Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Arbite posted:

I'm getting mixed reports on whether the South African show Steve Blackman got so sick at in 89 was a WWF one or not, can you help me out?
From an interview about him getting malaria a few years ago:

quote:

Steve Blackman continued, “[Before catching malaria in South Africa], I came down to [Titan Towers], and I was pushed to go. I had a trial with them and said, ‘I want to wrestle with you guys.’ It was my ultimate goal. But I said, ‘I gave this guy my word that I would wrestle in South Africa, and he’s already got the fliers out.’ I hadn’t even worked a main event, but back then, it was no big deal.

Looking at various sources, Blackman's last recorded match pre-malaria was a try-out for WWF on June 24, 1989 in Michigan, but WWF doesn't appear to have any South Africa shows until 1996. It's notable that in 1989 South Africa was still under Apartheid rule, Nelson Mandela was still jailed, etc.

Maybe because of that, there is no record I can find of any wrestling shows in South Africa in 1989 online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What's to stop someone from coming out as number 31 in the Royal Rumble?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Cavauro posted:

yeah some people just look blown up and start sweating after any amount of exertion even if they aren't tired or dying the way they look. i dont personally know anyone like that just sayi ng it's normal. a lot of cool people have it happen as well

For some reason when I get haircuts I sweat a lot and at the end of the last one the lady touched my back, I think because she was attracted to me? And got worried because she thought she spilled water all over me while washing my hair. I then had to explain that no, I just sweat a lot and that was the reason my shirt was noticeably damp.

I never told this story to anyone please keep it to yourself.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

when i wear latex or nitrile gloves or similar taht happens on my hands. i can relate to you but in a less bad way that isn't as nasty as yours

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That's cheating, and cheating in professional wrestling is taken very seriously.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

there isn't a number 31. they can't win the rumble if they're not a legal participant. you could dump people out of the ring but you wouldn't win anything

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1482200076688703496?s=20
Has this kind of 4-man tower of doom done before? (Almost certainly yes, but I don't remember seeing one)

I know that 1-2-1 variant (two guys give a superplex while one powerbombs them) is pretty common.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

That's how Matanza debuted in S2 of Lucha Underground. Aztec Warfare was 20 people; Dario showed up and unleashed Matanza as 21 and he just murdered everyone in the ring one by one.

Fad
Nov 13, 2002

I dont care.
I have been trying to get into NOAH this year and have spent the past week watching some of the higher rated matches from 2021. One thing that really stands out to me is how hard they strike each other. Especially the slaps.

Is there a safe way to work a slap?

I came across a video on YouTube a few years ago that was some sort of Slapfight Championship and after a minute I noped the gently caress out because that just seemed like a dumb way to hurt yourself.

My head hurts just watching it. Am I just being a mark?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I imagine you just slap lightly, it makes a big noise and the other person sells. Well, that'd be the logical way to do it, in Japan they probably just slap the piss out of each other

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The Japanese are like "Why would you work a slap, or even a chop? It's just soft tissue damage"

You probably get hurt more doing a back bump.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

fez_machine posted:

The Japanese are like "Why would you work a slap, or even a chop? It's just soft tissue damage"

You probably get hurt more doing a back bump.
you can get concussed from a slap to the face pretty easily, especially if you’re taking 30-50 of them inside 3-5 minutes

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

you can get concussed from a slap to the face pretty easily, especially if you’re taking 30-50 of them inside 3-5 minutes

I wouldn't be surprised if its a combination of pulling the slap and rolling with it and just not thinking about the odd detached retina/concussion

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

In Honor of the Bills destroying the hated heels the Patriots for 60 minutes what are some of the best long squash matches. Like stuff that went 10-12 minutes not just 2-5

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

In Honor of the Bills destroying the hated heels the Patriots for 60 minutes what are some of the best long squash matches. Like stuff that went 10-12 minutes not just 2-5

Miyu Yamashita vs Yuki Arai from last month had a couple of hope spots but was mostly Miyu kicking the poo poo out of Arai for 11 minutes and Arai refusing to die

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

The first Eddie Kingston/Tim Donst match in Chikara apparently went 9:37 and was to my memory absolutely brutal.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

A passage in Anthony Burgess' A Clockwork Orange discussing the size of gangs had me wondering - what is the optimum size and make-up of a stable?

For me, it's four or five of one gender, not counting any managers or talkers.

The requirements are:

Leader
Secondary singles wrestler
The enforcer
A tag team

In a stable of four, the secondary singles wrestler and enforcer can occasionally be one and the same.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

SummerSlam 2014 Lesnar vs Cena was 16 minutes, if that counts.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

edogawa rando posted:

A passage in Anthony Burgess' A Clockwork Orange discussing the size of gangs had me wondering - what is the optimum size and make-up of a stable?

For me, it's four or five of one gender, not counting any managers or talkers.

The requirements are:

Leader
Secondary singles wrestler
The enforcer
A tag team

In a stable of four, the secondary singles wrestler and enforcer can occasionally be one and the same.

Depends on the promotion, and specifically on if they have weight classes or not. If you just have your typical US promotion then yeah, four to five is best, but if you have a promotion like say New Japan then six or seven might be better because you also need a Jr singles guy and a Jr tag team, as I feel that a legit stable should be able to go after every title in their division. Of course you can have guys pulling double duty for those roles too, but still.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

For most of their run 37KAMIINA was one of the best stables in the world and only had 4 guys. The leader (Shunma), the Ace (Takeshita), the secondary singles wrestler (Ueno) and the goofball (MAO)

The tag team was whichever two guys weren't busy doing other things on the show.

e: Now they have 5 guys, having added Kojima as the young spitfire

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Did the nWo ever hold all the WCW titles at the same time?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Did the nWo ever hold all the WCW titles at the same time?

