Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
IIRC there was someone on the FreeFolk subreddit who knew someone involved in the translating of the episodes into Spanish that provided the detailed spoilers for seasons 6 and 7 but prior to season 8 the source got locked out by an increasingly security conscious HBO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Cactus posted:

Dorne was (I think - was it Dorne?) where I bailed on the books as well. The start of book 4 to be precise. This was just after season 1 had aired, I'd watched it and thought it was the best new show I'd seen in ages, so bought all of the books and started getting caught up. I zipped through the first three like a man possessed and then book four hit and it was a whole new setting with all new characters... all I wanted was to return to the characters and scenarios I'd been so riveted by for three long books, and I knew it was going to be a long, long time before that was going to happen, so I just kind of lost the will to read and fell off it. Really glad I did now, considering how it's all turned out, on both the book and the show side of things.

Those first three books were something else, though, and he should've wrapped it up there.

I'm torn on Feast and Dance sometimes. If you re-read them, you'll notice details that you didn't before, especially when it comes to how characters view the world around them (Victarion especially has lots of little touches). And when you finally kind of grasp how the characters develop, you can get a sense for where the story is going.

On the other hand, F&D are long, laborious reads the first time through if you're expecting for certain kinds of plot developments. While they are cool character studies, there are very few developments in the over-arching grand plots and I absolutely can not blame someone for maybe not wanting to re-read them after having to read about Strong Belwas getting sick on bugs or reading about Qarl the Maid's semen.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

IIRC there was someone on the FreeFolk subreddit who knew someone involved in the translating of the episodes into Spanish that provided the detailed spoilers for seasons 6 and 7 but prior to season 8 the source got locked out by an increasingly security conscious HBO.

I have a college friend who has writing credits on a critically acclaimed show that wrapped up some years back, and she told us a pretty great story where one day in the inter-season for the show, she came to work just to see a bunch of security and suits gathered and waiting for everyone. She was worried someone was going to get fired, especially after they had everyone comb through everyone's recent correspondences, but in the end nobody was reprimanded. The reason why they had to go through the inspection was that a foreign distribution company had nearly leaked every detail of the upcoming season.

It turned out that when they sent materials to the Japanese distribution company, they cut a trailer that was five minutes long and revealed every single plot development and twist that would happen, but curiously treated basic, established information as great mysteries. The way she described it would be if someone cut a trailer for the final season of Breaking Bad where they showed every interesting plot point as if they were nothing, but showed Walter or Jessie's faces with big question marks around them while cutting to Japanese audiences reacting as if nobody knew who those characters were and that their identities would be huge reveals. The American production crew had a sit-down with some people at the distributors and said it wasn't cool and that they needed to definitively destroy the trailer, and asked why they basically showed the entire season in one trailer.

It turns out that other countries have their own dumb focus testing and that certain Japanese production/distribution companies came away with the idea that Japanese audiences aren't interested in feeling suspense over things like character motivations or actions, but that they are more interested in mysteries of basic identity. It's all wrong of course, like a lot of the dumb conclusions that American focus tests perpetuate. I wish she could be here to tell the story because it was really funny and interesting and I guess I thought I would share what I could remember of what she said.

Coquito Ergo Sum fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 6, 2022

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I have a college friend who has writing credits on a critically acclaimed show that wrapped up some years back, and she told us a pretty great story where one day in the inter-season for the show, she came to work just to see a bunch of security and suits gathered and waiting for everyone. She was worried someone was going to get fired, especially after they had everyone comb through everyone's recent correspondences, but in the end nobody was reprimanded. The reason why they had to go through the inspection was that a foreign distribution company had nearly leaked every detail of the upcoming season.

