Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

lmao I just got to this part in book 5

"I can be as hard as I must, he thought, stroking his sword hilt. For him, I can."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

cailleask posted:

They are exactly the right amount of extra for the Seanchan, which is like the empire of extra.

Also please enjoy this map from instagram which is also very extra.

Any source on that instagram? This is a lovely map, but I wish it had more pixels.

Edit: I found a tag at the bottom right that led me here: https://linktr.ee/dimensiondoormaps

Jadus fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 12, 2022

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Jadus posted:

Any source on that instagram? This is a lovely map, but I wish it had more pixels.

Edit: I found a tag at the bottom right that led me here: https://linktr.ee/dimensiondoormaps

The guy posted it on Reddit, and it's not a vector based illustration so it isn't scaleable it just is the size it is.

You can buy the full color print from the person who made it and the B/W & Sepia ones are free for fans.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

If it does anything at all before getting canceled, getting us better maps would be well worth Amazon's $80+ million dollars.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

goethe.cx posted:

"I can be as hard as I must, he thought, stroking his sword hilt. For him, I can."

Under all the flashy book stuff, there’s one theme everything else is built on: men must always be rock hard.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

latinotwink1997 posted:

Under all the flashy book stuff, there’s one theme everything else is built on: men must always be rock hard.

Post, username, etc etc.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
drat that's a nice map. If I weren't poor as pigshit I'd definitely consider buying a print. Though it appears to be unlisted on etsy so the artist might've already had too many buyers to serve hah. Good for them if so.

Pleads posted:

If it does anything at all before getting canceled, getting us better maps would be well worth Amazon's $80+ million dollars.

I'm just hoping it inspires a Preston Jacobs style obsessive person to start making videos about it.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

goethe.cx posted:

you could make an absolutely MASSIVE that's what she/he said supercut from the audiobooks.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Another great moment from my book 5 reread that I didn't catch when I was younger:

Nynaeve is moping around out of guilt about Birgitte, and Thom is talking with Elayne about how to cheer her up. He says the way to cheer up a man who's sulking is to "get him drunk and find him a pr--", then cuts himself off. Elayne gets annoyed because she's not 12 and Thom shouldn't have to censor himself around her. Later we find out that she thought he was going to say "pretty young woman."

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Also just finished book 5, and Mat's temporary death just made me think of the OSHA thread "boots off, must be dead" meme.

drat but the late game of that book is just one escalation after another though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Killer robot posted:

Also just finished book 5, and Mat's temporary death just made me think of the OSHA thread "boots off, must be dead" meme.

drat but the late game of that book is just one escalation after another though.

That was done so well. I was in immediate 'what the gently caress? They're main characters! They can't die!' reaction before Rand went completely apeshit.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That was done so well. I was in immediate 'what the gently caress? They're main characters! They can't die!' reaction before Rand went completely apeshit.

The concept of ta'veren was definitely RJ winking at what we now call plot armor, right

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

goethe.cx posted:

The concept of ta'veren was definitely RJ winking at what we now call plot armor, right

Yeah, and I think its pretty brilliant tbh.

Tinydryad
Aug 13, 2004

This newb claimed by ChlamydiaJones; remember, bad things happen in theaters sometimes.

I'm getting to the end of TDR in my reread. The wolves just want to be bros, Perrin. You'd be a lot cooler if you'd realize that sooner and mope a lot less. Mat just figured out what explosives are, and the world will never be the same, haha.

I'm watching the show over again too. Setting all the story changes aside, I don't understand some of the design changes. I hate the design of the Aes Sedai rings. Why are they SO big? What is the purpose for that? They certainly don't need the rings to be color coded when their entire outfits are. Apparently everyone in the world recognizes them on sight, which is dumb.

The CG is weirdly inconsistent. The weaving effect is pretty good, and the lightning in the village fight is good. But the trollocs look crappy and cheap. Mashadar is flat out awful. Must have been cheaper to animate creepy magic mold than to generate evil fog? Another bad design change. Spooky fog that's going to eat you would have looked so cool.

Tinydryad fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 14, 2022

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Any idea when Wheel Takes is going to do the last episode? It's been 3 weeks since episode 7. They on vacation?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I love how much he likes fireworks cause he wants to know how they work and everyone else is like you’re gonna blow your dick off Mat.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Barreft posted:

Any idea when Wheel Takes is going to do the last episode? It's been 3 weeks since episode 7. They on vacation?

??? Episode 8 has been out for a while.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I’m only showing episode 7 and episode 7 addendum.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh I used the link https://www.buzzsprout.com/762050 that I got from here

e: going around I still don't see it, maybe need to be a sub? I dunno

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Reading (skimming) Crossroads of Twilight.....did Egwene just casually rediscover cuendillar off-screen?

edit: I realize that she says Moggy helped but that's just a retcon

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 14, 2022

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Barreft posted:

Ali has/had covid so they haven't recorded anything since the new year but I think they're trying to record soon so it's coming eventually.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Ali has/had covid so they haven't recorded anything since the new year but I think they're trying to record soon so it's coming eventually.

Alright cool thanks!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tinydryad posted:

I hate the design of the Aes Sedai rings. Why are they SO big? What is the purpose for that?

Make them easier to see without really tight shots.

Yea, it's dumb.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

If you want the in-universe reason it's so they can wave them around like Moiraine does in episode one and get people to respect/fear them into being more compliant. It's their cop badge, as it were, so it makes sense that they make it big so that people can see it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There's always a big problem with doing an adaptation of an existing work where all the obscure mysteries have already been revealed, like who the Aes Sedai are. The people doing the adaptation (usually) know all the answers and have to start over again from scratch trying to keep things mysterious, and they're often not very good at it.

