Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

One thing that was an issue with Wookieepedia was that when it first came out, a lot of authors were upfront about just read articles on it for research rather than reading the books in question. I know Traviss did that for her reading up on Daala, but there were others also. So this would lead to Wookieepedia editors making their ridiculous theories, which then got absorbed by actual Star Wars authors.

That seems to happen less often nowadays with the new group of authors that became prominent after the Disney purchase, or maybe the authors just know better than to mention it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I only even gave a poo poo about the Assault Gunboat thing because I’m part of a Star Wars video game group that also does RPG and fan fiction stuff, and we actually have a lore group that keeps track of all of our poo poo and the current rule is that we follow the NuCanon. I think this is stupid but whatever. I think we should just do our own thing because it’s fan fiction anyway so who cares, but again, whatever. So the lore group abides by Wookieepedia; I think you can see the problem here.

Anyway I tried to use an assault gunboat in a story and it got flagged because they’re “Rebel” ships in NuCanon according to the wiki, and I called them (and the wiki) out on it, hence my post.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Xenomrph posted:

I only even gave a poo poo about the Assault Gunboat thing because I’m part of a Star Wars video game group that also does RPG and fan fiction stuff, and we actually have a lore group that keeps track of all of our poo poo and the current rule is that we follow the NuCanon. I think this is stupid but whatever. I think we should just do our own thing because it’s fan fiction anyway so who cares, but again, whatever. So the lore group abides by Wookieepedia; I think you can see the problem here.

Anyway I tried to use an assault gunboat in a story and it got flagged because they’re “Rebel” ships in NuCanon according to the wiki, and I called them (and the wiki) out on it, hence my post.

Then you've invited the fox into the hen house. Well, your group did.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
honestly. outside a few issues, i dont hate new canon still. disney seems to finally realize that anything in the sequel era is a lost cause and they are better off filling in the gaps between OT and ST and poo poo before and after the prequels. the good thing is you now have an end point for your lore at least until disney decides to expand the ST at some point a decade from now.

which lines up with the biggest issue I had with the old canon apart from bad books, which was that it just kept going. luke is like 80 and still saving the galaxy even when they try to pass it off to the kids who are like 40.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

People hate the sequel trilogy so much that they should just forget it and start over, but sunk cost…

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The biggest “problem” with our lore and its adherence to NuCanon, and something I’ve pushed back against heavily, is the turbo-stupid idea that the Galactic Civil War “ends” at Jakku 1 year after Endor, and our group’s “current” lore timeline is right after Endor.

which means we either have infinite adventures in a 1 year span and take the Marvel comics sliding timescale approach where it’s always “right now” and time never seems to move forward, or we end the war after a year and we don’t get to fight the Empire in any real capacity anymore, which is mega-dumb.

Apparently it’s not an immediate problem because the lore team’s planned publishing schedule won’t bring us to Jakku for a good couple years IRL but it’s something we’ll have to address at some point and I’ve been pushing back against it pretty hard.

Or we say “screw NuCanon” and do whatever because it’s fan fiction so who cares, but there are members who are die hard canon enthusiasts for some reason so that won’t fly with some people. Or we relegate ourselves to our own little pocket of the galaxy and do our thing where it “technically” doesn’t contradict anything. Or we leave the New Republic entirely and become essentially vigilantes, or we do some mix of all of the above or whatever.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 10, 2022

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the good thing is you now have an end point for your lore at least until disney decides to expand the ST at some point a decade from now.

Disney's already had at least two official stories set after TROS, the Lego Life Day Special and the Lego Halloween Special. Obviously neither is canon, but they're still official works, and their basic storylines seem like they're adhering to some general vision of what a post-ST galaxy is like. That being said, none of it is super radical: Resistance still fighting the First Order Remnant, and Rey rebuilding the Jedi Order.

Xenomrph posted:

The biggest “problem” with our lore and its adherence to NuCanon, and something I’ve pushed back against heavily, is the turbo-stupid idea that the Galactic Civil War “ends” at Jakku 1 year after Endor, and our group’s “current” lore timeline is right after Endor.

which means we either have infinite adventures in a 1 year span and take the Marvel comics sliding timescale approach where it’s always “right now” and time never seems to move forward, or we end the war after a year and we don’t get to fight the Empire in any real capacity anymore, which is mega-dumb.

I mean, almost since the "war ends atJakku 1 year after Endor" timeline was established in 2015, it's basically being revised back. The Mandalorian still explicitly has Imperial warlords five years after Endor, and I think there's at least one book that talks about Imperial splinter groups years after Jakku.

