Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

enki42 posted:

My experience even with a cloth mask at the start of the pandemic is that it was met with stares and outright hostility sometimes (this is like April 2020, so a couple months before even private businesses started to mandate things). I can't imagine what a full face respirator would be like.
I got called a coward for wearing a mask while I was working in a trades-adjacent job in 2020, that was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Sashimi posted:

I got called a coward for wearing a mask while I was working in a trades-adjacent job in 2020, that was cool.

I always imagine that I'm a henchman in a Western with Lee Van Cleef or Lee Marvin so anybody who might call me out for not looking cool in a mask is already highly suspect. Yeah I know that none of Lee Marvin's guys in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance were wearing bright white masks but have some imagination people.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
The isolation centre for homeless people with covid in YEG is full. Might be able to put more in but there's no staff because, somewhat predictably, people get sick. Seems like maybe a predictable consequence of just letting covid rip through the population!

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

With the Quebec "fee for unvaccinated thing" I wonder if those in the Legault government are extra giddy about it because there's the potential for the Federal government to object that this contravenes the Canada Health Act, and then Legault has a brand new front to exploit in the war against the Federal government.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Let 'er :rip:!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I want some bitchmade rear end in a top hat to justify in-person learning to me right now. I'm in the mood for a fight, get it done you miserable loving pricks.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

There were multiple people calling in to CBC radio today complaining that their kids were suicidal because they couldn't go to school.

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Here's an email I got from my kid's elementary school in BC. Something I had to hear is this justification to do away with contact tracing. I don't know enough to know how legit this is. Can anyone comment on "Given the shorter incubation period of the Omicron variant, contact tracing practices in schools are no longer effective."?

quote:

I am writing to you today to share information about how we will be monitoring school attendance and the implications of potential high absenteeism among students and/or staff for [School] in the coming months. Public Health, and the Ministry of Education have created new guidelines and processes for us to use, and I want to share how the changes will impact how we share information about COVID-19, how we will be monitoring attendance, and how decisions will be made regarding school closures.

Beginning this week, communicating potential school exposures to families will no longer occur. Given the shorter incubation period of the Omicron variant, contact tracing practices in schools are no longer effective. Instead, schools will be monitoring school attendance and will be in close contact with Island Health should staff and/or student attendance dip below a threshold. The Ministry of Education refers to this threshold as a “Potential Activity Signal”, which is defined below.

Potential Activity Signal

A potential activity signal is a threshold that indicates further investigation is warranted by public health to determine if additional actions are required (e.g., disseminate notification to identified grade or school related to identified increased activity, provide testing guidance and support, implement additional measures, distributing public health information, etc.).

During a “Potential Activity Signal” our school will work with district staff and Island Health to determine next steps. We have procedures in place that will allow us to keep our school open when absenteeism is high. However, there may come a time when our school will be closed for a period of time. There are three potential types of school closures that could result from an activity signal:

Functional School Closure

A functional closure of a school is a temporary closure determined by a school district or independent school due to a lack of staff to provide the required level of teaching, supervision, support, and/or custodial services to ensure the health and safety of students. This would likely be due to a high number of staff or certain employees away who are required for a school to function, and the inability to temporarily replace them.

Transportation Closure

A transportation closure is a lack of staff able to provide the required level of transportation services for students. This would likely be due to bus drivers and/or mechanics being away and the inability to replace those absences.

Public Health Closure

A public health closure is the temporary closing of a school by order of a Medical Health Officer when they determine it is necessary to prevent the excessive transmission of a communicable disease (e.g., COVID-19).

At this time, it is very important that we maintain accurate attendance records.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

McGavin posted:

There were multiple people calling in to CBC radio today complaining that their kids were suicidal because they couldn't go to school.

If your kids are suicidal because they can't go to school, you should have them taken away on a permanent basis.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

PT6A posted:

If your kids are suicidal because they can't go to school, you should have them taken away on a permanent basis.
You know school is a positive experience for like, a lot of people, right?

If I told you no flying, no work, no socializing, whatever else, you'd probably be rightfully pissed. Now you're a adult and could handle it if it was for good reasons, but if we tell that to children who haven't fully developed they might be irrationally upset. Suicidal might be a stretch but it's very very impactful.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Xaranthius posted:

Here's an email I got from my kid's elementary school in BC. Something I had to hear is this justification to do away with contact tracing. I don't know enough to know how legit this is. Can anyone comment on "Given the shorter incubation period of the Omicron variant, contact tracing practices in schools are no longer effective."?

My interpretation is that's probably true but it's because our institutions suck. With vanilla/delta, by the time they get around to telling you that someone near you had covid, you might not've started showing symptoms yet so it's a useful warning. If omicron shaves a few days off that, now you're warned when you already have symptoms and so you should already be staying home.

I don't understand why "heads up, a kid in your class tested positive yesterday" is too hard to pull off systematically, but I admit I know nothing about contact tracing and school administration. I get needing a few days to piece together "someone at the 10th St Dairy Queen was spreading covid", and that goes out the window when it's spreading so widely. But schools are pretty small enumerated populations so ???

