Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

goethe.cx posted:

My guess is Mazrim Taim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Glory to the creator for that top of the page post.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Men only? Long black coats? Suspicious use of 1940s German military ranks? Checks out

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Glory to the creator for that top of the page post.

The Light protect us from his majesty

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm absolutely digging how Rand keeps accidentally proposing to Avienda with various Aiel customs over and over in Fire of Heaven and The Shadow Rising. "Oh she's pretty upset with me because the Wise Ones keep having her hang out with me despite hating me, I'll go get here some flowers, girls like flowers, that'll make her feel better." Later we learn that the flowers he picked make a bridal wreath and he picked the same ones that another Aiel chose for their spouse and they mean "I'll love you even as the prickly girl you are"

And the sword she gives him, which he says he really only wants the blade and she can have the pommel, which they all take as yet another sort proposal to her because of the gems in it.

I think there was a third one too, can't remember off the top of my head.

All the while Avienda is practically clawing her hair out because she doesn't want to violate the trust Elayne put in her to watch over Rand.

It's just wonderful. I really hope the TV series does this well.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm absolutely digging how Rand keeps accidentally proposing to Avienda with various Aiel customs over and over in Fire of Heaven and The Shadow Rising. "Oh she's pretty upset with me because the Wise Ones keep having her hang out with me despite hating me, I'll go get here some flowers, girls like flowers, that'll make her feel better." Later we learn that the flowers he picked make a bridal wreath and he picked the same ones that another Aiel chose for their spouse and they mean "I'll love you even as the prickly girl you are"

And the sword she gives him, which he says he really only wants the blade and she can have the pommel, which they all take as yet another sort proposal to her because of the gems in it.

All the while Avienda is practically clawing her hair out because she doesn't want to violate the trust Elayne put in her to watch over Rand.

Wasn't it the bracelet he gives her?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah it's amazing. The third one was the ivory bracelet.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Oh and then he gets jealous over Egwene (he doesn't realize) giving her a kandori snowflake pattern necklace or something.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

silvergoose posted:

Oh and then he gets jealous over Egwene (he doesn't realize) giving her a kandori snowflake pattern necklace or something.

That was Mat I thought?

But yeah Rand doing everything to basically propose to Aviendha and having no idea he's doing it is hilarious

Also doesn't he go to her society (the Maidens) to ask for advice, which again is basically "I am interested in this woman and would like your approval and to let her know"

The other great example is him constantly pissing off Lanfear by asking if she's Aes Sedai

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

If only Aviendha had, oh, I don't know, explained to Rand what those symbols meant instead of assuming that a wetlander would know all the intricate customs of her absolutely insane culture and then getting angry at him because he didn't know.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Mad Hamish posted:

If only Aviendha had, oh, I don't know, explained to Rand what those symbols meant instead of assuming that a wetlander would know all the intricate customs of her absolutely insane culture and then getting angry at him because he didn't know.

She does for most of them. I remember her explaining the bracelet and what asking her former spear sisters meant. She also tells him what the flowers mean, albeit weeks later. It still doesn't change the fact that everyone else sees him basically proposing to her multiple times, and of course she's been raised to consider all of them as proposals so they fluster her regardless. And of course she has her own burgeoning feelings for him that the accidental proposals exacerbated.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The funniest part of the whole Aviendha Rand situation is when they finally do have sex Rand is like "Well we gotta get married now".

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mad Hamish posted:

Wasn't she instructing him on aiel customs like the entire time?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, Rand was learning a lot of stuff from her about Aiel culture that was more immediately relevant than 'how to woo a lady and propose marriage' and had a ton of other responsibilities and things to learn.

Like if I was tasked with teaching a culturally-ignorant messiah the most important beats of my culture I would probably not start with what kinds of gifts are appropriate to ask someone out with or that rings are used to propose marriage.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Zore posted:

Yeah, Rand was learning a lot of stuff from her about Aiel culture that was more immediately relevant than 'how to woo a lady and propose marriage' and had a ton of other responsibilities and things to learn.

Like if I was tasked with teaching a culturally-ignorant messiah the most important beats of my culture I would probably not start with what kinds of gifts are appropriate to ask someone out with or that rings are used to propose marriage.

Also even on the parts where they did discuss at length she appeared to be awful at explaining why things were important and he was too dense to puzzle out why it differed from back home so they just went in circles a lot.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

To be fair, the wise ones didn’t place her with him because she was a good teacher or an excellent spy. They put her there because she was a pretty girl his age and they wanted them to bone to tie him to them.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Also like 3/4 of the time Avi's explaining Aiel customs to Rand he's not really paying attention, so even if she did cover marriage customs at some point there's a good chance he wasn't listening

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Later we learn that the flowers he picked make a bridal wreath and he picked the same ones that another Aiel chose for their spouse and they mean "I'll love you even as the prickly girl you are"

He doesn't actually get her flowers. He thinks about it, but doesn't follow through, iirc because he thought she wouldn't like them since she was a maiden.
But then he argues with himself about it because he also saw some maidens wearing flowers in their hair. So he doesn't do it because he's not sure if she would like them or not. Then he finds out about the flower meanings later when Melanie makes one.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Nitrousoxide posted:

To be fair, the wise ones didn’t place her with him because she was a good teacher or an excellent spy. They put her there because she was a pretty girl his age and they wanted them to bone to tie him to them.

