Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

I can name two different Symphogear manga both of which have fan translations. The first was just a condensed manga version of the first season with one or two changes or embellishments that don't really shift the story much. The most notable thing about that one was it added a bunch more things with Kanade prior to her dying so if you really care about her that's nice.

The second, ongoing one is a cooking manga starring Shirabe. Also, most of the dead characters are alive and around to hang out for explicitly no reason. It's essentially just a Symphogear version of "Today's Menu for the Emiya Family", so yeah 10/10.

Neat, the wiki article for the series only mentioned one manga that ran from 2011 to 2013. What’s the second one called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Larryb posted:

On a similar note, was the Symphogear manga ever translated? And if so, is it just a straight adaption of the anime or is it its own thing?
It's mostly just a compressed retelling of the first season but it's a relatively short read and has good HibiMiku content.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Neat, the wiki article for the series only mentioned one manga that ran from 2011 to 2013. What’s the second one called?

Senki Kanshoku Symphogear ~Shirabe Meshi~/Symphogear: Feast of the Valkyries ~Shirabe's Cooking~

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Delicious Party website has finally been updated and we have the official designs. If anyone wants to translate the important bits feel free:

https://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/delicious-party_precure/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/precure_marv/status/1479920851181047816

so CUTE

e: I also love this detail:

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1479925920433688576

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We’ve got civilian names and VAs for our new trio as well:

Pink: Yui Nagomi / Cure Precious (VA: Hana Hishikawa)

Blue: Kokone Fuwa / Cure Spicy (VA: Risa Shimizu)

Yellow: Ran Hanamichi / Cure YumYum (VA: Yuka Iguchi)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Imma say it:

I'm sick and tired of the Pink/Blue/Yellow trios!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I like the designs at least, have some more pictures:

https://twitter.com/curehibiki01/status/1479924726902394880

https://twitter.com/curehibiki01/status/1479923002439393286

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And whaddya know, YumYum’s VA is yet another Symphogear alumni (specifically she’s Miku). On a similar note, the new villain is voiced by Kirika from the same series

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 8, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also we have a plot now:

“Cookingdom is a delicious happy world run by cooking. One day, the Recipebbons, the treasured power with with they cook, are taken by the phantom thief Capture Gang. Next, they're after the cooking fairies, Recipeppis.

The Energy fairies arrive at Yummy Town in search of the Recipebbons and by chance, three ordinary girls become PreCure! They'll get back the recipebbons, protect everyone's smiles, and defeat the Capture Gang!”

We’ve got a clip of the OP as well:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MzysfMb4vwg

White Hat Guy in the background is sort of giving me Tuxedo Mask vibes as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 8, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lastly, it appears the main weapons for the team are somewhat gun-like as well (which might be a first for the series):

Edit: And we have a trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hez_UB6ay5Y

Edit2: Also some character bios:

Yui Nagomi / Cure Precious: (Pink)

Yui is a relaxed, straightforward, and energetic 2nd year middle school student. she is an only child. She has outstanding physical drive and gets hungry quickly. Yui cherishes her grandmother's motto, "food are smiles".

Kokone Fuwa / Cure Spicy: (Blue)

Kokone is a fashionable, cool beauty. She's a 2nd year middle school student who loves make-up and cute things. She is an only child. She's called the flower of Takamine. She loves to be alone, and doesn't speak much.

Ran Hanamichi / Cure Yum-Yum: (Yellow)

Ran is a cute 2nd year middle school student who loves to talk. She has a little sister and a little brother. She is very curious about food, and when she gets excited, she can't stop talking. She secretly posts about rice on "CureSta".
Last

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 9, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yeah pretty sure that is the Mid Season Cure.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

She’s probably gonna be purple again as well, but if it means Ai Kayano gets to voice a Precure then I won’t be too terribly upset about it

Seems like we’re getting a fairly unique Blue this time judging by her profile and having watched the trailer I posted above I already like Yui quite a bit.