So small universe details like the Aes Sedai rings, which in the book nobody recognizes because nobody has seen an Aes Sedai except their great-aunt one time, become these huge DUN DUN DUN fanfare moments because that's what they are to someone who's read the whole story before. And that's why you get poo poo like mithril coins being common currency in LOTRO, when in the book nobody had even heard of it. Adapters can't resist flaunting their insider knowledge, partly because they think they're doing fanservice, and partly because they're just not as subtle or careful because it's not their idea in the first place.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'm enjoying Egwane's arc in "The Lord of Chaos" a lot more than I remember. I liked Aiel-Egwane a lot with her POV's having her very obviously take on Aiel methods of thought. Amyrlin-Egwane immediately throwing the sitters for a loop when she raised the accepted to Aes Sedai when they expected her to be pliable was a good scene.

She's like a good sponge that happily absorbs the cultures and information of her surroundings and adapts quickly.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Egwene’s story is either my favorite or second favorite in the entire series. Especially when we get to Knife of Dreams/Gathering Storm.

She’s not my favorite character but I think her’s and Rand’s descent to madness were the most compelling stories.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

theblackw0lf posted:

Egwene’s story is either my favorite or second favorite in the entire series. Especially when we get to Knife of Dreams/Gathering Storm.

She’s not my favorite character but I think her’s and Rand’s descent to madness were the most compelling stories.

Agreed, I think she had one of the most well-rounded character arcs, was not a perfect character but was admirable, and I think her death shocked me the most out of any in the series.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Tinydryad posted:

I'm watching the show over again too. Setting all the story changes aside, I don't understand some of the design changes. I hate the design of the Aes Sedai rings. Why are they SO big? What is the purpose for that? They certainly don't need the rings to be color coded when their entire outfits are. Apparently everyone in the world recognizes them on sight, which is dumb.

My random guess is they decided to give the rings great big coloured stones to represent the Ajah. Then realized after they'd already produced dozens or hundreds of rings that you could barely to not at all see the colour in most shots so decided to go with colour coded outfits instead but they already had the rings so :shrug:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Honestly not sure why they didn't give them colored shawls instead of fully colored dresses. You'd still get their Ajah across to the audience while giving your costume team more freedom to work.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

Honestly not sure why they didn't give them colored shawls instead of fully colored dresses. You'd still get their Ajah across to the audience while giving your costume team more freedom to work.

It'd also make Valda even creepier, considering that he'd probably be flying murdered women's cloaks in his tent the same way Pedron Niall flies old battlefield banners.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

The Midniter posted:

Agreed, I think she had one of the most well-rounded character arcs, was not a perfect character but was admirable, and I think her death shocked me the most out of any in the series.
I disagree a bit, she's not as bad as Elayne but far from my favorite. I think she could have used a bit more internal struggle overall, as often it felt like she blended in to whatever environment with little difficulty or self-doubt. It's a bit like she was ta'veren and just fully accepted and even expected the benefits, which feels narratively cheaper than the actual ta'veren boys who try to reject their powers.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CainFortea posted:

Make them easier to see without really tight shots.

Yea, it's dumb.

They still should have sent the snakes around the stones. As it is they're too over the top.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
For the same reason they have made a lot of the changes, they* don't trust the intelligence or observational abilities of the audience as a whole, and want to make it accessible to people of limited watching abilities. That includes the loudest, dumbest blogger you can think of. The same reason the scene with delerious Tam was moved to e7. The same reason the Lady Aes Sedai told LTT exactly what was going to happen if he tried to seal the bore, and why she wouldn't help him. It's why there are not 2 halves of the power. They believe it will confuse people new to the property.

*This is more than likely a studio interference thing, not the showmakers being condescending to their audience. "If you want a show, you have to listen to our Engagement Committee. They have notes. 8 x 1 hour episodes has great analytics!"

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Collateral posted:

The same reason the scene with delerious Tam was moved to e7.

While I agree with your general premise this, specifically, was more likely because of their desire to keep who the DR is a mystery. Tam's fevered ramblings, especially if in the first episode, would have made it too obvious.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Collateral posted:

It's why there are not 2 halves of the power.

There are two halves, it's stated within in show as well as the extra materials.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Spek posted:

While I agree with your general premise this, specifically, was more likely because of their desire to keep who the DR is a mystery. Tam's fevered ramblings, especially if in the first episode, would have made it too obvious.

It could have been used as a clue that it could be Rand, like they teased clues with all the others. They cut or obfuscated all Rand related clues until the info dump.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

There are two halves, it's stated within in show as well as the extra materials.

Honestly, it feels more like an Easter egg than an important part of the setting.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If only the next season had two main characters spending time in magic school where something like that will be explained, ah, well, nevertheless,

(The word Saidin was literally in the show idk where this idea that they're getting rid of it comes from)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Gwaihir posted:

If only the next season had two main characters spending time in magic school where something like that will be explained, ah, well, nevertheless,

(The word Saidin was literally in the show idk where this idea that they're getting rid of it comes from)

The word was in the show, but it wasn't translated as Sai'din in the subtitle transcription of the Old Tongue. As of this complete first season the two halves of the One Power have not been addressed other than as that one easter-egg-level mention in passing.

Which is fine, by me, as long as they get the gently caress into the two halves right away next season. I'm honestly unsure about whether they will or not. They seem really, really antsy about gender-essentialism.