Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It seems like it should be a clip show but I don't trust Toei with Christmas episodes. They've been sneaky on throwing twist and cliffhangers in before they go away for a New Years break

Well, based on the schedule episode 42 will air on Christmas (41 which I mentioned above drops on the 18th). Though whether Christmas will have anything to do with said episode (called “Attack! The Strongest Yaraneeda”) remains to be seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

aw sweet theres a whole thread for magical girl shows

i recently read the compilation rereleases of tokyo mew mew, it was pretty good

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, I just started the original Tokyo Mew Mew anime recently. Seems ok so far but does it stay that way (and is there anything somewhat dodgy about the series I should be aware of)?

Also are there any major differences between the anime and the manga?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 13, 2021

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, I just started the original Tokyo Mew Mew anime recently. Seems ok so far but does it stay that way (and is there anything somewhat dodgy about the series I should be aware of)?

Also are there any major differences between the anime and the manga?

i'd say theres a couple of differences between the anime and manga, but it's been Forever since i watched the anime so i can't recall much off the top of my head

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I heard there was a manga sequel of some kind as well, is that any good?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Larryb posted:

I heard there was a manga sequel of some kind as well, is that any good?

a la mode is... alright

i think back then a lot of people disliked it but for me i always thought it was ok but held by by only being 2 volumes (and on a reread, suffers from a pretty rushed ending)

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

oh yeah and for the TMM anime i remember liking it, but i dunno if it holds up cause i was like 12 when i watched it on YT in 3 part chunks :v:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind, just another fake

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 15, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We’ve got another Delicious Party rumor via a similar source to the earlier one. This one seems to suggest the Cures themselves will be more party based (Pink being balloons, Blue being candles, and Yellow being party poppers), which does make a certain bit of sense to be honest:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=mZgZhBVbXlM&feature=emb_title

As this is almost the complete opposite of the last one and both come from an (albeit apparently at least somewhat reliable) Japanese message board poster who knows what the reality of the situation actually is (maybe it’s a combination of things like food themed mascots and party themed Cures). But nevertheless we should know the truth before too much longer now.

We also have this toy listing that includes 5 figures as opposed to the trio we heard about earlier (though it could possibly mean that two of them are mascot or otherwise some sort of ally characters):

https://tokullectibles.com/products...ign=sag_organic

As well as one with a visual listing of a few items:

https://tokullectibles.com/products/delicious-party-precure-precure-kitchen?_pos=1&_sid=c52551207&_ss=r

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 16, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A few coloring book scans have been found that seem to both match up with the typical Precure artstyle and fit with what little we know about Delicious Party’s theme so far along with some of the aforementioned rumors:

Courtesy of someone on Reddit we have some name translations as well: the mascots are called Pamupamu (Ham), MenMen (Noodle) and Komekome (Rice). The bishounen character is called Rosemary apparently. They’re seeking out recipe….bons?

Based on the art quality alone I’m willing to at least call this one highly plausible at any rate

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

This week was indeed a clip show, and it reminds you that if you do it only once in a blue moon and your show is good enough then even a clip show can be highly watchable and enjoyable.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This is the second clip show in a row now (the first being last year during Healin Good), I wonder if they plan to make this a yearly thing from here on like Sentai does.

Also we’ll know for sure in another week or so but so far it’s looking like those supposed Delicious Party coloring book scans I posted a little bit above are legit.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 19, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, the Tropical Rouge movie will be out on DVD in late February:

https://twitter.com/precurenews01/status/1472012629887488000

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Welp, it’s confirmed now that the coloring book scans were in fact legit and we’ve got some silhouettes of our new Precure team:

https://twitter.com/kikra1/status/1473923490910961666

Full reveal likely coming in January

Here are the scans again for reference:

The prince looking guy is named Rosemary and the fairies are Pamupamu (Ham), MenMen (Noodle) and Komekome (Rice).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 29, 2021

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Toei sure does love its cliffhangers for New Years Break!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

“If the law can’t be bent then I….”