Good TR episode tonight as well that answered a lot of questions (and next week it seems we’ll answer what’s left)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I for one am shocked that the the Butler is the main bad guy. Totally didn't see it coming nope

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also Manatsu sucks at stealth and the big demon from the Queen’s flashback is definitely coming back in some form, especially seeing as this is apparently the music for the final battle:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WLHsFMYjlaE

I should also point out that the Japanese word for “seahorse” literally means “dragon’s child” or in some cases “dragon’s bastard child”

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 9, 2022

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Honestly kind of impressive how much her design conveys 'nice kid in with a very bad crowd'.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Her name is “Gentle” apparently

Also based on the preview, Rosemary is giving me major himbo vibes and I kind of like him already (kind of curious what’s the deal with the Tuxedo Mask-esque guy behind the Cures in the main picture though)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 9, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So apparently the fairies (or at least one of them) in Delicious Party will also have human forms:

Seems like said forms can grow up as well judging by the picture, wonder how that’s going to work (I’m guessing kind of like Ha-Chan from Maho Girls).

Some more merchandise pictures can be found in this Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/precure/comments/s0ynu2/delicious_party_precure_merchandise/

Seems the watches are essentially the Aqua Pot equivalent of the series and the mascots themselves are what allow the Cures to transform (so basically Mofurun except there’s three of her).

Looking through Bandai's page (the actual primary source) shows that the phrase 変身 only appears on the page with the mascot toys.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 11, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also the MOTW of the new season have a name, not entirely sure what it means though:

https://twitter.com/precurenews01/status/1480723427333849089

Edit: Apparently the name comes from Ubau, meaning to steal/rob/take away.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 13, 2022

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

my god. we're dealing with cereal mascot commercial villains.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

They seem to be based on cooking utensils if the Whisk monster shown above is any indication.

Also human KomeKome is adorable and I hope the other fairies get similar forms:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 16, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And the Butler did it, what a surprise. They also gave Cure Oasis both a transformation sequence and a finisher though which was neat (additionally I just learned she’s voiced by Mai Nakahara), her real name is “Aunete” apparently but I’m not sure if that’s supposed to mean anything.

Also guess the Witch is just dead now but at least she got to be with her girlfriend again at the end. Kind of surprised Chongire didn’t get reformed after his Yaraneeda form got taken out as well

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Also guess the Witch is just dead now but at least she got to be with her girlfriend again at the end. Kind of surprised Chongire didn’t get reformed after his Yaraneeda form got taken out as well

Let's not be hasty on that last point, there are still two episodes left...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

Let's not be hasty on that last point, there are still two episodes left...

True, and I’m pretty sure the three generals will be surviving the season at least (especially since Elda pretty deliberately saved Manatsu near the start of the episode).

Speaking of, kind of odd we never saw her or Numeri bust out their attacks from the OP at any point in the series (we’ve never physically seen Asuka’s brother either) but there’s still time.

I will say the Witch becoming the Witch of Delays because she subconsciously didn’t want to hurt the only person that showed her kindness was a nice touch at least

Meanwhile Butler (I really hope we get a better name for him before the series is over) just seems to want to watch the world burn.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 16, 2022

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Chongire didn't really have the time or opportunity to do much of anything after getting returned to normal, Numeri and Elda are clearly no longer especially loyal to the cause, and Butler just backstabbed them again by stealing their Motivation Power. It's basically guaranteed that they'll end up lending a hand in the final battle once they're back on their feet (or tails).

As for Butler, his motivation seems to be that he's, well, a butler. He's the most senior and loyal servant of a being who exists to destroy the world, and so carrying out that mission in her place is a supreme act of loyalty and devotion to him. I assume that this will play a part in how the Cures get to him on a personal level in the final episode, because this isn't just a show about beating bad people to death.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Chongire didn't really have the time or opportunity to do much of anything after getting returned to normal, Numeri and Elda are clearly no longer especially loyal to the cause, and Butler just backstabbed them again by stealing their Motivation Power. It's basically guaranteed that they'll end up lending a hand in the final battle once they're back on their feet (or tails).

