Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

jesus WEP posted:

there’s a crusader kings board game?

This is an important question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Watson's Big Snow Day

He actually got out of the backyard a little later when the gate didn't close (latch is frozen). Luckily I was out front shoveling and saw him tear rear end down the street. He only went 40 yards and greeted a neighbor who held him till I caught up.

He tore his paws up pretty good though, will need to take it easy for a few days.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Got a doggo yesterday!

Went with a young dog because we're currently in a good place to do training, with me working from home, and my partner only going to the office 3 days a week. He's 9 months old, and full of energy. The mom was a greyhound, the dad was a mutt - the kennel actually did a DNA test and there's a bit (~11%) of German Shepard, then the rest literally ranges from Chihuahua to Great Dane. He was great overnight in the crate, quiet all night until he heard us getting up in the morning. Very trainable, and interested but not fixated on our chickens, which is great. A lot of work to get him to distinguish between toy and not-toy (pillows, bag straps, etc), but he's pretty easy to work with and responds well to treats.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

congrats! I was going to say, didn't look 100% greyhound. I thought greyhound breeding was strictly controlled?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Congrats, Lhet - that's one mighty fine hound you've got there! I wish you three all the best - hopefully it doesn't take long for him to train you two up sufficiently, as grey caretakers! :D

jesus WEP posted:

there’s a crusader kings board game?

haha yep! Although sadly, I haven't been able to play it yet. It's meant to be quote long compared to most boardgames, but not hundreds of hours long, like the real deal - for better or for worse! :D

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Major Isoor posted:

Congrats, Lhet - that's one mighty fine hound you've got there! I wish you three all the best - hopefully it doesn't take long for him to train you two up sufficiently, as grey caretakers! :D
Thanks! It's going really well thus far, aside from him thinking the carpets are toys and trying to tug the carpets around.

actionjackson posted:

congrats! I was going to say, didn't look 100% greyhound. I thought greyhound breeding was strictly controlled?
He's from Mexico actually, so I think all bets are off. Not sure on the complete story, but I think some people who were previously local and involved with the our greyhound kennel found out about the puppies and arranged for them to be sent up here. The kennel people had a picture of his mom, but couldn't find it when we were there, might be able to get it eventually...

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
What's the name of that lil' doggo???

actionjackson posted:

I'm not aware of any country that doesn't allow mixing a greyhound with something else. Obviously for a show or race line that's impossible, but lurchers are a thing.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

nevermind

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 4, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm just surprised because I thought (outside of AKC dogs), all greyhounds were bred on farms with specific dams, and then after racing they were spayed/neutered by the adoption organization. In the US at least.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Things are going good overall. Chicken introductions went really well, he was interested, but the chickens just backed off instead of retreating, and I started feeding them leaves and he wandered off while I was feeding them right through the fence, so that's really good. Left him alone for a half hour to grab a couple some groceries (maybe a mistake) and he ate a nightlight, but that was our mistake since he had chomped at it earlier and we didn't move it. He barks a little bit when people come into the house but immediately warms up to everybody. Things are a bit exhausting but he's super sweet and cute.

david_a posted:

What's the name of that lil' doggo???

Not sure yet, we're giving him a few days to see what feels right, but Sabo and Chester are frontrunners right now.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Lhet posted:

Things are going good overall. Chicken introductions went really well, he was interested, but the chickens just backed off instead of retreating, and I started feeding them leaves and he wandered off while I was feeding them right through the fence, so that's really good. Left him alone for a half hour to grab a couple some groceries (maybe a mistake) and he ate a nightlight, but that was our mistake since he had chomped at it earlier and we didn't move it. He barks a little bit when people come into the house but immediately warms up to everybody. Things are a bit exhausting but he's super sweet and cute.

Not sure yet, we're giving him a few days to see what feels right, but Sabo and Chester are frontrunners right now.

Sabo would be great as long as it’s short for Sabotage

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So got her yesterday after sitting and waiting for 6 hours for the transport to clear customs etc. Finally got her home at around 2 am. She was super calm all the time and after carefully inspecting our living room she instantly made herself at home in the dog bed / blankets we had put there for her. She then slept quietly all night except for when I made a sound (I slept in the living room so my wife could get some sleep without disturbances as she had to get up at 6 am) and I then saw the dark silhouette of the dog looking at me. Been out for 2 walks this morning as she didn't want / have time to pee (too busy sniffing and looking at stuff). At least she had a poo the second time.
She doesn't like going through some doors and didn't want to go up the stairs the first time. After some persuasion with treats she now did 90% of the stairs and got through one door.
Baby steps. She is super cautious and has just been through a 30 hour trip to get here so I don't blame her. At least she is wagging her tail. :3
She's now laying beside me so feeling that the separation training has to begin ASAP.
She's also very underweight.

Pictures will come. :)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Awww she sounds like a sweetheart! :kimchi:

She's going to be confused and anxious these first few days. In my opinion it's best to give her support and comfort so she experiences nothing but good things as a first impression. That doesn't mean you can't correct her of course, just that I would err on the side of love, kindness, and forgiveness.

