Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Wallet posted:

There aren't many small plants that are going to be okay in those conditions, easy to take care of, and go up instead of out. I've seen ZZ plants get to 4 or 5 feet but I've never seem them on sale at that size, and they probably need (relatively) generous lighting to reach that height.

I have a ZZ plant in my bedroom, but it doesn't get a ton of natural light, so it really doesn't grow much

I would actually be fine if the plant grew outward if it was on that planter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Wallet posted:

There aren't many small plants that are going to be okay in those conditions, easy to take care of, and go up instead of out. I've seen ZZ plants get to 4 or 5 feet but I've never seem them on sale at that size, and they probably need (relatively) generous lighting to reach that height.

mahoneys occasionally has them pretty big, but they get expensive.

If you light a zz plant at all (with like a grow bulb, etc, I mean) it will react very favorably. If you can bring it outside for the summer and it doesn’t get a fungal infection like my raven did you can expect it to throw on like a foot every season.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

actionjackson posted:

that's very helpful, thanks!

I do think something on the floor that is taller would be better - a plant on a stand would have more options, but I don't think would give me enough "volume." The goal is to add color and texture to what is a very long wall.

If I did do a floor planter like this https://www.dwr.com/outdoor-planters-pots/wire-planter%2C-large/8143-3.html?lang=en_US what would you recommend that is NOT a snake plant, but isn't a ton of work either? It looks like it has a 9" planter

for bamboo palm, is this the same thing? https://www.bachmans.com/product/15000000102580 it says 14" is that the planter size?
Yes, that's another name for a bamboo palm (Chamaedorea seifrizii). That's the size I bought but mine was already 6 ft tall, so I think that photo is a younger one than what you might find in store.

If you're going to do a raised planter, then you're not going to put a tall plant in it; it'll be top-heavy and those plants need bigger pots than that. At that point you're among all the classic low-mid light easy-care mid-size square-proportions options: snakes, ZZ's, monsteras, peace lily, cast iron, Chinese evergreen, dumb cane, smaller philodendron varieties, parlor palms (Chamaedorea elegans, the short cousin of the bamboo palm), smaller younger specimens of the same dracaenas. Your options might be a lot fewer if you need something non-toxic for pets, so be sure to look up each one first, if you have some. Bamboo palms and parlor palms are both safe though.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Don't Kentia palms also get quite large?
Most of what I find says Bamboo and Kentia each top out at 12in indoors MAX under IDEAL conditions. As far from a window as he's showing, and indoors all year with northern winter daylight hours, probably they'd both stay around 6 for a very long time if not forever, I would think? In mid-low light with slower-growing plants, it's unlikely to be the sort of "I put a Norfolk in front of a big window and 5 years later it's scraping the ceiling" situation. Mine are in a room with vaulted ceilings so I'd love them to get that tall but I expect it to take decades if ever.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 5, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks - I would repot so I assume just use the same diameter planter as the plastic one it comes in? is the fact that the base wouldn't really have any light exposure an issue? since it's behind the sofa.

for a smaller plant in a planter, I like the parlor palm which I think would work well in the 9" pot (?)

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 5, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

actionjackson posted:

thanks - I would repot so I assume just use the same diameter planter as the plastic one it comes in? is the fact that the base wouldn't really have any light exposure an issue? since it's behind the sofa.

probably worth up-potting if you’re going to repot. Is it the zz plant? Those tubers will put on mass quickly if given the space, and the plant will stunt if they’re squeezed. I up-potted mine from a 6” to 8” last spring and it’s already way too small.

the leaves need access to light. The base should be fine behind the couch as long as it’s not having moisture/dryness problems. Worst case, light can always be added

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

no, I was thinking about getting that 9" planter and putting a parlor palm (or cast iron, but that sounds like it needs a larger pot) in it for the space pictured.

I will say I do have a zz plant in my bedroom that has literally never grown, and it's in a 10" pot. I'm terrible with plants though, I haven't done anything except water it once a month. it's about seven feet from a large window that also faces SW, but I have a patio, and also the patio for the unit above me that blocks the light a bit.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 5, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

actionjackson posted:

no, I was thinking about getting that 9" planter and putting a parlor palm in it for the space pictured.