As for Butler, his motivation seems to be that he's, well, a butler. He's the most senior and loyal servant of a being who exists to destroy the world, and so carrying out that mission in her place is a supreme act of loyalty and devotion to him. I assume that this will play a part in how the Cures get to him on a personal level in the final episode, because this isn't just a show about beating bad people to death.

So he’s basically just a giant simp then.

Anyway, I’m 50/50 on Butler surviving the series at this point (since he doesn’t seem to have any other motivation other than fanatical devotion to the person the Witch used to be). As for the other 3, maybe they’ll wind up joining the Gran Ocean or something (I do wish we’d gotten some backstories for them though as now I’m curious just how and why they wound up in the Witch’s employ but perhaps we could possibly get a little of that in the last two episodes)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 16, 2022

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

So he’s basically just a giant simp then.

Anyway, I’m 50/50 on Butler surviving the series at this point (since he doesn’t seem to have any other motivation other than fanatical devotion to the person the Witch used to be). As for the other 3, maybe they’ll wind up joining the Gran Ocean or something (I do wish we’d gotten some backstories for them though as now I’m curious just how and why they wound up in the Witch’s employ but perhaps we could possibly get a little of that in the last two episodes)

I think it goes beyond being a mere simp - he's as much a conceptual personification as the Witch of Destruction, only he was never given a reason to betray his own nature. He's not just a butler, he's the epitome of butlerhood. I assume that the rest of the Witch's servants are much the same, except that the concepts they embody give them much more freedom (being the chef for the being destined to destroy the world doesn't make you an enthusiastic world-destroyer yourself).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I think it goes beyond being a mere simp - he's as much a conceptual personification as the Witch of Destruction, only he was never given a reason to betray his own nature. He's not just a butler, he's the epitome of butlerhood. I assume that the rest of the Witch's servants are much the same, except that the concepts they embody give them much more freedom (being the chef for the being destined to destroy the world doesn't make you an enthusiastic world-destroyer yourself).

Makes sense, I am still curious if we’re ever going to learn his real name though (since I doubt he was called “Butler” during his days as the Witch’s guard).

I also wonder how exactly her gang got past the Gran Ocean barrier twice considering that only mermaids and sea fairies can enter it, maybe one of them used to live there or something.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

I also wonder how exactly her gang got past the Gran Ocean barrier twice considering that only mermaids and sea fairies can enter it, maybe one of them used to live there or something.

Assuming Darth Walrus' take is correct (and it could be) maybe the secret is somewhere in the nature of mermaids themselves. We know that mermaids spawn independently from clamshells, and we know that the Witch apparently came into being ex nihilo as a destructive force, is there any reason to believe that she and her cadre aren't kin to the mermaids?

It may also have something to do with the reason mermaids aren't allowed to spend time with humans, the explanation behind that still hasn't been given…

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So Crunchyroll has announced the rest of their Winter lineup and it seems Delicious Party isn’t on it:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/anime-news/2021/12/21/crunchyroll-announces-winter-2022-lineup

Granted, it’s possible they could still announce it later after Tropical Rouge ends but we’ll see I guess (and even if it doesn’t someone’s bound to fansub the series at the very least)

In the meantime we do have this preview image from the manga that shows off some more aspects of the characters (for example, Yui is apparently into sports):

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 20, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Preview image for Episode 45:

I mostly just wanted to share this for Oasis’ goofy expression but the possibility of her joining the others for the final battle somehow could be cool

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As for the episode, the final battle was a little rushed but there were some great action shots (almost Gurren Lagann-esque at times) and it’s nice that Oasis got to get in on the action in some way. Next up is the finale where based on the summary it seems Laura’s got a tough choice to make.

A pity the last boss never got a more dignified name than “Butler” but at least we finally got to see Numeri and Elda bust out some of their personal attacks.