I use the rule of threes: three days to get over the shock, three weeks to truly settle in and learn the rules/routine of the house, three months for her to feel comfortable enough for her actual personality to come out.

I only have N=2 data points, but both of mine were super confident and didn't need separation training despite being very "clingy" at the start. Based on her reactions on the very first day (stairs! dealing with scary door! Sleeping through the night and going potty!) I think you'll be fine in that regard, because it sounds a lot like how mine behaved. I doubt you'll need to do much in the way of separation training

Currently cuddled up in bed with my pup, who has managed to get his entire length pressed against my side over the course of several wiggles. He's very warm, great on these cold nights, and likes to burrow his head under the covers :3:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

DarkHorse posted:

Awww she sounds like a sweetheart! :kimchi:

She's going to be confused and anxious these first few days. In my opinion it's best to give her support and comfort so she experiences nothing but good things as a first impression. That doesn't mean you can't correct her of course, just that I would err on the side of love, kindness, and forgiveness.

I use the rule of threes: three days to get over the shock, three weeks to truly settle in and learn the rules/routine of the house, three months for her to feel comfortable enough for her actual personality to come out.

I only have N=2 data points, but both of mine were super confident and didn't need separation training despite being very "clingy" at the start. Based on her reactions on the very first day (stairs! dealing with scary door! Sleeping through the night and going potty!) I think you'll be fine in that regard, because it sounds a lot like how mine behaved. I doubt you'll need to do much in the way of separation training

Currently cuddled up in bed with my pup, who has managed to get his entire length pressed against my side over the course of several wiggles. He's very warm, great on these cold nights, and likes to burrow his head under the covers :3:

Yeah today she's showing my more signs of being shocked. Didn't want to go through doorways this 3rd time we've been out, and a bit worringly hasn't peed yet (but also showing no signs of discomfort) but has pooped. Everything outside is interesting and new and she is tracking scents etc. No signs of trying to pee but nothing coming. I think she's dehydrated from the long trip, and since she's started containing herself to a room today she won't go to the water bowl to drink. I put it in the room she wants to be in now and she lapped up a ton. Hydrating her food now so she gets maximum fluids and hopefully wants to pee later.
A bit worried about the peeing, but as she seems alert and more interested in other things when outside I'll give it some time and give her a chance to re-hydrate herself.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Be prepared for a few accidents. They're used to a rigid schedule and it takes a while for them to learn to ask and that they might not get another opportunity for a while. Just keep taking her out every few hours and praising her when she eliminates.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things, keep it up! And congrats on your long dog

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

DarkHorse posted:

Be prepared for a few accidents. They're used to a rigid schedule and it takes a while for them to learn to ask and that they might not get another opportunity for a while. Just keep taking her out every few hours and praising her when she eliminates.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things, keep it up! And congrats on your long dog

Thanks!
Let’s just say the problem solved itself on my parquet floor and it was a huge accident. Got it up pretty quickly though, but yeah that’s what I get for loading her with fluids. I’m happy it resolved itself and right after she had her accident she laid down on the floor beneath the sofa and looked super guilty and like she was expecting me to yell at her. I’m just glad that she decided she was comfortable enough to pee and to not hide under the dinner table. Now she’s sleeping.

… I hope it doesn’t smell though.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
It'll be fine if you got it up quickly. Recommend some enzyme cleaner for the future.

It rained yesterday, which means adorable rain coat pics.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Look at that tired doggo

She (?) was a failed hunting dog, right? That probably changes what schedule she was used to. Race dogs have an extremely regimented schedule, but she was probably used a “normal” schedule.

You should get one of those enzyme sprays if you don’t have one for cleaning up messes. My understanding is it can become a feedback loop otherwise, because they know from the smell that this is the place to go…

Edit: Katie has that exact raincoat in yellow!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yep, failed hunting dog. She does absolutely have the drive though, but so far she’s been easy to get to stop focusing on bird etc. She’s probably the calmest dog I’ve ever walked.
I’ll absolutely get some enzyme cleaner asap, thanks for the tip! My wife will pick some up on the way home.

Seems like she all of a sudden got super comfortable as I went to the toilet and when I got back she way sitting where I was sitting in the sofa, looking at me all proud. Had to make her come down… and she promptly tried again. Down she went again and now she is sulking on the floor. :3

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lol if you think you’re keeping a greyhound off a sofa long term. there a zero percent chance that your desire and willpower to keep her off the comfy squishy thing outweighs her desire and willpower to be on the comfy squishy thing

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

lol if you think you’re keeping a greyhound off a sofa long term. there a zero percent chance that your desire and willpower to keep her off the comfy squishy thing outweighs her desire and willpower to be on the comfy squishy thing

Bailey's been great not getting on any furniture, but she was also fostered that way, and since I'm home all the time she really can't do it without me noticing, and she's crated when I'm gone. btw she has been quite shocked by the very cold temps, but less of a "immediately raise up paws and stop" like Abby did, more of a "frantically zip around."