It turned out that when they sent materials to the Japanese distribution company, they cut a trailer that was five minutes long and revealed every single plot development and twist that would happen, but curiously treated basic, established information as great mysteries. The way she described it would be if someone cut a trailer for the final season of Breaking Bad where they showed every interesting plot point as if they were nothing, but showed Walter or Jessie's faces with big question marks around them while cutting to Japanese audiences reacting as if nobody knew who those characters were and that their identities would be huge reveals. The American production crew had a sit-down with some people at the distributors and said it wasn't cool and that they needed to definitively destroy the trailer, and asked why they basically showed the entire season in one trailer.

It turns out that other countries have their own dumb focus testing and that certain Japanese production/distribution companies came away with the idea that Japanese audiences aren't interested in feeling suspense over things like character motivations or actions, but that they are more interested in mysteries of basic identity. It's all wrong of course, like a lot of the dumb conclusions that American focus tests perpetuate. I wish she could be here to tell the story because it was really funny and interesting and I guess I thought I would share what I could remember of what she said.

i think they got a different relationship to spoilers in japan than we do here. the little 'next time on' things that come at the end of anime episodes are often filled with huge spoilers. like it'll be along the lines of what you describe here - just straight up explaining what happens next. :shrug:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ginette Reno posted:

What does it say about me if I'm in my 30s and in that phase already

That you should get checked out for sleep apnea

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Basically most new POV characters, particularly those not adjacent to somewhere where plot is happening or to a previously established POV character made the book drag. The Arianne chapters were all a chore, Dorne is basically only presented via Arianne and Hotah, both are people we know nothing about who at the time of being introduced we never even heard about, and to be fair a whole two books later and they still haven't caught up with the plot, like there's a preview chapter of Arianne going to maybe meet faegon, so yeah of course it sucks, who are these people, why do we care, and that kingsguard who suicides into Areo's axe cause he's the only guy in westeros who takes the kingsguard celibacy oath seriously, and also tries to kidnap his charge, that whole plot is just a big 'why'. And of course the incel dornish prince plot in adwd.

This is part of grrm's writing disease, where he's more of a soap opera writer who feels he simply has to 'show' things from the perspective of POV characters otherwise it's cheap or whatever, I guess it goes both ways, it might be too expensive and expansive to write every single plot thread in this fashion, not to mention that half the plot threads are themselves a result of this over POVing and the story growing so massive and disconnected.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I liked the Arianne chapters because man do those chapters describe Dornish cuisine lavishly and deliciously.
On the other hand I hate the Hotah chapters because all he does is come up with grosser ways to compare Doran's hosed up limbs with more and more fruit

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
At the end of Arya's time at the House of White and Black after killing the Waifu and confronting Jaqen, I wonder if the writers/director/actor meant for Jaqen to come off as oh poo poo I better tell this crazy girl what she wants to hear before she loving slits my throat because that sure as hell is how he came off.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Calaveron posted:

At the end of Arya's time at the House of White and Black after killing the Waifu and confronting Jaqen, I wonder if the writers/director/actor meant for Jaqen to come off as oh poo poo I better tell this crazy girl what she wants to hear before she loving slits my throat because that sure as hell is how he came off.

That was so bizarre. I have no idea where Jaqen's "Now you are noone" line came from.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

That was so bizarre. I have no idea where Jaqen's "Now you are noone" line came from.

It's because that's what he was telling her to become all along, and now that she's going back to Westeros it means she has to finally be no one.

True, that doesn't really make any sense given what actually happened, but that's the big, catchy line. They weren't NOT going to have him say it.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It makes no sense what so ever, but: "Welcome too Westerosworld."

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The best leak was Drogon taking a giant poo poo mid flight and it landing on a bunch of Dothraki and it was the only one i cared about being true and it never happened so gently caress that show.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

And then the entirety of Season 8 got leaked anyway because some other inconspicuous cog in the system went rogue as well, so just like the show itself it was all for nought in the end. That was the best thing ever, seeing Reddit speedrun the five stages of grief as it put 2 and 2 together in its hivemind and realized just how bad the ending was going to be.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

So Arya could have her 'epic comeback' by saying "No, I am Arya Stark of Winterfell and I'm going home. :smuggo:"

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I can just imagine someone in a board room somewhere x-ing over "story" and "narrative cohesion" and underlining "EPIC MOMENTS" on a whiteboard

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

That you should get checked out for sleep apnea

My biggest issue is I'm a terrible night owl and don't go to bed on time on work nights. When I do, I feel fine, but I'm an idiot and rarely do.