Yeah it works on a bunch of different levels and it's great, and a lot of readers absolutely 100% do not get some of the jokes because they don't look beyond Rand's POV.

There's a non-zero amount of people (probably posting on r/whitecloaks) talking about how avi was such a bitch for trying not being happy at his dope presents.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

CainFortea posted:

He doesn't actually get her flowers. He thinks about it, but doesn't follow through, iirc because he thought she wouldn't like them since she was a maiden.

No, he picks segade blossoms for her and injures himself on the thorns.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

CainFortea posted:

But then he argues with himself about it because he also saw some maidens wearing flowers in their hair. So he doesn't do it because he's not sure if she would like them or not. Then he finds out about the flower meanings later when Melanie makes one.

quote:

Whatever Aviendha saw, it never stopped her being scathing whenever she chose, which was most of the time.
An odd sort of comfort, but compared to the rest, it was a comfort nonetheless. He had missed her. He had even picked flowers from some of the spiny plants around Rhuidean—bloodying his fingers until he realized he could use the Power—and sent them to her, half a dozen times; the Maidens had carried the blossoms themselves, instead of sending gai’shain. She had never acknowledged them, of course.
The Fires of Heaven: Chapter 4

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Harton posted:

Was there a single character without god like powers?

From the first book: Crokus, Whiskeyjack, practically all the other Bridgeburners apart from Kalam and Quick Ben. In fact, apart from those two I'd say the only characters in Gardens of the Moon who display godlike powers are Anomander Rake, who is by the definition of the story a god, and Apsalar, who is being possessed by a god.

See, the thing about Malazan is it approaches godhead from two directions. Gods are ultimately mythic heroes writ large, and Malazan plays with that by having its heroes actually develop the powers that are ascribed to the heroes in our stories. At the same time, it also plays with the notion that as they are just elevated people, gods can and do remain human and thus fallible. This is never better illustrated than in the conversation between Kallor and Caladan Brood, where Kallor boasts of how he has raised and destroyed great empires again and again through his hundred thousand years of life and Brood replies "yes, you never learn". And when it comes to it Kallor gets schooled by Whiskeyjack - not because Whiskeyjack is a godlike fighter, but because Kallor has never tried to learn or grow beyond himself. It's the ongoing theme - having godlike powers doesn't make you a god, being a god doesn't make you godlike.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Another fun one was how Aviendha tried to buy him off with a bejeweled power-wrought sword, an insanely valuable gift, and Rand just takes off all the gilt and gems and gives them back to her because he doesn't want to make her feel bad

And she's tearing her hair out because he's accepted her gift, but given back most of what made it valuable (in Aiel terms) and so now she's somehow even more in debt than she started

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah it works on a bunch of different levels and it's great, and a lot of readers absolutely 100% do not get some of the jokes because they don't look beyond Rand's POV.

There's a non-zero amount of people (probably posting on r/whitecloaks) talking about how avi was such a bitch for trying not being happy at his dope presents.

The Wise Ones force her to sleep in his room too and they both hate it, and Rand trying to be nice about it just makes her angrier. It's great

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I found all that Aiel/Aviendha/ji'e'toh stuff to be impenetrable and tedious when I read through it originally, but now I'm looking forward to going through it again knowing what to be watching for

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

Another fun one was how Aviendha tried to buy him off with a bejeweled power-wrought sword, an insanely valuable gift, and Rand just takes off all the gilt and gems and gives them back to her because he doesn't want to make her feel bad

And she's tearing her hair out because he's accepted her gift, but given back most of what made it valuable (in Aiel terms) and so now she's somehow even more in debt than she started

It's great because as part of a sword, those gems and such were not nearly as valuable (though it did probably take her entire life savings to get) even though it was the Tree Killer's sword, because no Aiel wanted to have the hassle of keeping it without being able to touch it. But when Rand extracted the part that made it a sword suddenly it's incredibly valuable and regifted back to her so she's so outlandishly in his debt that she could never hope to get out. On top of the fact it's probably one of the most valuable proposals ever given and everyone knows about it.

Edit:
Speaking of cancelling debt,
I also love when she gives him her belt buckle made from her spear blades she says she was supposed to give it to people she like and 3 people she hated the most to teach her humility. And she tells Rand that he's one of the three. But later you learn she's doing penance because she violated Aiel honor by lying to somebody, though they never say who. If you're paying attention though you'll notice it's probably for lying to Rand because she doesn't actually hate him when she said that. So she ends up even more in his debt for lying to him because she gave him the gift.