Butler living out his days as a shriveled lump is oddly fitting though, I’m glad they decided to at least neutralize him as a threat as opposed to letting him get off scot free ala Ophiuchus from Star Twinkle (also it was funny that Kururun just randomly popped up in front of Manatsu’s mom). Weird how some of the townsfolk were just immune to having their motivation taken though.

It’s been a fun ride overall and hopefully the ending will be decent along with the next series (though Crunchyroll doesn’t seem to have picked it up yet which is a bit worrying to be honest). I’ll miss you Kururun (oh, and those other girls too I guess).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 23, 2022

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Weird how some of the townsfolk were just immune to having their motivation taken though.

The show actually did establish that people can naturally recover from having the motivation taken. Manatsu had her motivation stolen twice and both times managed to recover on her own, and the episode where Numeri was impersonating the Queen she said that the people of Gran Ocean were starting to recover on their own (so they sent a monster to do another sweep of the city).

And the people who were shown getting up and doing things were Yuriko, Manatsu's mother, and the aquarium director who were all probably strong-willed enough to recover more quickly on their own.

As for the final battle, I kind of appreciate that the cast never second-guessed themselves even after being knocked down. It feels on brand for the show and its tone that I got right back up again.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

The show actually did establish that people can naturally recover from having the motivation taken. Manatsu had her motivation stolen twice and both times managed to recover on her own, and the episode where Numeri was impersonating the Queen she said that the people of Gran Ocean were starting to recover on their own (so they sent a monster to do another sweep of the city).

And the people who were shown getting up and doing things were Yuriko, Manatsu's mother, and the aquarium director who were all probably strong-willed enough to recover more quickly on their own.

As for the final battle, I kind of appreciate that the cast never second-guessed themselves even after being knocked down. It feels on brand for the show and its tone that I got right back up again.

Makes sense. As I mentioned above, I do like that they decided to not give Butler his motivation back and that none of the Cures were naive enough to argue with this (it diffuses the threat he poses without having to kill him outright).

Also, the group just having a casual conversation while being knocked down reminded me of a similar discussion Nagisa and Honoka had during the final arc of the original Futari Wa (and in both cases I kind of like it)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Final fight was fun and the finisher fit the season well by being both awesome and silly.

Now just have Laura stay in the human world. Don't pull a Fresh or a hugtto okay please

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Final fight was fun and the finisher fit the season well by being both awesome and silly.

Now just have Laura stay in the human world. Don't pull a Fresh or a hugtto okay please

Speaking of, I’m curious if they’re just going to ignore the whole memory wiping plot by having Laura choose to stay in the human world and letting things continue as normal back in the Gran Ocean (not sure how I’d feel about that though to be honest)

But regardless I’m personally hoping our little mermaid gets to stay part of Manatsu’s world (I’m sure there’s some kind of leadership position at the school she could get if she wanted)

Also that final attack was extremely in keeping with the overall tone of the show, I approve

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 23, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently the next Precure series is going to have a narrator, not sure how that’s gonna work but ok:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-01-23/delicious-party-precure-anime-casts-yoshiko-miyazaki-as-narrator/.181827

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some preview images are out for the Tropical Rouge finale:

https://twitter.com/precurenews01/status/1487057057249300485

Based on the last screenshot it appears that Laura becomes queen but changes the law, thereby allowing her to keep her memories and see her friends again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So I watched the raw for the TR finale and without spoiling anything significant I can confirm that:

-There is no timeskip

-There is no fighting whatsoever (and thus no Cure Precious cameo until the baton pass at the end)

-The memory wiping plot is resolved in a satisfying (enough) manner (and in the most Laura way possible as well)

Overall, decent sendoff. I’m really going to miss these girls.

Farewell until the movie Tropical Rouge, and may flights of sea fairies sing thee to thy rest

Edit: Also the Crunchyroll version sadly cutout a post credits scene starring Yui/Cure Precious from the next season so here it is:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5EvwBHqVCmc

For whatever reason the aforementioned baton pass wasn’t in the subbed version either so here’s that too:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=L8ikxafAYIM

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 30, 2022