Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dingleberry2 posted:

That's my first thought as well.

I do wonder how Lanfear will tempt Rand though, since this version of Randland isn't full of chaste virgins there's not any real reason for them to not hook up.

Lanfear and Rand gonna fuuuck

which honestly will probably help the "doesn't want to kill her even though she's evil" scene later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

She can still tempt him with glory and power. She can just do it while boning him.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Lanfear and Rand gonna fuuuck

which honestly will probably help the "doesn't want to kill her even though she's evil" scene later

Also helps to establish her super possessive nature as well.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

This version of Rand is still devoted to Egwene more than the book version. Having her temptation fail entirely because of Another Woman is an even more perfect insult to Lanfear.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Rand sleeping with Aviendha (allegedly) is what sets Lanfear off on the docks, so it'll be neat to see how the whole thing changes in this turning. I suppose the boring route is "it only counts from after she started harassing him", but maybe they'll do something fun with it!

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Lanfear seduces Egwene to get revenge.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Jon from WoT Up! asked his source about some of the details regarding the leaked pilot script and they said there was supposed to be two sex scenes in the pilot: Rand and Egwene and Mat and Danya, the woman he jacked the bracelet from.

Two sex scenes, focusing on female pleasure :dong: Lanfear gonna put Rand to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq1e5oVyYSk

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Gnoman posted:

An unnamed Novice with a specific actress? Wonder if this will be Else Grinwell's replacement as Lanfear's disguise.

It's entirely possible, keep the dream alive for our horny queen

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Some more evidence for Karima McAdams as a possible Selene/Lanfear.

12 weeks ago she made an instagram post from Morocco.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CU-BMiWKpMV/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link Guy Roberts (Uno) wife, also a cast member in S2 liked this post

The same place where WoT directors keep posting from and Judkins had to scout out :thunk:

wotseries.com posted:

On August 23rd, 2021, McAdams was abroad from London in order to start shooting on a secretive new series. Not much information beyond this is known; however, she is the same height as the body double used to stand in for a character we are quite certain is Selene (see tweet below for more information). Additionally, Sara spotted that McAdams is followed on social media by Ishamael actor, Fares Fares

https://www.wotseries.com/2021/12/26/season-two-cast-melissa-james-jessica-boone-more/

https://twitter.com/geekyeri/status/1430257712453931008

Or could she be an Aviendha candidate??

Hexel fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 8, 2022

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

rocketrobot posted:

I'm pretty sure that's what's going to be happening. Lead the dragon reborn around for a bunch of confrontations that will weaken the Dark One's prison further until people start figuring out their dreams, prophecies, etc have been getting manipulated for 3000 years. That would feed in nicely with Rand's eventual decision to head into the waste to forge his own destiny that we see in the books.

Totally cool with LTT being the dragon reborn in his own age. It was a nice touch to make people think about the cycle of ages.

posting from the future to say i am completely cool with the idea that the teevee show is a retelling of another cycle of the wheel; yeah it's a dark tower-type cop out but it means i get WOT on tv now so :shrug:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You say that now and then we get to season four levels of GoT writing.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

Invalid Validation posted:

:ohdear:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Dawson four was when they ran out of original source material right?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

We did get Hardhome though, which owned to gently caress

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Some speculation that we may have our Elyas for season 2

weavesofthewheel.com posted:

Though unconfirmed, British actor Gary Beadle appears to play a role in the Wheel of Time, having updated his bio on his twitter account to show the Wheel of Time

https://weavesofthewheel.com/2021/07/breaking-new-cast-member-for-the-wheel-of-time/

and then this interaction happened on instagram where Masema's actor responded to Gary Beadle's comment on his post with wolf emoji's

https://twitter.com/geekyeri/status/1479860497776144384

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Also this happened today :toot:

Even bookcloaks must admit the show is a net positive for the series

https://twitter.com/torbooks/status/1479845358444453888

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Hexel posted:

lol people who just watched the show and pick up the book are going to have a trip of it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Eh that's fine, it's still the general fellowship structure, more internal monologue and earlier plot exposition.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Invalid Validation posted:

Yeah, I have to agree with this (although it was S5 IIRC). We've spent a certain amount of time reassuring ourselves and others that WOT isn't going to be "the next Game of Thrones" in that regard specifically because unlike Thrones, the story is completely written and so the writers won't be making it up as they go along. That advantage is thrown away if they do start making poo poo up - I'm not talking about reasonable changes for adaptation here, but major plot deviations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Even with major changes (which I don't anticipate), having the completed work available will be an advantage. Knowing where the original was going would make it so much easier to make changes work.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

How are u posted:

lol people who just watched the show and pick up the book are going to have a trip of it.

This:

MegaZeroX posted:

So, if anyone is interested in seeing show watchers go back and read the book, Nerdy Nightly is doing that now.

has been a really fun and interesting watch so far. They very clearly were not expecting the show and the book to be as divergent as they are.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Sooo... how dumb is the White Tower to generally make any mention of the Black Ajah forbidden? Like... it's clearly a thing and has been for a long time. . You're the most powerful organization known, why wouldn't you consider yourselves to be the top target for infiltration? I don't remember ever really hearing about any efforts to combat this directly, it's all pretended to not exist, even inside the tower.

I mean... an Amyrlin was straight up assassinated, along with more than a few sisters, and yet...??

