back the old front, but with the new bumper redesign (tweaked a little so it sits higher than before) - the new bumper necessitates keeping the cross plate in the undercarriage (that shows up behind the front wheels) though, but I think I'm OK with that since that's the lowest point of the car.

Here's what I have now:

PowerBeard posted:

Now all you need to just cover the heck out of it with rivet stickers and you'd have it down to a T.

Rivet detailing to eventually be provided by dust.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I'll post pictures of the new Batmobile and Bat Lair tomorrow, but the stickers kind of suck, so they'll need proper lighting to see.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Well, not seeing a whole lot of room for improvement, so Battinson instructions are up at:
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-97090/mattking4/advent-style-batmobile-2022/#details

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Lol Mandr is still so salty about the Gunship that he said it was the worst Star Wars set of the year,

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Lol Mandr is still so salty about the Gunship that he said it was the worst Star Wars set of the year,

What's wrong with it? Not a set I'd personally want but I think it looks great.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Doctor Spaceman posted:

God I absolutely hate that side of the Lego hobby and MandR represents it perfectly. I used to enjoy hate watching him but it got too draining. Good to know he is still going strong.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Looks like we're getting some more BrickHeadz. We already had the Toy Story ones, but now with better images. I don't care enough about Stranger Things to get them, but the other two will probably be picked up at some point if I need to put myself over the free shipping threshold on Lego.com.

Also, it seems like quite a few of the Ninjago sets use this piece for limbs, and it has really put me Leoff them, even if I collect Lego mechs.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mr. Neutron posted:

What's wrong with it? Not a set I'd personally want but I think it looks great.

Lego put in a clone commander minifig in the set and called it a clone pilot, and then called it an original trilogy set in a video.

He has complained about this and related grievances for hours.

Skios posted:

Looks like we're getting some more BrickHeadz. We already had the Toy Story ones, but now with better images. I don't care enough about Stranger Things to get them, but the other two will probably be picked up at some point if I need to put myself over the free shipping threshold on Lego.com.

That Demogorgon brickhead is pretty funny.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How do you all separate and sort pieces when you’re building a set? I make piles based off color, sorted by type of part

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I don’t. They’re already separated by bag number.

e: I do pour the little bags of axles and greebles and whatnot into a Tupperware.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How do you all separate and sort pieces when you’re building a set? I make piles based off color, sorted by type of part
The way they come sorted is good enough for me. I just leave them in piles of which bag they came from.

In other news, lego baby skull

lego baby skull

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

God I absolutely hate that side of the Lego hobby and MandR represents it perfectly. I used to enjoy hate watching him but it got too draining. Good to know he is still going strong.

I hate that if you watch Lego related stuff on YT at all, he ends up all over your recs even if you tell YT you aren't interested 100 times.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I open the bags in the numbered step from largest to smallest pieces and sort them by piece type.

I don't think I would do this if I was neurotypical but it works for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They're pretty good with each bag containing a "class" of pieces, so I dump out each onto its own corner of my build mat and it goes pretty smooth. The bulky stuff all has its own pile, the 1x2's and small plates have their own pile, and so on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it's easy to laugh at Lego have 10 bags labeled with the same number, but when you get into some of the absolutely massive sets it's super helpful for those of use that don't want to one pile everything. Just dump each bag out and keep them separate and it makes it much easier to find a part type. It's very much an intentional thing by Lego and the optics of it are just sort of weird. Escecially if you mostly build smaller sets where 1 bag often actually means 1 bag.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The Chinese New Year sets are coming out in less than a week. The GWP has not been officially announced yet. Odds we will have a situation like last year where the sets are sold out before they start the GWP?

The GWP last year started in February. The sets sold out in January.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

veni veni veni posted:

I hate that if you watch Lego related stuff on YT at all, he ends up all over your recs even if you tell YT you aren't interested 100 times.

You can block an entire channel - go to the About page of the channel, then select the report flag, then Block user.

e: Never mind, looks like this only blocks them from commenting on your videos. However, I do get a "Don't recommend channel" option below the Not interested option that has worked well for me in the past.

