Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Literally A Person posted:

Milwaukee shows up at jobsites because they have a shitload of specialty tools in thier cordless line-up. They sell a loving battery operated pipe freezer for the love of God.

Why do people want to freeze pipes? To temporarily plug them while in use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I need to know the diameter of pipes it can freeze.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

taqueso posted:

Why do people want to freeze pipes? To temporarily plug them while in use?

Pretty much. Create an ice plug to work behind so you don't have to drain an entire water system.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
And spare myself the joy of trying to solder a pipe that only leaks when the torch is lit? No thank you

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
If you are starting with Dewalt I would recommend trying find a kit or deal that comes with a flexvolt battery. The retail pricing on flexvolt batteries is brutal but the pricing on the 60v tools isn’t bad. The standard charger for flexvolt batteries is also better.

Dewalt and Mikta had the best selection of outdoor power tools last time I looked. You can get lawnmower that runs on drill batteries now lol. Do you have strong preference on jig saw styles? Barrel vs Trigger? Dewalt makes both not sure about the other brands.

Doubling down on the friends and family tie breaker. I bought a kit that was on sale and gave my dad the tools I had duplicates of for Christmas.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Pretty much. Create an ice plug to work behind so you don't have to drain an entire water system.

TIL there is such a thing for sweating copper.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Mr. Mambold posted:

TIL there is such a thing for sweating copper.

Having a wife whose job consists of maintaining water systems I have learned much about plumbing tools. They all make me :stare:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Having a wife whose job consists of maintaining water systems I have learned much about plumbing tools. They all make me :stare:

Nice to have an expert opinion on how competent you are at laying pipe

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

SpeedFreek posted:

I killed my cordless drill, grinding and sparks from a brushless motor cant be good. I told myself when this happened I would buy into a red or yellow battery system, I'm still undecided and I got tired of using plug in drills real quick.

Other than the drill/driver kit I was planning on picking up a small chainsaw, the high torque impact, and eventually a tire inflator and flood light. Both make a good impact but Dewalt seems to have the better inflator, otherwise I cant really see anything else that stands out.

One thing with Milwaukee is it seems to be whats on everyone's truck when you're on a site.

You can’t go wrong with any of the big 3. I like DeWalt the most because they’ve historically offered the best support to their cordless users. You can still buy new 18v battery packs for their 20+ year old NiCad tools. Their flex volt backwards compatibility is really nice too.

Milwaukee catered/caters more to the mechanical trades than other brands, hence their ubiquity amongst plumbers & electricians. They are more expensive than DeWalt and Milwaukee fanboys are the worst. Their High Output batteries are also backwards compatible. Great tools, I say begrudgingly.

Makita probably makes the best tools out of the three but historically their support for users has been less than great. Specifically 5-6 years ago they dropped support for existing 18v batteries for their new “Star” batteries. So new tools wouldn’t work w existing battery packs without a third party adapter. Their 40v high output batteries are not backwards compatible and I worry that this line of tools is going to be receiving the most support going forward. Anecdotally, their batteries have been less durable than others.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Calidus posted:

If you are starting with Dewalt I would recommend trying find a kit or deal that comes with a flexvolt battery. The retail pricing on flexvolt batteries is brutal but the pricing on the 60v tools isn’t bad. The standard charger for flexvolt batteries is also better.

Dewalt and Mikta had the best selection of outdoor power tools last time I looked. You can get lawnmower that runs on drill batteries now lol. Do you have strong preference on jig saw styles? Barrel vs Trigger? Dewalt makes both not sure about the other brands.

Doubling down on the friends and family tie breaker. I bought a kit that was on sale and gave my dad the tools I had duplicates of for Christmas.

Did not know DeWalt had a barrel style jigsaw, thank you.

Does anyone prefer the D-handle style? It works fine but barrel style is easier to cut straight with. Something about pushing the saw from behind rather than pulling it through feels much better to me

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

canyoneer posted:

Nice to have an expert opinion on how competent you are at laying pipe

I try and take it as a compliment.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Another decent way to choose would be to go with whatever of the big 3 has a combo kit with what you need for the cheapest. If you're a homeowner/hobbyist you'll likely only be buying 3-7 tools anyways, so start with a cost savings.