I will say I do have a zz plant in my bedroom that has literally never grown, and it's in a 10" pot. I'm terrible with plants though, I haven't done anything except water it once a month. it's about seven feet from a large window that also faces SW, but I have a patio, and also the patio for the unit above me that blocks the light a bit.

If you want it to double in size, throw it on the patio from May to Aug/Sept.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

If you want it to double in size, throw it on the patio from May to Aug/Sept.

ok thanks, I thought maybe it was just because I didn't use fertilizer

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

actionjackson posted:

ok thanks, I thought maybe it was just because I didn't use fertilizer

desert plants like/need their sun 🤷🏻‍♂️

actionjackson posted:

no, I was thinking about getting that 9" planter and putting a parlor palm in it for the space pictured.

parlor palm or ponytail or monstera deliciosa would be great there. Also a big schefflera (schefflera actinophylla) or false aralia. Maybe also cordyline.

If you want something fancier, a selloum or true aralia or coffee tree. If you don’t have chewy pets, a tall euphorbia or cactus or three would look really stunning there as well.

If you want to get real fancy and you’re ok supplementing some light (ie throwing a tall lamp with a $10 GE grow bulb in it or something similar, although all the plants I’ve mentioned would greatly benefit, especially desert plants) a bird of paradise or especially large philodendron would also kill in a space like that, or even a Meyer lemon tree or condo mango.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

actionjackson posted:

for a smaller plant in a planter, I like the parlor palm which I think would work well in the 9" pot (?)

I don't think I'd worry about the bottom of a tall floor plant getting less light; probably the first 1.5-2 feet is all pot anyway. You probably want to up-pot by 2in (diameter) from whatever it came in; that's the standard advice. However it's winter and there's a small risk to up-potting in winter; depending on the plant and how tolerant it is to root damage, it's harder for it to get enough light to re-grow and recover, so you might just double-pot it (nursery pot inside the nicer pot) until spring. If you're re-potting with fresh, commercial potting soil then there's probably more than enough fertilizer and you wouldn't need more unless you're keeping the same pot/soil for more than a season. That raised pot also has no drainage, so it'd be very easy to overwater and drown your plant. You wouldn't be able to add a saucer or drill a drainage hole. The best you could do would be to double pot and raise the second pot up a little inside the larger pot. Overall, I'd recommend buying a bamboo palm and putting it on the floor (with a pot with drainage and a saucer) over spending $125 on a raised drainless planter and $50 on a parlor palm. The Bamboo Palm for $125 will look a lot more impressive, and you could still spend the same $50 on a nice (floor) planter + saucer

Ok Comboomer posted:

Also a big schefflera (schefflera actinophylla) or false aralia. Maybe also cordyline.
I agree about schleffera too. I've been scared off of false aralia (bought a Ming Aralia instead) or cordyline (Ty plants) because I'm out of bright spots and I thought they were firmly in the bright to mid-bright range; have you had luck with those in spots further from a window? I've also never seen a False Aralia for sale around here. Home Depot is usually flooded with Ty's though.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks, it does have a removable drainage plug though (otherwise that'd be weird consider the seller/price). I assume you take it outside or to the sink, water and let the water drain out, then put the plug back in

I do like the floor idea though also, my understanding is that you don't actually have to have a drainage hole/saucer if you put rocks on the bottom? that's what I've done for another plant and it's worked fine. would you mind posting a picture of your bamboo palm?

I'm also not someone who uses any sort of bright artificial lighting as I have some eye issues that make that pretty unpleasant

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 5, 2022

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

actionjackson posted:

I do like the floor idea though also, my understanding is that you don't actually have to have a drainage hole/saucer if you put rocks on the bottom? that's what I've done for another plant and it's worked fine. would you mind posting a picture of your bamboo palm?

