Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Also, idk if it’s cause I always try to watch it hungover but I’ve never made it through more than a few episodes of disenchanted without falling asleep. I’ve still “watched” every episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A MIRACLE posted:

Wow is Picard that bad. It looked interesting

it's almost so bad you have to see it to believe how bad it is

like, reallly. really really. it's SO BAD

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
picard is so bad it makes most of TNG look absolutely fine, good even

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Most of TNG is absolutely fine, good even.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
TNG is mostly fine or good, but the bad episodes really suck and stick out.

A MIRACLE posted:

Also, idk if it’s cause I always try to watch it hungover but I’ve never made it through more than a few episodes of disenchanted without falling asleep. I’ve still “watched” every episode

It's a weirdly low-key show. I still feel like I like it, but there just aren't too many big laughs to break it up and I'm struggling to remember much except for a few big plot points. Just one of those fine background shows. Futurama's back on reruns on Adult Swim and I've kind of enjoyed the nostalgia trip. I feel like it still mostly holds up.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

A MIRACLE posted:

I’ll check out the below decks show

Also the Lizzy caplan cartoon with Christian slater had a promising first season

Lower Decks started out bad but as of now it is the best new Trek show.

The difference is that Lower Decks is written by people who actually like Star Trek. I am pretty sure the writers for Discovery and Picard hate Star Trek and are thus doing their best to make it something totally not Trek and awful.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I never got into Star Trek.

It just seems like Star Wars but with all the fun stuff taken out. And Star Wars is mostly boring anyway.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

I never got into Star Trek.

It just seems like Star Wars but with all the fun stuff taken out. And Star Wars is mostly boring anyway.

its nothing like star wars

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I like space fantasy. Star Wars is like 90% of the space fantasy that exists. I'll take what I can get, even if I complain about how mediocre it is.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Booyah- posted:

its nothing like star wars

Okay, now I'm much more interested.

Maybe one day I'll check out "The Next Generation" since it seems to be near the top or at the top of peoples lists.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

its probably best to use an episode guide and only watch the 4/5 and 5/5 episodes, especially with TNG. watch s1e1 and then just jump to the next good episode. it's not like a modern show where every episode assumes you've seen all the previous ones, so there's no reason to watch the real stinkers on your first run.

TNG is what I grew up with and my sentimental favorite, but DS9 holds up way better to a complete watch-through

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also there are 178 episodes of TNG alone. Network TV!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

smackfu posted:

Also there are 178 episodes of TNG alone. Network TV!

Network? Wasn't it syndicated?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Booyah- posted:

its probably best to use an episode guide and only watch the 4/5 and 5/5 episodes, especially with TNG. watch s1e1 and then just jump to the next good episode. it's not like a modern show where every episode assumes you've seen all the previous ones, so there's no reason to watch the real stinkers on your first run.

TNG is what I grew up with and my sentimental favorite, but DS9 holds up way better to a complete watch-through

A lot of those lists don't include Conspiracy because its so different from standard trek, but I think its worth watching if only for the ending.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Booyah- posted:

EH. I went through TNG awhile back and it really does callback more than you would think. A lot of Worf's stuff in particular builds upon itself. I'd say use a guide to watch Seasons 1 and 2 which are not good but have good stuff and some important stuff to contextualize later stuff. But I think Season 3 you might as well just watch straight.

But also I think everyone should watch "Balance of Terror" from TOS. It's an amazing episode, requires no context. Just a good submarine movie in space.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I don't really understand the idea of 'using a guide' for watching a tv show. If you're gonna watch a show, just watch it. Yeah TNG seasons 1 and 2 aren't great but if you skip around you'll definitely miss some good things.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 9, 2022

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

TNG is the perfect show to put on while you paint miniatures, fold laundry, or do other basic chores since it doesn't require all that much attention to follow along with what's happening, and also there are a million episodes.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Wait... Party Down is coming back?!?! Hell yes!

From November but I totally missed it

https://deadline.com/2021/11/party-...out-1234874850/

Nice. Strange news, but nice.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I thought this was the cowboy bebop thread ??

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't really understand the idea of 'using a guide' for watching a tv show. If you're gonna watch a show, just watch it. Yeah TNG seasons 1 and 2 aren't great but if you skip around you'll definitely miss some good things.

Yeah wouldn’t want to miss the most racist episode in Star Trek, or the Space Irish, or the clip show episode. Vital to understanding the series! Vital!

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Entire season of Search Party dropped all at once!? Very cool. Still going to have to wait until I finish up the most recent season of Fargo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

toggle posted:

I thought this was the cowboy bebop thread ??

it is now the Party Down thread

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

precision posted:

it is now the Party Down thread

Search Party Downton Abbey

mystes
May 31, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Search Party Downton Abbey
The downt look up thread

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Yellowjackets, Station Eleven, and The Expanse all have their season finales this week. I absolutely hate week to week viewing and have been waiting for these to finish up so I can binge them. Which of those three should I watch first?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm thinking Station Eleven.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Finally getting into Devs. Just a few eps in but I absolutely love it.

