Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Stereotype posted:

86% of the way to a 9/11.

Not news
lol the only other mention of covid on their frontpage is
CORONAVIRUS UPDATES
West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice is 'extremely unwell' after testing positive for COVID

that's it, wrap it up folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

crepeface posted:

what the hell no mark no, keep them all in quarantine

Lmao he's still gonna open er up isn't he

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

yoloer420 posted:

Does anyone have a good source for 7093 filters in Australia? The only source I've been able to find is eBay.

Australia has different occupational health regulations.

The part number for your equivalent is 6035.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

shaka when the border fell :(

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Tzen posted:

but 3k people died one day :qq:

lol yeah, today

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Lacrosse posted:

I like how nothing is in a state of emergency despite everything burning down in real time

silicone thrills posted:

I love being like eeriely calm about this because is poo poo really falling apart? idk. maybe. i've never lived through a collapse but this is the first time in my life where i literally couldnt get common poo poo at the grocery store and the mail just stopped and all the shipping companies are hosed.
costco not having frozen corn
and my local store not having garlic
fuckin crack pinged me hard
then again the next grocery store down the road had both
lmao
reminds me of watching Contagion and thinking/posting how unrealistic it was
why is it all chaotic on that block/city, but not over here?? lmao

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I feel like it was just a few years ago that I was arguing against people who insisted that if any refugee killed just ONE SINGLE American it justified keeping all refugees out. it was worth it to prevent any American deaths.

lol I called them disingenuous cowardly shitheads and wow gee wiz looks like I was right

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I can’t imagine taking anyone seriously ever again.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Tzen posted:

lol the only other mention of covid on their frontpage is
CORONAVIRUS UPDATES
West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice is 'extremely unwell' after testing positive for COVID

that's it, wrap it up folks

mild
moderate
extremely unwell <--- YOU ARE HERE

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

FunkyFjord posted:

I gave all my family n95 auras from home depot for christmas, along with things like booze and clothes.

My sister visited the other day wearing a fashionable shiny purple kn95 that didn't seal around her nose or cheeks. When I mentioned this she said something along the lines of oh it's fine, it's all blowing off behind me. She had just talked about how she got into a little spat with her husband because he hung out with some friends and none of them wore masks and then one of them tested positive. Just shook my fuckin head, I've talked to everyone about full sealing masks being their only real options and there's nothing I can do to keep them from going to brunch or coffee shops with masks that are only slightly better than surgical cloth masks. Now my uncle and his whole house are feeling sick. He works for the state board of education and gets a prime second hand view of everything shutting down and the spread of sick kids. He mostly works from home and even when he goes into the office there's usually no one else there and hasn't been for hours but his wife is a teacher and he's got two daughters in middle and high school.

All of these people pretend they're being serious about covid but they visit my grandma once or twice a week and never come over in masks, just traveled to Italy to go see some family right as omicron was kicking off too. There's nothing I can do for these whack rear end optimists and I might be done trying beyond the occasional comment, especially if they don't bring it up first.

Guess I'm lucky that my grandma, despite blaring fox news from the living room 24/7, is already accustomed to being old and not doing poo poo for months on end. And even though she has old morons yelling at her about how everything is mild, kids need to be in schools, NUMBER go up, she remembers polio and even she says we've never seen anything like this. Just wish all the teacher and doctor family members who pretend they're being smart about a pandemic would stop visiting so loving often.

Only your respirator trust.
lol it all comes down to,
"all of these people pretend they're being serious about covid"

just the other day a relative who "takes covid seriously" texted me about "heyyyy i'm flying into the pnw next week, let's have lunch or meetup!" you loving moron, gently caress you, no

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Yes :( it's been pretty great to have been spared from the pandemic up until now, but I guess we're all hosed now.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Cup Runneth Over posted:

desperately trying to save some of my close friends from themselves and I can't express how hard it is to stop them from turning their brains off and throwing themselves into the grinder. it's legitimately depressing. I don't want to see them killed or maimed. they barely even have to change their behavior, just wear a respirator and stop eating out. but no, they're tired of COVID, they don't want to think about it anymore, they'd rather just ignore it, everyone they know has had it anyway
lol one of my friends is a bar crawl business owner, that also does theatre acting as a hobby/passion project
they're in the same boat, everyone they know has had it, and covid is over for them
there's no saving them, i would not be surprised when they start posting selfies from their parents funerals

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

I think one of my friends has this

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7052576446551756078

She got suicidal one night over it
loving hell

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

why hasn't chuck tingle written multiple novels about literally loving covid :smith:

empty shelves: poo poo isn't real bad in the Augusta area? Like, yeah, maybe there aren't literal piles of picturesque food at the produce department and the meat is a bit picked over, but you can still go grab a steak or hamburger or an apple or whatever. Commissary has so much food in comparison that you can't even guess there are problems right now. Everything is there.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

why hasn't chuck tingle written multiple novels about literally loving covid :smith:

I think he said something early in 2020 that he thought it might be in poor taste

Voltek
Apr 19, 2013

it's bizzare because he could just say 'yeah nah gently caress off mate we're keeping the door shut' and nobody apart from some dickhead brunch eaters would give a poo poo

like holy poo poo you do not want it like how we've got it here in sa

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
Had an uptick in cases among coworkers at the restaurant I work at, and instead of requiring patrons/ to wear masks unless actively eating/drinking, they brought back a handful of restrictions for the workers/are mandating vaccination or weekly testing if you aren't jabbed. I'm not against the restrictions on employees necessarily, but the fact patrons and such aren't required to reciprocate rubs me %200 the wrong way. :krad:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7052041710469303598

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot

Our big wet boi at it again

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Good Guy Don

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they are all getting boosters lmao

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
How many ambulances are there in the us? how many people does it take to run one?

how many funeral homes? When would they hit capacity.