This doesn't actually work because of how water behaves in soil, it basically just makes the pot shallower (the water perches above the change in medium instead of draining through it because water wants to stay together). The same thing applies to putting gravel/potsherds/whatever in the bottom of a pot to "improve drainage", it doesn't actually help. The only plants I would ever recommend growing without a drainage hole are things that want to grow in a bog like Saracenea etc. It can be done, certainly, it's just risky.

actionjackson posted:

There are some plants that actually don't need much light to grow, which are mostly plants that grow in densely forested places in the understory. Stuff like peace lily (Spathiphyllum) will grow even with very little access to light—I have one someone gave me as a gift that is constantly growing and flowering even though it's across the room from the closest window.

Many of the plants that are sold as low light house plants don't actually grow in those conditions; they'll survive without a lot of light but they really won't grow. ZZ, Beaucarnea recurvata (ponytail palm), and Dracaena (snake plant included) fall into this category. If you want them to get bigger they need light.

If I were in your position I'd seriously consider just setting up a grow light. You can easily get a standing lamp or a wall mounted gooseneck or whatever and put a decent grow bulb in it and massively expand your options. GE makes nice ones that won't look out of place with your other lighting by turning your room purple/blue/whatever.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 5, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I was looking for catproof solutions (glassed-in wall shelves, that sort of thing) to growing some plants I love that are toxic to cats. No, we don't have an Ikea within reach. Suggestions welcome. Window shelves aren't a good solution because (A) we have sea views I don't want to block and (B) the cats spend a lot of time on the windowsills.

I ran across this bit of wisdom:

quote:

Window shelves are my favorite variation on wall shelf indoor gardens because they are in a sunny location. Your plants can soak up that Vitamin D to grow big and strong!

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

actionjackson posted:

thanks, it does have a removable drainage plug though (otherwise that'd be weird consider the seller/price). I assume you take it outside or to the sink, water and let the water drain out, then put the plug back in

I'm also not someone who uses any sort of bright artificial lighting as I have some eye issues that make that pretty unpleasant

I agree with everything Wallet said. Most of what I've read says rocks on the bottom doesn't work. Some references:
https://extension.unl.edu/statewide/dodge/the-hard-truth-about-rocks-at-the-bottom-of-planting-containers/
https://www.indoorplantsforbeginners.com/should-i-put-rocks-in-the-bottom-of-my-pot/

Sure, in theory you can move the plant to a sink/tub every time you want to water, then move it back after a while, but that's a heck of a lot more time and work vs just having a pot with drainage and a saucer and dumping some water in there as-needed. I spend enough time on the plants as it is, and that's with them all on irrigation systems, so having to move each one to water it every time sounds terrible. From those photos I can't tell if that pot even comes off the stand? If not, you'd be lugging it to the tub instead of carrying to the sink.

Based on your photo/description I'm imagining this spot as "medium light" rather than "low light". In medium light, these "low light" plants should still get some growth, but certainly not as much as they would with ideal bright indirect light. Certainly you could do grow lights and there are some grow lights out there that are easy on the eyes. Personally I'm avoiding grow lights because I want to limit how much time/money I spend on this hobby, and stopping once I've run out of spots with adequate natural light seems like a reasonable line in the sand.

Here's my Bamboo Palm. With the pot it's a little over 6'. It's in a cheap plastic home depot pot + saucer combo. I'm not a fancy pots guy. If you look closely you can see a $1 plastic saucer under that, to protect the rug in case it were to ever overflow past the built-in saucer. In the back is a small vase of water hooked to blumats because, as above, I'd rather not worry as much about watering. The brighter-green frond is new growth that just opened up last week. There's some new shoots at the bottom too. I actually just moved it to this spot by the door; it was further from windows before.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 6, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks - looks nice. maybe i'm just lucky then because i've had rocks in my snake plant pot for quite a while and haven't had any issues. It's mainly just a design thing for me.

yes the pot comes off the stand. I would spend a lot on a pot because I really care about design and aesthetics. Most "modern" planters just have the drainage plug because it just looks nicer to not have something underneath it. presumably they are just watered and drained in the sink, then moved back into place. I would be okay with a saucer if it had a pretty subtle appearance though.