Seems my hunch was correct and Laura does have a plan for dealing with the whole memory wiping law (my guess is either circumventing it by choosing to remain a human and give up any hope of becoming queen, or overhaul the entire system by force)

Hell of a start to the series endgame as well that finally gives us some much needed backstory on our major antagonist, definitely looking forward to next time.

Also thanks to recent scans the Legendary Precure finally has a name: Cure Oasis

Since they just recently posted an official picture of the team in silhouette and it seems the coloring book pages I posted earlier were legit we should be getting our first real look at Delicious Party within the week as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Delicious Party will begin on February 6th

https://twitter.com/precurenews01/status/1475493453274357760

New episode titles for Tropical Rouge are also out now, confirming the show will indeed be 46 episodes in total.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Toei appears to have put out a full on information ban regarding Delicious Party:

https://twitter.com/kamikitafutago/status/1475970719612039172?t=pfEpcalDqm9cdGXphTUAbA&s=19

At this rate it probably won’t be until early January before we get our first official look at the designs/characters

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Eagerly awaiting Toy catalog/promo material leaks and people finding hidden stuff on the website as per usual

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Eagerly awaiting Toy catalog/promo material leaks and people finding hidden stuff on the website as per usual

So far we do have some coloring book leaks I posted earlier showing off the fairies, mentor character and two of the Cures that have been proven to be legit (the yellow (I assume) one has ramen hair and she’s amazing) as well as a more recent scan showing the team in silhouette:

Larryb posted:

Welp, it’s confirmed now that the coloring book scans were in fact legit and we’ve got some silhouettes of our new Precure team:

https://twitter.com/kikra1/status/1473923490910961666

Full reveal coming in January most likely

Here are the scans again for reference:

The prince looking guy is named Rosemary and the fairies are Pamupamu (Ham), MenMen (Noodle) and Komekome (Rice).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 29, 2021

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

The art style is really cute. Wonder why they're locking down so hard.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

blossommirage posted:

The art style is really cute. Wonder why they're locking down so hard.

I’d say either they’ve got something big planned for this or Toei is finally learning from their mistakes after multiple decades and things will be like this every year from now on.

As for the artstyle, I wouldn’t be surprised if the character designer from Maho Girls was in charge of this one as it sort of looks like her handiwork.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't know whether it fits better in the idol anime thread or the magical girl anime thread but, the revue starlight movie preliminary subs are out and it kicks all kinds of rear end

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Maybe this year the midseason cure won't be revealed by people hacking the toys a week or so after release!

Oh the Revue Starlight subs are out? Great been looking forward to it after Rondo Rondo Rondo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the subs aren't actually out per se, but their doing streams on twitch of the preliminary versions. First airing was last night, second airing just ended. I think the schedule is on the english language revue discord

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Maybe this year the midseason cure won't be revealed by people hacking the toys a week or so after release!

They tried that with the Mermaid Aqua Pot which required QR codes to unlock new content but people still wound up uncovering LaMer by causing a stack overflow error in one of the built-in minigames

One thing they could possibly do is take a cue from Kamen Rider (the toy versions of the transformation devices in W and Ex-Aid are by themselves just useless hunks of plastic and all the sounds and such come from the items you put inside them), you can’t uncover content if it doesn’t exist on the device to begin with after all.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Man, the Precure series has the same problem Tokusatsu shows do - I want to watch one, but I'll be damned if I can pick which one. I'm currently sixteen episodes into Futari Wa Precure and it's SO cute I love it, and I want a more modern one to compare/contrast against it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Man, the Precure series has the same problem Tokusatsu shows do - I want to watch one, but I'll be damned if I can pick which one. I'm currently sixteen episodes into Futari Wa Precure and it's SO cute I love it, and I want a more modern one to compare/contrast against it.

