Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i've never heard of the studio before which is always a good sign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

kater posted:

Cue seems a pretty good garbage fire of a show. Fifteen plus characters lol.

not much different from your average idolm@ster anime's cast size, and they've already confirmed the show is 24 eps. plenty of time to give everyone at least one focus ep if they so choose

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
That and there’s evidence already in the show that 1) not all 15 of these girls will pass the audition for the show they’re trying out for and 2) the OP/ED/whatnot seemed to very heavily suggest that there’s a core group of 4 that will get the most focus anyways.

So 24 episodes should give at least some hope that there will be a bit of time to flesh things out.

Also re: the toku monster show was more interesting than I figured from the PV so I’m excited to see where that’ll go too.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

animes that skip the OP in their first episode to run credits over actual story, are cowards

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

kater posted:

Cue seems a pretty good garbage fire of a show. Fifteen plus characters lol.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded introduces 23 characters in episode 1, with most of them remaining relevant in one way or another for the entire series, even ignoring the dozens of characters introduced later.

It's a matter of how well a show juggles the cast as much as it is raw size.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't feel like, generally speaking, mobage adaptations have earned much benefit of the doubt

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

dogsicle posted:

i don't feel like, generally speaking, mobage adaptations have earned much benefit of the doubt

Mobage adaptation probably have a 50/50 shot of being good or bad so it isn't as much of a curse like say Video game anime...But ones that focus on a large cast instead of focusing on a small part tend to have more of a mountain to climb

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mobage anime are also Video Game anime though.......

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The 7th Guest posted:

animes that skip the OP in their first episode to run credits over actual story, are cowards

having a chuckle thinking about idolish7 s3 again, which aired its first two eps with no op, and then the director tweeted about how they have to keep cutting the op for time. so the replies were all like "oh, so we're getting the op in ep 3?"

then ep 3 airs and they cut out the ed too

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The 7th Guest posted:

Not anime, but there was like a straight up a like 10 episode stretch of Kamen Rider Ex-Aid where they did not run the OP.

And Kamen Rider Ex-Aid has one of the better Rider OPs!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The issue with Cue is not that it has a whole bunch of characters, the issue is that it's an anime about voice acting where the centerpiece of the first episode is a scene where everyone is supposed to be wowed by the characters doing a read of Hamlet, but despite that it's impossible to decide if the voicing was meant to be good or bad. The show has the other characters do stuff like "wow, from just how they say it, it's like you can really picture the scene", but the show actually visually depicted the scene.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
all the other criticisms of the show in this thread are about the cast size and i think thats just funny

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
i think i shall watch

Bisque Doll
Tokyo 24-ku
Genius Prince
DisqualiCrest
Kuroitsu-san

i might even finish a series this season!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

re:zero looks at the face of OPs and laughs
and then does the same to EDs for good measure

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
what

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they're saying re:zero skips the op/ed a lot to have more runtime for the actual episode. i believe the second rezero s1 op only played like 3-4 times due to this.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i call that self-indulgence. the people want to see an OP!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Mushoku Tensei system of using the OP to play an establishing montage for each episode was so good.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The Mushoku Tensei system of using the OP to play an establishing montage for each episode was so good.
The instrumental really helped that work. It was pretty much made for epic vista's and quaint slice of life stuff.

In retrospect, I much more like that than the slight change due to plot progression that other OPs add.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

they stole this from Aria! but i'm glad someone's keeping that idea alive even if its a show i dont like

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

they stole this from Aria! but i'm glad someone's keeping that idea alive even if its a show i dont like
aria stole this from Blue Comet Super Personal Trooper Layzner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJWpOqrMtjs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

layzner is a great series just because the ending is the protagonist rolling his mech up to the enemy base, *getting out of it*, and proceeding to run through the enemy base punching people and throwing them off railings like he's kazuma kiryu.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just one more thing anime stole that from Gerry Anderson shows.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

aria stole this from Blue Comet Super Personal Trooper Layzner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJWpOqrMtjs

this is a completely different thing

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Endorph posted:

layzner is a great series just because the ending is the protagonist rolling his mech up to the enemy base, *getting out of it*, and proceeding to run through the enemy base punching people and throwing them off railings like he's kazuma kiryu.

lol that sounds awesome

marumaru
May 20, 2013

it was so, so nice. beautiful vistas and lovely music, really makes the fantasy world feel fantastic. it's one of my favorite OPs, tbh.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Princess Connect season 2 had a solid first episode.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Anyone else watch the first episode of the mushroom terrorist show? Its my kind of weird

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

of course, gotta support the 1% of light novel shows that aren't set in school or dragon quest

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Davincie posted:

Dav coping hard here

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

copy posted:

lol that sounds awesome

Layzner's a deeply weird series, and sadly not a good one, despite really good OPs and a bunch of things that, on paper, sound badass.

One thing that stands out is how it's the one show I've seen that goes all in on the pilot not mattering. Put Iok in a good SPT, and he'll dominate the universe.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Dav coping hard here

go actually compare the manner of op before you do a seethe attack

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nitrousoxide posted:

Princess Connect season 2 had a solid first episode.

I'm so glad it's back and the comedic timing is still incredibly on point.

https://youtu.be/OjmzDvGb4qg

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Davincie posted:

in fairness to endorph IBMS did say 'establishing montage for each episode' which is what that is. it's just quite different in aria/mt/etc since its not literally a montage of the upcoming ep, its just lingering setpiece shots. isekai-wise mushoku tensei is doing per ep what sukasuka did in ep 1 tho

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Tribe Nine is to baseball as Akudama Drive was to...whatever genre it was. Heist I guess?

Okay it doesn't grab me quite as hard as Akudama Drive or Dangan Ronpa did out of the gate but the episode 1 throwaway villain pitches with a suit of power armor and a baseball railgun so I'll give it a chance.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 11, 2022

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Anyone else watch the first episode of the mushroom terrorist show? Its my kind of weird

It seems cool so far. I'm curious to see where the plot is going, but I like the setting.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

Tribe Nine is to baseball as Akudama Drive was to...whatever genre it was. Heist I guess?

Okay it doesn't grab me quite as hard as Akudama Drive or Dangan Ronpa did out of the gate but the episode 1 throwaway villain pitches with a suit of power armor and a baseball railgun so I'll give it a chance.

That would be because both shows are created by Kazutaka Kodaka, the Danganronpa guy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I originally pointed that out specifically but it got lost in editing.

They also have the same composer and character designer.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

all the other criticisms of the show in this thread are about the cast size and i think thats just funny

I didn’t want to get into details but I was mega in to everyone doing a reading of hamlet and that is sufficiently ridiculous I think garbage fire encompasses it. Legit looking forward to it if it decided that was a cool intro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Also I watched the war of the roses anime and it was dope too.

I may be incapable of disliking something.