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 4, 2022

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

So this is my ninth iteration so far of a 3-stud BTAS Batmobile, widening to 4 at the back. I can't figure out if this one would be stable in real life or not, I'm afraid I'll have to get parts and build it, but it's not quite ready for that yet. I also wish the engine was 1 stud closer to the front but that doesn't seem possible what with the panel colliding with the pinhole "wheel".

Prophet of Nixon fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 5, 2022

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Carbohydrates posted:

The way they come sorted is good enough for me. I just leave them in piles of which bag they came from.

In other news, lego baby skull

lego baby skull

well, since I can't babby heads in light nougat, reddish brown or tan without photo manipulation I guess I will settle for skull

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Went to the Lego store for the fist time since summer today to pick up the AT-ST and Hoth battlepack, so I finally got to see some of the new stuff in person. AT-AT, man I want that thing. Now is not the time though $$$$. Even though I have seen a bunch of photos and videos I wasn't prepared for how huge it is. I do feel like the legs being too wide is even more glaring in person though. It's totally understandable but it is distracting. Tbh proportionally the most recent play scale AT-AT is the best they have done. Obviously the big one is still just so much cooler though. Cause it's big!

Titanic is awesome but I still have zero interest. I wish someone else would buy it and let me build it for them lol.

Biggest take away was how cool the new modular is...I really want it now. I was super meh on it in photos but in person it looks incredible and is easily the best one they have done imo. I almost regret selling the Parisian restaurant because it would have looked perfect next to it. I think I may just get it anyways. it looks better standalone than most of them. The attention to detail is nuts.

I love the new AT-ST set. It's hard to see in photos, but it's such an improvement over the previous ones. The hoth version was already my preferred version of the AT-ST, and the fact that they did a redesign instead of just throwing some hoth minifigs in with the rouge one version they have been recycling for the last 5 years is awesome. The two wide legs are still a little on the fat side but look much more palatable than the previous 3 wide ones. The attention to detail is way better and it's got all sorts of little greebles that make previous AT-STs look very bare bones. Also the probe droid is perfect and the minifigures are really good. It's already on my short list of favorite SW sets. They finally did the AT-ST justice imo

Also with the battle pack (and UCS AT-AT) they have finally nailed the speeder bike. Legos speeder bikes have always looked weird but I think this one actually looks really good. It's a bummer that they have totally neglected the on screen ROTJ speeder bikes for years though and I really want some more ROTJ sets to happen. Like, they have redesigned the speeder bike probably 4 times recently, and the only ROTJ one was awful looking because it was in that little ewok target playset. Yet there are so many hoth ones despite it not even being in the movie lol. They need to do a new endor bunker set.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

veni veni veni posted:

I love the new AT-ST set. It's hard to see in photos, but it's such an improvement over the previous ones. The hoth version was already my preferred version of the AT-ST, and the fact that they did a redesign instead of just throwing some hoth minifigs in with the rouge one version they have been recycling for the last 5 years is awesome. The two wide legs are still a little on the fat side but look much more palatable than the previous 3 wide ones. The attention to detail is way better and it's got all sorts of little greebles that make previous AT-STs look very bare bones. Also the probe droid is perfect and the minifigures are really good. It's already on my short list of favorite SW sets. They finally did the AT-ST justice imo

Thanks for the heads up I didn’t realize there was a new AT-ST. Looking good.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
A while back, someone had asked about light kits for the Home Alone set. I finally got around to adding the Game of Bricks one:

Having never done a light kit before, it was…an adventure.

It was a distinctly un-LEGO experience, seating wires between bricks so they don’t fully bind, lights on stickers across bricks, exposed wires, etc. On this set in particular, the Christmas lights in front of the house were hell - you were basically wrapping a stiff strand of fairy lights around the loose segmented rope pieces. And because you were retrofitting the lights into the set, some changes - like in the attic or in the living and dining room - are almost impossible without breaking down more of the set if you have Duke Controller sized hands like I do.

