Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

D-Pad posted:

Confirmation Eisenhorn TV show is still being pursued and seeing progress:

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/warhammer-creator-games-workshop-issues-6471855

Progress seems like a stretch. That article is more confirmation that it's not dead in the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

kanonvandekempen posted:

Progress seems like a stretch. That article is more confirmation that it's not dead in the water.

A writers room working on it is pretty encouraging, though the fact they're going for an LA agency and the American style writers room rather than a single UK writer makes me think they might be looking to shoot in North America. I'm in the tv industry in the UK and id give my left nut to get onto that show if they shoot it here.

(Which they should, who else can properly portray a fascist theocratic hellscape than the hated British?)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

a lovely king posted:

A writers room working on it is pretty encouraging, though the fact they're going for an LA agency and the American style writers room rather than a single UK writer makes me think they might be looking to shoot in North America. I'm in the tv industry in the UK and id give my left nut to get onto that show if they shoot it here.

(Which they should, who else can properly portray a fascist theocratic hellscape than the hated British?)
I mean... as an Irishman I want to agree with you, but the USA is doing pretty well at that portrayal of late.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

D-Pad posted:

Confirmation Eisenhorn TV show is still being pursued and seeing progress:

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/warhammer-creator-games-workshop-issues-6471855
Henry Cavill passion project let's gooooo

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

a lovely king posted:

The USA is a fascist theocratic hellscape? They're even sacrificing people at the same rate as the Golden Throne.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

a lovely king posted:

I can't wait for them to visit a forest planet that looks like that one forest in Vancouver and a hive world that looks suspiciously like Toronto with sci-fi signage.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I doubt he's affordable, but I always thought Mads Mikkelsen would make an amazing Eisenhorn. Especially if they go with the whole "facial expression nerves are cauterized so my face is a perpetual deadpan" angle, which I doubt they will.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Sephyr posted:

I doubt he's affordable, but I always thought Mads Mikkelsen would make an amazing Eisenhorn. Especially if they go with the whole "facial expression nerves are cauterized so my face is a perpetual deadpan" angle, which I doubt they will.

I wonder why Abnett came up with that, given that it's super cheesy and he never used it for much of anything (unless you count an ominous hint when Eisenhorn smiles at the end of the Magos), even occasionally forgot it.

Maybe it was a meta-joke referencing the fact that the character is really a plastic miniature?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

DirtyRobot posted:

Henry Cavill passion project let's gooooo

He could star in every series, like Evan Peters in American Horror Story. Have him be Eisenhorn, and then Ravenor too. The Emperor. Sanguinius. Gaunt. Cain. Ghazghkull Thraka.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

NihilCredo posted:

Maybe it was a meta-joke referencing the fact that the character is really a plastic miniature?

I think it's this. Also "this character literally can't smile" is about as on the nose for 40k as it gets.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I always assumed that plasteel and plastek also a reference to them being plastic models. I like that sorta dumb stuff

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Improbable Lobster posted:

I always assumed that plasteel and plastek also a reference to them being plastic models. I like that sorta dumb stuff

I'm not really old enough to remember but I believe the older runs were mostly/all metal so if older novels also have that they probably not? Also go on Twitter to ask em.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I think it was just an early attempt at a distinctive, grimdark trait that got swept aside when the characters just grew past needing props. "Big scar over one eye? Been done. Cybernetic mouth or neck? Looks goofy. Burn marks? Ehh, too much like a scar. Facial tattoo? Well, he may need to be undercover at some point. Got it! He has a cold, unfelling face, like his job! And it's not even by choice!"

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Strong and Cavill should fight over who gets to play Eisenhorn in the TV series. Best 2 out of 3.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Azubah posted:

Strong and Cavill should fight over who gets to play Eisenhorn in the TV series. Best 2 out of 3.

Alternating between episodes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Henry Cavill and Vin Diesel should pool their money together to create the ultimate nerd passion project.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Henry Cavill and Vin Diesel should pool their money together to create the ultimate nerd passion project.

A sex tape?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

He voiced Eisenhorn in the crappy mobile game version of Xenos. Only good part of it was his narration.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

notaspy posted:

A sex tape?

Don't tell me you wouldn't want Vin's shiny dome.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
You can't see Vin's shiny bald head and doubt that he would be a good Lorgar

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

I can't wait for them to visit a forest planet that looks like that one forest in Vancouver and a hive world that looks suspiciously like Toronto with sci-fi signage.

yeah it's gonna rock.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Z the IVth posted:

The USA is a fascist theocratic hellscape? They're even sacrificing people at the same rate as the Golden Throne.

We're reaching our first million sacrifices (or maybe have already, we're not keen on keeping accurate count lol) to keep the economy running like it always has been.