Trapick posted:

If I told you no flying, no work, no socializing, whatever else, you'd probably be rightfully pissed. Now you're a adult and could handle it if it was for good reasons, but if we tell that to children who haven't fully developed they might be irrationally upset. Suicidal might be a stretch but it's very very impactful.

Given what I hear from people, what their nightmares as adults are about, etc. I apparently had an abnormally happy grade school experience. I am dumbfounded at the idea that there's a large population of people who desperately want back into school buildings. Seeing their friends and making new ones? Getting away from home for a bit? Doing a sport? Sure, all those I get, but "cram me back into the locked building" not so much.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Trapick posted:

I agree we should not go back to no-contact single household bubbles. But as of right now, literally no one is saying kids can't see their friends. A bubble of 10 kids is still better than the whole school eating in the cafeteria without masks.

And, yeah, I'm loving pissed about no flying. But also I don't want to do it when it's unsafe. I'd rather take months off than risk my medical for long COVID because we all just decided "gently caress it." That's literally my constant mental battle right now. I still don't know what I'm going to do on my next scheduled day because all options suck. Between weather and COVID symptoms it's been over a month since I've actually gone to work (and, yes, this very much implies I'm living off savings at this point). There's no right answer; both suck because the government would prefer to do nothing.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

PT6A posted:

I agree we should not go back to no-contact single household bubbles. But as of right now, literally no one is saying kids can't see their friends. A bubble of 10 kids is still better than the whole school eating in the cafeteria without masks.

And, yeah, I'm loving pissed about no flying. But also I don't want to do it when it's unsafe. I'd rather take months off than risk my medical for long COVID because we all just decided "gently caress it." That's literally my constant mental battle right now. I still don't know what I'm going to do on my next scheduled day because all options suck. Between weather and COVID symptoms it's been over a month since I've actually gone to work (and, yes, this very much implies I'm living off savings at this point). There's no right answer; both suck because the government would prefer to do nothing.
Yah, except you can't really have 10-kid bubbles unless there are people to watch them, and this brings us back to the main problem - school is childcare, and we don't have a society where a parent per household can be at home (without some serious cash from the gov).

I suggest you are more rational about long COVID and delayed gratification than the average teenager/child. And probably more than the average person of any age. If we had everyone properly thinking about this tradeoff we'd likely be through this pandemic by now.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

I want some bitchmade rear end in a top hat to justify in-person learning to me right now. I'm in the mood for a fight, get it done you miserable loving pricks.

I think, if anything, covid's made me a lot less judgemental of other people, especially parents. As long as they're getting vaccinated. The difficulties are all unique and real and there's no right answer. For instance, a kid forced to live with someone like you would probably be very suicidal and I could see schools opening as a net positive for both.

e; not you personally, stressed people living on savings, trying to work and feed kids and cook and clean. it's tough. the kids aren't just suicidal cause they can't go to school, the parents aren't delightful to live with right now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 13, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I think, if anything, covid's made me a lot less judgemental of other people, especially parents. As long as they're getting vaccinated. The difficulties are all unique and real and there's no right answer. For instance, a kid forced to live with someone like you would probably be very suicidal and I could see schools opening as a net positive for both.

That's a really vile thing to say. I would rather my hypothetical kid hang out with their friends and do whatever, rather than go to school. School is a fool's errand right now; it's not working as education because students and teachers are out all the time, and it increases risk. The alternative to school oughtn't be "you're locked in your house in misery and isolation."

EDIT: Granted that was, in early 2021, the rule. That was poo poo. We absolutely should not do that again, for children or adults.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

McGavin posted:

I mean everyone knows that child/teen suicides go up on snow days.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
Way I see it is schools gonna be half empty because no one wants to get sick or because no one isn’t sick. Their choice.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Trapick posted:

lmao

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Trapick posted:

Roflmao

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Laugh all you want, it's true. Age affects it, obviously, but lots of kids are really happy at school. Have you people not met any kids? Until teen years they usually have a great time, school is chill.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

My 6 year old is chomping at the bit to go back to school. I'm sure if there was no online learning shed be fine hanging out but the 4 hours a day of sitting watching YouTube videos on phoned in classes while she can see a little 1" square of her friends on Teams is bothering her more every day.

If the government wanted to pay me 3.5k a month to stay home then I'd keep her home when classes went back but unfortunately it feels like they've given up. She's vaccinated at least so that's good.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

And don’t forget, not everyone has a happy home life. For some kids school is an escape from that.

Now I don’t believe the parents calling CBC for a second cause anyone calling a radio show to give their opinion is likely a broke brained boomer, but it is conceivable that there are children out there who are mentally suffering due to the lack of social activity that school provides.