Maybe the more well-known light kit brands don’t have these problems, but if they’re similar, I can’t imagine LEGO ever producing kits like this for retail. Maybe available through a secondary enthusiast-targeted service like Bricklink?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

What you're describing is a pretty standard experience for all of the Lego lighting kits. The end result looks great, but they're janky AF and rely on a lot of cheating in order to get them fitted correctly. I would suspect that the only way Lego would be able to do a comprehensive lighting kit without all the bullshit you've described is if they started designing sets specifically to allow for lighting kits, like building tunnels or channels into the set to run wires through. Until then, you either concede that you're not going to get your stuff lit, or you put up with a process that alternates between tedious and nightmarish depending on what the set is.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I only like them on sort of big hollow sets where you can hide most of the stuff, see: Yoda, R2, Infinity Gauntlet

I’ve looked at them for playsets (no) and cars and ships (maaaaybe), just seems like too much wiring running around.

I hope the wireless lighting technology progresses more in the future. Did that company ever actually ship any kits?

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Just as a joke, here's a terrible model of the terrible Batman Forever Batmobile:

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Just as a joke, here's a terrible model of the terrible Batman Forever Batmobile:

lmao, I love tiny hosed up batmobile

(all of the others are great, btw)

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

MaliciousOnion posted:

lmao, I love tiny hosed up batmobile

(all of the others are great, btw)

Thanks! These have been fun so far. I'll probably take a break for a few days before starting another one, I think I'm gonna try the BVS Batmobile. The Tumbler still scares me too much.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dogen posted:

I only like them on sort of big hollow sets where you can hide most of the stuff, see: Yoda, R2, Infinity Gauntlet

I’ve looked at them for playsets (no) and cars and ships (maaaaybe), just seems like too much wiring running around.

I hope the wireless lighting technology progresses more in the future. Did that company ever actually ship any kits?

I'm generally not big on them with ships. they always seem to light up parts that shouldn't be lit up just the sake of lighting, or letting light bleed through the cracks and it's really unsightly.

With the UCS Falcon my favorite lighting solution I've seen was someone sticking a $5 LED strip behind the trans blue tubes in the back

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Get your messed up Forever Batmobile here if you dare build one!
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-97238/mattking4/advent-style-forever-batmobile/#details

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

My first ever toy Batmobile was this one(I’m only 34, I guess) so I absolutely adore this

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

I wish Lego would make a real one (6 studs wide I guess since it's a narrow one), and also the BTAS one. Now that they've done '89 and '66 maybe they will.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

How’s the kit for the ‘89 batmobile? It’s still my primary non Star Wars display piece…. So smoooth

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

a sexual elk posted:

How’s the kit for the ‘89 batmobile? It’s still my primary non Star Wars display piece…. So smoooth

I was referring to 40433 - the 8 stud wide (I think) '89 Batmobile that came as a GWP with the UCS one. I think it looks really cool but I don't have either of them.

Also just saw that there's a 4 stud wide (arguably maybe 5 with the wheels and side stuff) Battinson polybag coming out that looks really nice! 30455.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
can't believe how fast this was delivered

Mr_Chicken
Mar 23, 2009

Cloks posted:

Yeah, I ordered my BH on Saturday and got it yesterday - which considering its weekend and then a bank holiday in the UK was very surprising.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Cloks posted:

Yeah, my Boutique & Sonic are slated to show up today too, quite surprised.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

goddammit stop making me want the hotel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I almost impulse bought Sonic when I picked up my Boutique Hotel, too, lol.

bird with big dick posted:

goddammit stop making me want the hotel
No, it owns.

Also, here's a fun part I stumbled across this morning. 3430: Vehicle, Forklift 2 x 2 Plate. It's 17 plates tall and the width between its forks at the narrowest point is exactly 1 module. I decided to try it out as a window frame!

Due to its smooth sides and the forks' interesting 4/5-of-a-module depth (16 LDU), it creates interesting, subtle texture either flush with a wall or protruding from it. Layered insets or protruding sills. I'm very pleased with this.