That said I have considered getting tested before if only because I'm no longer a permanently thin no matter what I eat 20 year old. I have gotten my weight a lot more under control via diet changes/working out in the past year though and am close to getting below 200 pounds again yay. I know that would typically be one of the first things they recommend prior to getting cpap.

I don't think the bad thread wants to hear about my path towards GRMM-dom though. A fine jape nuncle

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
the most satisfying arc for me over the past ~15 years was seeing all those who came after me slowly lose their faith in the grrm. watching their dissatisfaction with this jabba the hutt pizza eating nfl watching worm grow to hate, as my dissatisfaction grew to hate

they all, in their arrogance, quoting neil gaiman. "grrm is not your bitch". gently caress you neil gaiman

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
They really lay it on thick with Bran when every other line of dialogue of his is just repeating something another character said to that character to make them go whoa dis guy means fucken business

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Phenotype posted:

It's because that's what he was telling her to become all along, and now that she's going back to Westeros it means she has to finally be no one.

True, that doesn't really make any sense given what actually happened, but that's the big, catchy line. They weren't NOT going to have him say it.

This could've had such a far, far more impactful conclusion by showing her getting off a ship in Braavos or another scene with her walking up to the house of black and white since it'd just dump a ton of fuel on the "was that ever actually Arya or was it the Waif" speculation and give the ending at least one interesting result. Instead the closest we get is Jon going beyond the wall with the wildlings who see him as their literal savior and he probably spends the rest of his life (be it days, months, or decades) exploring areas few if any people have ever seen.

Instead, Arya gets trained by the world's best, most secretive assassin guild and they just... let her wander freely?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I have to say, what an absolutely technical achievement the Long Night episode was, getting together all those extras, making so many costumes and props for all of them, having all those special effects and sets, culminating the very existential threat the entire show is based on.
Shame the DP forgot to take the lens cap off the camera before filming any of it.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Gosh. No New Year's update about the books on GM's blog or deep-dive dissection of the Hugo awards. It's almost as if things aren't going well for our queso-stained wretch.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Calaveron posted:

I have to say, what an absolutely technical achievement the Long Night episode was, getting together all those extras, making so many costumes and props for all of them, having all those special effects and sets, culminating the very existential threat the entire show is based on.
Shame the DP forgot to take the lens cap off the camera before filming any of it.

It is perhaps the crowning achievement of wasted time, energy, talent and effort from so many people on something undone so thoroughly by a comparatively small group of people, namely the DP and the writers/producers. They thought they were making Helms Deep in the moment, and it turned out they made the final battle scene from the Eragon movie instead when it all shook out.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Eh it was good for the NI tv/movie industry. They have had a good 20 years after a half century of grief.

Shame GOT cursed those trees tho.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

It is perhaps the crowning achievement of wasted time, energy, talent and effort from so many people on something undone so thoroughly by a comparatively small group of people, namely the DP and the writers/producers.

I remember reading the articles about how all the actors were miserable, they were freezing to death, many were falling into depression from weeks on a nighttime filming schedule, a couple of them (allegedly) needed medical intervention...

...and then I watched the episode and I was like "all of that for this? No. No way."

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

If they're adapting the Dance of the Dragons, they'd better keep all the Muppet-themed Tullys

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So why did Daenaeryese go crazy when she heard the bells anyway?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Collateral posted:

Eh it was good for the NI tv/movie industry. They have had a good 20 years after a half century of grief.

Shame GOT cursed those trees tho.