So I assume a 12" planter is a good size for the bamboo palm? A local place I've used before has Scheurich planters which I like. I have one where the saucer is permanently attached (like https://mother-earth-gardens-webstore.myshopify.com/collections/green/products/pottery-scheurich-108-planter-w-attached-saucer-alaska-white). For another plant I use this - https://www.dwr.com/living-side-end-tables/tray-side-table/2514629.html?lang=en_US which I like because the tray is removable to empty out the water.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 6, 2022

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

actionjackson posted:

thanks - looks nice. maybe i'm just lucky then because i've had rocks in my snake plant pot for quite a while and haven't had any issues. It's mainly just a design thing for me.

yes the pot comes off the stand. I would spend a lot on a pot because I really care about design and aesthetics. Most "modern" planters just have the drainage plug because it just looks nicer to not have something underneath it. presumably they are just watered and drained in the sink, then moved back into place. I would be okay with a saucer if it had a pretty subtle appearance though.

So I assume a 12" planter is a good size for the bamboo palm? A local place I've used before has Scheurich planters which I like. I have one where the saucer is permanently attached (like https://mother-earth-gardens-webstore.myshopify.com/collections/green/products/pottery-scheurich-108-planter-w-attached-saucer-alaska-white). For another plant I use this - https://www.dwr.com/living-side-end-tables/tray-side-table/2514629.html?lang=en_US which I like because the tray is removable to empty out the water.

Mine's in a 12 but you'll have to go to the store, see what size it's in, and add 2 inches. You don't want to go much bigger than that; "over-potting" is a good way to retain too much water and lead to overwatering. I do prefer detachable saucers for utility. Even if you usually top-water you'd still want to give them a good bath every now and then, and removing the saucer makes that a lot easier.

Snake and ZZ plants can survive a whole lot of abuse that would kill almost anything else, so I wouldn't quite take "it hasn't killed my snake plant" as strong evidence. For example, this guy tried to see how long they could survive in a windowless basement utility room with zero light and zero water. After 100 days he gave up because they were still fine (while all the other newbie plants were near-dead long before that). Sure it didn't grow at all, but it was fine (worth noting that plants need less water when they get less light, so a better-lit snake probably wouldn't live 100 days without water).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lued_aTVX4w&t=439s

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Terrain sells metal saucers that look nice and modern with the right pot and stand. I mostly use white/black ceramic, personally.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was looking for catproof solutions (glassed-in wall shelves, that sort of thing) to growing some plants I love that are toxic to cats. No, we don't have an Ikea within reach. Suggestions welcome. Window shelves aren't a good solution because (A) we have sea views I don't want to block and (B) the cats spend a lot of time on the windowsills.

I don't think you have a huge variety of options except glassed in stuff. I have seen quite a few glassed in terrarium type things with hinged lids floating around local nurseries, e.g. this type of thing.

Lakitu7 posted:

Personally I'm avoiding grow lights because I want to limit how much time/money I spend on this hobby, and stopping once I've run out of spots with adequate natural light seems like a reasonable line in the sand.

I have a one pot per genus rule instead (which some people think is insane) to limit plant acquisitions, but it's made me find some weird poo poo I'd probably never grow otherwise. Most of my grow lights are actually over/near my windows to augment the natural light because most of the stuff I want to grow wants lots o' light. Also makes it feel like summer in my living room all year long which I like.

As far as time I water twice a week and it takes at most 15 minutes since all of the plants are together. Succulent supremacy, there, I guess.

For most of my grow lights the bulbs cost more than the fixtures, which are just cheapo black goosenecks (I think they were ~18$ a piece on Amazon?):

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 6, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks for the link. only one thing I liked at all but it only went up to 10".

quite the decor btw, black on a hot pink wall works pretty well

also why does it cost $120+ for the bamboo palm? it's just a plant, idgi

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

actionjackson posted:

thanks for the link. only one thing I liked at all but it only went up to 10".