At least with DeWalt it's significantly cheaper to buy a kit every so often than buying bare tools. Milwaukee's combo kits seem very expensive for anything more than 1 or 2 tools, you can get a 7-tool kit from DeWalt for like 500. Whereas I'm seeing a Milwaukee 5-tool kit for 800.

Although I'm seeing a Ryobi 12-tool kit for 600 that includes a miter saw (!!), jigsaw and brad nailer among others.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anyone have a cordless dremel / dremel-like tool that they recommend?

Primary use would be trimming my dogs claws. He is too wary of the hand clippers and they still sometimes draw blood :cry:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Uncle Enzo posted:

Although I'm seeing a Ryobi 12-tool kit for 600 that includes a miter saw (!!), jigsaw and brad nailer among others.

Aw gently caress, that would've been perfect like 4 months ago :mad:

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

That Works posted:

Anyone have a cordless dremel / dremel-like tool that they recommend?

Primary use would be trimming my dogs claws. He is too wary of the hand clippers and they still sometimes draw blood :cry:

Dremel sells couple packages just for pets. I have the $30 one, It’s really just a cheap dremel with 2 speed options and a couple sanding bands. Works well enough, but I never used it for anything besides pet nails.

Edit: took a couple weeks of training with treats for the dogs to tolerate it. We didn’t even turn it one for at least a week just touched it to their nails and gave them treats for a while.

Calidus fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 13, 2022

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Calidus posted:

Dremel sells couple packages just for pets. I have the $30 one, It’s really just a cheap dremel with 2 speed options and a couple sanding bands. Works well enough, but I never used it for anything besides pet nails.

Edit: took a couple weeks of training with treats for the dogs to tolerate it. We didn’t even turn it one for at least a week just touched it to their nails and gave them treats for a while.

Oh snap that sounds perfect, didn't know it existed. Thanks!

Yeah will have to train the dog to them. I trained our last one to the corded dremel but its annoying to use so want to replace it.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

wandler20 posted:

I've got 12v Milwaukee and 20v DeWalt. Both are great and no complaints from any of the tools I own. I will say my Flexvolt chainsaw might be my favorite cordless tool.

I really want the m12 fuel ratchet, HD has a combo with the drill, driver, 3/8 impact for $280 that I am eyeing up but cant justify. I see it as a luxury since I have a bunch of air tools and can get by. I like the flexvolt idea but one thing about Milwaukee is there is a local hardware store that sells them refurb and frequently has a company rep there, I've heard they can give you discounts sometimes.

Whats the weight of the Dewalt chainsaw like? I picked up the Milwaukee saw without battery and it felt like it could be one handed, I already have a big Stihl and need a limbing saw after my little husky wore out.

Milwaukee shows up at jobsites because they have a shitload of specialty tools in thier cordless line-up. They sell a loving battery operated pipe freezer for the love of God.
The knockout set is what I have seen convert people from other brands, anytime I let anyone use it the next time I see them they will have one on their truck. It saves so much time and goes through stainless like cardboard.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm still undecided but thinking I might go yellow if my trip to that hardware store has me leaving empty handed.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

SpeedFreek posted:

Whats the weight of the Dewalt chainsaw like? I picked up the Milwaukee saw without battery and it felt like it could be one handed, I already have a big Stihl and need a limbing saw after my little husky wore out.

The 12” 20v chainsaw saw can be seen one handed, the bigger flexvolt one probably not. That said I love my Dewalt pole saw that thing is champ bonus point for being able to switch the head to a 22” hedge trimmer.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I often get cranky looking at the Ryobi package deals because they always include drills, which is something I have enough of. I want a package that's like a cordless brushless circ saw a brad nailer and idk a cordless sawzall or a speaker system and lights or something.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CommonShore posted:

I often get cranky looking at the Ryobi package deals because they always include drills, which is something I have enough of. I want a package that's like a cordless brushless circ saw a brad nailer and idk a cordless sawzall or a speaker system and lights or something.

Same for me but DeWalt

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CommonShore posted:

If they did one where you could mix and match from a specific list I feel like they'd make bank

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm glad I obsessed over my intial Ryobi combo kit purchase (ended up with the braid nailer and 6.5 inch circ saw, among other things) because I know I'll never be buying another "combo" again.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Johnny Truant posted:

If they did one where you could mix and match from a specific list I feel like they'd make bank

Dewalt has done similar things before. Or at least things like buy 2 tools get one of these 5 free or whatever. Ironically I have a bunch of dewalt tools from a deal like that but no drill/driver since I have a 12v bosch set that has served me well but recently I have encountered a few situations where I wished I had the power of an 18(20)v set. Drilling with spade bits etc. Got to keep my eyes peeled for a good price in a drill driver set in canada I guess.