Plus the new spin off hosed off to London to shoot their studio bits. So they can't even capitalise on HBOs attempts at the spin offs.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Calaveron posted:

She was angry that everyone liked Jon more than her, and Cersei killed one of her dragons, and then Varys tried to poison her because he also liked Jon better than her. So she went “It’s my mental illness, so I get to decide the coping mechanism”, and coped by burning down King’s Landing.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Emotional support dragon.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
But does the ending really gloss over Sam defecting from the night's watch and breaking all of his vows and just hanging out in the capital helping to rule the country.
Also I still can't believe they had the entire retelling of everything that happened omit Tyrion, who is perhaps the single most influential character in the story

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
Do you really need the night's watch now that the walkers are gone forever and the wall is all busted? They never said so but between the walker threat ending and the wildlings becoming members of the new queen/king's retinue, I don't see much of the point of having manned castles protecting a broken wall.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Trudis posted:

Do you really need the night's watch now that the walkers are gone forever and the wall is all busted? They never said so but between the walker threat ending and the wildlings becoming members of the new queen/king's retinue, I don't see much of the point of having manned castles protecting a broken wall.

That's what I thought too until the final episode where they tell Jon he has to gently caress off to the Night's Watch after killing Dany with the understanding that the night watch now really is just a glorified penal colony where they can hide criminals and inconvenient people

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
I remember there was also some discussion of a scene that got cut where Jon and Tormund were supposed to find a fresh body north of the wall in the spiral shape the Others kept using, like an "uh oh here we go again!" moment.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

vseslav.botkin posted:

I remember there was also some discussion of a scene that got cut where Jon and Tormund were supposed to find a fresh body north of the wall in the spiral shape the Others kept using, like an "uh oh here we go again!" moment.

That would have been the most perfectly stupid note to end the whole shebang on and I'm mildly gobsmacked that David and Dan had the self-restraint to cut it.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Calaveron posted:

When she gets to King's Landing there's supposed to be another fake Targaryen who's already conquered the city and taken charge. Everyone loves him, church bells are ringing and dragon banners are waving and people are lining the streets cheering for Rhaegar's son Aegon, who has an obviously superior familial claim to the throne, so Dany goes full Mad King and burns it all down rather than let someone else have what she's spent all this time fighting for.

But D&D cut Jon Connington and Aegon and replaced them with Jorah Mormont and Nothing, and then didn't replace that Mad King madness-inducing motivation for Dany with anything else, so all the only plot points we're left with after all the cuts are "bells ringing" and "Dany burns King's Landing".

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

vseslav.botkin posted:

See, this is why once the show got stupid it needed to be 1000x stupider. It just got blandly stupid.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

vseslav.botkin posted:

I am gonna need receipts for this because I can’t believe it.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I've seen it too. Here's the final version of the script.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.......they stare for a moment at the unnerving scene.

Jon turns to the Camera and says "Ruh Roh"

Then Tormund throws his hands up and says "I'm getting to old for this poo poo"

Finally Arya runs in from off screen and says. "It's your kids, Jon. Something gotta be done about your kids! We need to go back to the Future Wall."

*Smash cut to black*

Journey's Don't stop believing kicks in over the closing credits.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 10, 2022

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Yeah that scene was a rumor that popped up right after the finale aired. A slightly less dumb variation on the scene was one where they hear a commotion in the woods to find a zombie on the ground freaking out and trying to grab at them.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

EDIT: On second thought I didn't want to post that.

Coquito Ergo Sum fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm still surprised none of those "fake" ending that they allegedly shot in order to gently caress with people trying to spy on the show's filming haven't leaked yet, but then again they're probably all just raw footage on a hard drive somewhere. Again, it's just a perfect metaphor that they wasted a bunch of people's time filming all sorts of fake scenes including hiring old actors whose storylines were finished to come back and hang around set in costume for the purpose of obfuscation and protecting the secrecy of the show, and then the entire plot right down to the final scene leaks before it even premiered on TV.

Every element of the series, books and show alike was literally all for nothing.