The visual language, the sound design and score, the concept. All super loving cool.

Unfortunately I'm not a fan of the female lead, but it's not a deal breaker or anything. Just don't like her acting style.

Edit: I know her from her other roles but for some reason never knew she was the dancer in the wide open video. Love that video.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 9, 2022

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Finally getting into Devs. Just a few eps in but I absolutely love it.

The visual language, the sound design and score, the concept. All super loving cool.

Unfortunately I'm not a fan of the female lead, but it's not a deal breaker or anything. Just don't like her acting style.

I liked it overall, but there's a scene where one of the technicians is looking at a screen and says, "those are dinosaurs. We are actually looking at dinosaurs." And I realized I wanted a show about that, but no, the show wants you to Feel Bad About the Time Camera so it's about all the horrible things surrounding it. Granted I'm bad at watching things, but I didn't even really get why Jack's boss from Fight Club wanted to kill everyone.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

I liked it overall, but there's a scene where one of the technicians is looking at a screen and says, "those are dinosaurs. We are actually looking at dinosaurs." And I realized I wanted a show about that, but no, the show wants you to Feel Bad About the Time Camera so it's about all the horrible things surrounding it. Granted I'm bad at watching things, but I didn't even really get why Jack's boss from Fight Club wanted to kill everyone.
I don't think a lot of things about the show make that much sense if you think about them too hard. It felt like they just started with the first episode/premise and then made it up as they went along.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

It's very pretty and the ambiance is wonderful; that's all it took to get me to like Alien 3 and even Resurrection a little, so I still say watch it. But then watch Raised by Wolves.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

mystes posted:

I don't think a lot of things about the show make that much sense if you think about them too hard. It felt like they just started with the first episode/premise and then made it up as they went along.

The whole show is futurist nonsense built on plot points that are unreasonable, e.g. "we built a computer with functionally limitless power in modern times". (I don't think that's a major spoiler) I still loved it. Just don't go in expecting an airtight plot and enjoy the concepts instead. And maybe don't hold out too much hope for the main character being charismatic, like at all. I would say if you enjoyed the sleepier parts of Ex Machina it's definitely worth watching.

I still often think about [finale spoilers]the idea that a perfect digital simulation of every particle in your body/brain would therefore operate exactly in the simulation as a real person would in real life, and is therefore a form of life itself. I'm sure Devs didn't invent that concept but it's the first time I really thought about it. Obviously it's impossible with any form of computing we can even theorize at this point, but still.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 9, 2022

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I liked a lot of about the production of Devs, but for a show about the philosophical interpretation of quantum mechanics, it's real stupid about both philosophy and quantum mechanics. It's like if Ex Machina had an extra hour to its run time where it ineptly talked about whether Ava had qualia.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

Also been burning thru the Catherine the great show

Just finished season 2. I've enjoyed it a lot - it's very funny and I appreciate the fact that it's very self-aware in how not historically accurate it is. But as the narrative continues to stray further and further from history, I find myself wondering, "Why make the show about Catherine the Great at all, if it's going to go in this wild direction?" In season 1 I found it easier to say, "Okay, well, none of it happened this way but it at least captures some of the spirit of the events as well as some of the figures." I went into it thinking, "Okay, it'll be sort of a heightened reality thing like 'Death of Stalin,'" and season 1 more or less provided that. With season 2's finale, when I ask myself, "Where are they going next?", it's not with wonder or exhilaration - it's with trepidation, maybe even a little dread. I've liked this show overall so far, but I'm not sure I like where it's going.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I marathoned all ten seasons of Letterkenny in the past week. It's a great show. It runs jokes into the ground until they're not funny anymore, then pushes past that until they're funny again, and then is wise enough to drop them. I felt burnt out around seasons 8 and 9, and the main reason was the town got too big. Too many characters, too many plots. Felt a little soap-opera-y in some parts; the best is when the show is a slice of small town life, and the worst is when there's some arch-villain for the town to fight. Or Fartbook, I can't believe I made it through that episode and still wanted to watch more. Season 10 was definitely a return to form though. The "Skids" even acted like skids instead of... whatever the show turned them into.

Slowdive
Jun 9, 2016

Slowdive posted:

This season of Expanse is kinda disappointing, very pedestrian, plus the actor who plays Marco is so ridiculously over the top in the worst possible way, i find all his scenes so hard to watch

OK so the last 15 mins of the latest episode were quite riveting, the finale might be good, although i can't see how they will tie everything up

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Yellowjackets, Station Eleven, and The Expanse all have their season finales this week. I absolutely hate week to week viewing and have been waiting for these to finish up so I can binge them. Which of those three should I watch first?

Yellowjackets has had plenty of water cooler talk, and I've had a lot of things spoiled for me on twitter. I'm glad that I'm finally caught up and can watch the season finale live with everyone else.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yellowjackets is a great show and I definitely think it was better weekly instead of all at once. The threads are fun, discussing theories and ideas. All good water cooler char

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yellow jackets is good

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Yellowjackets has two episodes left. The finale is 1/16, not tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

I'm thinking Station Eleven.

It is the best of the bunch you mentioned.