Dejavu.

e;
https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1481422677718011904?s=21

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 13, 2022

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The most recent Hammer and Bolter episode really made me realize how fuckin' badass Cadians are even after having read all the tidbits of lore about them over the years.

Did the Imperium ever go about getting them a new homeworld? Because they should. loving turn that place into an Astartes recruiting world once they do. Win all the wars on every front.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AndyElusive posted:

The most recent Hammer and Bolter episode really made me realize how fuckin' badass Cadians are even after having read all the tidbits of lore about them over the years.

Did the Imperium ever go about getting them a new planet? Because loving turn that place into a recruiting world once they do. Win all the wars on every front.

The surviving regiments colonized a boatload of planets following the fall of the gate and they've started training successor regiments as part of the greater Cadian diaspora.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 13, 2022

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There are like 20 planets named New Cadia because a bunch of victorious Cadian regiments have been given planets over the years.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Oh wow.

In that case, destroying Cadia was both the best and worst move Chaos ever made.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Oh wow.

In that case, destroying Cadia was both the best and worst move Chaos ever made.

Ehh. Depends on what they write.

Normally, no longer being contained in an isolated mutating hellscape and being able to harvest whole planets for material and resources instead of butting heads agains tthe Cadian Gate would be the jackpot for Chaos.

Sure, make more Cadias to churn out bodies in green carrying lasrifles. Khorne approves.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Ripping the Imperium in half is going to greatly benefit Chaos, it's not necessarily going to benefit the Chaos Marines. The Long War has been shoved aside in favor of survival and the Imperium has new blood flowing through It's sclerotic veins.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Its also a good example of how GW could completely gently caress an EXTREMELY popular sub group of a faction but not gently caress over the tabletop players.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

wiegieman posted:

There are like 20 planets named New Cadia because a bunch of victorious Cadian regiments have been given planets over the years.

How does that work?

Is it new cadia, new new cadia, new new new cadia etc. Or new cadia I, new cadia II, new cadia III?

The regiments must get crazy as well - first new cadians II third new cadians, second new cadians III.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

notaspy posted:

How does that work?

Is it new cadia, new new cadia, new new new cadia etc. Or new cadia I, new cadia II, new cadia III?

The regiments must get crazy as well - first new cadians II third new cadians, second new cadians III.

They're probably all just New Cadia and think they're the only one. They're probably completely unaware there's like, 17 other New Cadias.

Space is big, and the Imperium's record-keeping is spotty at the best of times.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

notaspy posted:

How does that work?

The Imperium is galactic in scale with hundreds of thousands of inhabited planets. Theres not a lot of overlap I imagine.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Yvonmukluk posted:

They're probably all just New Cadia and think they're the only one. They're probably completely unaware there's like, 17 other New Cadias.

Space is big, and the Imperium's record-keeping is spotty at the best of times.

Incoming Dan Abnett novel

"There is no New Cadia in the Segmentum Obscuras"

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
In Requiem Infernal the planet’s name change request gets approved and it becomes Penitence 47, or something, because all these shrine worlds have the same unimaginative names.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The Cadia animation was pretty good, but it would have been better if they had purple eyes.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
Do Cadians have purple eyes? I thought that was the native inhabitants that the word bearers met, who they later wiped out and resettled new colonists.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

von Metternich posted:

Do Cadians have purple eyes? I thought that was the native inhabitants that the word bearers met, who they later wiped out and resettled new colonists.

Something about the planetary atmosphere and being close to the eye fucks with the inhabitants eyes over the generations.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Thoughts on the Dawn of Fire series? I know GW/BL want to be like the HH series of novels but that had strong showings by Abnett and McNeill early on, but it sounds like so far Avenging Son is by far the best of the lot. I know Thorpe isn't a great writer (kudos to him for regularly doing xenos POV works, though) and I'm not overly fond of the Space Wolves so I probably would have skipped Wolftime anyway. The only thing by Clark I've read was the "Crusade" novella, which I remember as having pretty flat Ultramarines characters and mustache-twirling Death Guard baddies. Should I skip Gates of Bone as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Panama Red posted:

Thoughts on the Dawn of Fire series? I know GW/BL want to be like the HH series of novels but that had strong showings by Abnett and McNeill early on, but it sounds like so far Avenging Son is by far the best of the lot. I know Thorpe isn't a great writer (kudos to him for regularly doing xenos POV works, though) and I'm not overly fond of the Space Wolves so I probably would have skipped Wolftime anyway. The only thing by Clark I've read was the "Crusade" novella, which I remember as having pretty flat Ultramarines characters and mustache-twirling Death Guard baddies. Should I skip Gates of Bone as well?

I really really liked Gate of Bones. I've heard that Wolftime is hot garbage though.