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

Sooo... how dumb is the White Tower to generally make any mention of the Black Ajah forbidden? Like... it's clearly a thing and has been for a long time. . You're the most powerful organization known, why wouldn't you consider yourselves to be the top target for infiltration? I don't remember ever really hearing about any efforts to combat this directly, it's all pretended to not exist, even inside the tower.

I mean... an Amyrlin was straight up assassinated, along with more than a few sisters, and yet...??

Remember how a bunch of countries pretended COVID wasn’t a thing for months? It’s like that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It also makes sense for the Black to want not to be acknowledged, so I wouldn't be surprised if they'd been working behind the scenes to prevent any motion being raised, etc

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Remember how a bunch of countries pretended COVID wasn’t a thing for months? It’s like that.

Or how states in severe danger from climate change forbid the mention of it in official documents?

Or how every police dept and police union denies the existence of white supremacists groups within their ranks?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I don’t see how that works. Darkfriends are a known phenomenon. It must be absolutely assumed that infiltration of the white tower is a top tier priority. Any hand waving or dismissiveness should probably warrant extra scrutiny.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It also makes sense for the Black to want not to be acknowledged, so I wouldn't be surprised if they'd been working behind the scenes to prevent any motion being raised, etc

Weren’t something like a quarter of the sisters in the White Tower Black Ajah? That’d make them the single biggest ajah too.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Nitrousoxide posted:

Weren’t something like a quarter of the sisters in the White Tower Black Ajah? That’d make them the single biggest ajah too.

Yeah the ultimate list was like 200-250? A huge percentage of the total.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

I don’t see how that works. Darkfriends are a known phenomenon. It must be absolutely assumed that infiltration of the white tower is a top tier priority. Any hand waving or dismissiveness should probably warrant extra scrutiny.

It's spelled out pretty clearly in the text. They flat out refuse to believe there can be darkfriends as aes sedai, and feel that if general population talks about it they'll be unjustly assumed to all be evil.

And as noted, the black ajah itself would be happy to do that too, and new sisters would all take the lead from veterans.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

silvergoose posted:

It's spelled out pretty clearly in the text. They flat out refuse to believe there can be darkfriends as aes sedai

Based on what? There’s no real serious background check and it’s obviously well established that there are evil channelers.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The three oaths, and thousands of years of assuming that?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The female Aes Sedai are also incredibly self-important and look down upon anyone not a fellow sister. See how they treat any stilled sisters, as if they don't know everything that a regular sister would, they are treated as if they are just an untrained commoner. The problems of darkfriends in the rabble surely wouldn't touch the exalted aes sedai.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Institutional... uh... inertia?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

AlternateAccount posted:

Based on what? There’s no real serious background check and it’s obviously well established that there are evil channelers.

In New Spring Moiraine explicitly knows the Black Ajah has been killing people and it still only freshly dawns on her that it means they must have gotten around the three oaths. Like it comes as a huge revelation that Black sisters can lie.

The institutional naivety (further fostered I'm sure by actual Black Ajah prerogatives) is a big thing in the White Tower.

Plus it's not like there aren't countless modern institutions known to ignore inconvenient truths that might damage their reputation if its seen as something that would cause "undue" burden on the institution or its members.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Gwaihir posted:

Yeah the ultimate list was like 200-250? A huge percentage of the total.

There were roughly a thousand sisters when the last battle came. So, yeah, about 20%. That's about the size of the reds and greens combined.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Pleads posted:

In New Spring Moiraine explicitly knows the Black Ajah has been killing people and it still only freshly dawns on her that it means they must have gotten around the three oaths. Like it comes as a huge revelation that Black sisters can lie.

The institutional naivety (further fostered I'm sure by actual Black Ajah prerogatives) is a big thing in the White Tower.

Plus it's not like there aren't countless modern institutions known to ignore inconvenient truths that might damage their reputation if its seen as something that would cause "undue" burden on the institution or its members.

Yeah, every loving institution that's filled with racists, rapists, murders, pedos, or whatever runs the same strategy of denying the existence of any of those in its ranks. And if any ARE caught, those were the only bad ones that existed, and now they're caught, so everyone can stop looking.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Book Aes Sedai are all Ms. Beans

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Hexel posted:

This is great, I am very curious about how 2021 audiences will receive the books.

silvergoose posted:

Eh that's fine, it's still the general fellowship structure, more internal monologue and earlier plot exposition.
The plot exposition in the book is far later and much more gradually revealed. Assuming by 'plot exposition' you mean stuff about the Dragon, how the Power works, and all the boatload of infodump about the world and its history that the show put in early on.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Would be pretty wild to loose your part on the most popular streaming television series of 2021 because you're a chud who refuses to get vaccinated against a deadly disease.
From a few pages back but maybe worth noting that WoT is nowhere near being the most popular streaming television series of 2021.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 9, 2022

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

El Grillo posted:

The plot exposition in the book is far later and much more gradually revealed. Assuming by 'plot exposition' you mean stuff about the Dragon, how the Power works, and all the boatload of infodump about the world and its history that the show put in early on.

There's more info earlier on than in the show (Rand and Mat talk about Logain and men who can channel and stuff in the very first chapters, for example, and Moiraine goes into the five powers to Egwene early on) but also less in some ways, so it's kind of both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Speaking of Logain, the Logain episode loving ruled