If anything I think the current take is the central Imperial government collapses/goes into the Unknown Regions after Jakku, but there are still plenty of independent warlords leftover from the Empire, like the later Bantam era.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

looking forward to the TV debut of warlord zsinj

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Jazerus posted:

looking forward to the TV debut of warlord zsinj

Blaster earrings now for sale exclusively at Galaxy's Edge.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Current canon has organized Imperial resistance ending after Jakku and moving into the old EU's Warlord Era earlier.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Chairman Capone posted:

I mean, almost since the "war ends atJakku 1 year after Endor" timeline was established in 2015, it's basically being revised back. The Mandalorian still explicitly has Imperial warlords five years after Endor, and I think there's at least one book that talks about Imperial splinter groups years after Jakku.

If anything I think the current take is the central Imperial government collapses/goes into the Unknown Regions after Jakku, but there are still plenty of independent warlords leftover from the Empire, like the later Bantam era.

It’s not that the Empire ceases to exist after Jakku, it’s that the war with the New Republic ends. The New Republic than disarms pretty quickly after that, so the central conflict from the OT is stopped much more quickly and definitively than the old EU, where they were still heavily engaged for years after Endor and IIRC don’t formally end hostilities until ~10 years after Endor by which point the Empire is a fraction of its former size and strength. I don’t think the new EU has the same level of warlord stuff or just general action after that, although the Empire is still around and causes issues as seen in Mandalorian and whatnot.

This really makes me want to reread the Hand of Thrawn duology, which I’m very close to in my now almost two-year reread of most of the old EU leading up to it. Just got to see if I can stomach the Corellian trilogy or not…

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Has anyone read The High Republic: The Fallen Star? It seems to have gotten a rather low-key release for the final adult novel of the High Republic project.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

OhFunny posted:

Has anyone read The High Republic: The Fallen Star? It seems to have gotten a rather low-key release for the final adult novel of the High Republic project.

poo poo, it's out? I definitely missed it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wait they're ending High Republic stuff already?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Arc Hammer posted:

Wait they're ending High Republic stuff already?

I hadn't heard it was the final "adult" novel in High Republic (doesn't mean it's not), but it's the third one, and apparently came out on the 4th.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Is it wrong that I loving love the Thrawn Ascendancy trilogy?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I will say (and I never thought I'd say this about a Star Wars book) that I hope this High Republic novel has less action? Like, I love action in a Star Wars book, don't get me wrong. It's usually why I'm here. But the last book was basically wall-to-wall Fireworks Factory, and when there's no down time sprinkled in there, I just get numb to it all. It's like, yeah, great, somebody with a lightsaber is fighting someone, we just did that about 20 times. What else have you got?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I looked it up, and this new one isn't supposed to be the last High Republic adult book, it's just the last of this "phase". There's going to be 3 phases.

quote:

The series is divided into three phases; the first, Light of the Jedi, will run through 2021 and into 2022, with the second phase, Quest of the Jedi, starting in 2022 and the third phase, Trials of the Jedi, coming at a later date.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

thrawn527 posted:

I looked it up, and this new one isn't supposed to be the last High Republic adult book, it's just the last of this "phase". There's going to be 3 phases.

Yeah I worded that poorly.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I still haven’t finished the second HR book. The big attack on the fair seen for a half a dozen angles kind of burned me out. I figured they weren’t done with the series just yet because there’s a tie-in game still in early development at this point. You have to keep people engaged at least until that comes out.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Nope, they’re good books. Now I want them to let Zahn write the last Hand of Judgement book he had planned.

I reread / listen to Hand of Thrawn close to once a year. I think it’s probably better than the trilogy.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

bunnyofdoom posted:

I just finished the third book over the weekend and I really liked it. I’d love for him to get back to that Chiss setting at some point.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The main thing that bugs me about Thrawn Ascendancy is that it's, yet again, a Thrawn origin story. Is grade school next?

Minor, I know. But I'm stuck in the beginning of the first book, which is a little boring, so I went back to reading Discworld for now. I'll get back to it eventually.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I don’t know about a full novel, but I’d definitely read a short story about elementary school Thrawn defeating his enemies on the playground by luring them into a trap in the sandbox based on their finger paintings and use of glitter glue.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

fartknocker posted:

I don’t know about a full novel, but I’d definitely read a short story about elementary school Thrawn defeating his enemies on the playground by luring them into a trap in the sandbox based on their finger paintings and use of glitter glue.

