Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Amstrad posted:

Two shows where the protagonist are working to rebuild the collapsing economies of their respective kingdoms and protect their kingdoms from various diplomatic and martial crisis are different concepts?
Sure there are some differences in the specifics, but my ultimate argument is, if you're watching the one that seems to be less well produced (Genius Prince) and aren't watching the other one (Realist Hero) that's being handled better, then you're doing something wrong.

Realist Hero is a power fantasy about how a kid with some basic education and modern knowledge gets to school a bunch of medieval fantasy people and acquire wealth and status (and a harem) by reviving a ruined kingdom.

Genius Prince is a comedy about a Prince who desperately wants to be out of his tiny backwoods kingdom by having it get assimilated by the neighboring Empire, but is constantly tripped up when his plans to make his kingdom more appealing end up more successful than he intended.

The focus of the first one is on how the MC is going to fix things, while the focus of the second one is how is the MC going to escape his own unexpected success.

It's totally fine to like one of them, both of them, or neither of them, but I would be hard pressed to recommend Genius Prince to someone on the basis of them liking Realist Hero or vice versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Fantasy Bishoujo is surprisingly entertaining. The male MC has a pretty unique and cool design and the female MC is cute even if her Bowsette esque appearance turned me off at first, and their banter are hilarious. Also, I feel like it's the first isekai I've seen this season that takes it's time with it's episode instead of trying to play racing game.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i immediately did some googling

are you calling 'spiky teeth' and that alone a bowsette-esque appearance because you made a promise this skinny blonde is not fulfilling

or are these google image results hiding something more triumphant

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Patware posted:

are you calling 'spiky teeth' and that alone a bowsette-esque appearance because you made a promise this skinny blonde is not fulfilling

She’s also gender flipped.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

Patware posted:

There's also her blond hair and her... Ear thingy?

Now I regret not reading the manga before.

Since I talked about isekai playing racing game. Leadale episode 2 covers up until chapter 8 of the manga. At least it doesn't go all rapid fire pace and instead just skips straight to the capital

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

if you're gonna say bowsette to me i'm going to expect POWER

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It stands to reason that if the majestic king of Koopas is turned into a total bombshell via this formula, a scrawny salaryman would be turned into a scrawny little thing

My anime of the season is easily Ranking of Kings now that you don't need Funi or :filez: to watch it. That and Oddtaxi are sitting comfortably on top of last year's anime mountain, watching all the gacha/web novel/shonen jump adaptations battle for scraps

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't understand the reference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodora_(wife_of_Justinian_I)

I think/hope Raenir meant a story where someone who comes from nothing rises to power by marrying an Emperor or something like that, not the seedy (and probably partly made up by Procopius) details.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

not too long ago i said i found demon slayer to be just okay. well, this season is actually pretty great so far (with the exception of the humor, which just doesn't work for me)
the art is also great as usual

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Amstrad posted:

Two shows where the protagonist are working to rebuild the collapsing economies of their respective kingdoms and protect their kingdoms from various diplomatic and martial crisis are different concepts?
Sure there are some differences in the specifics, but my ultimate argument is, if you're watching the one that seems to be less well produced (Genius Prince) and aren't watching the other one (Realist Hero) that's being handled better, then you're doing something wrong.

Realist Hero was absolutely not well-produced in the second half of the series.

I liked Genius Hero quite a bit. The tone is solid, instead of wacky humor it's more Youjo Senki-style irony. The bit at the end where the two leads are in gloomy disbelief that it actually worked out was pretty endearing. It's just the first episode but it wasn't indulgently glorifying the MC. He's just a guy who's reasonably smart, really lucky and has an excellent poker face. Also, it has a hero and heroine who seem to be into each other without it being a big thing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

realist hero was not even well produced in its first two episodes, unless you are just always grading on a curve

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

dogsicle posted:

realist hero was not even well produced in its first two episodes, unless you are just always grading on a curve

Genius hero wasn't exactly better considering how bad it looks in motion and the fact that they clearly had to just use episode animation for both the OP and ED.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I dont really see unfinished ops or eds as much of a bad sign, loads have great shows (looking at shaft) have those

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Davincie posted:

I dont really see unfinished ops or eds as much of a bad sign, loads have great shows (looking at shaft) have those

Maybe not on their own, but in combination with everything else it is. The director is clearly writing checks that the team can't cash, though that's nothing really new in TYOOL 2022

kirtar fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 13, 2022

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

kirtar posted:

Genius hero wasn't exactly better considering how bad it looks in motion and the fact that they clearly had to just use episode animation for both the OP and ED.

i just have a hard time imagining there's much difference in the failings of both shows' productions, from what I've seen of the genius hero premiere. would agree that neither is particularly good in that regard.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I enjoyed the first episode of fantasy knockout

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

dogsicle posted:

i just have a hard time imagining there's much difference in the failings of both shows' productions, from what I've seen of the genius hero premiere. would agree that neither is particularly good in that regard.