Everything she tries to do to cancel the debt so she can protect both her Aiel honor and her pledge to Elyane just keep making it worse.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 5, 2022

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

The Fires of Heaven: Chapter 4

Lol, well poo poo. I just read that book like a week ago and missed that.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Shadows/Fires absolutely is Jordan at his best, so much cool stuff going on and totally mindblowing events out of nowhere. Like "Boop! Here's Birgitte in the flesh!" had me completely flabbergasted to name just one, and of course the pillars at Rhuidean with the huge reframing of the Aiel and peek at the Age of Legends. Woof.

It really is a shame how the use of the Power becomes less interesting as the series goes on, less space for subtleties as the scale keeps increasing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dysgenesis posted:

They found the fossilized remains of a metal band?

Lol

Yes?

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

goethe.cx posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A STREAMING VIDEO ON AMAZON DOT COM. ITS THE WHEEL OF TIME AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, RAND. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. FINDING THE FLAME AND THE VOID WHEN I CUT DOWN SOME TROLLOCS OR EVEN WHEN I CHANNEL SAIDIN. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY FOUGHT THE DARK ONE AT SHAYOL GHUL. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY TUGGING MY BRAID. 2 HOURS INCLUDING SKIRT SMOOTHING EVERY MORNING. THEN I SNIFF

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

Edit:
Speaking of cancelling debt,
I also love when she gives him her belt buckle made from her spear blades she says she was supposed to give it to people she like and 3 people she hated the most to teach her humility. And she tells Rand that he's one of the three. But later you learn she's doing penance because she violated Aiel honor by lying to somebody, though they never say who. If you're paying attention though you'll notice it's probably for lying to Rand because she doesn't actually hate him when she said that. So she ends up even more in his debt for lying to him because she gave him the gift.

Jordan did a good job with these scenes where you get some information but also know or learn enough context to know why it's wrong. There's also a good scene where she gets punished for something similar and tells someone that she had to beat all of the rugs even if it took her the whole night and later Bair says something like, "I told her to beat some rugs until she had worked out some of her temper."

I also like the conversation with Barthanes in TGH because you can interpret all of Rand's statements as being both extremely politically subtle or as something a hillbilly sheep farmer in over his head would say.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

On top of the fact it's probably one of the most valuable proposals ever given and everyone knows about it.

It's not a proposal, it's an interest gift. Only women can propose among the Aiel, it's what they make the bridal wreath for.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's great because as part of a sword, those gems and such were not nearly as valuable (though it did probably take her entire life savings to get) even though it was the Tree Killer's sword, because no Aiel wanted to have the hassle of keeping it without being able to touch it. But when Rand extracted the part that made it a sword suddenly it's incredibly valuable and regifted back to her so she's so outlandishly in his debt that she could never hope to get out. On top of the fact it's probably one of the most valuable proposals ever given and everyone knows about it.

She explained that she got it because it was so cheap, no one wanted it anymore but young Aiel who didn't know better. Giving her back the gems and gilt probably was the expensive part, but she got it cheap.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Not quite "who didn't know better", exactly. Laman's sword was an honorable trophy of their just vengeance for a horrific insult. It was also a sword, a weapon which Aiel have a deeply ingrained disgust and contempt for. By this time, the latter had outweighed the former for most.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

seaborgium posted:

She explained that she got it because it was so cheap, no one wanted it anymore but young Aiel who didn't know better. Giving her back the gems and gilt probably was the expensive part, but she got it cheap.

She didn't say it was cheap. She said it was less expensive than it used to be when it was first taken. When Rand took off the blade and returned the rest to her as a gift (as she saw it) she got all the stuff that still had the honor of being taken as the Tree Killer's trophy without all the baggage of it being a sword anymore. So not only were the gems and such valuable in their own right, but they had the value of being the unencumbered trophy of Tree Killer, making it a huge gift. One she could probably never cancel out.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Ah yes Ebour Dar now, it's a pretty vile society, suited for the seanchan really.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lool the show thread is referring to the Seanchan as the "sea folk", yeah sure let's go with that

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Huh, didn't remember or expect a speech from Birgitte to Nynaeve about not disempowering her of her own choices in a book written in the early 90's in the Fires of Heaven.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nitrousoxide posted:

Huh, didn't remember or expect a speech from Birgitte to Nynaeve about not disempowering her of her own choices in a book written in the early 90's in the Fires of Heaven.

For all the poo poo people give Jordan, much of it deserved, he was trying. Sometimes in every sense of the word, but still, just making the effort is so much more than so many authors.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Lool the show thread is referring to the Seanchan as the "sea folk", yeah sure let's go with that

that's me, in part because people kept calling them the seanchan :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pro move then, I like