You know, now that I put it out there, and you solidified it, I kind of do want that.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Chairman Capone posted:

and Rey rebuilding the Jedi Order.

I would get really mad at Disney for making Luke into a loser who fails at restarting the Jedi, and giving all of his cool post_ROTJ plot beats to Rey, but then I just choose to ignore the nuCanon.

Would it really have been that hard for the Sequel Trilogy to have made Luke being successful at rebooting the Jedi Order and having Rey and Ben be 2 of his pupils, and start them off right there? No, they had to soft-reboot everything. I will also say while I agree with the other poster who said earlier the Legends EU just went on and on, but I feel the nuCanon is falling into that same trap by jam-packing the in-between times of the OT with events. According to those Marvel Comics Luke and Vader have run into each other and fought at least twice between ANH and ESB, which I feel cheapens ESB.

Especially egregious was having Leia, Luke, and Lando go back to Cloud City after ESB, and having Leia frozen in Carbonite in the comics.

On reading news, I'm enjoying I, Jedi, but I am getting kind of tired of Corran Horn always, always getting the last word/proving other people wrong verbally. The worst one was when he berated Luke over Kyp being forgiven (understandable) but then went off on a huge tangent when Luke pointed out he didn't understand the threat of the dark side that ACTUALLY HE DOES HOW DARE YOU. I don't mind characters being smarter than Luke but it gets old when he's always smarter. But then again, I know this is part and parcel for a Stackpole character. Maybe he'll get a comeuppance eventually.

In other news, my complete Dark Empire trilogy omnibus comes in the mail tomorrow, or Wednesday, so that's exciting. :)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

According to those Marvel Comics Luke and Vader have run into each other and fought at least twice between ANH and ESB, which I feel cheapens ESB.

Especially egregious was having Leia, Luke, and Lando go back to Cloud City after ESB, and having Leia frozen in Carbonite in the comics.

Hahaha holy poo poo

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I dropped off the comics after Kieron Gillen left, and that seems like it was the right call, drat.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Good lord. It really bugs me how everybody and their mother has gotten frozen in carbonite, to the extent that in Mandalorian there's apparently a portable model. It seems pretty clear in Empire that it's an experimental process.

cptn_dr posted:

I dropped off the comics after Kieron Gillen left, and that seems like it was the right call, drat.

Darth Vader stayed consistent for a while after Gillen left, I never kept up with Star Wars. The Soule run was decent, and I dropped off with the Pak stuff. His first arc had an incredible hook: Darth Vader meets up with one of Padme's body doubles from back in the day, but it seemed like he was struggling with having a character who doesn't talk a lot and his second arc was all about TRoS stuff and I couldn't be bothered.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

cptn_dr posted:

The first Luke and Vader fight was in the very first issue Marvel did so you stuck it out way after it got bad.

Rochallor posted:

Good lord. It really bugs me how everybody and their mother has gotten frozen in carbonite, to the extent that in Mandalorian there's apparently a portable model. It seems pretty clear in Empire that it's an experimental process.
It was a big chonky industrial model, not an experiment. The dialogue flat out states it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Technically the EU had Luke and Vader square off in Splinter of the Mind’s Eye I think. But the canonicity of that wasn’t very well defined, and I think the whole plotline almost never got mentioned in other works. I’m guessing it probably happened in the old Marvel comics at least once.

Luke in ESB is absolutely not ready for that fight so pitting an even more inexperienced version of him against Vader isn’t going to end well.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I mean, just consider how often in Clone Wars Lucas had Anakin encounter Dooku in between AOTC/ROTS, or Obi-Wan encounter Grievous, neither of which make sense in the context of ROTS.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I finished The Fallen Star today and it was... alright, I guess. Felt like Gray was still in junior-novel mode by how many characters she had go on random inner monologues to establish characterization for a later moment. Really came together by the ending though.

RIP to funny Jedi daycare worker/jailer, cool totally-not-a-grey-Jedi lady, Jedi Wookiee, Jedi Wookiee's master, all those people in the top half of the station, and finally, the one person keeping Elzar and Avar from loving :wave:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Casimir Radon posted:

Technically the EU had Luke and Vader square off in Splinter of the Mind’s Eye I think. But the canonicity of that wasn’t very well defined, and I think the whole plotline almost never got mentioned in other works. I’m guessing it probably happened in the old Marvel comics at least once.