The two most recent seasons Healin Good and Tropical Rouge (which is about 4 episodes from the end currently) are up on Crunchyroll if you wanted to check those out and the 19th season Delicious Party will begin on February 6th. The 14th seasons KiraKira is also available on the same site (for everything else you’ll have to resort to fansubs for the time being)

Precure is like Sentai in that aside from two direct sequels (Max Heart which follows Futari Wa and GoGo which follows Yes 5) early on every season is pretty much self-contained so you can go in more or less whatever order you please

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 4, 2022

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Wait, is Star Twinkle not streaming? That's the best one in the past four years.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

blossommirage posted:

Wait, is Star Twinkle not streaming? That's the best one in the past four years.

Not in the US at least (and if you live in the UK I believe only KiraKira and Futari Wa are legally available)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I hope we get it at some point and the Star Twinkle movie as it was amazing

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Crunchyroll doesn’t seem to do movies but you never know. Also both Max Heart and Maho Girls have been available on the French equivalent for a while now but for some reason still have yet to be brought over and English.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject of Precure, this could potentially be something:

https://twitter.com/YameteTomete/status/1479093605902000135

I forget, did the final season of Symphogear leave any possible doors open for a sequel?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 6, 2022

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

No, it didn't leave any loose threads. But Symphogear is the kinda of series you can do a new series with just by having a brand threat to face

Or they could animate XDU stuff which has some wild AU stuff

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Off the subject of Precure, this could potentially be something:

https://twitter.com/YameteTomete/status/1479093605902000135

I forget, did the final season of Symphogear leave any possible doors open for a sequel?

Not really. By the end of XV they had tied up all the ongoing plot threads, dealt with every single villain and villainous organization the show introduced, answered basically all of the remaining series questions, decisively resolved one of the major cosmological aspects of the entire show, gave absolutely everyone a sendoff, and then Hibiki and Miku held hands. It was very apparent that around GX they had started angling specifically for this particular ending with the intention of it being the definitive ending for the show.

Which isn't to say that they couldn't do a sequel or a side story or what have you. Even setting aside the mobage, Symphogear is a setting that is wide open for random poo poo to just happen. At the start of season three there's a random bit of text reporting that sometime between G and GX Hibiki and the rest apparently fought a mad scientist who was extorting Nevada with an earthquake machine and also there is apparently just a Minotaur somewhere underground in Greece (though they didn't fight it). Meanwhile, officially canonical material explains that the EU imploded economically sometime during the course of the show and now Europe is "the dark continent" (except for Greece, Greece is doing just fine) and all sorts of bad things are happening there and this is completely unimportant to the events of the show except as an excuse for why the cast are doing superhero search and rescue offscreen.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Maybe they could do a next generational sequel with a new cast set a few years later (though I wouldn’t mind seeing the OG gang in action again as well). Either way, it would be neat if a new anime project (or even just a movie) was in the works as part of the anniversary celebration.

And speaking of the mobile game, I wouldn’t be surprised if this was related to one of the upcoming projects:

https://twitter.com/YameteTomete/status/1472489320376377345

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 6, 2022

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
A spiritual successor of Symphogear would be fine, too. All you need is music you can sing along to, madly inventive action, a gleefully camp story, and plenty of cute couples in the main cast. We've had mecha idols, maybe we could have ninja boybands or monster-girl rappers battling to save/destroy the world.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

A spiritual successor of Symphogear would be fine, too. All you need is music you can sing along to, madly inventive action, a gleefully camp story, and plenty of cute couples in the main cast. We've had mecha idols, maybe we could have ninja boybands or monster-girl rappers battling to save/destroy the world.

no

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On a similar note, was the Symphogear manga ever translated? And if so, is it just a straight adaption of the anime or is it its own thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

On a similar note, was the Symphogear manga ever translated? And if so, is it just a straight adaption of the anime or is it its own thing?

I can name two different Symphogear manga both of which have fan translations. The first was just a condensed manga version of the first season with one or two changes or embellishments that don't really shift the story much. The most notable thing about that one was it added a bunch more things with Kanade prior to her dying so if you really care about her that's nice.

The second, ongoing one is a cooking manga starring Shirabe. Also, most of the dead characters are alive and around to hang out for explicitly no reason. It's essentially just a Symphogear version of "Today's Menu for the Emiya Family", so yeah 10/10.