I mostly just like the saucers. Metal saucers are surprisingly hard to find.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

On a slightly on-topic tangent, can anyone recommend a favorite wall planter or wall shelf that will support a smallish plant? I can fit something up to ten inches wide on the wall over the toilet for a plant that will get humidity from the shower and lovely east-window light. I found a watertight wall planter meant for, well, planting, but it's cheap plastic and it scares me a little. Besides, it has a clear front panel, and I'm not sure I mostly want to see dirt.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hirayuki posted:

On a slightly on-topic tangent, can anyone recommend a favorite wall planter or wall shelf that will support a smallish plant? I can fit something up to ten inches wide on the wall over the toilet for a plant that will get humidity from the shower and lovely east-window light. I found a watertight wall planter meant for, well, planting, but it's cheap plastic and it scares me a little. Besides, it has a clear front panel, and I'm not sure I mostly want to see dirt.

https://www.dwr.com/indoor-planters-pots/story-planter-wall-mount/2525475.html?lang=en_US

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

How do it drain?

Hirayuki posted:

If you just want a wall shelf, the options are endless. If it's just one small plant you can probably very easily find a floating option that will support it on wayfair or whatever.

I really don't like/believe in watertight planters, as discussed on this page. For hanging plants from walls I just use macrame hangers because they're easy to find and they'll hold a pot+saucer quite well and then I don't have to worry about moving the plant to let it drip into the sink every time it's watered. The ones made out of (fake) leather look nice but they generally won't safely hold onto a saucer + pot. I really like these hooks; they're a little pricey but they're strong and I like the ability to adjust the angle.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 6, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Wallet posted:

How do it drain?

If you just want a wall shelf, the options are endless. If it's just one small plant you can probably very easily find a floating option that will support it on wayfair or whatever.

you can buy a strainer separately that fits https://www.dwr.com/indoor-planters-pots/story-planter-strainer-sets/2516942.html?lang=en_US

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

pokie posted:

I think it mostly depends on the amount effort and money you want to spend. Honestly Monstera are not that difficult, so I would default to a big Monstera species. A tall cactus could also work, like a Lophocereus marginatus. Personally I have all of the plants I listed except a snake one. Aloidendron would require extra lights and be $$$, but everything else is doable and really up to you.

Growing cactus indoors you are almost assured etiolation/bad plant health. It can be done but the right light setup is not conducive to decor or eyeballs.

I love my ponytail palms they are adorbs 🥰 :3:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wallet posted:

I don't think you have a huge variety of options except glassed in stuff. I have seen quite a few glassed in terrarium type things with hinged lids floating around local nurseries, e.g. this type of thing.
I want a wall-hung greenhouse, but I haven't been able to find the right search term for that. Anything that is on a cat-reachable surface will be gleefully batted on to the floor, chewed on, and probably opened.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

would a Cataractarum Palm be good for my space? or is it a lot more work

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

actionjackson posted:

also why does it cost $120+ for the bamboo palm? it's just a plant, idgi

Lots of plants are a lot more expensive than that, honestly. Bamboo palms aren't really rare but most plants that can grow in relatively lower light will take a lot of years to get to the 4-6ft sizes you're looking at, even in optimal greenhouse conditions, so you're paying for the years of care it received before you bought it. Bamboos are a bargain compared to Kentias at $300+. Pretty much anything that tall is going to cost some money; even cheap stuff like Pothos can be $100+ if you get large pole-grown plant.

actionjackson posted:

would a Cataractarum Palm be good for my space? or is it a lot more work

Cat palms are in the same genus (Chamaedorea) as Parlor and Bamboo, so they have a lot in common. It might need a little more light than Parlor or Bamboo, or it might not, depending on who you ask. It could be a fine in-between option in both size and price if a Parlor is too small and a Bamboo is too big + expensive.

If you're putting something on a stand you could go Ponytail or Sago too (neither of which are real palms but tolerate low-mid light too).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks again!

edit: here's a better picture of the space. I'm looking at to the left of the sofa by the floor lamp.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 6, 2022

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

I dunno, looks pretty dark plus you have some sort of shadow demon in there...