Luke in ESB is absolutely not ready for that fight so pitting an even more inexperienced version of him against Vader isn’t going to end well.
It was immediately ditched when ESB was greenlit and IIRC the author is still a bit salty about that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

It was immediately ditched when ESB was greenlit and IIRC the author is still a bit salty about that.
I think it was mostly that they’re still selling it and he hadn’t seen any royalties in years.

Edit: Yep

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chairman Capone posted:

Disney's already had at least two official stories set after TROS, the Lego Life Day Special and the Lego Halloween Special. Obviously neither is canon, but they're still official works, and their basic storylines seem like they're adhering to some general vision of what a post-ST galaxy is like. That being said, none of it is super radical: Resistance still fighting the First Order Remnant, and Rey rebuilding the Jedi Order.

yeah. i feel like they will come back to ST era officially at some point once they figure out what they want to do.

but yeah its also very clear 2016 happened and they decided "yeah the central command/political wing imploded and a bunch surrendered but now there are tons of ex moffs and captains with giant star destroyers loving around the galaxy and the republic is basicaly annoying it because internal politics and "gently caress the border regions".

fartknocker posted:

It’s not that the Empire ceases to exist after Jakku, it’s that the war with the New Republic ends. The New Republic than disarms pretty quickly after that, so the central conflict from the OT is stopped much more quickly and definitively than the old EU, where they were still heavily engaged for years after Endor and IIRC don’t formally end hostilities until ~10 years after Endor by which point the Empire is a fraction of its former size and strength. I don’t think the new EU has the same level of warlord stuff or just general action after that, although the Empire is still around and causes issues as seen in Mandalorian and whatnot.

This really makes me want to reread the Hand of Thrawn duology, which I’m very close to in my now almost two-year reread of most of the old EU leading up to it. Just got to see if I can stomach the Corellian trilogy or not…

yeah, i actually do like that. empire basicaly loses all of its high command at endor and then at jaku and most of their fleet is gone. a bunch gently caress off the unknown region and probably a bunch who in the know about palpatine secret spawn point are taking orders from him and playing the long game. like alot of the empires officals just become space republicans and gently caress poo poo up internally.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Casimir Radon posted:

I have read the old Marvel comics and they definitely had Luke and Vader square off a couple times. Not necessarily with a lightsaber battle but just seeing each other. And Vader knows he's Skywalker.

There's some really interesting old stories in there though for sure, like the time Leia and Luke meet a giant organic ship from another galaxy. Or the star destroyer turned into a boat.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Casimir Radon posted:

I think it was mostly that they’re still selling it and he hadn’t seen any royalties in years.

Edit: Yep
That's a post-Disney fight over the ANH novelisation, but maybe he brought it up again there and that's why I remember it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I don't think Splinter was really "ditched" given that a lot of stuff in it got reused both pre and post Disney buyout. I remember a number of things in Galaxies coming from Splinter. Not to mention it got its own comic adaptation in the 90s, I think the only non-Thrawn book to get that done. Plus, Foster came back to do a Clone Wars book and the TFA novelization. That being said, he really did not like TLJ.

In other news, Book of Boba Fett's third episode introduces kind of a silly plot element and ends with a very poorly done speeder chase scene, but I thought was overall probably the best episode yet. Having Stephen Root and Danny Trejo helped. And more to the point, we got a specific reference to Courtship of Princess Leia.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Chairman Capone posted:

I don't think Splinter was really "ditched" given that a lot of stuff in it got reused both pre and post Disney buyout. I remember a number of things in Galaxies coming from Splinter. Not to mention it got its own comic adaptation in the 90s, I think the only non-Thrawn book to get that done. Plus, Foster came back to do a Clone Wars book and the TFA novelization. That being said, he really did not like TLJ.

In other news, Book of Boba Fett's third episode introduces kind of a silly plot element and ends with a very poorly done speeder chase scene, but I thought was overall probably the best episode yet. Having Stephen Root and Danny Trejo helped. And more to the point, we got a specific reference to Courtship of Princess Leia.

I think some of the Vector Prime/Yuuzhong Vong invasion also got a mini-series, but you're right, not too many of the books got comic adaptations. A shame, I think Hand of Thrawn would be cool in comic format. The Thrawn comics are some of my favorite adaptations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

we got a specific reference to Courtship of Princess Leia.

I noticed this too and geeked out for a moment.

But apparently Dathomir was also in Clone Wars (I half remember this) and the game Fallen Order (never played it.)

Still the mention of witches riding rancors was cool.

Warlord Zsinj when