Also I'm still not sure what the differences are in dewalts drills. They have a lower end drill/driver set that is usually $200-300 then some kind of way more expensive high end set that's >400 I think.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

SpeedFreek posted:

one thing about Milwaukee is there is a local hardware store that sells them refurb and frequently has a company rep there, I've heard they can give you discounts sometimes.

The flexvolt saw is 12.45 pounds vs 10.7 for the Milwaukee. Depends on how strong you are I guess but I would not say the flexvolt saw is a one-hander.

That's a compelling situation with a local store having the hookup on Milwaukee. I'm yellow but if there'd been a local store with consistent good deals that probably would have been it for me, I strongly considered going red. People's brand advice typically assumes you're paying the same prices as anyone else. If you have a way to consistently get a brand of tools for less, that's that.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Squibbles posted:

Also I'm still not sure what the differences are in dewalts drills. They have a lower end drill/driver set that is usually $200-300 then some kind of way more expensive high end set that's >400 I think.

The differentiators are:
Size
Whether it has a hammer mode
General construction (metal chuck)
Power (particularly whether it has "Flexvolt advantage" ie boost mode with the 60v batteries)

Picking one I'd say your biggest choice is whether you need a hammer drill or not since less have that. I have I think the lowest-end (DCD771) and highest-end (DCD999) DeWalt drills. I'm very happy with the small cheap dcd771, lightweight and the clutch is fantastic for assembling furniture- I can dial it in where the fastener just barely dimples the wood before it cuts out. I've also drilled 1/2" holes through plate steel.

The big one, the dcd999, is much larger and much heavier. But it has a shitload of power and it was the only yellow hammer drill in stock at the store the day I needed one. Among other things I've used it to drill several dozen 1/2" holes in a concrete pond liner in a surprise hazardous pond I found on my sister's property. Holding it one-handed it blasted through 2" of concrete in about 2 seconds.

After you decide on whether you need a hammer drill I wouldn't stress it- they're all powerful, perfectly capable tools. Buy something on sale that feels good in your hand. If you have smaller hands, buy one from the Atomic line. Same batteries, smaller size, same or even more power.

If you can't tell the difference, the differences may not matter much for your needs. Assuming fairly standard needs.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
apologies if this is bringing back the recent “bundle chat”, but is there a thread consensus on “best ecosystem” for 18v tools?

Like if you’re coming from zero and you want a few basics, and you’re looking to start outfitting a toolbox over the next however many years, is there like a preference or “better value buy” to DeWalt vs Milwaukee vs Ryobi vs Makita, etc?

I know a lot of people also end up buying into “secondary” and “tertiary” brands for certain tools, etc. Any advice on that front? Any classes of tool that certain brands do best vs certain brands to avoid, etc?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Ok Comboomer posted:

apologies if this is bringing back the recent “bundle chat”, but is there a thread consensus on “best ecosystem” for 18v tools?

Like if you’re coming from zero and you want a few basics, and you’re looking to start outfitting a toolbox over the next however many years, is there like a preference or “better value buy” to DeWalt vs Milwaukee vs Ryobi vs Makita, etc?

I know a lot of people also end up buying into “secondary” and “tertiary” brands for certain tools, etc. Any advice on that front? Any classes of tool that certain brands do best vs certain brands to avoid, etc?

What is your favorite color?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

What is your favorite color?

blue and neon green, but everybody says those are the worst and to stick with yellow or red

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Ryobi is good enough for pretty much any homeowner. I've done some serious renovation on my own home and none of my tools have crapped out*. My brushless combo set tools have been going strong for over 3 years now.

*I murdered one drill by trying to mix some up some thick mortar with a paddle.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Hey I broke a ryobi drill too!

It doesn’t work out so well when you drop it off a ladder and it lands on the chuck.

My mom brought up the one+ drain auger that was in my dad’s workshop this Christmas and that was perfect timing because it apparently takes three years of my wife’s hair to clog the mbr shower drain.