No, but in looking this up I discovered that the TV title was never held by anyone in the nWo

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Alaois posted:

No, but in looking this up I discovered that the TV title was never held by anyone in the nWo

Scott Hall held the TV Title and famously threw it in the trash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XobnLJkg8E

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Scott Hall held the TV Title and famously threw it in the trash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XobnLJkg8E

that was in 1999 that doesn't count

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What a pittance!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
As a kid watching Nitro i always cared about the TV title more than the US title. For me the US title was "the DDP title" and the TV matches always featured the more interesting and flamboyant up and comers/midcarders. The Chris Benoit v Booker T best of seven series is ingrained in my memory.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Saucer Crab posted:

The first Eddie Kingston/Tim Donst match in Chikara apparently went 9:37 and was to my memory absolutely brutal.

Yeah, that was going to be my answer. I was there live and it was crazy.

For context, Eddie was fresh off a match against his rival Hallowicked, which ended in a no contest. All he cared about was getting a rematch and the officials didn't think it was worth the trouble. So instead, he was put in a match against Tim Donst, a patriotic amateur wrestling guy who had only a few career matches to his name. Eddie wasn't happy and decided to make an example of Donst.

So Eddie brutalized the kid. Just a long, gnarly beatdown where he kept refusing to go for the pin. The fans went from cheering Eddie on for being stiff to "STOP! HE'S ALREADY DEAD!" to being disturbed to straight-up yelling at Donst to just stay down. By the time Donst was able to get up, look all pissed and started fighting back and holding his own, the crowd was fully behind him. Eddie eventually put him away, but there was an air of desperation to it. Afterwards, Donst was over as hell.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm imaging Eddie Kingston talking to the dude before the match to plan spots and being like "I can put you over, but you might not like it."

Anywhere that I can watch that match?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

CommonShore posted:

I'm imaging Eddie Kingston talking to the dude before the match to plan spots and being like "I can put you over, but you might not like it."

Anywhere that I can watch that match?

It's on the show Showdown In CrisisLand which is on IWTV if you have a sub to that

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Alaois posted:

Konnan beat Chris Jericho for it in 1998.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

konnan was never in the nwo he was a filthy animal

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Alaois posted:

i got your back Alaois. canonically, konnan and k-dogg are two entirely different wrestlers. konnan was never corrupted to the nWo, but k-dogg had both a black & white and a wolfpac run, and a reunion tour! that dastardly k-dogg betraying his lucha bros

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Alaois posted:

yo yo yo lemme speak on this

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

next you're gonna try to tell me something really stupid like Konnan was in the Dungeon of Doom or something

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

sticklefifer posted:

yo yo yo lemme speak on this

Bow wow wow yo yippy yay, arriba la raza, all day and every day!

Bow wow wow yo yippy yay, OIL OF OLAY, all day every day!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

Depends on the promotion, and specifically on if they have weight classes or not. If you just have your typical US promotion then yeah, four to five is best, but if you have a promotion like say New Japan then six or seven might be better because you also need a Jr singles guy and a Jr tag team, as I feel that a legit stable should be able to go after every title in their division. Of course you can have guys pulling double duty for those roles too, but still.

There should absolutely be a minimum of X people, with X being the number of championships available.

As an addendum, 4~5 shouldn't restrict any women (or men, if it's a stable primarily made up of women) being added.

There should also be some sort of aesthetic link going as well, and a purpose to some of the talent. Like, if someone said "put together a stable made up of talent currently or soon-to-be available to, say, AEW" this is what I'd probably put together:

1. Bryan Danielson - Leader
2. Lee Moriarty - Secondary singles wrestler
3. Timothy Thatcher - Enforcer
4. Biff Busick - Tag Team
5. Martin Stone - Tag Team
6. William Regal - Mouthpiece

And if that same someone says "add women," I'd go
7. Marina Shafir
8. Leyla Hirsch
9. Killer Kelly

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

SatoshiMiwa posted:

iirc Daniel Bryan vs. Batista on some random Raw went much longer than they'd intended, at Batista's insistence, and it loving ruled

e: okay I'm wrong, Bryan/Batista only lasted 5:06. Still, that's worth a watch anyway

Venomous fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 16, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
to be fair 'much longer than intended' and 'went five minutes' aren't mutually exclusive in wwe

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gavok posted:

Yeah, that was going to be my answer. I was there live and it was crazy.

Didn't he have a similar match with Shane Storm that left Storm bleeding through his mask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Cerebral Bore posted:

I think in the US at least, the platonic ideal is to have a heavyweight leader, midcarder who's usually a middle/cruiserweight, tag team, and a woman, plus if you have a special attraction belt similar to Hardcore/Pure/X/NEVER. I don't think you necessarily need a heater or enforcer big-man type unless he's one half of your tag team.

It also depends on what the belts mean within the promotion. DG's Triangle Gate (trios) belts are their symbol of "unit supremacy". Even if the Dream Gate champion is in your unit, he might be the best single wrestler and the main eventer, but you're still not necessarily the #1 faction. The idea being that 3 guys holding belts that represent a singular championship are more dominant than any singles wrestler or tag team.