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Nth-ing enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle, it's been really fantastic when Sparty and now Teedo getting adjusted to home life

He's much more reluctant about going outside and he's tried to sneak to the third floor to go, so it's saved our rugs and carpets a few times

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

jesus WEP posted:

Katie goes up on the couch because I taught her to; I’m not sure she would have gone up by herself. I can live with sharing the couch but she’s absolutely not allowed on the bed and she stays off of it. At my parents it’s a different story, but a lot of that is Lucy teaching her bad manners.

I force her to go outside a final time before bed, and when we come back in you can really see her agonizing over coming upstairs to bed or jumping up on the couch again. Long mournful looks at the couch, looking back at me… Rough being a greyhound

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

WHAT IS THE BABYS NAME

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO NAME HER

NAME HER BEAUTY

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Excited to have another goon long dog join the thread! :neckbeard:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

Excited to have another goon long dog join the thread! :neckbeard:

Yep, same! There are some pretty great (greyt?) long doggos in this thread, and having one more makes it all the better! :3:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I’m gonna be honest and admit sometimes I forget whose grey is whose and what all theys names is

What about maybe a padlet and we can put up a picture of our doggo/s and their names and our names? I could make it so only people with the link can find it

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

a what now

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

she's getting pb a few times each day when it's insanely cold

definitely something out there she's looking at, but far beyond my capabilities to see

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I love her :allears:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Super beautiful!

I lost the vote 2 to 1 so she now has a spot on the couch.

We found out her proper name was / is Lola and it works so we will keep it for now instead of the shelter name. Huge difference in her comfort level compared to yesterday. She still doesn't pee outside (which is why there are random chairs in the background, peed on the rug and we had to move the table), but is much less scared of everything and doesn't care about moving between rooms and through doorways in general. She "told" me she wanted to go outside by walking into the hallway etc, so getting better. She now also now goes through many doorways and rooms to say hi to us and being petted which she didn't do yesterday.
All in all, amazing improvement from one day to another. Only problem is the peeing, and with how cold it is she starts freezing (despite the fleece) in 15 minutes or so we can't stay out for long. She has been super stubborn with not moving an inch if she doesn't want to, but it seems like she's softening up and this evening she was excited to go outside just by my wife putting on her coat etc.

Also enzyme sprays are amazing. Thanks so much for that. Without it we'd be screwed.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

She has been super stubborn with not moving an inch if she doesn't want to,

haha yeah, greys have an interesting ability where they can instantly weigh 100kg, the moment they don't want to be moved! :D It's good to hear Lola is doing well though, aside from the business indoors!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

good news! nice chevron floor btw

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MrOnBicycle posted:

Only problem is the peeing, and with how cold it is she starts freezing (despite the fleece) in 15 minutes or so we can't stay out for long. She has been super stubborn with not moving an inch if she doesn't want to, but it seems like she's softening up and this evening she was excited to go outside just by my wife putting on her coat etc.

Some of these things are probably related… The fleece might not be enough for the cold. Katie has this combo and when it’s super cold she wears both the vest and coat.

I got Katie in late January and she would freeze up A LOT on walks in the first few months (coming up from Florida was probably part of it). The early weeks she would probably spend 75% of the time outside just standing still and softly whining to herself. She would also stop in the worst possible places like the middle of a crosswalk.

These may or may not apply to Lola, but the best ways to move Katie are, in order:
* If you are with someone else, have them keep walking. She will eventually get jealous and catch up. Doesn’t work when you’re by yourself, obviously.
* Wait her out. Stand in the direction you want to go at the end of the leash (don’t pull her). Sometimes it takes 30 seconds, sometimes 15 minutes, sometimes she just will not move. I found out that she would rather stand still and freeze to death than walk in a cold wind.
* Bribe her with treats. This works but she quickly figures out that “stand still = get treats” so it can’t be a go-to technique.
* Carry her. This sucks but I end up doing it fairly often! Last resort when she stops in a dangerous spot or I lose my temper after waiting forever.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

skoolmunkee posted:

I’m gonna be honest and admit sometimes I forget whose grey is whose and what all theys names is

What about maybe a padlet and we can put up a picture of our doggo/s and their names and our names? I could make it so only people with the link can find it

Also, I forgot to reply to this earlier. I'm going to say two things:

1) a what now? :v:

2) I agree with what you're saying, although I have no idea what a padlet is. But yeah, if we could get a list/page going where we can keep it up to date, then I think that could be quite beneficial!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

https://padlet.com/AmandaHardy/burgdogs

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Aw yeah! I've uploaded mine. Shame you only seem to be able to have one pic per post/dog, though! Hopefully the photos I picked are ok

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I added mine, I'm glad I don't need an account or anything. I started bawling after uploading the one of Abby. One week away from what would have been her 14th birthday :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Oh it’s looking so nice already!!

I made it so we can add comments :3

I’ll see if I can figure out tomorrow how to add more than one picture. You might just have to put an Imgur album and link to it