E: vvv post/user combo lmao

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 14, 2022

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I've been happy with Ryobi as a casual homeowner and home mechanic. I've got a drill, 2x impact driver, impact, flashlight, shop light, miter saw (unused so far), leaf blower and 2x tire inflators. Nice selection of yard tools and drills, etc. Love the cheap tire inflator too for bikes. My leaf blower might have an issue where it goes from almost no power to full blast randomly (switch may be dirty or something) but otherwise they've been great for a few years.

The other tools are probably "better" but cost to benefit may not be in their favor for somebody like me.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's only been 8 months for me as a homeowner on team neon green but I'm still quite happy with it. They've been able to handle anything I throw at them. I'm also pretty close to a number of Home Depots, so if I do need another tool I can just swing out and grab it. That's a big consideration, what stores are close enough to you that you feel you could run to in the middle of a project if you discover you really need something.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I went with DeWalt but doing it all over again I might lean towards Ryobi because its juuuust a little cheaper and sometimes easier to find their stuff in stock or on sales. Whatever minor difference they might have in overall quality (if at all?) wouldn't really matter to me much because I just use them for general small projects in my own home. Maybe if I was doing this poo poo for a living smaller differences would matter.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah if I was a pro I would probably spend a bit more on DeWalt or Milwaukee. But hey, the countertop people that installed my quartz countertop had Ryobi drills. So even some professionals aren't getting crazy enough to go bigger than Ryobi.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I bought Hitachi to start and I have 5 skins, but I think I would have been better off with Ryobi.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

NomNomNom posted:

Ryobi is good enough for pretty much any homeowner. I've done some serious renovation on my own home and none of my tools have crapped out*. My brushless combo set tools have been going strong for over 3 years now.

*I murdered one drill by trying to mix some up some thick mortar with a paddle.

yeah it all depends on cost threshold and what you're doing i'm an avid homeowner hobbyist and haven't really had any issues / problems with my Green tools as long as I get the "upgrade" tool, the 1st tier feel kind of cheap.. I have 2 drills (one low level one mid-tier) which work just fine but there's def a difference between the two levels. I spent the extra money for the brushless sawzall because it's intended initial use was takign down / out bushes, it worked like a beast.

If you want better tools / are a pro generally you see more dewalt or Milwakee in those buckets / trucks, but I've also seen a lot of ryobi being used when I watch youtube for bigger shops.. because when your worker drops tools off a ladder or leaves it at the site or whatever it's less to replace.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The biggest factor in what brand to get is how many puns you can make with the name

eg: DeWilt, DeFault, Will-gently caress-Ye, Mil-Sucky, etc

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Enzo posted:

The differentiators are:
Size
Whether it has a hammer mode
General construction (metal chuck)
Power (particularly whether it has "Flexvolt advantage" ie boost mode with the 60v batteries)

Picking one I'd say your biggest choice is whether you need a hammer drill or not since less have that. I have I think the lowest-end (DCD771) and highest-end (DCD999) DeWalt drills. I'm very happy with the small cheap dcd771, lightweight and the clutch is fantastic for assembling furniture- I can dial it in where the fastener just barely dimples the wood before it cuts out. I've also drilled 1/2" holes through plate steel.

The big one, the dcd999, is much larger and much heavier. But it has a shitload of power and it was the only yellow hammer drill in stock at the store the day I needed one. Among other things I've used it to drill several dozen 1/2" holes in a concrete pond liner in a surprise hazardous pond I found on my sister's property. Holding it one-handed it blasted through 2" of concrete in about 2 seconds.

After you decide on whether you need a hammer drill I wouldn't stress it- they're all powerful, perfectly capable tools. Buy something on sale that feels good in your hand. If you have smaller hands, buy one from the Atomic line. Same batteries, smaller size, same or even more power.

If you can't tell the difference, the differences may not matter much for your needs. Assuming fairly standard needs.

I love my dcd999 but I hate the trend of the higher end drills having electronic clutches. The mechanical clutches were nice because you can feather that last little bit in *just* right

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
gently caress, I think I’m gonna become one of those guys that buys into every battery system and then fastidiously scours Consumer Reports/etc for the best performer/best deal and gets that :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

gently caress, I think I’m gonna become one of those guys that buys into every battery system and then fastidiously scours Consumer Reports/etc for the best performer/best deal and gets that :(

Seems like a real bad idea. I might venture outside of Ryobi for specific things like the ratchet because the common battery on that make the form factor pretty dumb.

Only registered members can see post attachments!