\/\/\/ I came out of high school hating everyone and traumatized by our terrible medical system, lol

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Show of hands here, who didn’t come out of middleschool traumatized

PT6A posted:

Look at r/childfree here laying down all these sick truth bombs about people’s kids and their well being

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The kids I knew in grade 6 to 8 who tried to kill themselves all tried to do it at school so they could get away from their abusive parents. It's highly unlikely those are the kinds of parents who call up CBC because they care about their kids wellbeing.

My SO is a teacher and has experienced a huge increase in CPS calls the last 2 years. She teaches in a rural area and despite being a religious and anti-alcohol area, a lot of the kids have abuse alcoholic parents. Being in a small town setting some calls to CPS are not made because the principal knows so and so at the church or whatever so they will look the other way or really wait until it gets bad to even make the call. The smaller the town the worse it was for the delay.

Will opening schools prevent this suicide epidemic? No, but it's the easiest thing to do because no way will the government give resources to schools or try to prevent alcohol sales by funding health services.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Starting to think PT6A doesn't know anything at all about kids lmao

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Fried Watermelon posted:

The kids I knew in grade 6 to 8 who tried to kill themselves all tried to do it at school so they could get away from their abusive parents. It's highly unlikely those are the kinds of parents who call up CBC because they care about their kids wellbeing.

The ones who were trying to kill me were doing it because their lovely home lives overflowed into my otherwise-happy one. I didn't much care for it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

leftist heap posted:

Starting to think PT6A doesn't know anything at all about kids lmao

Starting to think you should shut your ignorant loving mouth if you think we should allow COVID to simply ravage the vulnerable because school is just so so important!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I mean sure people will die, but it probably won't be me so gently caress them, I guess.

You're a bunch of goddamn psychopaths.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Or maybe, just maybe, it’s possible to acknowledge that different things have different risks, benefits and negatives, and that it’s possible to have a reasonable discussion about balancing the different risks and side effects.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The old world and moral absolutes is dying.
A new world struggles to be born.
Now is the time of monsters.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

So everyone has to put themselves at risk by going to school in-person, teachers have to put themselves at risk, we're asking retired teachers to fill the gaps, no learning's going on anyway, just because some parents are drunk and bad? That seems like a really profoundly stupid way to address the problem.

Just admit you loving hate your kids and can't stand having them around, to the point you'd rather expose them to a deadly disease.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

PT6A posted:

Starting to think you should shut your ignorant loving mouth if you think we should allow COVID to simply ravage the vulnerable because school is just so so important!

I know this isn't usually what people mean by "covid is just the flu!!" but I wonder if there's any accounting of how many people died each year pre-pandemic from influenza etc. spread in schools. Like how many orders of magnitude between those numbers?

I guess I'm still kinda shook that it's in our power to get influenza deaths down to zero.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

I can't imagine why goons would have different views about social interaction at school.

Kids, like zoo animals, need enrichment beyond the scope of the their home

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

pokeyman posted:

I know this isn't usually what people mean by "covid is just the flu!!" but I wonder if there's any accounting of how many people died each year pre-pandemic from influenza etc. spread in schools. Like how many orders of magnitude between those numbers?

I guess I'm still kinda shook that it's in our power to get influenza deaths down to zero.

I think we're right to be shook by that. It's genuinely disturbing that we simply put up with exposing people to a deadly disease because the alternative is inconvenient. It's basically Homer's argument "sure lowering the speed limit will save lives, but millions will be late!"

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Unlike summer vacation, the current situation is less being free from the shackles of education but being stuck in a significantly worse educational setting. I am not writing letters to the editor about my kids mental health, but dismissing that some kids are struggling is idiotic.

Everyone is struggling with their mental health at the moment, our kids are no exception.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mae posted:

I can't imagine why goons would have different views about social interaction at school.

Kids, like zoo animals, need enrichment beyond the scope of the their home

Of course they do. No one's talking about forbidding children to leave their homes, no one's talking about shutting schools down permanently, just that classrooms of 20-30 amidst huge rates of community spread do not really allow for sufficient risk mitigation at this point.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Scott Moe got COVID, just yesterday he did a press conference and kept on taking his mask off when he talked.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yes I'm sure kids will be getting a quality education

*Checks news* oh Durham District School Board is allowing anyone with a university degree to apply to be a substitute teacher. No teaching degree required.

Big capital requires childcare. Carnitas por los machina.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

"The safest place for kids is school" and "the safest state for kids is being watered, fed, warm, unabused, interacting with others, maybe learning something" are two different statements. The only approach to the latter that we can come up with two years into a pandemic is the former, but that doesn't make it the only possibility.

Like a lot of things, school sucked before the pandemic, now it sucks even more during the pandemic. Mashing the "back to Normal" button is just a failure of imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

MA-Horus posted:

Yes I'm sure kids will be getting a quality education

*Checks news* oh Durham District School Board is allowing anyone with a university degree to apply to be a substitute teacher. No teaching degree required.

Big capital requires childcare. Carnitas por los machina.

Well, that is a more stringent requirement than the last year's "Anyone with a child" barrier.