The main saving grace of Realist Hero is that for better or for worse they're mostly adapting the underlying story faithfully. We'll have to see if Genius Prince proceeds at ludicrous speed for the rest of the season. I will grant Genius Prince's underlying drawings, especially of the main characters, are of much higher quality, but the actual movement ranges from "this is pretty standard" to "wtf how are they not using decades old animation tricks to make this not look awful"

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Average animation can be forgiven if a show has interesting designs and some personality and Genius Hero had more of both than Realist Hero imo. I actually had forgotten how bad that show looked right from the start.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Genius prince didn't look too bad in the show proper. The op and ed clearly were rush jobs, but if there's something they're going to skimp on I'd rather it be there than where the actual show is.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Everything Burrito posted:

Sasaki and Miyano was super cute and fluffy as expected :3:

Sasamiya is very fluffy.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Patware posted:

Ok

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

WORDS MEAN THINGS, NAMTAB

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Leadale is a good, chill show. Lots of good goofy faces and endearing characters, and the MC is pretty fun. I wasn't expecting to be something I was going to keep watching past the first episode or two but I think I'll stick with it weekly.

Tokyo 24th Ward had an interesting first episode, but it feels like a show that's going to live or die on how good/dumb the writing gets.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 13, 2022

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Average animation can be forgiven if a show has interesting designs and some personality and Genius Hero had more of both than Realist Hero imo. I actually had forgotten how bad that show looked right from the start.
Very invested in which of these two insanely mediocre looking shows will win the heart of ADTRW

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Leadale is a good, chill show. Lots of good goofy faces and endearing characters, and the MC is pretty fun. I wasn't expecting to be something I was going to keep watching past the first episode or two but I think I'll stick with it weekly.

Tokyo 24th Ward had an interesting first episode, but it feels like a show that's going to live or die on how good/dumb the writing gets.

Given that it has to share resources with two manga adaptations within the production company, it'll at least need that because the other two are gonna be extremely needy for good animation

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I hope bookworm doesn't have a mediocre season in spring. I'm really looking forward to that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodora_(wife_of_Justinian_I)

I think/hope Raenir meant a story where someone who comes from nothing rises to power by marrying an Emperor or something like that, not the seedy (and probably partly made up by Procopius) details.

More that the protagonist finds themselves in a situation sorta like in the Eliza Villainess series. Where they find themselves in a "doomed" situation with many enemies in a "doomed"/declining Empire and numerous challenges and need to rely on their grit and wits and sheer will to turn things around. Theodora single handedly saved the Eastern Empire on Justinian's behalf when he was in a plague ridden-ed coma.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

man, tensai ouji was kinda disappointing. the animation isn't really that good, and takes a lot of shortcuts (that work well for comedic effect) and the 3dcg is quite bad. throwing in that awkward 3dcg intro left a sour taste. on the other hand, some of the humor is amusing and the character designs are cute. and takahashi rie voices one of the main characters.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
New Bottom-Tier Character Tomozaki anime project announced
https://twitter.com/tomozakikoshiki/status/1481929088029782021?s=20

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Speaking of project no. 9, pv for love after world domination is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIRwGutnj98

marumaru
May 20, 2013

new teaser visual for kanokari s2:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i've been tremendously enjoying all the drama after the cuckolding chapter

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I’m glad we’re all hype for rent a girlfriend s2

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Coaaab posted:

Speaking of project no. 9, pv for love after world domination is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIRwGutnj98

I love this manga so I really hope they don’t gently caress this up.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Davincie posted:

i've been tremendously enjoying all the drama after the cuckolding chapter

yeah, it's funny how crazy the internet is going about that chapter.
i didn't really register it at the time, just thought it was a slow, boring, repetitive chapter where nothing happened once again, even went back to reread it to make sure i had read the right chapter

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

marumaru posted:

yeah, it's funny how crazy the internet is going about that chapter.
i didn't really register it at the time, just thought it was a slow, boring, repetitive chapter where nothing happened once again, even went back to reread it to make sure i had read the right chapter
it's realy funny because it's just him making himself miserable in his own imagination (and also being aroused by it)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Coaaab posted:

it's realy funny because it's just him making himself miserable in his own imagination (and also being aroused by it)

romcom mangas would be 3 chapters long if the characters had the ability to be upfront with one another

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the rent-a-girlfriend manga actually has interesting story concepts but theyre proceeding so slowly

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
such is the nature of weekly serialized manga, especially once they've plateaued in popularity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

marumaru posted:

romcom mangas would be 3 chapters long if the characters had the ability to be upfront with one another

Yeah Ore Monogatari rules