What’s the oxygen supply look like?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Morbus posted:

The insane transmission advantage displayed by omicron is almost entirely due to its ability to burn through the immunity that was previously enjoyed in populations that had near ubiquitous seroconversion by mid 2021.

China was consistently able to suppress covid outbreaks even before vaccines (i.e. when basically 0% of their population had seroconverted). And that includes during much of delta, when many people in China were not vaccinated. Even through the end of 2021, most of the Chinese population never really had antibody levels as high as multi-mRNAd westerners.

Bottom line is, at no point has China's covid policy critically hinged on the effectiveness or even presence of neutralizing antibodies within its population and those are the only thing meaningfully threatened by omicron.

Suppressing an epidemic when your starting case count is low, is actually not very hard. Most of the world just hosed that up, and there's no way to get a do-over after you blow it early on. China is playing a fundamentally different (and much easier) game than the rest of the world, because they never poo poo the bed in the first place.

yeh this is consistent with what we're seeing in denmark. highly transmissible, yes, but driven by immune evasion, suggesting non pharmaceutical interventions will be effective. and I think it bears out, things are definitely bad, but aren't out of control here.

still scratching my head at "npi resistant," like omicron evolved the ability to teleport or phase through walls or something.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Stereotype posted:

I can’t imagine taking anyone seriously ever again.

lifes funnier when everything seems like a joke bc theres no way someone would say or do these things unless it was supposed to be funny lmao

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Zodium posted:

yeh this is consistent with what we're seeing in denmark. highly transmissible, yes, but driven by immune evasion, suggesting non pharmaceutical interventions will be effective. and I think it bears out, things are definitely bad, but aren't out of control here.

still scratching my head at "npi resistant," like omicron evolved the ability to teleport or phase through walls or something.

I think the OP meant "half-assed NPI resistant." loving loose surgical masks and neck gators aren't gonna cut it for this fucker.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Pillowpants posted:

What’s the oxygen supply look like?

About 21% of the air outside

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://www.niid.go.jp/niid/en/2019-ncov-e/10884-covid19-66-en.html

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2022/01/13/2153651/new-doh-guidelines-shorten-quarantine-isolation-fully-vaccinated

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zodium posted:

omicron said get over here and pulled me through a wall and broke my n95 and infected me. FATALITY

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

:worship:

Col.Schultz
May 14, 2010

Till we come to some beginning within our own power...

Platystemon posted:

Australia has different occupational health regulations.

The part number for your equivalent is 6035.

These are the right ones for Australia. They are great little cartridges and I really like the 7500. I have a huge nose and the medium fits well.

My order for a secure click for my partner got cancelled today. Half masks selling out all over the place in Australia at the moment. 7500s and lower still available.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
While waiting for Jeopardy to start last night, Inside Edition ran a piece about upgrading from cloth masks to N-95 and KN-95 masks.

They rightfully said that you can wear them for up to 5 days, but then followed up with claiming that you can them steam them and wear them for another 5 days :wtf:

The piece ended with them saying to check if your mask is good, you run it under the tap and if it holds water it's good. They then ruined both an N-95 and KN-95 to show the difference between it and the cloth mask.

There has been a lot of messaging about mask upgrades lately, indicating that everything is fine. On the other hand it's all terrible, as if it's some new alien technology that suddenly came to earth and we're best guessing at it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Schnorkles posted:

Omicron is basically NPI resistant, barring near universal KN95 usage and limited social contact.

I mean, I would significantly prefer to live in China rather than the US at this point re: COVID but if you think they're gonna end up unscathed with what's coming i got something to sell you :shrug:

It is resistant to some of our best PIs, namely vaccines and monoclonal antibodies.

It is not NPI resistant. It not even clear that its basic reproductive number is any higher than Delta’s. Without that or shorter generation time or some other weird trick we haven’t seen yet (like yet more asymptomatic transmission power), it’s no harder to control in a immunologically naive population than is Delta.

Vaccine efficacy reduction will hurt China’s efforts a little, but vaccines were never the foundation of their strategy anyway. The bottom line is that if they could control Delta, they can control Omicron.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 13, 2022

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Hey guys, want to bring some sanity to this thread because I think we're all looking at this the wrong way. When I was in business school I was taught that an crisis is an opportunity in disguise, and furthermore

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Gorson posted:

Hey guys, want to bring some sanity to this thread because I think we're all looking at this the wrong way. When I was in business school I was taught that an crisis is an opportunity in disguise, and furthermore

In my economics textbook in college the recommended that if we wanted to save rhinos we should raise them as livestock, that way there's a profit motive to keep them alive! =)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Covid 3: Omnicron
tagline: Born to be Mild