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sexy tiger boobs posted:

I dunno, looks pretty dark plus you have some sort of shadow demon in there...

that's mainly because it's overcast, like most winter days in MN

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
If you buy a new plant and it doesn't do well, or if you want to be proactive about it and guarantee survival of your new plant, just switch sides. The snake plant (with its platform) will be fine on the far side of the couch from the window, and whatever else you buy will be much happier on the side closer to the window.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Lakitu7 posted:

If you buy a new plant and it doesn't do well, or if you want to be proactive about it and guarantee survival of your new plant, just switch sides. The snake plant (with its platform) will be fine on the far side of the couch from the window, and whatever else you buy will be much happier on the side closer to the window.

ok thanks, that's a good point.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I want a wall-hung greenhouse, but I haven't been able to find the right search term for that. Anything that is on a cat-reachable surface will be gleefully batted on to the floor, chewed on, and probably opened.

Every cat I've ever owned would just jump on top of it if it was hanging from the wall and big enough they thought they could stand on it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

actionjackson posted:

thanks again!

edit: here's a better picture of the space. I'm looking at to the left of the sofa by the floor lamp.

what about a big ol’ peace lily (Spathiphyllum)? I’m at Home Despot grabbing last minute snowstorm supplies and they got one in a 13” pot and this sucker’s a good four feet by four feet for like $70. It’s biiiig. (picking up a much more reasonably-priced 10” for $25, but god that big one was tempting)

they’re good for lowish-to-moderate light and if you’re willing to pay for a big mature one upfront you can make do with less light and still get lots of plant)

just make sure your sweet shadow nightmare beast doesn’t try to eat it

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oh yeah that looks cool, thanks!

is home despot a freudian slip

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
How much water should I put in my ponytail palm I was going to water it tomorrow. Its like a foot and half tall. I'm unsure how much water to use in this thing. I don't want to over water it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Wallet posted:

Every cat I've ever owned would just jump on top of it if it was hanging from the wall and big enough they thought they could stand on it.

Okay, it's medical research for the lot of them. (True, but if I attach it sturdily enough I don't care what they do on the outside.)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

actionjackson posted:

oh yeah that looks cool, thanks!

is home despot a freudian slip

nope. I’m that much of a dork and I say it enough/post about HD enough that my phone autocorrects to it now. It’s fair. gently caress Home Depot and the way they treated their employees in 2020. Shoplift from them.

Anyway, I’m also gonna put in a plug for Strelitzia/bird of paradise again (HD happened to be selling those too, so Mom is getting a pair for her birthday :toot:).

Dead easy to keep, would always benefit from more light but I think one or two would do fine with the light from those windows, plus it might keep them from getting too large too quick.

They’re much more resilient than they look, one of my local Asian takeout places has a 10 foot one in the corner of their shop in what seems like the tiniest pot, but it looks like it’s been there for 20 years and it looks happy as poo poo just inches from the cold window.

If you want to define a space with a big tall plant, it’s hard to go wrong with one of them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hollismason posted:

How much water should I put in my ponytail palm I was going to water it tomorrow. Its like a foot and half tall. I'm unsure how much water to use in this thing. I don't want to over water it.

I’m gonna bottom-water mine overnight. Then take it out in the morning (assuming there’s still water there) unless the top soil still seems dry. Then I might pour some water on them/let them sit a bit longer while I wake/bake + contemplate the 8” of snow that I’m expected to get.

Regardless they’ll get taken out in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I have one of those giant "sensation" peace lilies from home depot too. I paid like $35. The problem is I've never seen them in the store again, just smaller ones at proper nurseries for 4x the price, so I stopped recommending them to friends because they're disappointed when they can't find them. It'll survive on lower light but probably not flower much after the first couple months unless you give it better light, so a lot like a common Anthurium that way. Even without flowers the huge leaves are beautiful though. Also don't buy a standard variety peace lily and expect it to get that big; it's the specific "sensation" kind.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 7, 2022